• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope Epic succeeds. Competition is good, and at minimum one or both stores will have to improve.

It's not directly related, but he's mentioned that his videos that are more positive tend to get a pitiful amount of views. That would probably include glowing reviews of hidden gems.

StEaM iS a MoNoPoLy. Le CoMpEtITiOn.

For god sake are we not passed just saying competition aimlessly yet, when Epic are actively undermining the options for where consumers can buy games?

I don't have any issue with Steam having competitors at all, but Epic can get to fuck.
I sincerely hope this becomes another dark footnote in the lexicon of PC Gaming next to GFWL.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I find the vitriol against "moneyhatting" weird when platform-funded console exclusives are such a huge selling point and reason to invest in a platform.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I find the vitriol against "moneyhatting" weird when platform-funded console exclusives are such a huge selling point and reason to invest in a platform.

The key difference is that moneyhatted games themselves aren't funded by the platform itself e.g. Epic did not fund Metro: Exodus. For platform-funded console exclusives, those games don't exist without the platform. That's why people have fewer problems with the likes of Origin limiting their games to that specific platform (or with console exclusives, as you say).

If Epic want to fund games in development for exclusivity, that's their own business. Not ideal, but better than the current situation.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the features for what you want is there (friend activity is probably closer to what you are looking for as they actually allow you to see it:
https://store.steampowered.com/recommended/friendactivity/
Also, small communities can do curator pages! Which is what a lot of groups do like for instace:
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/6871651/

They need to make them more integral to the web experience but the basics of what you want is there.

I'm well aware of that page, I mentioned it, but show me something simple like RPGs my friends played. I can find friend recommendations on the category page but with no idea of how long or much they enjoyed, even in the product page.

To me, that sounds like literally every storefront in gaming atm that doesn't have less than 100 games on it.
We have threads for eshop, Mobile, Xbox, and PSN that do just that on this forum alone.

That's true. The curation issue isn't exclusive to Steam.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017

Yes when they help fund the game such as Bayonetta 2 or even SFV (they have gone on record the game would've never happened if Sony didn't help fund the game).

If Epic actually helped fund the games they brought I would actually say that they are competing rather than just taking game that would've already come out on steam and just going "nope"

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
This whole thread in general makes me happy that I gave up building PC's and PC gaming years ago.

I don't even know what to say to shit posting like that.

First make a woefully misguided argument for purchasing exclusivity in favor of the Epic Store, then state that you don't care for PC gaming to begin with.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong.. not at all. But Steam has other problems too. There is so much gambling involved on so many different levels in this store and the games. It's almost scary. And just too much of everything, if you understand what I mean. That's why I didn't log into my account for the whole last year. Guys, I just can't find the fun in this store anymore, it's kinnda buried under all this shit. And, the first thing Valve has to do, to get me back: investment in new games. Take this 30 percent and create new exciting games, come on Valve.
yeah he's pretty wrong about the whole thing. Not even including all the things wrong with the Epic store that he's promoting. Steam has issues but overall the issues are not that bad and i have more faith in them fixing them than epic doing work on their store.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I mean, it's not like they're saying 'playable on Nvidia only . . .' It's bullshit, the PC has been and will always be an open platform, unless the scumbags at Epic have their way.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the most sensible and realistic solution is to keep games on Steam's store for a set period, and then sunset them. Buyers can redownload them as often as wanted, but the ability to buy the game is removed. I'm not sure how much sales would be impacted if this window was set at five years, for example. I doubt many games keep doing big numbers after five years on Steam.
I can't believe what I'm reading.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm well aware of that page, I mentioned it, but show me something simple like RPGs my friends played. I can find friend recommendations on the category page but with no idea of how long or much they enjoyed, even in the product page.

That's true. The curation issue isn't exclusive to Steam.
Sorry for misunderstanding. I have tried to do that but it seems that the tag system doesnt work on that page (look, another thing they need to improve on!). You can probably tweak the Activity page to only see what your friends are doing but even then it wont be tag based.
They really should improve the Activity page (hopefully the next UI, as they said it would be more community based... LOL)

The friend recommendations tell you how long they have been playing just below the Recommended and they are featured first on the review part of the page (same as curators you follow). On the recommendation page, you need to see the "full review" to see it (i kidna get why, to avoid cluttering the screen but it is important). Recommended also tends to encourage writing a review so you should see whether or not they liked it.
unknown.png

unknown.png

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's not like they're saying 'playable on Nvidia only . . .' It's bullshit, the PC has been and will always be an open platform, unless the scumbags at Epic have their way.

