• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Screencaps from a video, but the first video of Dark Sector in 2004, back when it was basically Warframe with a different name:

BMSCv8S.jpg
8bOleH8.jpg

That was the first ever look at a 360 game. It's crazy that those assets eventually became Warframe.

Dark Sector finally came out in 2008 but as a completely different looking game.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Deep_Down-Big.jpeg

Deep Down has been surpassed by MHW, I suppose, but I still feel the lack in my life.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty recently, the Killzone Shadowfall shots were the first thing I saw from the PS4 reveal, couldn't catch it live, and they looked absolutely insane. The shots of the city still look stellar.

KillzoneSF_07.jpg

That was the moment when I realized what next-gen actually meant at the time. And that game still holds up!

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Pretty recently, the Killzone Shadowfall shots were the first thing I saw from the PS4 reveal, couldn't catch it live, and they looked absolutely insane. The shots of the city still look stellar.

KillzoneSF_07.jpg

I still remember watching the reveal trailer for this for the first time where the ship flys over the city and saying "WOW" out loud, that really blew me away. The game still holds up now.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
OMG I remember that. It was one of the first series of screenshots released for a Wii game, wasn't it?
The first was Frame City Killer, a cancelled GTA clone from Namco that was one of their first 360 games. It always looked awful and got canned after multiple delays.

The second was Cruis'n for Wii, which was actually a port of a Fast and Furious arcade game with the F&F stuff stripped out and renamed to an old classic 90s franchise.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 from the year 2006!

And, it really looked like that. The best style the series ever had.

720660-932465_20060331_003.jpg

image_wwe_smackdown_vs_raw_2007-2981-1004_0002.jpg

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Superman Returns
med_Visual%20Target%20Image%201.jpg

supermanreturns_8a.jpg

I thought these bullshots were so mindblowing back then and now they look rough.
Lmao totally wiped this game from my memory until now. I also thought these fake screenshots looked crazy too. Looks like absolute dog shit now.
Was so hyped for Brothers in Arms: hells highway.

Especially the first "gameplay" trailer, there were a lot of impressive things. The final game looked really bad in comparison.

brothers-in-arms-1280x720.jpg
This one hurts. I let myself get so excited for Hells Highway based on all of those completely bullshit screens and "gameplay" reveal trailer
biahh.jpg

This is what began my healthy distrust of Gearbox games. Was definitely a sign of things to come.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I remember this so well. I still get goosebumps! I was in love with Morrowind, so seeing this graphical leap was hard to believe. There were two other screens that stuck with me from this batch too, mostly for the ground flora detail:

1471269820-69560511.jpg

3_G.jpg

And I feel like this game (its environments anyway, not its characters =P) still holds up pretty damn well to this day with the right texture mods:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

Even having played Dynasty Warriors before, the sheer scale of things on screen at once was a sight to behold for me.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find it anymore but there was a picture of Frank West from Dead Rising stranded on a truck surrounded by what looked like hundreds of zombies that blew my mind. Think I saw it on Team Xbox.

The final game ended up looking even better.

EDIT: Wow good timing!

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
The Getaway tech demo for PS3...not the first time the Getaway team had mislead, even though I enjoyed the first game
001948s03.jpg

I recently replayed the first game and the city was the only impressive thing about it - but it was indeed impressive. I knew whereabouts I was in London a lot of the time just because the streets were so accurate.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
oh man, this thread's such a nostalgia trip :D

i don't think i've seen it posted, but this was one of my top 5 holy shit moments at the beginning of gen 7:

118932390_b48c6363f5_z.jpg

lair-20050916042717444-1249336.jpg

i remember being absolutely floored at the lighting and textures. plus the fact that it was being developed by Factor 5 put expectations pretty high (speaking solely on the graphics front). then the game came out and was pretty much an utter mess in every area, including the one F5 was known for, which was a real shame.

eEZiUzz.jpg

"It might not be like the 360 or the PS3, but the Revolution is going to hold its own with graphics like these!"

man this one cuts pretty deep

i remember how as time went on, my expectations for the wii kept plumetting more and more. at first it started off thinking it would easily compete with the other two (because how the hell could it not?), to "okay, maybe it'll be weaker but it'll still be HD" to "okay maybe it won't be HD but it'll look like PS360 games but just in 480p" and then finally learning that it was more pitiful than even my worst expectation.

good times!

