• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
Really fucking great country we got going on when donating to white supremacists causes a reaction of "well you know it's just a disagreement on viewpoints, people shouldn't be blackballed".

Yes they fucking should. The danger with Trump's foray into politics was the normalization of far-right ideology and guess what, if you're hemming and hawing about whether it's "right" for people to criticize donating to a known and self professed white supremacist, you're part of the normalization.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Why are some people acting like this is some super casual thing that shouldnt be judged harshly
Do people in the US trip up while making breakfast and accidentaly deposit 2800 dollars on some donation account for a politician? i know internet made stuff convenient but its still far harder to donate stuff than.... not doing anything. if you're actively going out of your way to give money to someone with horrible viewpoints about anything, how is it surprising that people are judging you for it.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Yall, I think dOXxiNg him by LeAKing his public political donations is a prime example of CAnCeL CuLTurE

His politics are his damn business. We should be allowed to buy his games without getting judged because FNAF is BiGgEr ThAN hIM. Please yall be reasonable, I don't want to feel judged when I preorder Security Breach, knowing that he will turn around and use my money to fund people that want strip a plethora of rights from a multitude of minorities.

Sorry for the mini-rant, I have to put this thread on ignore, I don't want my inbox blowing up while i'm on my vacation to The Wizarding World at Universal, or when i'm at the line to get my collector's edition copy of Enders Game signed.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I dislike trump more than anyone, but I also don't love the practice of trying to black balling anyone who once or does support him. We can discuss their political beliefs but I'm also not for turning it into an automatic career death sentence.
Dude led an insurrection on the Capitol of the United States, and that wasn't even the worst thing he did. Fuck people that donated to him. It says a lot about them. If you could watch him tell the Proud Boys to "stand back and stand by" and think "Gee golly I sure want to give my money and vote to this guy!" then you deserve every bit of shit for it.

And it's not like this was something from 10-15 years ago or something, this was RECENT FOR THE 2020 CAMPAIGNS!

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing scarier than murderous animatronics is making campaign donations to noted obstructionist & walking corpse Mitch McConnell.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Money straight up makes it easier for a politician to win. Lets them pay for more ads and airtime, lets them travel more, lets them deploy and hire more people and resources to contested states/districts and in recent year,s you can have people working for you to do shit over social media. Winning is every bit about dominating the airwaves and the narrative if not moreso with your message as it is having a message that will resonate with people. Of course its going to be a hell of a fight if we even try to get money out of politics altogether.

I literally came to ask that question. I understand why it makes sense for the politicians, but what does the individual get out of it by donating? Or is it just pay someone you like to hope they win?

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike trump more than anyone, but I also don't love the practice of trying to black balling anyone who once or does support him. We can discuss their political beliefs but I'm also not for turning it into an automatic career death sentence.
Parsing these people and their views into a palatable term like "political beliefs" when their entire ideology is based around the idea of white supremacy and taking away the rights of subjugated groups is... yeah.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like it was only a matter of time after he came out as one of those super religious types.

I literally came to ask that question. I understand why it makes sense for the politicians, but what does the individual get out of it by donating? Or is it just pay someone you like to hope they win?
Its funny because for a politician there is always that suggestion that maybe they dont 100% believe in what they are peddling but are doing it for votes or pandering to a group. But for someone donating to such a politician or party there is no confusion, you are 100% fully onboard with whatever fucked up shit they out there spewing and giving them money to push it further.

Last edited:

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How incredibly disheartening to see a creator of a series loved by younger generations throw his weight behind good ol' abhorrent politics.

LIke, it's so weird. Donating money is the most conscious act of support you can do aside from attending a rally or starting your own damn twitter campaign in support of a political figure, so there's no real ambiguity there.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

E2zTTRaXoAUDjxV

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017

I'm with you and think malicious brigaiding is bad in just about every situation.

That being said, any public figure who makes personal campaign contributions - to any party - should be prepared to piss off a segment of their fan base because they're basically inheriting that politician's platform. If that's too controversial for them, they should just not donate to political campaigns and instead spend it on something that arguably matters more like a good charity

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
This pretty much makes him a white supremacist. Hopefully people won't buy his games

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Really fucking great country we got going on when donating to white supremacists causes a reaction of "well you know it's just a disagreement on viewpoints, people shouldn't be blackballed".