Always is a strong claim. Publishers and store front owners all want a piece of the pie and exclusive content is an easy way to get some pie.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Right. So maybe instead of dodging the question you could clarify? What exactly is good about Epic's brand of competition? Why should I as a consumer care about Epic? """""""""competition"""""""""

4MMNPuHSJMGikghCAHgc4M-650-80.png

7miltc7kmi321.png

kWdcbdE.png

Etc...

Do you honestly even play on PC? Can't say I see you much, if at all, in the majority of big PC threads... Curious why you'd even pretend to give a shit.
Pretty much spot on.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The key difference is that moneyhatted games themselves aren't funded by the platform itself e.g. Epic did not fund Metro: Exodus. For platform-funded console exclusives, those games don't exist without the platform. That's why people have fewer problems with the likes of Origin limiting their games to that specific platform (or with console exclusives, as you say).

If Epic want to fund games in development for exclusivity, that's their own business. Not ideal, but better than the current situation.

Yes, this I completely agree with.

What Epic are doing is anti-consumer, all the evidence that exists shows that to be the case, competition should mean choice for the consumer, choice of where to buy their products.

I have said this before but if Epic really want to be the market leader on PC they should drop the exclusive nonsense and just make a better platform than Steam with all the features it has (and more) and then offer lower prices for products.

Also, they should sort out their customer service because it's attrocious (worse than steam which takes some doing.)

I also don't like the ability for devs to essentially opt out of having reviews on their product from real customers, that's a big no no for me.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Right. So maybe instead of dodging the question you could clarify? What exactly is good about Epic's brand of competition? Why should I as a consumer care about Epic? """""""""competition"""""""""

7miltc7kmi321.png

kWdcbdE.png

Etc...

Do you honestly even play on PC? Can't say I see you much, if at all, in the majority of big PC threads... Curious why you'd even pretend to give a shit.

This pretty much summarises things perfectly.

Phrost

Dec 8, 2018
True. And honestly it's shocking that that level of filtering doesn't exist yet.

Some of you folks have no chill. Acknowledging that Steam has problems and that Valve hasn't done what it takes to address those problems doesn't mean "Cancel Steam". It means that they either don't know how to fix the problems, or that they're fine with the platform as it is and are fine to leave it be as long as it keeps pulling in stupid levels of money for them.

I feel like this is the right attitude. Steam has its issues, sure, but they've been making incremental improvements for about fifteen years now. Not everything they do turns out to be a good idea, but Steam is still the de-facto PC gaming store and does a good job carrying that torch for the most part. Sometimes, things fall through the cracks. Rape Day wasn't even released for purchase. I don't really see what the big deal is. Epic's anti-consumer practices are a much bigger problem in my eyes.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Obviously Steam needs to improve a lot. But using actual curation as an advantage on Epic Store's part will never not be stupid.

Pretty much any indie dev that have a hard time to sell on Steam because it has "too many games" wouldn't have their game curated to be into the Epic Store. Pretty much every game on Epic Store would sell well on Steam because devs are already famous.

Not mentioning how barebones are the services on Epic Store's part.

The better revenue split is pretty much the thing that can be used on Epic's favor, but people like to create the narrative that Steam had a bigger split than most store when 30% were always the standard. It's just silly.

Edit: I think in the end we need a big and strong store to compete with Steam on the same ground, but it's sad that people are citing the Epic Store as a good example. There's zero chance Epic will be relevant in the future with a service so shitty, and unless they spend money to get exclusives forever, there's no motive to even thinking in using the store.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As a potential customer, I find the behavior of Epic simply annoying and intrusive. Have to say gog had some good deals over the years but not even this platform managed to win me over. Despite it's flaws, I will continue my purchases there. That's what I'm doing for almost 15 years. I do not want to create multiple accounts and Steam got some very convenient features. So, actually, screw Epic, they are not my cup of tea but I do think they will win over a lot of customers with their penetration.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
7miltc7kmi321.png

Wow, that's kind of a weird infographic in general. Reminds me of the really cheap and lazy arguments you'd see escape 4chan from time to time. First time in quite a while I've seen anyone think about Big Picture Mode as a useful feature. I'm also not sure I'd call the steam system "unlimited refunds" but that's just me.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7miltc7kmi321.png

Wow, that's kind of a weird infographic in general. Reminds me of the really cheap and lazy arguments you'd see escape 4chan from time to time. First time in quite a while I've seen anyone think about Big Picture Mode as a useful feature. I'm also not sure I'd call the steam system "unlimited refunds" but that's just me.
Plenty people play PC on their TVs. Steam is the only one providing a decent UI with controller support for that and it is used by plenty people.

