• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190322163331.htm
5SpOT8W.jpg
University of Alberta paleontologists have just reported the world's biggest Tyrannosaurus rex and the largest dinosaur skeleton ever found in Canada. The 13-metre-long T. rex, nicknamed "Scotty," lived in prehistoric Saskatchewan 66 million years ago.

"This is the rex of rexes," said Scott Persons, lead author of the study and postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Biological Sciences. "There is considerable size variability among Tyrannosaurus. Some individuals were lankier than others and some were more robust. Scotty exemplifies the robust. Take careful measurements of its legs, hips, and even shoulder, and Scotty comes out a bit heftier than other T. rex specimens."

Quick Summary.
13 meters in length compared to 12.3m Length of Sue.
Estimated to weigh over 19,500 pounds.
At least 30 years old.
University of Alberta Scientific Paper on Scotty.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I've always loved dinosaurs, and I still am blown away that creatures like this roamed the earth. So fucking cool. Wish we could see them alive.

OP
OP
antonz

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sue does remains the most complete Skeleton. Scotty is only about 65% complete. Scotty and Sue are fairly close. Scotty is about 4% larger on average. The university paper is interesting as it discusses Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus a bit both of which have undergone some radical rethinking in recent years as far as their development

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Scotty is not 13 meters long. Scotty is 60% complete and hard to get a completely accurate length. The research indicates Scotty is more robust or possibly heavier than Sue. Scotty's weight bearing bones are thicker than Sue's. That said, top estimates are around 8800kg for Scotty. Some of the upper estimates for Sue are just as high. So far, the difference seems to be off by one meal. If Scotty goes a day without food, or Sue gets a big meal, they could switch places. That's how minor the difference is. Scotty migt be taller than Sue though. I'll post the numbers tomorrow since I'm about to head to bed.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always loved dinosaurs, and I still am blown away that creatures like this roamed the earth. So fucking cool. Wish we could see them alive.
I wish we could digitally recreate accurate portrayals of them in a high budget CGI movie just going about their lives. No weird cartoons, no humans, just watching all types of dinosaurs & what we know about them in some nature documentary narrated by Morgan Freeman. Makeup highly possible scenarios have some kickass dino fights showcase how they acquired food, natural predators, ect. I and many other people would eat up that shit.

SleeperBWG

Dec 18, 2018
I wish we could digitally recreate accurate portrayals of them in a high budget CGI movie just going about their lives. No weird cartoons, no humans, just watching all types of dinosaurs & what we know about them in some nature documentary narrated by Morgan Freeman. Makeup highly possible scenarios have some kickass dino fights showcase how they acquired food, natural predators, ect. I and many other people would eat up that shit.
Sign me up for tickets to see that for sure. I'd be glued to the screen watching that.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That's near enough what Walking With Dinosaurs was.
It's probably a little dated now but at the time I loved it.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Thread already full of cope posts by Sue Stans. Just hold the L, there's no shame in second place.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous, everyone knows the transporter on the Enterprise isn't large enough for a t-rex

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to say how long Scotty was due to it being only 65% complete. However, we can get a reasonable good guess since we know 98% of T.rex's skeleton from various good specimens. The lack of a complete tail though will always cause problems. I can safely save Scotty being 13m isn't that likely.

YRIROav.jpg

This is the amount of bones we have for Scotty.

j7UVkcq.jpg

This is a piece of art from Scott Hartman. I cropped out Stan so you can see how much we have for Sue.

Scotty is robust. More so than even Sue. Height wise, Scotty does appear to be taller than Sue by a bit. The femur is 1330mm vs 1321mm for Sue. Tibia's around the same length. There are still several other extremely big Tyrannosaurus specimens being studied. You might be hearing more about Trix in a few years.

8dx4hy5.jpg

Victoria is also coming soon.

luyOGHm.jpg