• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The six months prior to a next gen release has always filled me with excitement since I was a school kid... And it definitely seems things are really picking up around here. With that being said, seeing these Lord of Rings Gollum screens brought back a stinging pain of a memory of next gen's hallow past.

der-herr-der-ringe-gollum_6098962.jpg

Behold... Wall Guy from Perfect Dark Zero:

WallGuy.jpg

Obviously this wasn't entirely indicative of what the game actually looked like and also not remotely indicative of what the 360 was capable of. But it sure was fun laughing at this screencap on the old forum.

What were some screenshots though that you thought were particularly mindblowing ahead of the consoles release? Or hilariously bad for that matter?

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty recently, the Killzone Shadowfall shots were the first thing I saw from the PS4 reveal, couldn't catch it live, and they looked absolutely insane. The shots of the city still look stellar.

KillzoneSF_07.jpg

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh noooo White Knight Chronicles, I'm really sad now remembering that game.

Ya'll remember this shit? I couldn't believe my eyes.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah fuck White Knight Chronicles. Still such a huge disappointment. I don't think I even finished it, which isnt uncommon nowadays but I used to be obsessed with finishing any old garbage back in the day.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
That Killzone 2 reveal lol. I remember talking to people who swore that was legit. I always thought it was bullshit. Definitely great looking game, but come on lol

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Damn I never saw that one, but that's hype. Even now.

What I would do for another Splinter Cell in this vein. Maybe that third person Perfect Dark thing is true.
We should start a thread about cross gen games and their differences/ similarities. I love that stuff lol

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
eEZiUzz.jpg

"It might not be like the 360 or the PS3, but the Revolution is going to hold its own with graphics like these!"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little Battler Experience PSP

what we were shown

R47g53t.jpg

what we got

little_battlers_thumb.jpg

bonus 3DS screen

1.jpg

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty recently, the Killzone Shadowfall shots were the first thing I saw from the PS4 reveal, couldn't catch it live, and they looked absolutely insane. The shots of the city still look stellar.

KillzoneSF_07.jpg
Yup, this is what I was going to say. About two seconds into this reveal is all it took to say, "Yeah, there's no way a PS3 could do this." Still holds up really well today.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

100%. I remember the first time seeing Oblivion screenshots was scan rips or something from a magazine's first reveal, and then a few days later direct shots going live online. This shot specifically just had me absolutely floored that there was no way my computer at the time could run it. I was bewildered with the shiny metal texture and seemingly vast forest and mountain range. It seemed impossible.

As a side, Oblivion is also home to one of my few "obnoxious game store worker" stories. I picked Oblivion up at launch for PC and the dumbass at EB Games are the time did everything he could to try and sell me on an Xbox instead. He went on this inane tirade over how the Xbox 360 was twice as strong as the best PC, and how Oblivion for Xbox had graphical features PC couldn't run. I was literally just there to pick up a copy of the game and he was trying to sell me on an entirely new set of hardware too. Idiot.

KillzoneSF_07.jpg

This. I fucking hated Killzone Shadowfall as a game, but this reveal was out-of-this-world good. For the time just mind blowing what was being accomplished on then upcoming console hardware. The final build is almost perfect too. Handful of discrepancies; lesser reflective/refractive glass, ToD change, lesser particle effect density, etc. But generally these are small changes compared to how fucking amazing the final build ended up looking.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Screencaps from a video, but the first video of Dark Sector in 2004, back when it was basically Warframe with a different name:

BMSCv8S.jpg
8bOleH8.jpg

Project Offset in 2005:

sPxWtOD.jpg

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh now we're digging back through memory lane. Project Offset... my brother and I watched that trailer a zillion times. He argued it would never come out since it was such a small team but I didn't believe him. (I was the younger more naive brother)

It's fun reminiscing about the excitement for next gen. Always felt like Christmas to me.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Cc2 really tried to pass of an draw over off as a "target render"
image_naruto_ultimate_ninja_storm-8182-1489_0004.jpg

64BNYYZ.jpg

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yup, this is what I was going to say. About two seconds into this reveal is all it took to say, "Yeah, there's no way a PS3 could do this." Still holds up really well today.

Yeah this, i see people being like "i'm not sure what to expect from next gen visuals", or trying to convince themselves we should wait several months to see "real next gen visuals", but if you ant a next gen to look good enough to have people upgrading, you need launch games that look like they could never run on last gen, it's pretty simple and obvious really. And this gen it's going to be more tricky for obvious reasons. But i think that's the real test, like for that Godfall footage where we can look at it from close and being like "hmm yeah i see this and that and some rt here and there" and it looks great, but the truth is, if it was announced as a PS4 game, would someone have said "yeah you're kidding me no way it's a PS4 game" ? That's what some of the revealed game will have to look like for the next consoles or they'll be in trouble.

Anyway, my pick is the first sega saturn tech demo cause that was my first "next gen wow" but i can never find footage of it :( The panzer dragoon and clockwork knight ones

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LinearBrightKitty-size_restricted.gif

What do you think guys, will we have another one to add to this thread on Thursday?

Oct 25, 2017
Oh noooo White Knight Chronicles, I'm really sad now remembering that game.

Ya'll remember this shit? I couldn't believe my eyes.

In this case I actually prefer the final game. It doesn't have the fancy camera work, and the lighting is flatter, but the animations are way better in the actual game.

The tearing and performance are awful, though.

Really fun battle system.

LinearBrightKitty-size_restricted.gif

What do you think guys, will we have another one to add to this thread on Thursday?
Crazy that they could show this for the PS5 and people would still be impressed.