• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really that strange in the UK? Considering that there's a site like this?
Yes. It is still strange lol. As someone involved in communities like Era that are mainly US centric where plenty threads pop up here about folks donating to the Republican party, not so much threads or discussion is made about UK donors for the Torys or whatever.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the fnaf fandom was one of the more lgbtq+ accepting gaming spaces, so this is wild to hear. Now, I'm not surprised given what was known of Cawthorn's background before all this, but jeez.

And lo and behold, lot of comments on that reddit thread have the same tired talking points in trying to defend him. So tiring.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that Scott Cawthorn is worth an estimated 60 million dollars so these donations amount to 0.0005% of his net worth.

Can't stand Trump/Cornyn/Senator Turtle/etc but that fraction would be me donating $25 of my $50,000 net worth.
$2800 is about the most you're allowed to give to a candidate so he gave them as much as he legally could.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ironic that a series made by a christian conservative has such a massive gay furry fanbase

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the fnaf fandom was one of the more lgbtq+ accepting gaming spaces, so this is wild to hear. Now, I'm not surprised given what was known of Cawthorn's background before all this, but jeez.

And lo and behold, lot of comments on that reddit thread have the same tired talking points in trying to defend him. So tiring.

Like a whole generation of queer furries came into the fandom through fnaf. The community surrounding the series was a source of comfort to a lot of people.

Scott's an evil fucking prick and I hope, as I always do with these assholes, that if the hell he believes in exists he gets to see it

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Horrid

I have nothing but empathy for the young peeps who this IP meant a lot to. Learning that I was Lining the pockets of the TERF Who Shall Not Be Named, for a decade, was a real gut punch.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Why would anyone donate money to a politician???

Money straight up makes it easier for a politician to win. Lets them pay for more ads and airtime, lets them travel more, lets them deploy and hire more people and resources to contested states/districts and in recent year,s you can have people working for you to do shit over social media. Winning is every bit about dominating the airwaves and the narrative if not moreso with your message as it is having a message that will resonate with people. Of course its going to be a hell of a fight if we even try to get money out of politics altogether.

Last edited:

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
$2800 is about the most you're allowed to give to a candidate so he gave them as much as he legally could.
That can be easily maneuvered around though, can't it? Like here is the Activision/Blizzard CEO giving Senator Graham $2,800 and then another $2,200 on the same day.

E2LqoAV.png

Oct 28, 2017
I am not American so I dont really care about American politics (I grew up in the Middle East and am Canadian) but the bias against evangelical Christians is one of the last things that is openly tolerated in polite society in North America and Europe. There are 700 million evangelical Christians in the world, the majority of whom are in Asia, Africa and latin America.

So maybe cut out the blatant namecalling of a large people group especially when they are reduced to just 'White Americans.'
Nice strawhat dude, but this evangelical Christian is using your money to back politicians who'se sole purpose is to keep people like you marginalised so what the fuck are you doing dude, really?

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
Imagine the horrible consequences if vital leaks like this one did not happen. We can all feel like heroes today for bringing this crime against humanity to light

This isn't a leak, it's readily available public information. If you don't want people to know that you support terrible people and organizations, then maybe you shouldn't financially support them especially if they advocate for laws that would hurt the very people who look up to you and are fans of your work.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Money straight up makes it easier for a politician to win. Lets them pay for more ads and airtime, lets them travel more, lets them deploy and hire more people and resources to contested states/districts and in recent year,s you can have people working for you to do shit over social media. Winning is every bit about dominating the airwaves and the narrative if not moreso with your message as it is having a message that will resonate with people. Of course its going to be a hell of a fight if we even try to get money out of politics altogether.
Yeah, I know how the money helps the politician or the party, but what does a regular citizen get out of that??? I think I know why, but really just can't understand it lol

Nov 1, 2020
Yeah, I know how the money helps the politician or the party, but what does a regular citizen get out of that??? I think I know why, but really just can't understand it lol
Surely you can understand that a not insignificant amount of people have the urge to use some spare (or sometimes, not so spare) money towards the goal of trying to shape the world the way they'd like, right?

Oct 26, 2017
Always assume that most people are as dumb as a box of rocks and will take anything they are told by their favorite news station as the word of god. When politics is treated as sports teams and most people are about as smart as a guppy, it doesn't take much for candidates to siphon money out of people, especially when we're very prone to emotional advertising.

