• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have no affiliation other than owning one, but grab a controller from Aim Controllers. Your can customize them and they have a lifetime a warranty. Mine has been amazing!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I really need a PS5 controller with back paddles. On the other $200+ and I find SCUF build quality to be inconsistently questionable.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Eff that noise. I'm just waiting for the 4-button eXtremeRate mod kit to happen. At least then I don't have to hope SCUF didn't make another shitty product with no support.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You could invalidate the need for most of these controllers by implementing gyro aiming correctly.

The back paddles are nice but might as well wait for the official PS5 ones.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
I'd get one if they didn't have the sticks in the same place as the Dualsense. Shame

I assume later down the line we're gonna get a Nacon or Astro controller that can swap stick placement for Dualsense.

third-party-ps4-controller-naconrupv3.jpg.webp

DwvWlKdWsAAY41a.jpg

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I had a SCUF once and I hated almost the entire experience with it. I hope this is better from a QA point of view.

All this does is make me want DualSense Back Buttons, like I thought we were going to get when the Dual Shock Back Buttons were released.

Make it $40 dollars for all I care, Jimbo. Just hurry it up and don't wait until the end of the damn console generation to do it.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Darn patent trolls and their high prices. At least they seem to have made the Home button a proper circle button.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I had a SCUF once and I hated almost the entire experience with it. I hope this is better from a QA point of view.

All this does is make me want DualSense Back Buttons, like I thought we were going to get when the Dual Shock Back Buttons were released.

Make it $40 dollars for all I care, Jimbo. Just hurry it up and don't wait until the end of the damn console generation to do it.
What didn't you like? Honestly I am pretty happy with the DualSense as is because of how well Sony implemented it's features. I love the weight of it and the ergonomics are starting to grow on me. I am going to stay with OG for now.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm just gonna keep waiting for a Sony controller with the left analog in primary position.

Any day now...

skeleton.png

Joo

May 25, 2018
Why is it taking so long to make back paddles
Scuf has patents on back control functions + bunch of other controller related stuff and they licence the use. That's pretty much why DS4's back button attachment exists and Xbox elite is so expensive.

I'd say DualSense already has a very good build quality compared to any other controller I've used, but If Sony would just release a back button attachment like with DS4, for me it paired with DualSense would be as good as any of these way overpriced "pro" controllers.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Should non-multiplayer/shooter player consider or look into these controllers?
Yea back paddle/buttons are a game changer for most games I play and I play plenty of 3rd person single player stuff. It benefits pretty much any game that expects you to heavily use the right stick and face buttons simultaneously.

THAT SAID, I have complicated feelings about SCUF so I'm not necessarily going to go to bat for this particular set of controllers.

You could invalidate the need for most of these controllers by implementing gyro aiming correctly.
I wouldn't say that. Isn't gyro aiming meant to be used to compliment the right stick instead of replace it?

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
AU$380 before shipping, maybe including? Who knows was sold out before I got to the front of the queue. Probably for the best!

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
What didn't you like? Honestly I am pretty happy with the DualSense as is because of how well Sony implemented it's features. I love the weight of it and the ergonomics are starting to grow on me. I am going to stay with OG for now.

With the SCUF? Immediately out of the box, one of my paddles on the Infinity1 worked only 50% of the time. It wouldn't register the button changes in between console cycles 2 replacements in a row (my OG purchase, replacement 1 and replacement 2). And to be honest, their customer support needed some work.

This was back in 2015-2016, however, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt as it may not be that way now. (But I doubt that seriously.)

Juzzomac

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about others, but quality was always quite poor on the PS4 variants I purchased from Scuf. This was partially on Scuf, and partially on the garbage PS4 controller build quality as well.

A lot of pro players (some apparently who even have Scuf sponsorship deals) now use Battle Beavers as the build quality is meant to be a lot better.

Will wait and see on reviews to see how well these are made.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I have the SCUF Instinct Pro for Xbox. My first one had a trigger issue but my replacement is working well.
I use it all the time in halo. Its a really good controller overall.

