• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you targeting 60FPS for Scorn? Does that mean there'll be a lot of combat in the game, thus requiring smooth controls?

For PC players with keyboard and mouse 60FPS is simply a necessity. We also feel that responsiveness should be as important on consoles. It's the players direct communication with the game. Even if you are just talking about graphical fidelity, when a game runs at 30FPS you start losing the established details once the camera starts moving.

wccftech.com

Scorn Interview - Xbox Series X Is a 'Very Balanced System'; Trailer Was Running on an RTX 2080Ti

We talk to the Game Director of Scorn. He claims that the Xbox Series X is a very balanced system and clarifies the GPU used in the trailer.

I agree. Give me as much 60fps next gen and not only shooters and racing games.

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand why developers target looks over the framerate, the aspect of next generation that excites me most is current gen games getting fps boosts and tweaks for ps5. Thats kind of the dream for me and would entice me from PC and feel like I don't just use it to play with close friends

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things
While I understand why developers target looks over the framerate, the aspect of next generation that excites me most is current gen games getting fps boosts and tweaks for ps5. Thats kind of the dream for me and would entice me from PC and feel like I don't just use it to play with close friends

Right now I have no interest in ps5, but if they say: bloodborne will run at 60 - I'm gonna get one.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Good! The vast majority of games involves you playing them, so of course 60 fps should be the standard. It just feels better to play, even if it's not an action game.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The developer says they haven't had much time to employ the new technologies for Xbox One X as they just got a few weeks ago so I'm wondering if this was mainly a funding deal to get them enough resources to finish the game like it usually is for most Indies. Now they have 40 people on the team.

"In 2014 there were basically only 4 of us, in 2015 it was double that, in 2017 it was 20, and now we have 40 employees. That's what creates confusion in people's minds
regarding why it's taking so long."

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
Key sentence for me from the interview:
" Even if you are just talking about graphical fidelity, when a game runs at 30FPS you start losing the established details once the camera starts moving"

60fps means better graphical fidelity. It's not just about responsiveness.
Bloodborne looks great in stills but it gets really blurry once the camera starts moving.

The debate between "image quality or framerate" is not as simple as that, higher framerates mean better image quality as well. I know good motion blur and post processing can mitigate this but at the moment it always looks better to hit 60fps.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
" Even if you are just talking about graphical fidelity, when a game runs at 30FPS you start losing the established details once the camera starts moving"

Bloodborne looks great in stills but it gets really blurry once the camera starts moving.

The debate between "image quality or framerate" is not as simple as that, higher framerates mean better image quality as well. I know good motion blur and post processing can mitigate this but at the moment it always looks better to hit 60fps.
Yup.

Motion resolution is very important.
Really hope that next generation 2D games will support 120fps.
60hz is quite blurry during fast scrolling on modern sample and hold displays.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
This Dev has understood it. I tried the 4K30 option in Nioh 2, but I had to change back to 1080p60 in less than a minute, even with standing still almost felt different, with a small upgrade in image quality (C9 here, and I have good eyes), but a slight turn in camera makes it so different in a bad way. There are some games that are ok in 30fps, like Pokemon Sword. Feels over eyecandy. But native 4K60 is way better than 1080p60.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
while I don't believe all devs will target 60 fps (especially for big open world games), it'd be nice if it became more of a trend because a game with a good framerate will age way better than a game with good visuals imo.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

it drives me crazy how 30 fps vs 60+ fps debates rarely mention motion clarity, when its such a big contributor to visuals during active gameplay.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not all games, as turn-based ones don't really need it.
Navigating through menus absolutely benefits from the lower latency of 60fps.

In fact, it's the pause/options menu when the latency of a 30fps lock becomes even more obvious. When you navigate through the same menu at 60fps it feels completely different. And 120fps is a big jump further again.

Higher framerates change how literally everything feels.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yup.

Motion resolution is very important.
Really hope that next generation 2D games will support 120fps.
60hz is quite blurry during fast scrolling on modern sample and hold displays.
I really hope for that too. Especially since microsoft will be having much more official support for 120hz modes. I also hope the Fighting Games starts to offer 120hz modes.

Absolutely!

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be good to see a lot of console games offering the choice - 1080p and 60fps or 4k (native or checkerboard) and 30fps

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017

In fact, it's the pause/options menu when the latency of a 30fps lock becomes even more obvious. When you navigate through the same menu at 60fps it feels completely different. And 120fps is a big jump further again.

It would be lovely if GUI would always run at refreshrate independent of rest of the game framerate.
I really hope for that too. Especially since microsoft will be having much more official support for 120hz modes. I also hope the Fighting Games starts to offer 120hz modes.

Absolutely!
Oh, yes.

Fighting games would be perfect fit for 120fps.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'd like to see more 60fps games, but I'm also still fine with some 30fps games if the visual tradeoff is spectacular enough to be worth it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Please always sacrifice graphics in favor of framerate. Fluid gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>shiny textures or fancy postprocess or ultra detailed geometry.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
60fps is fantastic and I honestly don't need it higher than that, I just see no reason. But I am not sure every single game needs it. Let's say a open world RPG with tons of NPCs, details, physics, weather systems.....can that run at 60fps? I'm sure it can but I am also pretty sure it won't look nearly as impressive as if it's in 30fps.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly the vast majority of the game playing public know shit all about framerate and why higher is always better.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
60fps is fantastic and I honestly don't need it higher than that, I just see no reason. But I am not sure every single game needs it. Let's say a open world RPG with tons of NPCs, details, physics, weather systems.....can that run at 60fps? I'm sure it can but I am also pretty sure it won't look nearly as impressive as if it's in 30fps.
Witcher 3 at 60 FPS+ is a different game, what you are getting is much more valuable than looking a little better in a still

Jan 21, 2019
Not all games, as turn-based ones don't really need it.

