• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
www.pcgamer.com

Diablo 3 screens from the Blizzard North era reveal a 'darker' original vision

The screens were posted by former Blizzard North artist Oscar Cuesta.

akncTJNJPvGzwFcR3ewz9C-650-80.jpg.webp

8bo4dPRo5W8JCx535TWKXB-650-80.jpg.webp

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
TBH, I'm one of those weirdos who thought Diablo 3's art style was really cool and unique. Out of all the action RPGs released in the last generation, Diablo 3 has visually aged the best out of all of them. I don't think the grim-and-gritty look for Diablo is bad, but if it looked like this, I don't think it would've stood the test of time.

That's my kneejerk reaction, anyway.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
TBH, I'm one of those weirdos who thought Diablo 3's art style was really cool and unique. Out of all the action RPGs released in the last generation, Diablo 3 has visually aged the best out of all of them. I don't think the grim-and-gritty look for Diablo is bad, but if it looked like this, I don't think it would've stood the test of time.

Same.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

I liked Diablo 3s art too tbh. How do you feel about four?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's a weird opinion at all, D3 looked great.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

Last act is ridiculous. It looks like I'm on a super Mario game...

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the new graphical style for Diablo 3 was unveiled and an army of internet critics lost their shit?

The army of internet critics were right. Diablo 3's art style sucks.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Weird posts so far. These are early screens of game that was in development like 2 decades ago.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are mixing up the modern D3 with the "original" darker atmosphere vs. this old ass prototype

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Diablo 3s art too tbh. How do you feel about four?
I love it! I think it gives the game an interesting visual identity, and technology has progressed to the point where physically based materials and global illumination can create scenes that don't age nearly as badly as games from say, 10 years ago and beyond.
I don't think that's a weird opinion at all, D3 looked great.
It might not be a weird (or rather, uncommon) opinion on this forum, but do remember that Blizzard created an entire area to mock people who said Diablo 3 looked like it was for kids.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I think current D3 looks great. Yeah it is not as Grim Dark as D2, which I think matches the game anyway. D2 is much darker than D3, you are literally killing everyone you played as in D1 and you technically still lose. D3 while Cain dies you are an overwhelming being of power and destruction and the art style matches it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I've actually seen it and that doesn't look like it. Just going to say that... (might be from a way earlier version, but it did not look like that)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when the new graphical style for Diablo 3 was unveiled and an army of internet critics lost their shit?

The army of internet critics were right. Diablo 3's art style sucks.

outrage at the time was a little unwarranted in volume.

but yeah, i dunno if the mob with pitchforks were necessarily "in the wrong". a hindsight is 20/20 deal

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. I think for the hardware at the time, the art style of D3 helped it look good and age well.
These screenshots just look very bland. Like the many Diablo clones that came out trying to fill a hole that D3 never left.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just going to say that I've never been particularly impressed by Blizzard games artistically, even back in the Warcraft 2 days. Star Craft and the first 2 Diablo games were alright but never really "wowed" me. The original screenshots of Star Craft look beyond hideous though, so they did a good job turning that one around.

But yeah, would have been interesting to see how this version panned out.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I've actually seen it and that doesn't look like it. Just going to say that... (might be from a way earlier version, but it did not look like that)
Yeah, my impression is that these are most likely from an earlier build of the game. Wouldn't mind seeing some material from the last Blizzard North build before it was canceled and the studio was dissolved.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Does Diablo 3 look good even for a game that old? Yes. Does it look like the sequel to visual aesthetic of Diablo and Diablo II? Not so much. That said it would probably have gotten less shit if it wasn't also saddled with the terrible way they decided to tell the story. Act 3 is especially bad with the Saturday morning cartoon villian talking head taunts. The change in tone between Diablo II and Diablo III is very jarring.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about Diablo III's aesethetic and tone is changed, not just the more cartoonish proportions. It really looks, animations, and presents as lightly like its predecessors.

I do think Blizzard fell into the "early 3D" trap though that a lot of older 2D games with more grounded art directions struggle with when translating to 3D, especially 3D aimed at running on a toaster. Detailed assets are generally computationally heavy and that wasn't the game Blizzard were making. They wanted something bright, colourful, with easy readability, and fully 3D in every respect while also scalable to run on the most dated hardware configurations. Their choice to go with more exaggerated animations, proportions, and use of colours is a smart one to assist with presentation and readability on a limited polygonal and texture budget, but yeah. Came at a cost.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I clicked on this thread knew it was gonna make me mad and lo and behold, I'm mad.

Gah, I really wish D3 was more gothic and less blocky cartoony goofiness. I like D3 enough, but I would have loved for a more gothic game like D2.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Same.
I don't like the grim and gritty art style of 4 at all so far.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Does Diablo 3 look good even for a game that old? Yes. Does it look like the sequel to visual aesthetic of Diablo and Diablo II? Not so much. That said it would probably have gotten less shit if it wasn't also saddled with the terrible way they decided to tell the story. Act 3 is especially bad with the Saturday morning cartoon villian talking head taunts. The change in tone between Diablo II and Diablo III is very jarring.
I think Diablo 3 is definitely a big departure from the original games, but it still felt like Diablo to me. All the gore, grime, and gibs mixed with the vivid color palette gave everything a very gnarly sensation. Reaper of Souls absolutely helped reign in the saturation, though.

I will say nothing of the story beyond it being indefensibly bad.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I feel like a lot of people don't understand that these are images of an unfinished game. These are not what the final visuals would've looked like...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For better or worse, they look very close to Diablo 2, unlike 3. Not even a complaint, I always really enjoyed 3's artstyle.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yeah put me down on Team D3. I really like the art direction that we actually got. Not only the style, but aesthetically it feels so much better to look at due to the legibility of what's happening on screen. It pops. Every model and animation is visually distinct.