Everyone wants to change the world to be closer to their own image. For most people, the only way to do that is to raise someone else to be in a position where they can do just that.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
For a series that has so many lgbtqa+ folks in its fandom this is bizarre and dissapointing. I legit don't think I can patronize him anymore, because the money goes to this

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
How in God's name can ANYONE donate to fucking Ben Carson??

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My wife watches Game Theory once in a while, and nearly every other episode I see seems to be FNAF related. Hopefully he stops propping this shitheel's work up.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Surely you can understand that a not insignificant amount of people have the urge to use some spare (or sometimes, not so spare) money towards the goal of trying to shape the world the way they'd like, right?
Always assume that most people are as dumb as a box of rocks and will take anything they are told by their favorite news station as the word of god. When politics is treated as sports teams and most people are about as smart as a guppy, it doesn't take much for candidates to siphon money out of people, especially when we're very prone to emotional advertising.

Everyone wants to change the world to be closer to their own image. For most people, the only way to do that is to raise someone else to be in a position where they can do just that.
I actually had never thought about that.

Jul 20, 2020
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing Support of Bigotry; Prior Related Ban
I dislike trump more than anyone, but I also don't love the practice of trying to black balling anyone who once or does support him. We can discuss their political beliefs but I'm also not for turning it into an automatic career death sentence.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive drive-by around bigotry and backseat moderation, previous ban for tone policing Black members
Can somebody explain to me why this thread has five pages and why a mod hasn't locked it yet

May 19, 2020
I dislike trump more than anyone, but I also don't love the practice of trying to black balling anyone who once or does support him. We can discuss their political beliefs but I'm also not for turning it into an automatic career death sentence.
his donations are public record, how the public reacts to that info is scott's problem. tough shit

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't he a white male?

Doesn't surprise me at all. More than a 50% chance this is true. Probably add a multiplier for wealthy white dude.
It's the sum of things. Wealthy white dude, in America, seemingly hardcore Christian all the problematic ideas that come with it means that there's probably a pretty high chance he's a Republican.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
You have to be a moron to donate to Donald Trump. You are an evil human being if you donate to Mitch McConnel.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I don't understand why this is hard for some to grasp: if you donated to Donald Trump, you willingly donated money to a literal white supremacist.

This isn't something that is up for debate. It is a statement of fact.

Anyone who supports a white supremacist absolutely deserves to be black balled.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
My wife watches Game Theory once in a while, and nearly every other episode I see seems to be FNAF related. Hopefully he stops propping this shitheel's work up.

Looking at the video feed, it looks like Game Theory makes a FNAF-related video every 1-2 months, and the "Theory" channels combined produce 12 videos per month. So FNAF makes up about 5% of the monetizable content. Maybe. This is purely from scrolling through the feed for less than 20 seconds.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Uh yeah, he's a religious extremist and has been pretty open about it. So I am unsurprised.

He's also a one-trick hack.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Can somebody explain to me why this thread has five pages and why a mod hasn't locked it yet
Alright yall...

A) Saw their replies blow TF up, flees with their tail between their legs, puts thread on ignore
B) We check the thread 5 hours from now, only to find they went back and forth for several pages with multiple users. "Death of the Author"/"Cancel culture" like arguments show up at least once. Winds up saying something truly fucking stupid, gets permabanned.

Place your bets folk!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I looked at the YouTube chat for Day of the Devs for two seconds last night (I accidentally scrolled) and it was filled with people spamming FNAF.

Dunno if this was out there by then, but let's just say I'm glad 90% of the games on that stream were infinitely more interesting in the first place. I hope the LGBT folks who liked the world and characters can spin it off into something of their own.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
  1. He's not just supporting Trump. He's supporting the full murderers row of Trump lackies and enablers. This isn't "Trump charmed him" or whatever, this is "he agrees with what Trump stands for and is doing and wants him to continue." Plus McConnell, who's shitty in a different but equally terrible way.
  2. What exactly do you mean by "black balling"? It sounds like you wanted to say "cancelling" but anticipated the response that would get.
  3. Resetera discussing the fact that he's shitty isn't an automatic career death sentence, what are you even talking about?

Can you explain exactly why you feel it should be locked?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
HARD disagree that people should not be judged/boycotted based on their political donations....

The Supreme Court has ruled that this information is free speech, so let's treat it like that.

... and this sort of consequence is precisely why this information needs to be public.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've never spent a cent on one of his games and now I DEFINITELY won't. The roster of people he chooses to donate to is fucking telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.