• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
comparison.png
Is this a...is this a word document?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Cpu and ssd are obviously big jumps but I think that any "this will be the single biggest difference" claim sells the whole set of improvements short. We are getting tons of new gpu features that increase efficiency plus raw power.

Yesterday's demo wouldn't be possible without the gpu features that allow the gpus to be more flexible to process geometry without the cpu input or raw power for the lighting model.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
So who to believe? Devs saying the SSD is the biggest difference maker or devs saying the CPU is the biggest?

I really think it just depends on what the developer's intentions and general game design plans are. If a developer wants to go crazy with physics objects and super dense worlds with lots of characters and AI and other crazy stuff, those are all things that having a much stronger CPU will enable. If a developer wants to not really focus on those things but have a much less restrictive world with fast movement speeds or crazy details, then the SSD will be much more important for that as the SSD will allow for much faster asset streaming and thus much crazier forms of transportation or even no loading screens (a big dream of BGS's Todd Howard).

I wish I could explain it better but I am not a game developer and this is just my understanding of things. Both the CPU and SSD are crazy improvements that will offer a lot of ways game design can change, but the biggest difference is just dependent on the developers themselves.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019
Perhaps you have not been reading other threads, but in many of the more Sony centric threads many are spinning the Narrative that the advantage the PS5 has in the SSD is all that matters.

No I haven't, either way why wouldn't they? Epic and other devs haven't given then a reason to believe otherwise, as I'm sure xbox fans are quite pleased about the 12 tf and 17% gpu advantage.

Why shouldn't playstation guys tout an almost 50% SSD advantage?

Or should they listen to scorn devs who have vested interest in their exclusive Console platform (Xbox).

End of the say the CPU is pretty much the same, so PS5 will mach xbox there, but will xbox mach the ps5 ssd?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I for one am happy to never see the Jaguar based devices ever again, they were slow as shiiiiite.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
No I haven't, either way why wouldn't they? Epic and other devs haven't given then a reason to believe otherwise, as I'm sure xbox fans are quite pleased about the 12 tf and 17% gpu advantage.

Or should they listen to scorn devs who have vested interest in their exclusive Console platform (Xbox).

End of the say the CPU is pretty much the same, so PS5 will mach xbox there, but will xbox mach the ps5 ssd?

definition of same = identical

cpus are not identical

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
So who to believe? Devs saying the SSD is the biggest difference maker or devs saying the CPU is the biggest?

I know I'm hoping on, but it's all in good faith

To be blunt it's both.

Anyone who knows how systems interact will tell you need some form of ram/storage cause the needs cpu data.

No matter how you slice the data can be only processed as fast as the cpu or when allowed a gpu or offload mechanism.

SSD is benefitting from having the best console cpu ever than it would if it had say a lesser intel or a lesser amd in it. I will go far as to say you need a beefy cpu to feed that monster of an SSD. SSD, PCIE4/5 and the Ryzen era cpus are friends not mortal enemies.

The CPU change from Jaguar to Zen 2 is like a two generation leap. It's kind of mental.

For me in networking it's 3 orders in some metrics, thousands of percents and flat out 2-4x gains where most gens we get percentile gains in those categories.

In queueing alone cause it holds up insanely, I got to take out old ArmV7 processors, think about that vs even switch processors to basic ryzen 1 then 2 and now these.

I went from one process per core for some topologies I make to 4 to 8 depending on client needs.

Last edited:

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's interesting to hear the comments about responsiveness and smoothness and it's completely true that it doesn't sell consoles to most people. In an ideal world a console generation would focus mainly on making 60fps standard but as much as people talk about wanting that to happen they're not willing to make the sacrifices elsewhere. The best we can hope for is that more developers give people options when the new gen comes around since not everyone is looking at 4K as necessary.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I read that like he was upset his game had to be mixed up in all that. And who wouldn't be, by the way. Had they been part of a normal showcase and not "Tomorrow the game changes" PR crap all of those games would have went over fine.
The Scorn kickstarter even explained they were going to re-reveal the game with a gameplay trailer, but the Inside Xbox offer meant they didn't have time for that:
Why is there no gameplay in the trailer?
We were actually planning to release a different trailer at a later date that was twice as long, and that was going to feature gameplay elements, but the opportunity to be a part of Inside Xbox happened in a very short period of time. Microsoft also couldn't give us more than 2 minutes (not that we would be able to prepare more on such short notice anyway) so we decide to re-conceptualize and re-arrange it. We like to set a specific mood and pacing with the trailers and it was already hard squeezing this much into 2 minutes, let alone having additional gameplay footage without disrupting the established flow and mood.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
Is the GPU details for PS5 correct, it says that its also variable as well?
The GPU and CPU for PS5 are both running on variable frequencies. What is listed in the specs are their maximum frequencies, but they will vary based on the thermal budget of the SoC vs the workload.

it may need to reduce the power by 10%, which Sony says only requires a drop in frequencies by a few %.

