• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
The summer here has pretty bad. Seems to be multiple thunderstorm warnings every week for the past month or so which I've never seen before.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah we've had some beautiful days, then some absolutely horrible ones. Some cracking storms too!

Edinburgh Airport roundabout -

An unfortunate business owner in Leith -

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone going to any Fringe shows? I'm going to see Limmy, not sure what else.

Yeah we've had some beautiful days, then some absolutely horrible ones. Some cracking storms too!

Edinburgh Airport roundabout -

An unfortunate business owner in Leith -

This was my town last week...

EA3OaU0XUAAP7S8

Yeah, we went to the park in wellies and raincoats and ended up in t-shirts eating ice cream :) Hope you enjoy your trip, there's some beautiful scenery round that way.

Thanks! It's been great so far. The skies opened up just as I was halfway to the Black Spout, but that's been about it. The only niggly bit now is the question that always gets me conflicting answers, i.e.: How much should I leave as tip (at a nice hotel, specifically)? Last time I asked this in the Brit thread everyone said no tip anywhere (England, though), yet every restaurant, cafe, etc. had a tip option on their machines and/or a tip jar. Web sites are also giving me conflicting info. I don't want to leave an insulting amount or go overboard. I did straightforwardly ask the staff what the tipping etiquette was and she said at the end was standard if I wanted to, so it seems a normal thing, but again, how much? -_-

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! It's been great so far. The skies opened up just as I was halfway to the Black Spout, but that's been about it. The only niggly bit now is the question that always gets me conflicting answers, i.e.: How much should I leave as tip (at a nice hotel, specifically)? Last time I asked this in the Brit thread everyone said no tip anywhere (England, though), yet every restaurant, cafe, etc. had a tip option on their machines and/or a tip jar. Web sites are also giving me conflicting info. I don't want to leave an insulting amount or go overboard. I did straightforwardly ask the staff what the tipping etiquette was and she said at the end was standard if I wanted to, so it seems a normal thing, but again, how much? -_-
Round up to the nearest significant number, it'll be appreciated if there isn't a mandatory amount. If you've spent 22.50 then bump it to 25 quid. You don't have to as people are paid reasonably but it'll be appreciated.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow

I usually tip 10%, unless the service is terrible. Most people I know around here do similarly.

Round up to the nearest significant number, it'll be appreciated if there isn't a mandatory amount. If you've spent 22.50 then bump it to 25 quid. You don't have to as people are paid reasonably but it'll be appreciated.

But when it's a hotel the numbers are going to be bigger. If the bill is a couple of hundreds, what significant number should I round up to? I can't just bump a couple of £s up, right?

I usually tip 10%, unless the service is terrible. Most people I know around here do similarly.

10% on the whole bill? That'd be...a fair amount. Again, this is a hotel not a restaurant.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
It was warm, sunny and clear blue skies here till about 3 when the heavens opened. There was thunder and lightning a few hours ago too.

Yeah this is basically what I do. Either that or the rounding up thing.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What exactly are you tipping at the hotel? Leave a tenner for the room cleaning if you want, but other than that I can't imagine tipping anybody at a hotel.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
10% on the whole bill? That'd be...a fair amount. Again, this is a hotel not a restaurant.

Ah sorry, I was thinking of a restaurant or a cafe bill sort of thing. Do you mean should you tip on the bill for your hotel stay then? I don't think I've ever left a tip on a hotel bill, I didn't realise it was expected to be honest. I'll sometimes leave something in the room for the cleaners but that's all.

What exactly are you tipping at the hotel? Leave a tenner for the room cleaning if you want, but other than that I can't imagine tipping anybody at a hotel.

It's a high end B&B with breakfast and a course dinner, so there's quite a bit of service. For the dinner, as it's part of the overall stay I didn't think I was supposed to leave anything at the table per se, but it's a confusing point as it is quite a bit of service with no bill until the end, so I can't just leave money on the bed for the cleaners as it wouldn't reach the dinner servers. So I asked directly and the receptionist said it was customary to "leave something at the end" if I wanted to, which to me implies that it's normal to tip something. I also assume that means I do it when I settle the final bill. Except, I don't know what's appropriate considering the overall price. -_-

Ah sorry, I was thinking of a restaurant or a cafe bill sort of thing. Do you mean should you tip on the bill for your hotel stay then? I don't think I've ever left a tip on a hotel bill, I didn't realise it was expected to be honest. I'll sometimes leave something in the room for the cleaners but that's all.