Yes they fucking should. The danger with Trump's foray into politics was the normalization of far-right ideology and guess what, if you're hemming and hawing about whether it's "right" for people to criticize donating to a known and self professed white supremacist, you're part of the normalization.

Yes, I don't understand when people react like that, far-right and white supremacists want me dead, I'm not accepting this just as a different point of view or opinion

Kurtofan

Oct 28, 2017
you know, if you don't want to be "painted" as a white supremacist and a racist asshole, just don't donate money to racists, white supremacists, transphobes and the likes.

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
Felt like it was only a matter of time after he came out as one of those super religious types.
It's the other way round. Cawthon was already known as a devout christian long before he made FNAF, he didn't have to "come out". And that he donates a lot of money has been well known since around FNAF 3 in 2015, although people were propably a bit naïve about what he'd consider a good cause.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What's embarassing is donating any money to those scumbags.

Of course not. I wouldn't be surprised if MatPat would come out defending Scott. Those two seem to work off each other. I wouldn't be surprised if Mat also had some secrets too.
Do you have literally any reasons or backing for these kinds of insinuations? This seems to be in incredibly bad faith to just assume when he has this post sticky on his twitter

posting this on inauguration day

having tons of "trump sucks" jokes in his videos, donating to charities again and again and generally, while the world somehow doesn't get tired calling him obnoxious and lame, being one of the generally friendliest and fan-forward people within the big wigs on Youtube scene.

He MIGHT have skeletons, of course, but just insinuate "he likes FNAF so he he's of course aligned and probably as bad" when literally everyone is just finding out about this is super unfair and something I'd expect from..other communities.

I'm not even a superfan of the channel, but the guy seems super alright to me, from what I know and watch from time to time.

edit that said, IF he comes out definding Scott, I will of course eat my crow. But I honestly can not imagine this happening.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned: (2 weeks) Whataboutism in a sensitive thread.
Microsoft have a multi billion dollar contract with US military but I don't know how many people here are cancelling their gamepass subscription over it. Not saying two wrongs make a right but it is funny how people pick and choose.

For the record I don't support what this guy is doing or his political views.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have literally any reasons or backing for these kinds of insinuations? This seems to be in incredibly bad faith to just assume when he has this post sticky on his twitter

posting this on inauguration day

having tons of "trump sucks" jokes in his videos, donating to charities again and again and generally, while the world somehow doesn't get tired calling him obnoxious and lame, being one of the generally friendliest and fan-forward people within the big wigs on Youtube scene.

He MIGHT have skeletons, of course, but just insinuate "he likes FNAF so he he's of course aligned and probably as bad" when literally everyone is just finding out about this is super unfair and something I'd expect from..other communities.

I'm not even a superfan of the channel, but the guy seems super alright to me, from what I know and watch from time to time.

edit that said, IF he comes out definding Scott, I will of course eat my crow. But I honestly can not imagine this happening.

Yes I have nothing to base this on, and sure it's bad faith. if anything he'll never ever bring it up and keep making FNAF videos.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Microsoft have a multi billion dollar contract with US military but I don't know how many people here are cancelling their gamepass subscription over it. Not saying two wrongs make a right but it is funny how people pick and choose.

For the record I don't support what this guy is doing or his political views.

Cool, some whataboutism!

Microsoft having a multi-billion contract with the US military does suck, but have you considered that a huge corporation that's well-entrenched in a multitude of fields having a profitable relationship with the military is different than an individual creator going out of their way to endorse and provide financial support to a very specific group of politicians who have a very specific agenda?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yes I have nothing to base this on, and sure it's bad faith. if anything he'll never ever bring it up and keep making FNAF videos.
If he doesn't bring it up in the future, and just keeps making videos about it, I'd even be fine with agreeing with your insinuations :) There's no way he doesn't know by now, and the only realistic excuse for not commenting on it would actually pretty much be to be okay with it, or to not care at all.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
That being said, any public figure who makes personal campaign contributions - to any party - should be prepared to piss off a segment of their fan base because they're basically inheriting that politician's platform. If that's too controversial for them, they should just not donate to political campaigns and instead spend it on something that arguably matters more like a good charity

guess he didn't have time to find a white supremacist charity that was up to his standards so he just decided to go with mitch instead

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People really be doing their best to absolve him of any wrong doing.