XSX are all sustained frequencies. 3.8 ghz for 8 cores/16 threads or 3.66 ghz for 8 cores/8 threads. GPU locked at 1.825 ghz

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring

To be fair, its a good bit more than 17 percent. PS5 is a 9.2 TF machine that reaches over 10 with after burners on. Keep them on too long and it'll explode. But the SSD advantage is undeniable. It's almost like they have a template for game design that they made a console for.

Funnily enough, despite XSX getting marketing for Valhallah, the PS5 is seemingly better placed to stream its open world in a (shorter) blink.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With severly compromised visuals. FH4 with the 60fps option reduces resolution to 1080p and the lighting takes a major hit as well. Play a night race in FH4 and the light casting from the vehicle onto the enviroments is pretty amazing...turning the game to 60fps removes that completely.

I had no idea about the lighting tbh, I knew about the resolution differences.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, its a good bit more than 17 percent. PS5 is a 9.2 TF machine that reaches over 10 with after burners on. Keep them on too long and it'll explode. But the SSD advantage is undeniable. It's almost like they have a template for game design that they made a console for.

Funnily enough, despite XSX getting marketing for Valhallah, the PS5 is seemingly better placed to stream its open world in a (shorter) blink.
Lol. What? you got proof of this?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Thats a wrong info.it rarely downclocks .as cerny mentioned there is enough power available to run gpu and cpu at their max at the same time.

Then why bother making it variable to begin with? It would be better from a marketing perspective to cap it at 99% output and not have the ambiguous *VARIABLE fine print.

Dec 8, 2018
He might be right.

We'll see soon enough. But yea, those CPUs were real dogs last gen. Like, yikes.

IIRC, the PS5 CPU downclocks regularly. Can't remember the details, but I'm sure someone will link. It will not be at its max frequency very regularly.

This bullshit again.... It will stay at the max frequency most of the time and it will very seldom have drop any frequencies.

Dec 8, 2018

Stop this console warrior bullshit.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

That's a super good point considering if we added up all the sony exclusives with engines that are more like that it becomes obvious what sony wants to do well without much issues or certain 3rd party devs like rockstar, activision, ea, ubisoft alone.

Then why bother making it variable to begin with? It would be better from a marketing perspective to cap it at 99% output and not have the ambiguous *VARIABLE fine print.

Cause in the era of gpus and cpus we have outside of 24/7 ocs it's wasteful to just let thigns max out.

as long as cstates aren't cauing problems what's the real issue you could complain about. You get max performance as the title needs and with an fps cap it literally only taking power and cycles it needs. The beauty of this design is because of this gpu and cpus now have more power for extra things to do.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring
Note that the PS5 CPU is 3.5ghz in both standard and SMT mode
The PS5 CPU is only 3.5 GHz when the GPU isn't taxed. If a game is GPU intensive and the PS5 CPU throttles down to 3.2 GHz the Series X could version could opt to use the 3.8 GHz mode which would mean a 600 MHz difference! That's a huge difference when comparing the specs.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Can you show where u got 9.2 tf machine from ? If u refer to 2 ghz github clock in 2019 which leads to 9.2 tf , xsx clock was 1.65ghz in that github test of 2019. They both increased clocks on rdna2 by 250 mhz (ps5 to 2.25 and xsx to 1.85) which means rdna 2 allowed both to increase the clock while staying in the allowed TDP.

So again do you have source for saying its 9.2 tf ? Cause that's news to me

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It can be both.

Other devs talking about Series X even said both.

Speaking of narratives, this is the real one here, lol

Dec 8, 2018
The PS5 CPU is only 3.5 GHz when the GPU isn't taxed. If a game is GPU intensive and the PS5 CPU throttles down to 3.2 GHz the Series X could version could opt to use the 3.8 GHz mode which would mean a 600 MHz difference! That's a huge difference when comparing the specs.

No game pushing the system with CPU intense gameplay will ever use the 3,8 no SMT version of the XsX outside badly unoptimized indies perhaps.

