• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland Loves Anime slate has been announced for Glasgow and Edinburgh for October. These are usually a blast, though I think the lineup's a bit on the bland side this year.

Edinburgh said:
Monday 15th – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (17:50)
Tuesday 16th – Summer Wars (20:25)
Wednesday 17th – Wolf Children (18:00)
Thursday 18th – The Boy and the Beast (18:00)
Friday 19th – Calamity of a Zombie Girl (14:30), BLAME(17:30), I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (20:15)
Saturday 20th – Penguin Highway (13:00), Mirai (15:40), My Hero Academia: The Two Heroes (18:00), Cyber City Oedo 808 (20:30)
Sunday 21st – Fate/stay night Heavens Feel 1 (13:30), Haikara-san: Here Comes Miss Modern – Film 1 (16:10),Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt Film 1: December Sky(18:30), Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (20:30)
Monday 22nd – Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms(English dub premiere, 17:45).
Tuesday 23rd – Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt Film 2: Bandit Flower (20:30)
Glasgow said:
Friday 12th – Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky (21:00)
Friday 12th – Cyber City Oedo 808 (23:00)
Saturday 13th – My Hero Academia the Movie: The Two Heroes (14:30)
Saturday 13th – B: The Beginning (+ Q&A with Director; 17:10)
Saturday 13th – Penguin Highway (20:10)
Sunday 14th – Fate/Stay Night [Heaven's Feel] 1.presage flower (15:20)
Sunday 14th – Mirai (18:00)
Sunday 14th – I Want To Eat Your Pancreas (20:20)

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
I'm going on vacation to Scotland next week. I'll mostly hang around Aberdeen. Thinking about renting a car for a few days to see the country side, any1 know nice coastal stretches near the area where you can stop by? Are there any tidal flats?

Also:
dd47deca6aca15ce9683ed8b0871a65a.jpg

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I can recommend maggie's Grill in Aberdeen for food.

I emphatically recommend against the Aberdeen science centre.

The Belmont cinema was also nice.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
I can recommend maggie's Grill in Aberdeen for food.

I emphatically recommend against the Aberdeen science centre.

The Belmont cinema was also nice.

Thanks, gf used to live there so we have a few things lined up in the city but I'm happy to take tips.
For the countryside, think we'll check out the Newburgh estuary and take a trip to Inverness.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
Scottish people are super nice. It's nice that you greet the bus driver (most Swedes don't), but why are the light switches to your bathrooms OUTSIDE the bathroom? That's not nice.

This is my judgment.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Scottish people are super nice. It's nice that you greet the bus driver (most Swedes don't), but why are the light switches to your bathrooms OUTSIDE the bathroom? That's not nice.

This is my judgment.

Some are, some aren't.

My flat for instance has it on the outside but I've seen some places have lights on the inside.

I think it's perfectly fine though. :D

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

This is my judgment.
It mostly just seems to be the pull-string switches that are inside the bathroom. Normal ones are always outside in my experience.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Anyone got any experience with Virgin fibre broadband? My street has just been done and at the same time my Sky bill has gone up £20 a month. I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the Super Hub 3 that Virgin uses online though, apparently lots of people get terrible problems with latency and random lag spikes.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
I have to reboot my Virgin hub infrequently, perhaps a handful of times a year. Hasn't been often enough to veer into nuisance territory, however I'm London & not Scotland so YMMV.

They don't match the deal prices new customers get for existing customers though which is irritating - signed up for 50Mbps fibre and then wasn't eligible for the offer that came out the following week for 100Mbps for the same price!

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any experience with Virgin fibre broadband? My street has just been done and at the same time my Sky bill has gone up £20 a month. I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the Super Hub 3 that Virgin uses online though, apparently lots of people get terrible problems with latency and random lag spikes.

My virgin is good mostly. Sometimes I need to reset my hub but not too often.

So yeah, no real complaints about the quality of it imo.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
thanks to wiill64 for the heads up on this thread.

Scott here, originally from Fife, move to Edinburgh for Uni and work, and have been here in London (don't hate me) for over a decade.

Nice to have found a little corner of Era full of my countrymen :)

Oct 25, 2017
Any Glasgow folk vouch for Scotstoun or WhiteInch? Looking to buy a place and they are easily within my budget.

Don't want to live in a shithole tho.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Any Glasgow folk vouch for Scotstoun or WhiteInch? Looking to buy a place and they are easily within my budget.

Don't want to live in a shithole tho.

Generally speaking they're both ok but also have some sketchy areas. Whiteinch probably a bit sketchier than Scotstoun, but it really depends on the street. Is there a particular property or street you're looking at? I've lived in Whiteinch in the past and have friends who own a place in Scotstoun so am fairly familiar with both.

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking they're both ok but also have some sketchy areas. Whiteinch probably a bit sketchier than Scotstoun, but it really depends on the street. Is there a particular property or street you're looking at? I've lived in Whiteinch in the past and have friends who own a place in Scotstoun so am fairly familiar with both.

It'd be Harland cottages. I know its near Earl Street that's got a reputation of being a shitehole full of bams. But the flat itself looks very pleasant.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
It'd be Harland cottages. I know its near Earl Street that's got a reputation of being a shitehole full of bams. But the flat itself looks very pleasant.