Phrost

Dec 8, 2018
7miltc7kmi321.png

Big Picture mode is an important feature though, for you know.. Big Pictures. How else would you stream your game on a Steam Link/Nvidia Shield?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
7miltc7kmi321.png

Really, Big Picture is the thing you take issue with on that list? There's like at least 5 more features on that are clearly less useful.

Being able to easily launch your games with a controller with not touching KBAM via BPM is an obviously useful feature.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for misunderstanding. I have tried to do that but it seems that the tag system doesnt work on that page (look, another thing they need to improve on!). You can probably tweak the Activity page to only see what your friends are doing but even then it wont be tag based.
They really should improve the Activity page (hopefully the next UI, as they said it would be more community based... LOL)

The friend recommendations tell you how long they have been playing just below the Recommended and they are featured first on the review part of the page (same as curators you follow). On the recommendation page, you need to see the "full review" to see it (i kidna get why, to avoid cluttering the screen but it is important). Recommended also tends to encourage writing a review so you should see whether or not they liked it.
unknown.png

unknown.png

The game you screenshotted is, supposedly My Time At Portia, a Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley type of game. How the heck is it similar to Starpoint Gemini 2 and 7 Days to Die?

"Do you like starship combat simulators and zombie survival games? Well then you'll loooooove this modern interpretation of Harvest Moon!"

And you wonder why I think they need manual curation.

Anyway, that's still not the level of recommendation I believe Steam should have. At the very least it should be easier to see your friend's recommendation.

I don't understand this discussion we're having because on one hand I'll say that Steam's curation needs work and you show me an example of their tools that need work.

Steam should, at the very least, put as much effort into curating its catalog and recommendations as fans do on random communities. What they currently have is not organized in a simple, or intuitive enough, manner to be more useful than some hand-picked title lists on forum posts for me.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The game you screenshotted is, supposedly My Time At Portia, a Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley type of game. How the heck is it similar to Starpoint Gemini 2 and 7 Days to Die?

Anyway, that's still not the level of recommendation I believe Steam should have. At the very least it should be easier to see your friend's recommendation.

I don't understand this discussion we're having because on one hand I'll say that Steam's curation needs work and you show me an example of their tools that need work.

Steam should, at the very least, put as much effort into curating its catalog and recommendations as fans do on random communities. What they currently have is not organized in a simple, or intuitive enough, manner to be more useful than some hand-picked title lists on forum posts for me.
I mean, my point is that the tools are in there but need to be organized in a simple or intuitive manner! So I guess we are in the same side (which is what i was trying to do regardlesS).
Edit : I think those two games appear due to the combination of Open World + Simulation tag. Their "More like this" recommendation is quite good, in this case it is just trying to fit a game I dont really play a ton of the genre in PC into me (as I havent played Stardew on PC).

Last edited:

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched the video and I do agree Jim has some valid points. Yes, Valve should have been quick to nip this in the bud and get rid of the store page because I'm pretty sure they received quite a few messages in their inbox about it. Yes, Valve should have done a better job at their PR statement in condemning the game and its content the game is trying to showcase just a tad more. In the end, developers would love to jump at the chance of being showcased somewhere else that has a curation system and a better cut for them compared to Steam, just so they won't be associated with any of those kind of games.

However, the reality is not every dev will get on Discord or Epic because again, it's going to be heavily curated. I mean sure, they'll probably allow the developers who had success and name recognition come in, no problem. However, what about the Team Cherrys, the D-Pad Studios, the Toby Fox's, the Daniel Mullins', and the Madruga Works studios and companies who don't have a proven track record?? They will most likely get rejected or put to the side. This is why Valve wanted a hands off approach and let just about any developer in...sometimes any of those developers can strike gold and not only make a great game for the PC gaming audience but make Valve money.

Now, we're getting to the point that Valve should be curated again. Developers want their own spotlight but in this case, don't really care about other games or even the PC audience. They just want to make sure the spotlight is on them. With politicians now eyeing Valve, maybe they'll have to stop being so hands off. I sincerely doubt Valve will put it a lot of effort to manually curate and patrol every single game if they want the floodgates open. So possibly the next best thing Valve will want to do is perhaps go back to the way things were: bring up the Steam Direct fee so that not anyone can just post a garbage, asset flip game. However, this will hurt other developers who don't have the name recognition or the backing of a publisher. It's not an ideal solution, just a band aid one. Unfortunately it's what companies, developers, journalists, and even a small fraction of the PC gaming audience wants. It's just sad to see the PC gaming landscape being veered into this direction.

