• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
The quotes from the article sound like a legit villain, like holy shit. It's some of the most blatant and condescending evil I've heard from someone in office sans Trump

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
"It is hard to convince people that religious liberty is worth defending if they don't think that religion is a good thing that deserves protection," Alito said, before outlining some arguments that might find traction with what he called an "increasing" number of people who reject religion or don't consider it important.

Wonder what those arguments are

Regardless, he is a petty tyrant, wish I could be surprised

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how "Religious Freedom" always involves oppressing others and removing their freedom. And by funny, I mean horrific.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
When this Roe shit happened it left me disgusted with the entire court, including the "good" ones, because it clicked what sort of person would actually feel entitled to this much power. One of only nine people that decide on these things, and for the rest of their lives, there has to be something seriously wrong with you to think you belong in that chair. This guy is aggressively trash which makes it easier to see it but they all have this level of insane hubris. You'd have to. What a vile institution. And inheritantly conservative, right? The entire purpose is to resist change by wielding the constitution.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
the fact that he mocked foreign leaders whilst abroad is fucking insane. What a vile, bigot right wing piece of scum.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that POS dies in his sleep like Scalia. No moment of rest for these religious tyrants.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I'm amazed that US Supreme Court justices can give speeches like this

I have no idea if Canadian judges can/do give speeches..........hell I'd struggle to name any Canadian Supreme Court judges or what they stand for lol
I've looked into the differences between how courts interpret freedom of expression in the US and Canada.

A good example of how different Canada is, is the case R v Keegstra:

The Supreme Court of Canada held that the prosecution of a high school teacher in Alberta for anti-Semitic statements in his class was a reasonable and justifiable limitation on freedom of expression. James Keegstra, a high-school teacher in Alberta, told his class that Jews were evil and doubted the occurrence of the Holocaust. He was charged with willfully promoting hatred against an identifiable group, which he objected on the grounds of freedom of expression. The Court upheld Canadian legislation under which the teacher was charged because it did not suffer from vagueness or broadness, and sought to eliminate racism and hatred.

[Chief Justice] Dickson determined that the objective of the legislation was indeed pressing and substantial because expression promoting hatred to identifiable groups unduly inhibits multiculturalism in Canada.

There's a reason I'm trying to move back to Canada. It's not a utopia by any means, but the highest court in the land is at least sane.

Feb 14, 2018

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This tells you all you need to know about these political extremists drunk on power.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's not religious freedom, you tyrannical fuck, it's imposing religious oppression. Freedom to discriminate and strip away rights. Eat shit.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When I lived in Alabama. I had a boss tell me, the only book worth reading was the Bible.

He brought this up because I was reading a role-playing game book in the break room.

For no reason he brought up the Freedom of Religion stuff and said "Well what they really meant was free to be there form of Christian, instead of Church of England or Catholic"

When I told him I was raised Catholic, and that most of the founding founders were diest, he decided to let me go back to work.

That is what these people think. And that was almost 30 years ago.

Speaking of being raised Catholic (I'm not one for mutliple reasons.)

My mother who literally sent me to Catholic school has been so brainwashed by this garbage she called the Pope a "False God"

Living in the south too long can have some effects.

Jan 27, 2018
Not religious (raised catholic) but i could by the argument that religion is a good thing, if it wasn't for all the religious people who consistently prove they are the worst humans on earth.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Pretty cool the way this life appointed fanatic from the product of a stolen election weilds religion as both a sword and shield. From Hubbard to Karesh, that's the kind of person you want making decisions at the top.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
get fucked you evil mofo, i don't believe in karma but he evidently does, hope his karma bites him in the ass then

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
US Supreme Court is truly a perfect textbook example of unintended consequences in political policy making.

The most undercooked component of the US constitution has somehow managed to be it's most powerful, most anti-democratic, most unchecked/imbalanced branch, most perversely corrupted, and highest guaranteer of unchecked minority rule and human rights regression.

