• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Airing from March 1989 to May 1993, Quantum Leap starred Bakula as Dr. Sam Beckett, a physicist who in testing out a time travel theory "leapt" into the body of an Air Force pilot 50 years in the past. In trying to return home, Sam realized he could only randomly leap into other people, in other times. A hologram of his friend, Admiral Al Calavicci (played by Dean Stockwell), offered guidance.

TVLINE | Quantum Leap seems to be a show that will inevitably be rebooted. What would be most important to you about a new incarnation of that show?

Oh, my goodness. What would be most important…? That show is very special to me, obviously, so I would wish whoever did it luck. I mean, the idea of walking in another man or woman's shoes is so relevant and so important right now. We've become so divided in our world that the ability to cross that line of politics and just deal with the humanity and the individual person who's sharing a moment on the planet with you is really relevant.

There was also a quaintness about the show, because it had this period feel because Sam traveled anywhere within his own lifetime. That made it feel a little old fashioned, but I would hope that they get the truth of it and the sentiments of it right, and not try and make it slick. Sam was this naïve kid who just happened to be a brilliant scientist who stumbled on something and all of a sudden was thrown into all of these different lives and worlds and people and situations that he never could've imagined growing up in. I would just hope that they would try and keep that, but you know, I don't know what they'll do.

TVLINE | Would you want them to reboot the series from scratch, like from square one, or would you like them to extend the mythology? Like, maybe a kid of Sam's pursues the same tech and goes to find him or something?

Yeah, those ideas have been pitched a lot….

TVLINE | Did he even have a kid, though? I'm trying to remember.

No, but I had two trips home to see my wife, so… there could have been something that occurred then!

TVLINE | He missed his wife lots, that is for sure.

Oh, yes. So, there certainly is a child that could've come from any of those trips back. That's one of the ideas, and it seems like a good idea. We all know that Sam's still out there, and I always tell people that should be comforting — that he's still out there fixing things that once went wrong.

[As noted by TVLine reader Nicole, Sam Beckett sired a daughter with a woman he met in a Season 5 episode, while in another man's body, with a 91.9% likelihood he is the girl's biological father.]

More at:
tvline.com

Inevitable Quantum Leap Reboot ‘Seems Like a Good Idea,’ Scott Bakula Says — ‘Sam’s Still Out There!’

Scott Bakula shares his thoughts on the inevitable "Quantum Leap" reboot -- including his concerns, and the idea of Sam's kid taking over.

Travel back in time and prevent me from making this thread if old

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
He could he be someones biological father when he is just a concsiousness in someone else's body?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those sound like cool ideas for a follow-up, hopefully with Bakula in it. Scott also seems like a wholesome dude, but I'm afraid to ask at this point...

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, there was that show that served as an unofficial sequel where he DID have two kids who had their own adventures:

lancaster.jpg

It's not a coincidence that his initials were SB, and he was a scientist who disappeared for a few years in the late 80's!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I should really rewatch these one day. I used to watch this show all the time as a kid.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
One of my most favourite shows of all time, and so ahead of its time in terms of societal challenges it tackled.

denisqc

Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Well, there was that show that served as an unofficial sequel where he DID have two kids who had their own adventures:

lancaster.jpg

It's not a coincidence that his initials were SB, and he was a scientist who disappeared for a few years in the late 80's!
and what is the name of this show please ? :)

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
This was my absolute favorite show growing up but a huge part of the appeal was the chemistry between Scott and Dean (who is now 85) and I don't think that the character of Al would work anymore (not unless he underwent some serious sexual harassment training).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's more interesting is the constant time traveling and lack of any real foundation for his life would have driven Sam insane at some point even with his good intentions. Theoretically he could be time traveling "forever" and that has to do a number on your mind even if it was strong as a steel trap. Perhaps Sam loses it and actually starts fucking up the timeline becuase what else are you gonna do after spending the equivalent of 10,000 years fixing other people's shit.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's more interesting is the constant time traveling and lack of any real foundation for his life would have driven Sam insane at some point even with his good intentions. Theoretically he could be time traveling "forever" and that has to do a number on your mind even if it was strong as a steel trap. Perhaps Sam loses it and actually starts fucking up the timeline becuase what else are you gonna do after spending the equivalent of 10,000 years fixing other people's shit.
Nah, Sam's benevolence and love for mankind is infinite

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

He couldn't travel forever. The people he leaped into would leap into his body...... or did his body disappear in the final episode too?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they haven't rebooted it yet.

They've tried a couple of times over the years. According to wikipedia, sci-fi channel straight up announced a tv-movie/backdoor pilot back in 2002. Then there were talks of a movie. And then as recently as just last year NBC said they were concidering it.

As said in the OP interview, the idea that supposedly keeps popping up is his daughter leaping through time looking for him. Which, I kinda dig the shit out of.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
They've tried a couple of times over the years. According to wikipedia, sci-fi channel straight up announced a tv-movie/backdoor pilot back in 2002. Then there were talks of a movie. And then as recently as just last year NBC said they were concidering it.

As said in the OP interview, the idea that supposedly keeps popping up is his daughter leaping through time looking for him. Which, I kinda dig the shit out of.
They really should do it especially because they have a streaming channel and that is the type of nostalgia that does well on those formats. Karate Kid and Star Treks current shows are doing well in that niche.

Dec 30, 2020
He could he be someones biological father when he is just a concsiousness in someone else's body?
Bit more than that. In one episode he was in the body of a double amputee but was able to STAND UP ON NOTHING, walk across the room, and punch out a cruel orderly.

So, yeah, the idea of Sam fathering a child while in someone else's body sounds plausible based on series logic.

....then there was that time he jumped into Stephen King's body and met the devil...

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bit more than that. In one episode he was in the body of a double amputee but was able to STAND UP ON NOTHING, walk across the room, and punch out a cruel orderly.

So, yeah, the idea of Sam fathering a child while in someone else's body sounds plausible based on series logic.

....then there was that time he jumped into Stephen King's body and met the devil...
Has Sam ever leapt into a twin? What if he ends up leaping in the two twins and this splits him into two Sams? :o

(If it were to happen I think the two would be merged back at the next leap)

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017

You're misremembering a bit. Sam lept into another person and met young Stephen King, he didn't leap into him. He did however, also meet the devil.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Actually it was a horror writer that a young Stevie King worked for. He accidently gave him the ideas for Carrie, Cujo and Christine.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, there was several instances in Quantum Leap where it's blatantly clear that Sam is leaping into their uhh, role but is physically there while the person's image is still like an aura around him or some shit while the actual person is in the future in their waiting room. Alien abduction stories could be tied to it in the show's universe... except that aliens also present in it.

That's messed up if someone is unknowingly raising his kid.
quantumleap.fandom.com

Sammy Jo Fuller

Samantha Josephine "Sammy Jo" Fuller is the biological daughter of Samuel Beckett and Abigail Fuller, who conceived her in Part 2 of the trilogy. When Sam leapt into Will Kinman, Abigail knew something was different about him and Sam also knew it was himself not Will that was with Abigail. In...

Brought this up a bunch of times before but in the early-mid 2000s there was a revivial that didn't make it out of development hell where she'd be taking on the role to find him after finding out he's her father. At this point if they were to do it and keep either the future forward thing or even our present they'd probably have to make her a mother and her kid going to find her grandfather or something.