This is what I want to see from both Steam and Epic

Epic
  • Features to convince me that their launcher is worth moving over to
  • A explanation on how their curation will work when they allow more games (I'm gonna be rather annoyed if their idea is to effectively ignore certain devs like GoG did)
My big worry with Epic is going to be slow on the uptake for new features and telling me the kind of games I want to play. The whole "Indie Devs get more of a cut" doesn't mean shit to me if it's not the indie devs on the smaller scale who actually need it. I love super giant games, but them getting more of a cut on their titles tht sell 200K+ doesn't mean as much as say one of my favorite horror indie devs who has a small fandom getting the same cut, but being denied that because Epic doesn't think they're a good fit for their platform.

Steam
  • A Team to look-over anything being put on the store that's going under the "21+ rating"
  • There should do more to promote devs on the platform. Have stuff like the weekly more pronounced. Similar to how PSN does Flash Sales.
The complaints on curation for steam i'm rather whatever on. Yes, they allow a lot on the platform. But that allows a lot of indie devs to be able to start somewhere with more possibility of success than sticking to just say itch.io. In general, the curation tools Steam currently uses do a good job of offering you what you want. The only time i'm running into asset flip games is when I go digging for them. So you're never really in a "the only games i'm seeing a trash" situation unless you force yourself into that. However, they could definitely do more in terms of getting rid of really bad stuff (like they did with rape day) without it needing to be a gaming headline to do so. That's by far their biggest issue with curation.

Overall, I prefer being able to find what will appeal to me with numerous tools (Current what steam does) over being TOLD what I like (This is currently what GoG does and potentially what Epic might do). The idea that the devs that actually need that bigger cut might be walled off from Epic absolutely bothers me more than anything else atm and I wish they'd just say what the case is there.

I also agree that I'm not in favor of Epic's way of plucking developers who already have the brand recognition but leave out any developers with a solid game they can prove is fun, innovating, and rewarding. The latter are the ones that need the exposure. I also hate the fact that it excludes any store, not just Steam, for one year. While Discord does this as well, at least they give a chance towards developers that you may never heard of and offer an exclusivity window of just 90 days. I can live with that.

Last edited:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit : I think those two games appear due to the combination of Open World + Simulation tag.

Please don't justify or defend that archaic "similar to" system. You know and I know, just at a glance, that those games aren't remotely similar, all 3 of them.

This is an example of why automated curation doesn't work. It can work for certain things like friends activity or reviews but it isn't a replacement for basic cognitive ability. Linking together wildly different games based on broad-meaning tags isn't good enough. Steam can afford manual curation.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (5 Days) - Continued History of Platform Warring
Till last year, i found tiresome how everyone was always parading unreal engine and asking developer to just use it instead of every other engine, because it awesome, and etc. I didn't liked how people were so happy on to see everyone use the same technology, and not see another engine stand ground on it too. them the epic store opened.

And, now, i'm the one championg the epic store, because i found tiresome how everyone is always parading steam and asking developer to just use it instead of every other store front, because its awesome, and etc. I don't liked how people were so happy on to see everyone use the same technology, and not see another store front stand ground on it too.

So, i don't really care who "wins" or "loses", as long as they keep battling forever. #unrealCrap #goEpicStore

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Do you like starship combat simulators and zombie survival games? Well then you'll loooooove this modern interpretation of Harvest Moon!"

And you wonder why I think they need manual curation.

i'm sorry but this is a really dumb post.
7 Days to Die does have its similarities with Portian in terms of overall gameplay loop. It's not really that much of a stretch. Also, if the user hasn't played many games like it, naturally Steam won't be able to use those, so they use whatever's closest. That's absolutely fine.

If you bothered to actually check the "More Like This" section of the page, here's what you'd find

semttulojmkdd.png

looks to be working perfectly fine.
Till last year, i found tiresome how everyone was always parading unreal engine and asking developer to just use it instead of every other engine, because it awesome, and etc. I didn't liked how people were so happy on to see everyone use the same technology, and not see another engine stand ground on it too. them the epic store opened.

