• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Uhm, what? No! :) This sounds terrible. Limiting the supply? That is EPICs way.
How often do you buy a game that's a decade old on Steam?

I buy old games all the time, I think that's a terrible idea. I bet Modern Warfare 2 keeps selling copies and that game is almost 10 years old.
Sure, some games do keep selling year after year, but the vast majority don't. And Steam is such a mess at the moment that maybe a solution is to sunset the ability to purchase titles if proper curation will never be a thing on the platform.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure that there is a clear solution here. At brick and mortar stores, games only remain in circulation for a limited time. They may be in stock for years if the game is popular enough, but you're not going to find copies of games that came out in 2003 on shelves at GameStop. On Steam and similar digital services, games can remain on the store in perpetuity, which while convenient for anyone that wants to buy a game thirteen years after it came out, eventually contributes to a growing sense of bloat that hinders the ability to find games without being very specific in terms of what it is you're looking for.

I wonder if the most sensible and realistic solution is to keep games on Steam's store for a set period, and then sunset them. Buyers can redownload them as often as wanted, but the ability to buy the game is removed. I'm not sure how much sales would be impacted if this window was set at five years, for example. I doubt many games keep doing big numbers after five years on Steam.
This is completely at odds with the entire concept of GaaS and doesn't even address the bloat issue the the vast majority of games on Steam are brand new. People's search results are getting bogged down by GOG-type PC classics, they're getting bogged down by all the other indie games that are getting dropped every day. See:

Also, half of the top 10 games on Steam right now have been on sale for more than 5 years.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of whether or not your a fan of Steam or Epic, Valve has the money to actually have people do moderation instead of having an algorithm try and fail at curating this stuff. If there are too many junk games coming out on your platform that you have to have an algorithm do it instead of people, that should tell you right there something needs to change.

What kind of algorithm that pass a game with "Rape" in the title?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, some games do keep selling year after year, but the vast majority don't. And Steam is such a mess at the moment that maybe a solution is to sunset the ability to purchase titles if proper curation will never be a thing on the platform.
I mean, the freaking best thing of PC Gaming is being able to play any game ever in the platform. The idea of disallowing purchases of old games once a certain period passes is the most "I dont really care about PC Gaming" idea in this freaking forum.

And I guess a ton of people cares about old games , taking into consideration the huge amount of developers that basically ported their entire back catalogue to Steam.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Oh man, everything from about 8:10-11:10 is straight fire. This basically sums up how I've felt about the value of the rise of the Epic Game Store. Steam has gone in such an extreme direction regarding their platform that the PC landscape desperately needs alternatives.

There are costs to this transition, but I'm ready to leave the world where I need to give money to a company that either adjusts its behavior to avoid angering hateful/racist/misogynist gamers or is comprised of these type of ppl.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the freaking best thing of PC Gaming is being able to play any game ever in the platform. The idea of disallowing purchases of old games once a certain period passes is the most "I dont really care about PC Gaming" idea in this freaking forum.

And I guess a ton of people cares about old games , taking into consideration the huge amount of developers that basically ported their entire back catalogue to Steam.
I said it was an idea. Maybe it's a bad idea. That's not a reason to suggest I don't care. The main problem is, Steam is fucked. There are ways to unfuck it, but nothing that Valve has done thus far has been meaningful in that regard.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the most sensible and realistic solution is to keep games on Steam's store for a set period, and then sunset them. Buyers can redownload them as often as wanted, but the ability to buy the game is removed. I'm not sure how much sales would be impacted if this window was set at five years, for example. I doubt many games keep doing big numbers after five years on Steam.

So pretty much remove what makes digital games unique, that's not a good idea (edit: orginal statement said it was the worst idea, but that's pretty rude to go for I apologise greatly on that Hailinel)

Do you know that's GOG's entire business right?

