• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
why is every preview of this playing up the young scooby & shaggy angle like it's the entire movie

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
KG9llxC.gif
FUCK out the way!!!

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this now with my kids and wow is it bad. This script is just... ugh. Kids (6 & 8) seem to be enjoying it, though.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Watched it earlier. I'll likely never watch it again, but I did appreciate the Hanna-Barbera guest appearances and Easter eggs.

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really liked the movie, went in expecting the worst from the way people reacted in this thread. Loved the Hanna-Barbera crossovers.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly a Hannah Barberra universe is like...pretty fucking amazing if in the right hands.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
I actually didn't have much problem with the movie but I thought the beginning was much stronger then the end. My biggest WTF (and I can't believe no one in the thread has mentioned this) is a scene where scooby doo says a complete line of dialogue in English (no cute scooby dog voice or dog voice at all) and the VA sounds like it is different for that one line too. Since the thread says open spoilers its when the mystery van crashes into the temple and Scooby saves the gang by prying the back of the van door open. Since we are all watching this on VOD (and so you guys can go back and see the gaf) it's at 1:11:15. Let's all rewind and laugh at that scene. How did that get approved? Really took me out of the movie there.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If we're doing spoilers, then holy fuck, the whole 'Scooby Doo is the chosen one, Alexander the Great and Cerberus blah blah, unintelligible shit' is so fucking bad. The writing team was sent on a fool's errand with the cinematic universe concept, but even considering that, they did an absolutely abysmal job with the entire thing. How is any of this Scooby Doo-ish? And why are there so many aggressively uninteresting and pointless setpieces?

When they unmask the villain and reveal Simon Cowell, I was 100% convinced for about 5 seconds that he was the actual villain, because that seemed about the level the film was operating on.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The movie coming out now is all you need to know about the studio's confidence in the movie's quality & appeal

Jul 5, 2019
I wasn't expecting much from this but that was horrible, legit reminded me of the Emoji Movie with how cynical and soulless it was. These characters deserve much better.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it with a group earlier. It felt like an especially poor Scooby film considering how little it actually felt like the rest of the franchise tonally. Otherwise, it was pretty "meh" and really does just feel like they wanted a spring board to potentially launch some kind of HBCU.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
So hold up the Epstein character in the leak was actually Simon Cowell? Like the actual Simon from American idol or is it just a joke that he looks like Simon.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Came to post that I can't wait for the Black Nerd Comedy review and as I started to type this I got a notification that he posted a review.

I'm honestly shook....

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Watched it earlier with some others. It was really, really bad. One of the worst kids movies I've seen in a while. I 100% agree with the user who compared it to the Emoji Movie.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
If this was Emoji movie bad I might like the Emoji movie. I seriously thought this movie was ok until probably they got to the island. Will I own this movie no (and that's kind of how I rate movies) but I give this a 6/10 maybe a 6.5. I don't regret my $25 purchase. As many other posters have said, the animation in this movie really was great.

They really did captain caveman wrong though. I don't know how i wanted the character to look/act but that wasn't it. And the whole prophecy thing sucked (you could even tell the writers wanted the audience to gloss over the fact that it was going in a very unscooby doo direction by Fred saying "This is our most important case yet........because it involves the origin of one of us" in which I slapped myself).

So yea when they got to Island/prophecy is where they lost me everything before then I thought was a serviceable, fun movie.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be watching it with my daughter in a few days when we have time but to be honest, the lack of Lillard was the first strike against the movie. The leaked script then definitely soured it further.

I'd love a movie version of Mystery Inc. And then give me a 2nd, and a 3rd. MInc brought in other HB characters in a way that just felt 'right' and more importantly fun.

In short. Bring back Mystery Inc you cowards.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
why is every preview of this playing up the young scooby & shaggy angle like it's the entire movie

That's actually the best part of the movie, at least when the gang first gets together.

I still can't get over how they resolve the final conflict. Like they build up this sacrifice (which nobody believed) and then just nope, Poochie died on the way back to his home planet, nothing to see here.

Dyno Mutt being the competent one was a change, though.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
That's actually the best part of the movie, at least when the gang first gets together.

I still can't get over how they resolve the final conflict. Like they build up this sacrifice (which nobody believed) and then just nope, Poochie died on the way back to his home planet, nothing to see here.

Dyno Mutt being the competent one was a change, though.

I thought Shaggy just getting to come back was stupid and i still don't get how that happened (the other statue appearing after the fact- still don't get that). I thought they were sequel baiting hard and would leave it as shaggy trapped in hell with the "one person has to stay on either side of the doorway to keep it closed" stuff (also thanks for stealing from Kingdom Hearts- Disney look into this) which I would of hated but they just added that thing at the end with shaggy coming back and, if I cared enough about this movie, I would still be lost on how that happened and/or made any sense. If your going to introduce a stupid prophecy at least stick with it don't just keep changing it at your convenience and getting stupider.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Mystery Inc. was peak Scooby-Doo. This film isn't the worst thing to come from the franchise, but its definitely far, far, far from the top.

What's Scooby-Doo currently up to on TV?