Of course our tolerance and normalizing of it is as equally disturbing and equally culpable, but still is quite amazing the branch the writers couldn't figure out what it was really supposed to even do, basically now sort of shadow controls the country.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
More proof these chucklefucks like to play team politics despite being part of a an insutition that should, at least in spirit, be free from such bullshit.
He thinks he's being real cute about Boris getting kicked out (as if it had anything to do with his opinion on the SCOTUS), suggesting than anyone opposing the anti-abortion decision is just sucking on sour grapes and deserves that they get coming to them.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
You got to give credit to the GOP for their uncanny, decades-long ability to pick closet theocrats for Supreme Court justices.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the worst part about being an athiest is you don't get to imagine an eternity of righteous suffering for these ghoulish fuckers

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
When Boris fucking Johnson calls you out on your bs, you truly are worse than scum.

I hope only the worse happens to him and people like him.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When he says religious liberty, he means liberty for the religious to impose their religions upon other people. Specifically the Christian religion - none of the other religions count.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Forget your DeSantis vs. Trump -- people like Alito, Ari Fleischer and John Yoo are the movement conservatives who really define Republicanism in the modern era. Power is God.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most of Alito's 36-minute speech was devoted to a discussion of religious liberty, with the conservative justice arguing that support for religious liberty is eroding because so many people now say they lack religious belief.

Most of Alito's 36-minute speech was devoted to a discussion of religious liberty, with the conservative justice arguing that support for religious liberty is eroding because so many people now say they lack religious belief.

"It is hard to convince people that religious liberty is worth defending if they don't think that religion is a good thing that deserves protection," Alito said, before outlining some arguments that might find traction with what he called an "increasing" number of people who reject religion or don't consider it important.

This quote really stands out to me. It declares how out of touch they are. People are fleeing Christianity or not attending church proper because so many awful people like him completely miss the point of who Jesus was/is and the weight of hypocrisy becomes repulsive. Like the problems with the church today are easily addressed but these ghouls are hellbent on destroying it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for reminding the world why we're a fucking dumpster fire despite being one of the biggest countries in the world, buddy.

One of the richest countries in the world but we're trying to drag women's rights back into the dark ages and we don't blink an eye when schools full of children get shot up.

Its normaaal. Its all normal.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's a fucking ghoul who deserves to be mocked everywhere he goes for his backwards views.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
something something the dignity of the office/institution /s

glad these partisan hacks have been revealed for the monsters they are

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that all the roads that lead to Rome aren't one-way streets. Elephants used to have a bad time there after all

caseyg

Banned
Apr 20, 2022
This quote really stands out to me. It declares how out of touch they are. People are fleeing Christianity or not attending church proper because so many awful people like him completely miss the point of who Jesus was/is and the weight of hypocrisy becomes repulsive. Like the problems with the church today are easily addressed but these ghouls are hellbent on destroying it.

To paraphrase something Mahatma Gandhi once said: Christians would be great if they were more like Jesus.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
You got to give credit to the GOP for their uncanny, decades-long ability to pick closet theocrats for Supreme Court justices.
Basically every single Justice appointed by the GOP is picked from an approved list of committed theocrats. They do it all out in the open while telling us they're just calling balls & strikes. The lying about it just really sets me off.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
"Why do they care" as if we don't have our tendrils across the planet.
he knows that but the fake conceit is 'widdle America who keeps to itself, is a sovereign nation, keeps to it's laws and does no harm'

but he knows what happens when America sneezes, the Republicans love all of that global power too.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018

To paraphrase something Mahatma Gandhi once said: Christians would be great if they were more like Jesus.
As a life-long christian who has lapsed from the church but still holds a certain ideological affinity for much of the Christ message, I hear where sentiments like this are coming from, but still feel like it kind of misses the larger point.

Even if the larger modern church in America embraced and understood the values espoused by Jesus, it still wouldn't change the fact that liberal democratic society couldn't truly be considered functional unless it also considered the rights and opinions of the secular, for whatever reason they choose to be secular.

Alito's rant is not just a giant middle finger to religions outside of traditional christianity, but those who choose non-belief as well.

Oct 28, 2017
Alito is a right wing hack, a Christofascist and a politician, nothing more. He certainly isn't an impartial jurist and he should be removed from the court.

And now that it is pretty clear that it was a conservative that leaked Alito's decision -- if not Alito himself -- it is high time that Roberts gives the American people an update on the progress of that investigation into the leak. We have a right to know.