Sucks that the trigger stops aren't a feature that can be turned on and off and its a separate, most expensive SKU.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Still shocking that sony/Playstation doesn't have an official "Elite" controller with back buttons/paddles. The official buttons add-on for the DS4 was so limited in Germany that it sold out everywhere and sold for x2 or x3 the price from 3rd parties. Don't tell me the BOM would not be almost the same as the dualsense and they could still slap 130€ price tag on it.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
Not sure about others, but quality was always quite poor on the PS4 variants I purchased from Scuf. This was partially on Scuf, and partially on the garbage PS4 controller build quality as well.

A lot of pro players (some apparently who even have Scuf sponsorship deals) now use Battle Beavers as the build quality is meant to be a lot better.

Will wait and see on reviews to see how well these are made.
Battle Beaver is definitely better build wise but the back buttons are so funky.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think I could get along with the back input layout. I still think the Xbox Elite's paddle layout is probably the best though. Never liked the way the old SCUFs looked with just paddles in a row (that said, I've never actually tried one).

Not sure if I'd ever buy one of these, since I hear so many horror stories about SCUF and durability. Although... I hear things about that with elite controllers and I have 3 of those.

wQtv4Jn.jpg

Joo

May 25, 2018
I just don't understand how so expensive controllers can be popular when DualSense probably has similar build quality. They really don't hold back with the prices. Base model costs 220€ in Europe. If the inevitable DS back button attachment has a similar price to the current one, I could buy three DualSenses (65€) and one attachment (25€) for the exact same price. Seems like a great deal.
Still shocking that sony/Playstation doesn't have an official "Elite" controller with back buttons/paddles. The official buttons add-on for the DS4 was so limited in Germany that it sold out everywhere and sold for x2 or x3 the price from 3rd parties. Don't tell me the BOM would not be almost the same as the dualsense and they could still slap 130€ price tag on it.
But the attachment is and has been available for a good while, hasn't it? It's 25€ where I live and while I'm not the most hardcore gamer, it frankly is the only upgrade to the base controller I'd ever be willing to buy. Change that to 200€ DualSense Pro and your target group changes completely. If the controller breaks or you get stick drift, you can just swap your back buttons to a new controller. It's a perfect solution. Couldn't you just buy a Scuf if a pro controller interests you?

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered a Battle Beaver not that long ago. It seems like it has similar button lay out. I like the paddles and all, but it's missing what I really want, which is a PS5 version of the Razer third party controllers:

razer-wolverine-v2-chroma_additional.jpg

Those extra shoulder buttons are more invaluable than you know. Paddles are nice, but extra shoulder buttons are the real game changers.

That looks super nice...but Razer...iffy on that and I think most of theirs are wired no? Would love to see more options like that, more buttons the better.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Proceed with caution. I had a Scuf Vantage for my PS4, kept it updated at all times, and still experienced extremely consistent disconnects, headset problems, and WAY faster wear and tear than should be acceptable at the $200+ pricepoint. The coating on my thumbsticks wore off in less than a year, and one of them started sticking when I clicked it in. The triggers felt very cheap. The back paddles had a cheap clicky feeling to them.

Overall I was extremely disappointed in the controller, and even though I LOVE having back paddles (it changed the way I played Overwatch for the better), I eventually just went back to my DS4 because I the Vantage just felt terrible and kept disconnecting.

Hopefully these have better build quality and are more durable / premium.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
But the attachment is and has been available for a good while, hasn't it? It's 25€ where I live and while I'm not the most hardcore gamer, it frankly is the only upgrade to the base controller I'd ever be willing to buy. Change that to 200€ DualSense Pro and your target group changes completely. If the controller breaks or you get stick drift, you can just swap your back buttons to a new controller. It's a perfect solution. Couldn't you just buy a Scuf if a pro controller interests you?

I was on the hunt for the official Sony attachment shortly after release. Had one on Amazon.de in the shopping cart but said nahh. Then it was just gone everywhere. For a long while. Even posted in the OT for the attachment here crying about it.
I haven't looked after it since PS5 release so, yeah maybe it's not supply restrained anymore but many people moved on to PS5 anyway.