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Project OFfset T__T ... i never knew what happened to them. i was so intrigued.
Intel bought project offset to release alongside Larrabee . when that project fell trough, intels interest in staying into the game industry by getting into the GPU space made no longer sense they pulled the plug on project offset. they tried to regain control of the IP but it was impossible to get from intel. even tho they would never use it, the legal trouble would not be worth it from intels perspective.

after that the main founders made an IOS game under a studio name called Fractiv. they made a quick mobile game to fund a bigger project called Lane Splitters on IOS. since then nothing happened with them, their website doesnt work anymore and they have quietly gone into a deep slumber.

In the mean while a new studio was formed by the then lead concept artist Khang le called Adhesive games, and they did the game Hawken. after that, hawken slowly killed itself by micro transactions and poor performance.

A lot of the guys from adhesive games, including Khang le then formed a new studio called Dreamlit entertainment
and they are currently working on a project you might have seen on here called Towers

There haven't been any updates for almost a year (since june 2019) so no idea what is going on with that project.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
kameo deserves a shout out too:

QBDSaMIUq6Ae8IPLevtsDQx31194GEcUPtPkhMo9f_fqec6POv3sGryZoZJDI6OcnDNObv3h5hpa7yMu74GhAna1_anlqquoX45lA5I8bA

med_26.jpg

kameo_elements_of_power_image26.jpg

Rare and Factor 5 were my top 2 favorite graphics wizards back in the day. And although F5 faltered, Rare delivered quite nicely. And while these screens look nice, it wasn't until i saw gamespot's 20 minute demo where i was truly floored. the water effects were outstanding.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys remember the Link vs Ganondorf tech demo for the Gamecube? It absolutely blew people's minds back then, and was a huge factor in the outrage a lot of people felt when Wind Waker was revealed and it was cel shaded. (They're in the wrong side of history now, of course.)

JMAMDmQ.jpg

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
kameo deserves a shout out too:

QBDSaMIUq6Ae8IPLevtsDQx31194GEcUPtPkhMo9f_fqec6POv3sGryZoZJDI6OcnDNObv3h5hpa7yMu74GhAna1_anlqquoX45lA5I8bA

med_26.jpg

kameo_elements_of_power_image26.jpg

Rare and Factor 5 were my top 2 favorite graphics wizards back in the day. And although F5 faltered, Rare delivered quite nicely. And while these screens look nice, it wasn't until i saw gamespot's 20 minute demo where i was truly floored. the water effects were outstanding.

Agreed, I was mind-blown by Kameo at 360's release. With that, Oblivion and PGR3, I really immediately felt that I was in a completely new Gen, miles above the previous one.

This gen, Killzone SF, Driveclub, inFamous SS and Ryse made me feel the same, they were all a good representation of what tje generation would bring and not feasible on previous gen.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Agreed, I was mind-blown by Kameo at 360's release. With that, Oblivion and PGR3, I really immediately felt that I was in a completely new Gen, miles above the previous one.

This gen, Killzone SF, Driveclub, inFamous SS and Ryse made me feel the same, they were all a good representation of what tje generation would bring and not feasible on previous gen.
Killzone Shadowfall was my first experience with a game heavily using PBR. It looked fucking insane in action.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

KillzoneSF_07.jpg
The graphics of Shadow Fall are still really good. Played it months ago for the first time and some parts of the game are comparable with new games, even after 7 years!

WarDevil trailer was so good and still looks interesting after all these years.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The graphics of Shadow Fall are still really good. Played it months ago for the first time and some parts of the game are comparable with new games, even after 7 years!

WarDevil trailer was so good and still looks interesting after all these years.