I know the place, always thought they looked nice. There's a church on the corner of Squire St and Northinch St that's been turned into flats, I lived there for a while and it was fine. I'm not sure I'd fancy walking along South St late at night, it's pretty isolated, but other than that I always felt perfectly safe living there. The only problem I had living there was that (and I didn't find this out until I'd signed the lease) the building I lived in was right next door to the local orange lodge, where the band liked to practice.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
The fish ladder is kinda cool I guess, and there's a bunch of nice walks around if you like that sort of thing. If you were going in October I'd recommend the enchanted forest, but... lol

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This thread doesn't seem to be the most active, but on the off chance... If anyone has any recommendations for Pitlochry, I'll be there on Friday. I've heard the distillery might be worth a visit?

Don't know the area super well, but if you have access to a car there's some great walks nearby around Killiecrankie. Dunkeld is nice as well, although that's a 15-20 minute drive away.

Sorry :( never actually visited there myself.

No worries! I picked it because it was a little different, so I wasn't expecting many to even know of it.

The dam and fish ladder.

Oh yeah? Even in the rain? The weather is forecast to be absolutely abysmal, unfortunately. I'm not put off by rain, but if it's all about view, I'm not sure it'll be worth a hike out.

The fish ladder is kinda cool I guess, and there's a bunch of nice walks around if you like that sort of thing. If you were going in October I'd recommend the enchanted forest, but... lol

Yeah, kind of wishing it was later now with the weather, but it was a spur of the moment 'break', so it's just about being somewhere else, really. Walks sound nice. Any thoughts on the safety of the area? I'm not timid, but traveling alone makes me more cautious.

Don't know the area super well, but if you have access to a car there's some great walks nearby around Killiecrankie. Dunkeld is nice as well, although that's a 15-20 minute drive away.

No car, I'm afraid. I'l be taking almost 7 hours of trains, though!

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, kind of wishing it was later now with the weather, but it was a spur of the moment 'break', so it's just about being somewhere else, really. Walks sound nice. Any thoughts on the safety of the area? I'm not timid, but traveling alone makes me more cautious.
I'm a big 6'5" bearded guy so my experience may be different to others lol, but it's not all that big and is a fairly quiet place so I would have thought it's safe enough.

bibliodragon

Oct 30, 2017
Pitlochry is full of grannies. You'll be safe.
This. Your biggest danger is being trampled by tourists, Pitlochry is heaving with them. Have your elbows ready!

Things to do out of the rain, that's a toughie. There's now a nice new visitors centre overlooking the dam, complete with cafe. There's the Bell's distillery, or if you're up for a walk there's tiny Edradour distillery. Moulin Inn has great atmosphere, but likely to be busy (bloody tourists). If you're up for a walk, across the dam and around Loch Faskally is nice, and there's the dam visitors centre at one end, the boating station at the other for pit stops. Or you could go down river and cross the swinging bridge.

Plaice to Be is the best chippie and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. It's carry out only though. Main Street is full of cafes now, so you'll be spoiled for choice (Hettie's is nice, but expensive).

Pitlochry is full of grannies. You'll be safe.

hqdefault.jpg

This. Your biggest danger is being trampled by tourists, Pitlochry is heaving with them. Have your elbows ready!

Things to do out of the rain, that's a toughie. There's now a nice new visitors centre overlooking the dam, complete with cafe. There's the Bell's distillery, or if you're up for a walk there's tiny Edradour distillery. Moulin Inn has great atmosphere, but likely to be busy (bloody tourists). If you're up for a walk, across the dam and around Loch Faskally is nice, and there's the dam visitors centre at one end, the boating station at the other for pit stops. Or you could go down river and cross the swinging bridge.

Plaice to Be is the best chippie and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. It's carry out only though. Main Street is full of cafes now, so you'll be spoiled for choice (Hettie's is nice, but expensive).

It was a struggle to find a room for the three days. In the end I had to split it first day in one place, last two in another. That could be great for company/joining up with random people for town stuff. Or a bother with crowds, as you say. -_- I'll definitely try at least one distillery, and I'll check out the Moulin Inn after a long walk around Loch Faskally maybe. And lunch at the chippie on the way out? Thanks for all the suggestion (thank you, everyone else, as well!). You seem to know a lot. Are you a local?

Last edited:

bibliodragon

Oct 30, 2017
It was a struggle to find a room for the three days. In the end I had to split it first day in one place, last two in another. That could be great for company/joining up with random people for town stuff. Or a bother with crowds, as you say. -_- I'll definitely try at least one distillery, and I'll check out the Moulin Inn after a long walk around Loch Faskally maybe. And lunch at the chippie on the way out? Thanks for all the suggestion (thank you, everyone else, as well!). You seem to know a lot. Are you a local?

You're welcome. I have family up there (some of the grannies) so I've been visiting the place practically my whole life. If you're up for something a bit further out, Blair Atholl is about 20 minutes by train, and that's where you start to get the typical Highland landscape. They have a working watermill/tea room, and last time I was there it was free to have a look at the workings of it.

You're welcome. I have family up there (some of the grannies) so I've been visiting the place practically my whole life. If you're up for something a bit further out, Blair Atholl is about 20 minutes by train, and that's where you start to get the typical Highland landscape. They have a working watermill/tea room, and last time I was there it was free to have a look at the workings of it.

How lucky to have family in such a beautiful location! The rain is a shame, but it looks like the kind of place where even a gloomy forecast just makes it more attractive. Will look into Blair Atholl. Cheers!