According to the web you're supposed to leave service tips at high end hotels, but no one ever says how much or where/when exactly. *sigh*

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally in that case I wouldn't leave a tip. For me, service is included in a B&B. Leave a few quid for the cleaners and that's it.

Personally in that case I wouldn't leave a tip. For me, service is included in a B&B. Leave a few quid for the cleaners and that's it.

Oops. Sorry missed this. In the end I left a tip for the cleaners on the bed, and when I went down to pay there was also a gratuity line at the bottom of the bill where both the main staff lady (with the owner sitting at desk next to her) told me that I could leave something there if I wanted and that they pooled everything and split it. So I left some there as well, and made sure to mention I'd left some on the bed. The impression I got after they rang it up, though, was that it was either not what they normally got or what they wanted. They certainly didn't blink and I barely got a good bye. <sigh> A somewhat flat way to end a fairly nice trip. Oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I have no idea who to vote for. I agree with Corbyn and his policies and tories are cunts and must be ousted but Scottish labour aren't English labour and are generally snakes.

Scottish labour - Shite.
Lib Dems - Tory-lite pricks.
SNP - I usually vote SNP but the transphobia in the party is largely off putting.
Greens - Wasted vote.

I guess I'll vote for whoever will keep the tories out of power.

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I have no idea who to vote for. I agree with Corbyn and his policies and tories are cunts and must be ousted but Scottish labour aren't English labour and are generally snakes.

Scottish labour - Shite.
Lib Dems - Tory-lite pricks.
SNP - I usually vote SNP but the transphobia in the party is largely off putting.
Greens - Wasted vote.

I guess I'll vote for whoever will keep the tories out of power.

Which constituency?

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Here anyone vouch for Dennistoun?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier - I lived there as well. There are Orange marches through there on the weekends. The further East you go, the grimmer the reality of austerity will push down on you. Same for south of Dennistoun.

Most people there are really nice, and there's a bit of poverty-solidarity going on. Works best for you if you're talkative and "big city"-savvy.

Alexandra Parade Park is awesome all year round.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I'm back on my house hunting. Can anyone vouch for Mansewood? We've found a great (and reasonably priced) 3 bedroom in Mansewood. It's near giffnock and Shawlands but I have no idea about that area itself.

Jun 30, 2020
Colorado
I no longer live in Scotland, but I got one of my degrees at the University of Edinburgh. I believe it was one of the worst decisions on my part to return to the US after finishing my studies. I thought I would just pop in and say "hi" to everyone lucky enough to live in Scotland and read through some of the more recent going-ons.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Never seen so many flashes for such a long period, insane! Also, my dog is not speaking to me any more because we took her for a walk earlier in the day when it started absolutely chucking it down, probably also some of the heaviest rain I've ever seen tbf so I don't blame her lol.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I think last night has taken about five years off my life! What an emotional rollercoaster that was!

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Looking to buy a house - went to view one yesterday on the outskirts of Glasgow. It all looked great until I looked out into the garden. The next door neighbour had a flagpole flying a Union Jack. I immediately thought there's no way we're buying this place. Am I overreacting?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Looking to buy a house - went to view one yesterday on the outskirts of Glasgow. It all looked great until I looked out into the garden. The next door neighbour had a flagpole flying a Union Jack. I immediately thought there's no way we're buying this place. Am I overreacting?
That would put me off (pretty much regardless of what flag it was, but definitely for that particular flag).

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'd avoid that too.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no overreaction. The Union Jack people in the eastern parts of town were a LOT. Can't imagine outskirts being much better than that.
If you're lucky they practice their orange march drumming on the weekends.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Anybody with a flag pole in their garden is fucking weird enough - even before you take into consideration the unionist weirdos.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there can be many people happy to see Eck back on the scene. Personally I think he should get tae fuck.