Like you said, an attachment is way cheaper than a whole new controller. I just wanted back paddles/buttons for the DS4 so i used a strikepack for a while. These only work with cable on the DS4 though. If they release an official back buttons add-on for Dualsense I'm in. If not, maybe i would cave one day for one of those 3rd party controllers.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Daily reminder that not a single one of the best CoD/Halo players use these.

This is literally incorrect. Also, pretty sure these controllers are targeted at enthusiast gamers like people who post here...not as "THE OFFICIAL PROFESSIONAL CONTROLLER FOR PROFESSIONALS"

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I'm more curious if they're still using the incredibly cheap and unreliable springs for the triggers as Sony themselves do, which break at an alarming rate.

Considering the durability of Scuf controllers, though, even if they replaced the springs, I'm not sure that would be a worthy trade-off. I have two (one for the Xbox One, one for the PS4), and they're equally terrible, construction-wise. The R2 on the custom DS4 also broke after some time.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Should non-multiplayer/shooter player consider or look into these controllers?

Maybe if you're really into fighting games or sim racers? Otherwise I can't think of a reason for a "Pro" controller like this if you're not into, well, "pro gaming."
fighting games would be really weird with paddles, I'd feel.

I do use them for shooters (I don't play competitive multiplayer), but I love back paddles mainly for convenience as I like not having to press a face-button for simple actions. I think they're great for the Dark Souls games and wouldn't want to play one without a controller with paddles now, simply for the reason I can map L3 to my usual "jump paddle" which makes any platforming area much, much more manageable.

edit: typo

Last edited:

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It looks so much like a DualSense. Did they just buy up a bunch of them, added their own custom stuff & repackage them?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Hilarious to include a price premium on your "competitive" FPS model. The people who buy that controller deserve the price hike haha. What a misstep.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
At least there's an option now, but I just want to use my Dualshock 4 with back buttons. Stop being difficult, Sony.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered a Battle Beaver not that long ago. It seems like it has similar button lay out. I like the paddles and all, but it's missing what I really want, which is a PS5 version of the Razer third party controllers:

razer-wolverine-v2-chroma_additional.jpg

Those extra shoulder buttons are more invaluable than you know. Paddles are nice, but extra shoulder buttons are the real game changers.
Wait, what is this???

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand I really need a PS5 controller with back paddles. On the other $200+ and I find SCUF build quality to be inconsistently questionable.
bought this over the summer and havent looked back
maxresdefault.jpg

takes about maybe an hour or so to install.
one paddle recently snapped and they sent a replacement paddle, new paddles look to be thicker where my old one snapped. So looks like they updated them to be stronger.

you dont even need to solder. I didn't. Soldering is only needed if you want to reprogram the touchpad, L3 and R3 buttons, which seems pointless to do.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
bought this over the summer and havent looked back
maxresdefault.jpg

takes about maybe an hour or so to install.
one paddle recently snapped and they sent a replacement paddle, new paddles look to be thicker where my old one snapped. So looks like they updated them to be stronger.

you dont even need to solder. I didn't. Soldering is only needed if you want to reprogram the touchpad, L3 and R3 buttons, which seems pointless to do.
Not bad as an option but I prefer 4 buttons (actually I'd prefer even more but that's just me). Pretty interesting though.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Is it bad that my first thought is "will these sticks be easier to replace when they inevitably go bad?" Cause end of the day the designs here are based on the DualSense so these sticks are almost certainly going to need to be replaced at some point.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, if I'm going to spend that much on a controller, then I'd rather splurge a little more and get a 2TB SSD instead.

The orange one does look sexy though.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Man this reminds me how much I want paddles on my Xbox Series controller. Two back buttons would be enough (one for jumping one for melee) and I also do not want any of the other features of the official elite controller. I also think it looks terrible in comparison to my white Series pad.

It is probably possible to do a mod of the controller to include two back buttons somehow, but I have no idea how.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Ehhh.
I remember blowing 230 on a scuf vantage and wound up returning it due to couple of problems, the most serious of which were deadzone issues