First of all yes I think steam needs much better curation since stuff like that game should've never been seen ever, but that doesn't really relate to epics "pay to keep this game off steam" kind of "competition" (spoiler: that's not competition in the slightest or at least good competition for consumers).

I want to ask how people reacted to the whole rise of the tomb raider on xbox one timed exclusivity deal that happened, if you are mad about this, congratulations Epic is literally doing the same thing right now. Hell, even Jim made a video about Rise of the Tomb Raider, so why suddenly turn around and say Epic is doing the right thing.

Seriously Steam needs to improve their services but going with "Steam needs to die go Epic" is not really helpful to anything.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It happens and i want all options open. :)
Older games do not need to go. Valve could add some more filters to the search function to filter games after release year.
True. And honestly it's shocking that that level of filtering doesn't exist yet.
So cancel steam? Cheerlead EGS exclusively deals? Give up?
Some of you folks have no chill. Acknowledging that Steam has problems and that Valve hasn't done what it takes to address those problems doesn't mean "Cancel Steam". It means that they either don't know how to fix the problems, or that they're fine with the platform as it is and are fine to leave it be as long as it keeps pulling in stupid levels of money for them.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe people like Jim with a huge audience or the mainstream gaming media should use their reach to cover unknown indie games that apparently get drowned by all that shit that releases on Steam on a daily basis. I mean, they always say how much they care about (indie) devs but yet I usually hear about those unkown games from Steam curators, my Steam activity feed or the PC thread on here. Maybe Twitter as well to a lesser extent.

I'm going to guess that there's no money in doing that, so they don't.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

This is probably the worst idea possible.
edit:

All the time. Ushering out classics like System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Wizardry, Fallout 1-2, Jagged Alliance and countless others in favour of giving extra room to flavour of the month games is insane.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I truly hope Epic succeeds. Competition is good, and at minimum one or both stores will have to improve.
It's not directly related, but he's mentioned that his videos that are more positive tend to get a pitiful amount of views. That would probably include glowing reviews of hidden gems.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Regardless of whether or not your a fan of Steam or Epic, Valve has the money to actually have people do moderation instead of having an algorithm try and fail at curating this stuff. If there are too many junk games coming out on your platform that you have to have an algorithm do it instead of people, that should tell you right there something needs to change.

I strongly disagree with this. Assault Android Cactus is my favorite twin-stick shooter ever. Yet it was refused by "curated" storefronts like GoG and Origin.

Also, Steam DOES have curators. In fact they have hundreds of them. You are free to follow any curators that you like. I really don't see how this is worse than only the storefront owner doing curation. Unless you don't actually use Steam and are only fed up by videos like this.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
True. And honestly it's shocking that that level of filtering doesn't exist yet.

Some of you folks have no chill. Acknowledging that Steam has problems and that Valve hasn't done what it takes to address those problems doesn't mean "Cancel Steam". It means that they either don't know how to fix the problems, or that they're fine with the platform as it is and are fine to leave it be as long as it keeps pulling in stupid levels of money for them.

I said it was an idea. Maybe it's a bad idea. That's not a reason to suggest I don't care. The main problem is, Steam is fucked. There are ways to unfuck it, but nothing that Valve has done thus far has been meaningful in that regard.

Ok, so I have no chill.

Long story short, steam used to be heavily curated, greenlight came along, after issues with greenlight, they decided to open it up. They weren't entirely ready and recently they're trying to position themselves as "its good as long as it's not illegal". Welp, that better fucking change lol. I'm sure it will. They've never found a medium between accepting all games or letting in only a few. On one hand, Rape Day. On the other hand, maybe a great game doesn't get in, and who is another to judge what a "good" game is? Some people just hate sci fi trading sims but others love them.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 days): platform warring/gatekeeping

And this is why console user's opinion is irrelevant to these discussions.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, even if you filter out all the trash there are still A LOT of good and competing games on Steam. How should Valve solve this?