And, now, i'm the one championg the epic store, because i found tiresome how everyone is always parading steam and asking developer to just use it instead of every other store front, because its awesome, and etc. I don't liked how people were so happy on to see everyone use the same technology, and not see another store front stand ground on it too.

So, i don't really care who "wins" or "loses", as long as they keep battling forever. #unrealCrap #goEpicStore
No one has asked for people to use steam instead of every other store front, people want it to be available on as many stores as possible.
Of course, it wouldn't be a EGS thread without you coming in with uninformed shitposts.
Please don't justify or defend that archaic "similar to" system. You know and I know, just at a glance, that those games aren't remotely similar, all 3 of them.

This is an example of why automated curation doesn't work. It can work for certain things like friends activity or reviews but it isn't a replacement for basic cognitive ability. Linking together wildly different games based on broad-meaning tags isn't good enough. Steam can afford manual curation.
I've just used the function above in like 10 different games and they all returned mostly actual similar games. It's working fine.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You could have saved a few words by just typing "I like being a contrarian"

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Why is a thread about Steam's excess and lack of giving a shit not about how much of a cesspool Steam is and how Steam is doing everything short of endorsing the alt right's fuckery and instead focusing on storefront wars? Who gives a shit which store has better features, that's not the point of the video

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes let us all embrace worse options instead of trying to ensure a better system of game moderation across the board. I like Jim, he's spoken about a lot of things that needed to be spoken about but I disagree with his blanket statement here in that Steam is ultimately shit and we should just embrace the competition solely to "teach them a lesson" so to speak. Doing so won't teach anyone a lesson, it will just enable Epic to keep being shit with their own practices such as unhealthy moneyhatting while claiming it is competition and totally not a monopoly, bare minimum standards for a storefront, highly selective game listings and straight up bullshit refund practices that feel like a day in court.

Standards need to be upheld, Valve needs to continue proper monitoring of their store and not allow such utter trash like that rape game to come in as it isn't a showcase of diversity or imagination but a means to channel hatred by the creator for a particular topic. Giving Epic leeway is not the answer either, they need to be held against standards too but their issues are not linked into Steam's game moderation policies as they are two separate discussion entities.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm sorry but this is a really dumb post.
7 Days to Die does have its similarities with Portian in terms of overall gameplay loop. It's not really that much of a stretch. Also, if the user hasn't played many games like it, naturally Steam won't be able to use those, so they use whatever's closest. That's absolutely fine.

If you bothered to actually check the "More Like This" section of the page, here's what you'd find

semttulojmkdd.png

looks to be working perfectly fine.

No one has asked for people to use steam instead of every other store front, people want it to be available on as many stores as possible.
Of course, it wouldn't be a EGS thread without you coming in with uninformed shitposts.

It's funny that every time I point out something that I feel needs improvement or isn't working properly on Steam people find examples of other things that do work better to justify the ones that aren't. I guess its easier to be dismissive than to try to understand that perhaps some things need improvement, and perhaps automated curation doesn't always work. Though that seems harder to say that than to just say "it's dumb".

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that every time I point out something that I feel needs improvement or isn't working properly on Steam people find examples of other things that do work better to justify the ones that aren't. I guess its easier to be dismissive than to try to understand that perhaps some things need improvement, and perhaps automated curation doesn't always work, but I guess it's harder to say that than to just say "it's dumb".
This is the thing you saying isn't working, working.

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This whole thread in general makes me happy that I gave up building PC's and PC gaming years ago.

What is even the point in your comments if all you are doing is stirring the pot? You clearly have no investment interest in the ecosystem, believe moneyhatting is fine on an open platform unlike consoles and just outright give no shits. At least be constructive in your comments and not simply bait out some hits.

Moneyhatting is bad for PC gaming. We don't get storefronts investing in game development of third party titles so why should they receive exclusive rights to sell a game? Epic already has engine muscle, they should not at all be encouraged to steal games off other platforms, especially ones so close to release like Metro. Instead they should be encouraging proper market impact through diversified library listings and cheaper game prices due to the developer/storefront cut.

But hey, fuck PC gaming right?

7miltc7kmi321.png

I actively use my Steam Controller and Steam Link to play on my lounge room TV when I can because a bigger TV is nice but the added keyboard-like controls that the Steam Controller offers is icing on the cake. It is a legitimate solution to PC gaming on a big screen and its a fucking amazing feature.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the thing you saying isn't working, working.

That is not the example I commented on. Because of your account being different and your library being different your automated recommendations are different. Sometimes it will work better for certain titles than for others.

I agree that for your account those recommendations seem relevant.

