• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I always hated most about Screwattack is now what defines it. What an interesting turn of events.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, I liked SA when Stuttering Craig and Handsome Tom were doing Video Game Vaults. Don't remember the drama that went on between the two but sounded lame. Back when GT was still around.

Death Battle is fanboy nonsense. Always seemed like a cheap way to get clicks.

Nothing of value lost.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
ScrewAttack was probably my first exposure to internet video and I remember very little about it in retrospect

I just remember them basically uploading the entire Double Dragon movie one time with their riffing and it was pretty good

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I remember seeing their videos a long time ago on GameTrailers... and I still do not forgive them for doing a top 10 Star Wars games in which KoTOR is not the top1. Anyway, it was only last year that I played Metroid 2 and realize where the name came from.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to love screw attack from like 2008 to 2012. Death battle always seemed aggresively dumb to me even as a highschooler when i was watching screw attack

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I was a ScrewAttack junkie, no shame on recognize it. Hardcore fan since the days after Handsome Tom left (no hard feelings or anything, just happened to stumble upon them at that period with Jose, Corey, Destin and Hard News, etc).

For me the site died when they decided to just pursue Death Battle content, since it was the only Youtube content it worked for them, and Craig just left for no reason to pursue streaming and ended up doing exactly the same stuff they did on SA, all while all the remaining SA crew and Game Attack still worked under the same roof and under the same company. It still baffles me. Not to mention the fact that they were proud to be one of the few last independent content producers/creators in the gaming sphere, just to be bought and absorbed by Rooster Teeth later, in something that did little to nothing for them in terms of quality and production.

It was just a matter of time, but what an absolute sad way to see their end.

Last edited:

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I never understood why people watch DeathBattle, they always have lame explanations and the outcome is always easy to predict midway trough the video...

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just looking at their Wiki, they had a lot of stuff in their Top 10s that didn't age well. Calling Poison an "it," saying fat woman cause aggression, lots of stuff like that.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
That's sad to see them close.

I was really big into ScrewAttack back in like 2008-2011 but after that I kinda fell off from their content. I never really liked Death Battle that much from the few times I saw it so I doubt I will be tuning in for that but I do know it's their most popular series on the channel so I can see why they are purely focusing on that content.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I was a ScrewAttack junkie, no shame on recognize it. Hardcore fan since the days after Handsome Tom left (no hard feelings or anything, just happened to stumble upon them at that period with Jose, Corey, Destin and Hard News, etc).

For me the site died when they decided to just pursue Death Battle content, since it was the only Youtube content it worked for them, and Craig just left for no reason to pursue streaming and ended up doing exactly the same stuff they did on SA, all while all the remaining SA crew and Game Attack still worked under the same roof and under the same company. It still baffles me. Not to mention the fact that they were proud to be one of the few last independent content producers/creators in the gaming sphere, just to be bought and absorbed by Rooster Teeth later, in something that did little to nothing for them in terms of quality and production.

It was just a matter of time, but what an absolute sad way to see their end.
I mean technically the Production of DBs have amped up significantly since the merger

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Damn...I remember watching the AVGN Atari 5200 video when it came onto Gametrailers along with some video game vaults and top 10s. I was hooked from there...

I never cared a lot for Death Battle, always seemed to me like one of things fans would get angry at their character for not winning.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I remember watching a few videos of Screw Attack ocasionally after finding AVGN, I liked how back then they used Super Metroid music in the beginning and the end of their videos, I probably didn't watch anything beyond 2010, I usually watched their top 10 and video game vault videos. A while back I rewatched their best and worst Sonic games video which is over 11 years old now, interestingly while Sonic 06 is along the worst games in their list, it isn't the worst for them.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I used to watch them a lot during my school days as a teenager, back when Handsome Tom was still with them, back when they were also partnering with the AVGN and did videos for Gametrailers. The Top 10 and Video Game Vault videos were always great. They were quite entertaining and I fondly remember watching their videos (next to Mega 64's videos) all day instead of studying for exams, haha. Fun times. Haven't been in touch with what they were doing in recent years, only that Rooster Teeth acquired them or something. Never watched a single episode of Death Battle. Never really interested me, just like the same content. Best of luck to them.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion:

I rather liked death battle as a whole. Was it dream match nonsense that I disagreed with almost half the time? Yes, but that was apart of the fun while watching it in my opinion.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Fuck me. Supposedly they are privatizing old videos too!

G1 since 2007. Fuck Death Battle. Fuck Rooster Teeth. Fuck Fullscreen. They killed what I loved. From SGC (wish I was old enough to go while it happened) to Top 10s, Mario Party after Dark to Hard News, Worst Ever to Why We Hate/Love. And the affiliate content, AVGN, Brentalfloss, fucking Game Theory. The blogs, the forums! All gone!!!!