You want me to solve all of Steam's curation problems for free, with little to no data on a forum post? That's a bit of a tall order. But just like when you are cleaning a messy room, starting by taking out the trash is always a good option.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Again, what I don't understand is why I am forced to be railroaded to one specific ideology instead of picking and choosing from both. I support lax curation AND the removal of games like Rape Day. I support lax curation in terms of subjective quality (which means I don't want a Valve employee deciding for me what is good enough or fun enough to buy) and I support the strict culling of fake games, offensive games and trolling attempts. There is no reason why I am forced to choose one or the other. Both can and should be applied simultaneously. I reject the notion that you have to adopt a certain ideology as a whole with no room for improvement.

Because 100% accuracy is impossible. The store (Valve in this case) has to decide whether the net will be too wide or not wide enough. It's a fantasy to say "we'll just let all the right games in" because you'll miss some bad ones that you wouldn't have with tighter curation. On the other hand, tighter curation will exclude some games you consider not bad (IE okay for sale, not talking quality). The store must consider which they want.

You and Valve favor the former. That's fine. But you and Valve have to own the criticism of that choice. Every "bad" game that Steam lets through is a choice on their part. They want people to just let them off the hook for those. I will not, just as I'm prepared to defend my position and choice for tighter curation. That's my point.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

( Optional ) filters is the answer.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's pretty interesting that people are ready to give up their decisionmaking power over what constitutes a good game to a company whose last release was a massive flop.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so I have no chill.

Long story short, steam used to be heavily curated, greenlight came along, after issues with greenlight, they decided to open it up. They weren't entirely ready and recently they're trying to position themselves as "its good as long as it's not illegal". Welp, that better fucking change lol. I'm sure it will. They've never found a medium between accepting all games or letting in only a few. On one hand, Rape Day. On the other hand, maybe a great game doesn't get in, and who is another to judge what a "good" game is? Some people just hate sci fi trading sims but others love them.
If a game doesn't meet the standards of a platform, then maybe it just shouldn't be on that platform, then. If a game fails the criteria to be on Steam, there's nothing preventing from being sold elsewhere if it's accepted elsewhere.

Even the most basic level of curation should be able to prevent moments of blatant idiocy like letting Rape Day on Steam in the first place.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Jim should turn his "let's dump on bad games on Steam" into a series that could be called, say, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" where he looks at one new small game on Steam that he likes, a small game on Steam that's an utterly pointless asset flip, and a small game on steam that's noxious and hateful.

Plus, the most important thing is that with a title like that he could use a Western film motif, which means wearing leather pants and a cowboy hat!

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want me to solve all of Steam's curation problems for free, with little to no data on a forum post? That's a bit of a tall order. But just like when you are cleaning a messy room, starting by taking out the trash is always a good option.

Eh did you read my post? The trash is already out and you still have a lot of nice and useful things you do not want to throw out.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wow, what in the fuck is this post for real?

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
It's not directly related, but he's mentioned that his videos that are more positive tend to get a pitiful amount of views. That would probably include glowing reviews of hidden gems.

From what I remember when he started doing his solo gig (and even before) he has no one but himself to blame for this. He cultivated his audience with negative content.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of older games sounds like a horrible idea. How about some algorithm to get rid of crap, asset flip games that are barely playable and an algorithm to not allow obviously racist/controversy games like rape simulator, ones that praise Nazis, etc.... Doesn't seem like it would be too terribly difficult if Valve actually gave a damn. We need to go back to 2014'esque numbers for game releases (~2k per year), not the 2017-2018 era where 7-9k games are released each year and 75% of them are complete trash.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If a game doesn't meet the standards of a platform, then maybe it just shouldn't be on that platform, then. If a game fails the criteria to be on Steam, there's nothing preventing from being sold elsewhere if it's accepted elsewhere.

Even the most basic level of curation should be able to prevent moments of blatant idiocy like letting Rape Day on Steam in the first place.