Didn't the WarDevil devs claim to have made some sort of breakthrough in game development that made these kind of visuals possible in a game? I faintly remember that.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Intel bought project offset to release alongside Larrabee . when that project fell trough, intels interest in staying into the game industry by getting into the GPU space made no longer sense they pulled the plug on project offset. they tried to regain control of the IP but it was impossible to get from intel. even tho they would never use it, the legal trouble would not be worth it from intels perspective.

after that the main founders made an IOS game under a studio name called Fractiv. they made a quick mobile game to fund a bigger project called Lane Splitters on IOS. since then nothing happened with them, their website doesnt work anymore and they have quietly gone into a deep slumber.

In the mean while a new studio was formed by the then lead concept artist Khang le called Adhesive games, and they did the game Hawken. after that, hawken slowly killed itself by micro transactions and poor performance.

A lot of the guys from adhesive games, including Khang le then formed a new studio called Dreamlit entertainment
and they are currently working on a project you might have seen on here called Towers

There haven't been any updates for almost a year (since june 2019) so no idea what is going on with that project.

Ooh thanks for this. I remember Offset, and that Towers trailer more recently Conceptually and artistically it looks amazing. I really hope it actually gets made...

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the WarDevil devs claim to have made some sort of breakthrough in game development that made these kind of visuals possible in a game? I faintly remember that.
Yeah, and if I remember correctly, they even talked about these visuals in 1080p on 7th gen consoles! lol
Edit: They didn't only talk about 1080p, but 1080p/60fps!
Edge magazine recently released some new tidbits of information from the guys over at Digi-Guys, developers behind the PlayStation 3 title, WarDevil. While some may have thought this title was headed to vaporware, there is reason to believe that this game was shown behind closed doors in Tokyo and left the media very impressed.
Digi-Guys are boasting WarDevil as a title that will deliver 1080p visuals running at a smooth 60FPS.

Last edited:

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing Folklore for the first time running on an HD TV was mind blowing to me. The level of clarity made everything pop compared to how muddy games looked before.

I haven't even seen at the game after playing that demo on a GameStop so that my memories remain untouched. It probably looks like shit now.

Jun 18, 2018

Still looks gorgeous!

The MGS2 trailer really cemented the PS2's place as a proper next-gen console, and the Dreamcast as a console trapped between two generations. Up until that point, the PS2 was getting a lot of bashing due to the lack of hardware AA and a decent amount of texture memory, resulting in many DC games looking as good as what could be achieved on the PS2.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao

"You see this footage rendered in Maya? Yeah, gonna transfer that baby onto the PS3 and Cell is going to run it in real time. At peak performance."
That's exactly what I was thinking! :D

Remember Alan Wake's first footage?

That trailer made me crazy. Max Payne 1&2 were among the best games of my life and looking at the next project of Remedy was a BIG moment for me.
The final game was great too, but I expected a little better experience.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys remember the Link vs Ganondorf tech demo for the Gamecube? It absolutely blew people's minds back then, and was a huge factor in the outrage a lot of people felt when Wind Waker was revealed and it was cel shaded. (They're in the wrong side of history now, of course.)

JMAMDmQ.jpg

was obsessed with this for the longest time all the way up until twilight princess was released. like with most things, kind of funny looking back, haha.

speaking of nintendo tech demos, did they ever make any for the switch?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
man this one cuts pretty deep

i remember how as time went on, my expectations for the wii kept plumetting more and more. at first it started off thinking it would easily compete with the other two (because how the hell could it not?), to "okay, maybe it'll be weaker but it'll still be HD" to "okay maybe it won't be HD but it'll look like PS360 games but just in 480p" and then finally learning that it was more pitiful than even my worst expectation.

good times!

some profound mental gymnastics going on at the time

i remember some were convinced it had remote processing (i don't think we called it "the cloud" back then) or whatever other magical thinking justified the narrative of it being only marginally weaker than the 360

i don't think i've ever seen "fans" completely lose their grip on reality like that it was insane