But hey, Death Battle and it's 100001 spinoffs remains. I like Death Battle, I do, but it is not worth this hype and destruction. And fuck them for privatizing old videos to up traffic to Rooster Teeth. They should have just started a new Death Battle channel.

First GameTrailers, then Machinima, now this. Thank god for Easy Allies and Game Attack.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Used to love ScrewAttack back in the day, but ScrewAttack's been more or less dead to me for over half a decade now. The company evolved into a direction I just didn't like, and Death Battle was pretty much the death blow since all the other original shows were gradually being killed off for not hitting its numbers.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They were awesome when they did top 10s with Craig and Nervous Nick but that's all I remember them for. I remember wondering why they didn't just stick to doing top 10s and skits for entertainment. I tried watching their content and the news segment was lame and other stuff they did seemed lame too. However, their top 10 stuff was golden because of the way they delivered it.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching a few videos of Screw Attack ocasionally after finding AVGN, I liked how back then they used Super Metroid music in the beginning and the end of their videos, I probably didn't watch anything beyond 2010, I usually watched their top 10 and video game vault videos. A while back I rewatched their best and worst Sonic games video which is over 11 years old now, interestingly while Sonic 06 is along the worst games in their list, it isn't the worst for them.

I'm glad we as a society have moved past the incorrect notion that Sonic R has bad music. I'm proud of the progress we've made these last ten years

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed ScrewAttack when they were making videos for GameTrailers. After Tom left, I lost some interest and with the death of GT; I lost the remainder.

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching Hard News all the time and those mario party streams were great but after awhile I just kinda fell off. RIP Screw attack

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
The Death Battle series lost me as well. Felt like it catered to a younger demographic.

Looking at their stuff now, it really wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things, but the SD quality + full frame video really dates it.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread showed me that mega64 can still make me laugh. Oh i just remember screwattack from gametrailers. I thought they were gone with the site.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It is a shame for sure, but given the circumstances, it did seem like while Death Battle was on the rise, there wasn't much being done with the other shows. Yeah, there was still the top 10, but by that point, it got overshadowed by Death Battle. Personally, I enjoy the show and animated fights, so I don't see the problem with changing the name out, but it is still the end of Screwattack sadly. But Game Attack is still around, so there's that I suppose.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Kinda pondered about this through the years, but never really put too much thought into it. There's probably an obvious answer, but why isn't this name a copyright issue with Nintendo to begin with? Guess because the term screw attack isn't copyrighted?

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually wondered how ScrewAttack was staying alive since it fell off the zeitgeist of game sites and was seemingly abandoned by social media
well I'm glad the employees are still doing OK there

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt know SA still existed, known them more from their top 10 series
He's still doing them (Nick Cramer) for "The Know" Youtube channel now. Still every Thursday, I believe.

I was thinking about them the other day actually and how they didn't seem to be doing video game stuff anymore. I was like "dude, it's called 'Screwattack!'" Guess not no more.

LIke someone else said: Man, I miss the old Video Game Vaults with Stuttering Craig and Handsome Tom. I watched The Game Heroes when they started up but unfortunately they completely closed up a long time ago IIRC.

I still can't believe they called the name of their store "GameAttack" (or whatever it was actually called). I thought Video Game Vault would've been a great name for a video game store. I guess it's probably likely that the name is already taken? Maybe? By some other store?

edit: I still wear my ScrewAttack hat (the "Craig's Favorite" one) every now and then when I'm feeling really dorky and I want to play video games, lol.
-->edit2: Lol, I found the promo video for when the hat when on sale. The Power of the Hat. Holy Butts! Has it really been 10 freaking years?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man ScrewAttack was the place to go before YouTube got big.
Them and GameTrailers. Gawsh I feel old

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda died way back when Handsome Tom left.
It died when Handsome Tom left.
It was over for me when Tom left, but oh well. Sad to see it '''''die''''' like this.
I really enjoyed ScrewAttack when they were making videos for GameTrailers. After Tom left, I lost some interest and with the death of GT; I lost the remainder.

Yup, I was the same. Craig didn't have someone to play off of the same way, even if Tom just wanted to spend most his time smoking pot or whatever (that's the feeling I got, no evidence).

Oct 25, 2017

No lie, I would totally buy Steam ports of Sonic the Fighters and Sonic R. Hell, I've come close to picking up the XBLA port of the former.

Can't believe I sold my copy of Sonic Gems Collection.