The standards used to be "this is a quality product that people will want to play" which really meant "AAA or super polished indie that our staff liked". Steam used to ban any game with sexual content, which CYA postion but believe it or not adult rated games is something a lot of users asked for.

I think someone mentioned that Rape Day appeared in the store even though it had not finished the manual review process for R18 games. This is a problem.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't the video he said he planned to do on EGS and Steam, is it? This is basically a repeat of the majority of his Steam videos for the past few years.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
From what I remember when he started doing his solo gig (and even before) he has no one but himself to blame for this. He cultivated his audience with negative content.
Shame, too. I like his reviews especially when they're clearly trying to give a game a chance. As funny as it is to dunk on Mighty #9, he was doing his best to stay positive during his Jimpression.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I think it's pretty interesting that people are ready to give up their decisionmaking power over what constitutes a good game to a company whose last release was a massive flop.

I mean I see the flaws with Artifact as basically inseparable from the sort of business decisions that are making Steam suck right now. How long have the trading cards and corresponding market been a thing?

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I'm not sure why your solution to "unfuck" it, as you put it, entails killing one of the biggest strengths of digital distribution and PC gaming in one clean fell swoop.
It isn't a "bad" idea, "bad" doesn't even start to describe it.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Maybe people like Jim with a huge audience or the mainstream gaming media should use their reach to cover unknown indie games that apparently get drowned by all that shit that releases on Steam on a daily basis. I mean, they always say how much they care about (indie) devs but yet I usually hear about those unkown games from Steam curators, my Steam activity feed or the PC thread on here. Maybe Twitter as well to a lesser extent.

Sure, Steam needs to rework its curation approach and filth like Rape Day shouldn't be allowed to get a store page. But devs also complained when Steam had stricter curation. I think it's hard to find the middle ground between "open the flood gates" and "just let in the happy few".

This is why "WTF Is" was such a helpful series because it not only informed a purchase but promoted lesser known games, some of which sold better just due to the outreach of TB's channel. Its a damn shame Jim wouldnt try to at least carry on some sort of format like that if he believes theres good games under all the shit ones.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope Epic succeeds. Competition is good, and at minimum one or both stores will have to improve.

It's good to say Competition is good. It's better to explain why. Because if that's competition. I hope they fail.

It's better than allowing a game called "Rape Day" and a game about shooting school children. Yes, I hope they succeed too.

Which they didn't. Good then.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Uh, no? But Steam barely provides any service that is actually useful to me beyond being a place where I have my games. Cloud saves seems to be the biggest feature that people point to that it has that other services like Epic have

Steam has by far the best download service in the industry. If you are on a fast connection, they have the best speed. If you are on a slow connection, they have the best configuation options for downloading in the background without interrupting the rest of your life. Files don't get corrupted and need to be redownloaded. You can pause and restart as necessary. You can move files between drives effortlessly (important if you're like me and only have a small SSD, and need to be able to move stuff back and forth between that and a larger spinning disc for mass storage).

As game sizes keep getting bigger and bigger, their advantage over the rest of the industry in this area gets more and more important. It's definitely something I consider when thinking about buying games elsewhere.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I mean I see the flaws with Artifact as basically inseparable from the sort of business decisions that are making Steam suck right now. How long have the trading cards and corresponding market been a thing?
You mean Artifact's card trading and not the Steam Trading Card shit right? The market launched with the game.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Steam has by far the best download service in the industry. If you are on a fast connection, they have the best speed. If you are on a slow connection, they have the best configuation options for downloading in the background without interrupting the rest of your life. Files don't get corrupted and need to be redownloaded. You can pause and restart as necessary. You can move files between drives effortlessly (important if you're like me and only have a small SSD, and need to be able to move stuff back and forth between that and a larger spinning disc for mass storage).

As game sizes keep getting bigger and bigger, their advantage over the rest of the industry in this area gets more and more important. It's definitely something I consider when thinking about buying games elsewhere.
They should offer an option to play as it downloads! (or allow some games to have this option)