And this bullshit that the PS5 cant maintain max frequencies is bs and even confirmed by for instance our very own Matt here. The PS5 is a 10.2TF machine with a 3.5Ghz CPU and the amount of time it won't be is so infrequent it wil not amount to anything visable.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
thats definately not true:
as per cerny:
" There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."
www.eurogamer.net

PlayStation 5 uncovered: the Mark Cerny tech deep dive

On March 18th, Sony finally broke cover with in-depth information on the technical make-up of PlayStation 5. Expanding …

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Note that the PS5 CPU is 3.5ghz in both standard and SMT mode so when devs start using SMT the difference is CPUs between the Series X and PS5 becomes nonexistent.

Its frankly incredible how close the stats are this time, less than a 15% variance overall this time (excluding the I/O).
PS5 CPU has a variable clock though, 3.5ghz is a peak rather than constant. But I agree the difference between the CPUs won't provide any significant real world difference.

Huggie

Oct 22, 2018
That 2.2ghz gpu speed on the ps5 is bonkers. Must be screaming so hot! Would be funny if xbox come out in July and say they increased their gpu speeds up to 2ghz or something. Dynamic states is just a software bios thing, interesting to think about.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
PS5 is a 9.2 TF machine that reaches over 10 with after burners on. Keep them on too long and it'll explode.
This is a very efficient way of telling people not to take you seriously. Era is not the only place I'm seeing this "PS5 is a 9.2TF machine! Sony overclocked it just so it could reach 10TF for marketing purposes!"

And, not that you care, but it's the opposite - PS5 should spend most of its time at max clocks. Based on what's been said, it doesn't even seem like the machine will downclock enough to reach 9.2TF.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think people need to start looking at the dynamic clocks as being "devs can back off clocks when they don't need it" instead of "devs can add clocks when they need it". I think people got confused when he talked about "boost mode", but that's only in reference to backwards compatibility, not regular PS5 games.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
A whopping 3% difference will surely provide quite the difference right.

Look, I don't give a shit about console wars, the person I was quoting Japi saying they are exactly the same is being dishonest. There's likely more than just the speed difference like differences in cache, etc.

Best case scenario from 3.5 to 3.66 is 4.5% with smt
Best case scenario from 3.5 to 3.8 is 8.2% without smt

Will it make a difference, maybe a bit. Maybe a bit more if PS5's cpu needs to flex less for the gpu. Maybe in certain cases PS5 cpu comes out ahead. Let's state the facts as facts as we know them and wait for the games to prove it.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Well yeah. 7th gen went for a multi core/ multi threaded setup when single cores was common.

Then the Jaguar CPUs came in when they're targeted for notebooks

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been telling folks for months to go for 3700x over a 3600, and for their sakes I hope that's enough CPU for them, and I was just wrong - but I don't think so, especially for 60FPS. It's gonna be a rough few years for PC players from the jump.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been telling folks for months to go for 3700x over a 3600, and for their sakes I hope that's enough CPU for them, and I was just wrong - but I don't think so, especially for 60FPS. It's gonna be a rough few years for PC players from the jump.
Yeah, a lot of people just assume that because few games get considerable penalties with 4 or 6 cores that it's just "the limit" for parallelization in games, when it's just that devs never had even consider it before when an Intel core could easily do more work than two Jaguars, with both the frequency and IPC differences and all.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
But the jump from HDD to SSD is like 40X - 100X right? But the jump in CPU is a single digit. So I believe the SSD is the revolutionary part

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
He might be right.

We'll see soon enough. But yea, those CPUs were real dogs last gen. Like, yikes.

IIRC, the PS5 CPU downclocks regularly. Can't remember the details, but I'm sure someone will link. It will not be at its max frequency very regularly.
I can swear all the literature on the subject says the exact opposite. So I am curious to know where you are getting your information.

Unless I am grossly mistaken and my grasp on English (which is the only language I speak) is limited, I think Cerny saying that the system will maintain its peak clocks most of the time is the literal opposite of you saying that the system will not be at peak clocks regularly.

Anyways, at the end of the day none of that shit matters.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
It's really both. Trying to argue about which is much more revolutionary is just arguing for the sake of it.

We already got a taste of higher CPU in Xbox One and later Xbox One X going from 1.3TF up to 6TF but we never had the chance to experience SSD games ONLY even on PC. So it's very easy for developers to target more powerful CPUs but targeting SSD ONLY is a new thing in my opinion