• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
During the time he was on Electric Playground and Reviews on the Run, despite how the shows were always presented in a cheerful way that glorifies video games and movies, Scott C Jones would occasionally let slip some dark stuff about his life, like a man that needed a hug.

I'm glad to have read this.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
This is beautifully written. Thank you Scott.

Games provide me with metaphoric outlets, symbolic opportunities that give me genuine relief in my time of need. Games have kept my head above water, far more than I realized. They have served as a pixelated balm on old, deep wounds. They have provided me with mazes, again and again, and given me opportunities to find my own way out of them.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing this. I haven't suffered trauma like this in my life and I wouldn't say video games have saved my life. But they are very comforting to me and they're the one thing in my life that make me feel like I have control over anything.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Was going to post right when maintenance happened but felt this deserved a bump either way. Great article, well written and amazingly brutal.

Jerry Orbach

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary
What a sad story :(

Did they ever do an episode of Reviews on the Run from the site of the molestation?

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Wow, powerful stuff. I haven't experienced anything close to this but video games have definitely given me comfort during dark times.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Jesus Christ that was a read. I can only somewhat relate as games have definitely helped me through rough patches.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I read it before the maintenance yesterday but could not respond.

Really tough read.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Scott is such a cool dude. He's got more than enough charisma to be relevant BUT he's still brutally honest about his life.
Glad to see he's still around after some shocking near death experiences. Dude's superman.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Im glad for this guy.

Video games are a really great medium. The best medium.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That was it. I stepped forward into a darkness that I'm still trying to find my way out of more than 40 years later.
Holy fucking shit.

I had no idea. That was such a powerful read. I can't even imagine holding that shit for 40 years.

Video games are a powerful thing.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I don't usually get emotional for this kind of stuff.

I cried a lot reading this. I grew up with reviews on the run. Scott went through a lot and I'm really thankful he got to tell his story.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
was abused when i was 9 at my own house by an older friend of my brother. never had the guts to tell him or my parents, actually, never told anyone i love, in fear of their reactions.
now, 25 years old, i'm still trying to cope with big intimacy/trust issues and shame. it's getting better, baby steps i guess... but sometimes i wish i could talk about it with my family.
i'm terrible with words, never could write something like that, but videogames saved my life too, they still do.

just typing this comment here is hard as fuck but it feels like a big step forward for me, this text is powerful and i'm glad i had the chance to read it. thanks, scott.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm going to read this now and am worried about what I'll read.

I spoke to Scott after he had his heart troubles and wished him well. He responded very nicely, and we've kind of remained acquaintances since. He's always seemed like a good guy, like Victor Lucas whom I've met and spoken to a few times. I grew up watching Electric Playground, then watched a lot of Reviews on the Run during Scott's time and always liked him.

Oct 25, 2017
I cried reading this. Jesus christ, humanity fucking SUCKS sometimes. Videogames are great and i'm happy they helped him cope with this.

I didn't know about his podcast. I actually didn't know the guy. Will begin hearing the podcast, though.

Do put a trigger warning in the OP.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Scott is a good dude, can't imagine this amount of darkness. When he was on Reviews on the Run he had the reputation for hating everything while Victor Lucas (another great dude) loved everything but that missed his perspective. He wanted games to be better, to reach to new places, and when one connected with him you could really feel it. This story certainly explains why.

I would recommend his podcast Heavily Pixelated where he talks with others who have used games to help them through difficult times.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Just read it. Bumping this, he talks about pac-man but the important part is how our childhood defines us too.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read this last night and it was not at all what I expected it to be. It's really well written and incredibly brave of him to share that. Like many have said, it's a heartbreaking read. I winced when he described approaching the trailer and was pretty wrecked after that point in the article. I do hope he continues to recover from the childhood trauma and his recent health issues.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched Scott and Vic on Reviews on the Run all throughout my teens - this was heartbreaking to read.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
While reading this article, his mom sounds like a grade A, unsupportive a** hole. If I was a parent, I feel like I would instantly believe my kid and rush to their aide. I mean, kids have good imaginations - but not good enough to describe a molestation at that age, geez. She even said something as insincere as we 'have to move on from these things'?! I feel for this guy; not having familial support...man.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That was... hard to read. I don't know what's more soul-crushing, the abuse or having his mother not believe him. :(

She even said something as insincere as we 'have to move on from these things'?!

Yeah, that got to me too. Her original dismissal of it was bad enough, but this was 40 years ago and perhaps people weren't so exposed to these kinds of things, especially in such remote locations. But having the nerve to lecture him now about moving on? Being knowingly if indirectly responsible for the abuse of who knows how many kids, including her own? Seems to me like she hasn't changed all that much.

OP
OP
Kabuki Waq

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
apologies I put a trigger warning in the OP I can't seem to include it in the thread title. if a mod can do it that would be great