But yes, most action games should be 60fps, as it's the fact that 60fps brings more responsiveness and less input latency. Your regular "I'm fine with 30fps" just doesn't cut it anymore, because that's just an opinion.

Nah, even Persona looks much better at 60. I turned on motion interpolation on my TV while playing it just to see what it would look like. And roaming the streets looked amazing and combat animations too. Sadly the lag is pretty annoying with such a menu heavy game.

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020

Totally agree. It's not a simple trade off between frame rate and fidelity, not once the game starts moving. 60 fps looks way better.

God of War looks better at 1080p 60fps (sort of) than 4k 30 fps imo, because you can actually see the graphics so much more clearly at a higher frame rate.

I really do think it's time all action games go with 60 fps now. I appreciate that Microsoft at least has been pushing it, hopefully they follow through once they reveal their first party games in July.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
All games should be 60
I remember when ps360 gen started and it took a few years for madden to get back to 60fps on 360 and a couple more on ps3! It's just too obvious you've been playing at 60 when it gets cut in half

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
Sadly the vast majority of the game playing public know shit all about framerate and why higher is always better.

Do they need to though? 60 looks so much better in videos, which is the main medium for promoting games now as opposed to screens, that they can see the benefit even if they don't know what's driving it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

And in some turn based games you still move the camera around, which looks horrible at 30fps in comparison to 60fps, so they too should aim for it. Games not only look better, they play better at 60fps.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
In the 80's and 90's , 90% of consoles and arcade video games was 60fps cuz it was the way to play video game : fluidity for the eyes and responsivity for the gameplay. Then , arrived the 3D consoles ....

60fps should be standard.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not for me. Not on my 65 inch C9. I immediately see the difference in clarity. For me the resolution mode is the way to go in that game.
"Resolution mode"? Are you talking about the X version? Because the framerate mode there only has an unlocked 30-60fps mode and it runs at a lowly 1080p. Now play it at a locked 60fps+ on PC at a decent resolution and you'll see how it feels completely different to consoles, especially where combat is concerned.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
"Resolution mode"? Are you talking about the X version? Because the framerate mode there only has an unlocked 30-60fps mode and it runs at a lowly 1080p. Now play it at a locked 60fps+ on PC at a decent resolution and you'll see how it feels completely different to consoles, especially where combat is concerned.

Yep, Xbox One X. I can only imagine how amazing Witcher 3 is at a resolution higher than 1080p at 60fps. I hope so much XSX will do this right out of the box for the game, it should in the performance mode. I think you told me in the previous thread about that.

60fps is lovely, going from Halo 4 to 5 or Battlefront is a world of difference but I'm also a graphics whore and if given the choice between the best visuals you can imagine in a RPG or 60fps with significantly less visual bells and whistles.....i go for the former. But that's probably also where dynamic resolutions and reconstruction techniques come into play.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair i dont know how much better Gears 5 could have looked and that was 60fps. Sure there are some settings lower. But it not like going between 4k and 1080p when everything comes blurry.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Any FPS that's not targeting 60 on these new machines will be getting major side eye from me.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It'd be good to see a lot of console games offering the choice - 1080p and 60fps or 4k (native or checkerboard) and 30fps

There's no reason a 4k 30fps game would have to go down to 1080p to hit 60fps. 1440p 60fps is what devs should strive for, then reconstruct the image back up to 4k, or downsample it to 1080p.

Unless a game is incredibly CPU intensive, there's really no reason anymore for devs not to have a 60fps mode, this should be standard, let us choose, and devs should build thier games to scale well for future hardware (dynamic res and other dynamic graphical features, image reconstruction, unlocked framerate options for example).

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Good! The vast majority of games involves you playing them, so of course 60 fps should be the standard. It just feels better to play, even if it's not an action game.

I would argue that even cutscenes benefit from 60 fps. Everything looks so much clearer and smoother when in motion.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The developer says they haven't had much time to employ the new technologies for Xbox One X as they just got a few weeks ago so I'm wondering if this was mainly a funding deal to get them enough resources to finish the game like it usually is for most Indies. Now they have 40 people on the team.

"In 2014 there were basically only 4 of us, in 2015 it was double that, in 2017 it was 20, and now we have 40 employees. That's what creates confusion in people's minds
regarding why it's taking so long."

I'm really curious as the history of this game and developer. A few years back it sounded like this was going to be a PSVR game though that may have just been unsubstantiated rumors.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Yep, 60 fps should be the standard. Don't "force" it on devs, of course, but just provide all the tools needed to let it happen.
I really don't see why something like AC Valhalla should be anything less than 60 on the series x and PS5 this fall.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I long wished for console games to let me lower their resolution for a better framerate, hope that becomes common practice next gen

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
60FPS is amazing and outside of a few genre 60FPS should be the standard. I just think slow paced games like strategy games or Quantic Dreams games don't really need 60FPS.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
As an Xbox Series X developer, which aspect of the new Velocity Architecture impressed you the most? Will Scorn feature any loading screen between the zones, and do you expect differences in this regard between Xbox Series X and PC?

Series X as a platform has been available to us for only two months, so we are still figuring out everything that is at our disposal. I think that the Series X is a very balanced system. The SSD solution is an incredible improvement when it comes to loading assets, and as it stands now it seems that there will be complete parity between PC and Series X versions of the game.

Interesting! So early 2020 devs got maybe near final devkits?