Employees cost the same to hire regardless of their political views, but more progressive ones make for nice PR and a convenient cover in cases like this. The fact that he does and says all that while still donating to these people means he's a two-faced sneak.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

I donate to political campaigns because it's a form of activism for issues or candidates that are important to me. When I was young, I had a lot of time but not much money, and so I directed my activism towards volunteering, phone banks, working for candidates, canvassing for issues.

These days, I'm old and I have more money than I did then, and less time than I did then, so I'll pitch in money to campaigns, candidates, and issues that are important to me... that money pays for the donuts in call centers or the pizza for volunteers, and 20 years ago I ate the donuts and pizza and drank the soda, and so now-a-days I'm paying for those things so that other people can do what I did then.

This morning I donated to the Democratic National Committee because I believe strongly in DNC Chair Jaime Harrison's "50 State Strategy," which is a strategy to put money and funding into every state in America, conservative or liberal, in order to get grass roots democrats to run against comfortable Republicans who might not have had a challenger in their last 2 or 3 political elections. It was a measley $50 and I don't think that $50 is the difference between winning a House race in 2022 and losing it, but I believe that it's important for conservative Republicans to be challenged even in races that they're going to win by 10 or 20 points... It means the RNC has to spend more money in those districts and that House races shouldn't be purely decided by the incumbent's primary, because that makes for a more divided, less productive House.

Part of why I donated today is to say, "Hey, I want whatever portion of this donation goes into challenging a comfortable incumbent, even if the challenger loses," but part of it is also a signal to the DNC that I believe strongly in this strategy (which is similar to a successful strategy employed by Howard Dean when he chaired the DNC in the mid-2000s) and that people like me are willing to donate to the DNC when they have strategies like this, but I might not donate while Tom Perez is chair and cedes House races "because there's no chance." Part of why I think that government is so polarized and incapable of getting things done effectively is because we've been willing to sit back and not even challenge in a Republican district, which IMO just makes that district more partisan, less willing to compromise, and you end up getting completely looney nutjobs like Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert, and Louie Gohmert. My line of thinking is that by helping to finance the campaign of someone who will still probably lose by 5-10 points in a deep red GOP district, that they have to run a general election makes the district a little more likely to nominate a more moderate Republican than simply the craziest, GOP terrorist that wins a walk-away primary.

My $50 (and subsequent donations over the next 18mos) won't win any election in 2022, but it'll help fund ideas in the DNC that I agree with which might help win 2 or 3 House elections in 2026. I could probably take that $50 and dump it into Dogecoin and hope to turn it into $100 in 2026 (or $0), but I see these sorts of investments as more important, and just as important to the other non-profits that I might donate money to in a given year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They say if you want to be heard, to speak with your wallet. Clearly Scott Cawthorn does just that and so I don't really care how much he claims to be pro-choice or an ally to the LGBT community.

Directly funding people like Mitch McConnell tells us exactly the kind of policies you want America to champion.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
All of those GOP members and Tulsi Gabbard just tracks perfectly.

Also, disgusting. Very glad I have zero intention of ever supporting his work.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just to clarify if you're not from the US and this was the question:

Politicians have to use donated money or their own money to run their campaign -- ads, travel, donations to other politicians, etc. There's no spending limit or standardized system to run campaigns, so people donate to help someone win. 'What you get out of it' is contributing to the politician you think is right and you believe will change the country for the 'better'.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, that sucks. I have to admit though.. I cannot say that I did not expect this. Sucks to see it confirmed nonetheless.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
"I fucking hate politics" is such a baby-brained dismissal.

"Politics" isn't some abstract concept that happens in a void. What an absolute dunce.

Cyberleafm

Banned
May 7, 2021
User banned (permanent): dismissive rhetoric, account in junior phase
Is it bad that I don't care? It's his business.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is it bad that I don't care? It's his business.

You not caring is your business.

But let's not get it twisted, when you donate to the GOP, especially a Trump lead GOP, you are putting a very large sign on what kind of person you really are, you should understand why people are very upset about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.