I disagree with everything else you said.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not the example I commented on. Because of your account being different and your library being different your automated recommendations are different. Sometimes it will work better for certain titles than for others.

I agree that for your account those recommendations seem relevant.

I disagree with everything else you said.
It's essentially the exact same feature, one just looks at what games you played, the other presents similar games in general.
If that user hasn't played any games similar to Portia, how is that screenshot supposed to be bad? And how in hell would curation fix it? Valve can't curate manually for each individual user. Certainly can't make up games he hasn't played either.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Why is a thread about Steam's excess and lack of giving a shit not about how much of a cesspool Steam is and how Steam is doing everything short of endorsing the alt right's fuckery and instead focusing on storefront wars? Who gives a shit which store has better features, that's not the point of the video

I guess one thing that I'd be curious about is if Epic wasn't offering these signing bonuses and a less significant cut but still wanted exclusivity if as many indie folks would still take these deals. Based on the argument Sterling's putting forth, I think they'd still get a lot of people who are interested even if they wouldn't have the moneyhat stuff, even if they wouldn't necessary be of the level of name recognition of Super Meat Boy.

Jktpnymonorel

Banned
Jan 19, 2018

7miltc7kmi321.png

kWdcbdE.png

Etc...

I didnt even know epic store doesnt let you refund/leave review...

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It allows refunds in some form now, those infographics are a tad outdated. It isn't as easy as Steam that's for sure, and so much more of a runaround that it basically makes you want to not refund but it is there.

I guess one thing that I'd be curious about is if Epic wasn't offering these signing bonuses and a less significant cut but still wanted exclusivity if as many indie folks would still take these deals. Based on the argument Sterling's putting forth, I think they'd still get a lot of people who are interested even if they wouldn't have the moneyhat stuff, even if they wouldn't necessary be of the level of name recognition of Super Meat Boy.

The problem is Epic is doing just as badly with curation of games, but in the opposite end of the field. Instead of allowing anything and everything and reviewing it with AI they are just straight up denying anyone that isn't high profile. So realistically your indie devs that aren't Super Meat are never going to get on to Epic's store and be given that dev cut chance. Instead they have to go on Steam and hope they can profile it high enough.

That is crap, for both ends of the spectrum and where both need to improve. Sterling saying one is suddenly better than the other because it doesn't have a rape game is burying the lede that both are shit at curation in their own respects. And neither wants to be better.

Nov 8, 2017
That is crap, for both ends of the spectrum and where both need to improve. Sterling saying one is suddenly better than the other because it doesn't have a rape game is burying the lede that both are shit at curation in their own respects. And neither wants to be better.

Someone can dig up the exact quote but in interviews Sergei said they planned to have [insert very large number] of games being added per week, which means the Epic store is eventually going to end up with the same major problem Steam's discovery has, i.e. too many games if it's successful. Although obviously if it did have more than 5000 games right now it would have zero mechanisms to deal with the flood, unlike Steam which has many. Those will all need to be added too.

Once you cross the threshold into multiple games per day, over a period of years you wind up with basically the same discoverability issues, the superlatively high numbers Steam posts are not notably more of an issue than 1/2 or 1/4 of it's current numbers would be.

Deleted member 11832

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curation is trash, there are a lot of games refused on GoG that were accepted on Steam, PSN et Eshop. I don't want a shop to decide who live or die.

Free entry for games allow some of them to become surprise phenomenons (Stardew Valley, Undertale...). Awful crap like Rape Day would have sunk in the depth of steam database if video games website didn't decide to promote them so much.

Exactly. The trash doesn't even surface on people's steam unless you are actively looking for it (like Jim does).

His anti-steam position is incredibly armful for the media. We've had so many great surprise hits that would have never happened without it.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

7miltc7kmi321.png

kWdcbdE.png

Etc...

I hate to say it, but Valve is by far the best monopoly company I can think of.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Steam has gotta clean up because if it doesn't use moderate curation we're gonna have a tumblr situation where they just blanket ban everything that a robot thinks looks slightly sus. Tumblr refused to police anything until suddenly they were pulled off of app stores and losing advertisers, now it's hardly usable.
If the presence of other stores can force Valve's hand, it's a good thing.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Wow this is the first time in years that I agree with what Jim has to say.

This is a weird day.

Same here. Never thought I'd say that but Steam and its general apathy towards misogynistic, racist, homophobic games and the toxic culture surrounding them is more important to me then saving a few bucks on the original game or cloud saves or forums. Hear hear.