Oh... apparently its just a show where they pair the gang up with some celeb or fictional character each week... fuck it, I'm going to rewatch Mystery Inc.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely liked the references and cameos they added to the movie.

The movie overall was good old Scooby stuff. Maybe not spectacular, but good family movie.

I had wondered beforehand why Muttley was missing when Dastardly is the star villain. Then they explained it right away.

And even through greed, he still missed his snickering dog.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
What year did this film begin development 2006. Shrek 2 had a Simon Cowell cameo!!! How is he relevant enough to be a character in a kids movie in 2020. Usually these animated movies trying to be hip and modern are dated by the time they come out because how long animation takes, but this one is going back an entire decade for its big celebrity cameo. Just seems weird.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
What year did this film begin development 2006. Shrek 2 had a Simon Cowell cameo!!! How is he relevant enough to be a character in a kids movie in 2020. Usually these animated movies trying to be hip and modern are dated by the time they come out because how long animation takes, but this one is going back an entire decade for its big celebrity cameo. Just seems weird.

You don't watch America's got talent? And X Factor is still a thing, just not in USA.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, it was a fun, corny scooby movie with colorful animation, ok voice acting, decent plot and some funny jokes here and there.

Sometimes I feel people get into kids/family movies with the intention of hating. This is clearly a kids movie with some slight parental bonus and entertaining enough to not dread having the movie on repeat all day. Its good, not great or amazing, but good.

I'm looking forward to more crossovers if it does well.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it, it was a fun, corny scooby movie with colorful animation, ok voice acting, decent plot and some funny jokes here and there.

Sometimes I feel people get into kids/family movies with the intention of hating. This is clearly a kids movie with some slight parental bonus and entertaining enough to not dread having the movie on repeat all day. Its good, not great or amazing, but good.

I'm looking forward to more crossovers if it does well.
All of the Scooby Doo material ever produced is aimed at kids/families, but manages to still be super good for wide age ranges. Just being a 'kids thing' doesn't preclude it from being high quality.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
You don't watch America's got talent? And X Factor is still a thing, just not in USA.
American idol was a pop culture phenomenon and made Simon one too. I dont think Americas got talent is even close to as big as peak Idol. I just feel like hes not big enough in 2020 to show up as a major celebrity cameo in a kids move without it seeming dated, but you are right i forgot about the uk hes probably still a bigger name there than in america. My bad on that one. Also i googled simon and it turns out he also got his young son a role in this film so thats cool and im going to drop this

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All of the Scooby Doo material ever produced is aimed at kids/families, but manages to still be super good for wide age ranges. Just being a 'kids thing' doesn't preclude it from being high quality.
I agree, and also no one is obligated to like something. But I feel there is this mentality to go into something expecting to hate it. But to each their own.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the waste the bonkers plot, if only Phil Lord & Chris Miller worked on something this crazy.
Oof
And yeah, this is something that would be excellent if helmed by Lord and Miller, or at least the Mystery Inc creators.

Sad, I had high chances for this movie becuase if thought of a hanna barbera movie series could be super fun and i like scooby doo.

Are people honestly rating the TV series above the film? Because the trailer alone was better than the TV series 😂
What tv series? theres been a FUCKIN TON. Also, one of them, Mystery Inc, has been the best scooby doo has been ever done, so I dont know why you act surprised. Even if this was a good movie, mystery ince would probably still be better.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it last night. It had sprinkles of potential, but for the most part, I checked out after Shag and Scoob jumped from 0 to 60 and quit the gang when Daphe, Velma, and Fred were quite literally defending them from Simon Cowell.

It had a few decent bits of humor, but they never really committed to the more absurd stuff or go as far as they could have. Be Cool Scooby Doo is my fave incarnation of the series and this one felt like it wanted to be somewhat like that, but didn't let the characters actually be weird like them. Everyone was mostly bland.

Captain Caveman was probably the highlight. It was definitely out of nowhere, but at least he was feeling like more of a cartoon character than anyone else.

Story was... I don't know. Like I said, I checked out here and there. When the skulls came in, I legit thought Dick Dastardly needed Scooby's skull and at the end, we would've had a Cerebus with the heads of Scooby, Muttley, and another Hannah Barbara talking dog. Why? I don't know, but that would've been more interesting in my opinion at least.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I actually liked it a good bit. The 4K is amazing and the HDR is gorgeous. The plot and story was decent for me. Hope they do another.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Only 20 min in and it bounces from action scene to action scene like your typical cgi film made for ADHD kids... and the whole "What do Scoob and Shaggy bring to the table" with Simon is an overused plot from Scooby Doo 2 Monsters Unleashed.

Also, they're making Scoob talk too much, which has always been weird, like the episode of Scooby Mystery Incorporated season 2 episode 1 where Scoob is giving a monologue while imprisoned at the Puppy Farm. Funny enough, it's the same problem The Real Ghostbusters faced in later years with Slimer... making him speak too much feels... off.

But I'll stick with it for the cameos. Lets see if this recovers.

Edit: Whew... that film was a mess in the end😂

Last edited:

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised nobody's asked the big question yet...

How does this compare to the live-action movies from the early 2000s? The first of which had Scrappy-Doo as the twist villain?

"I know what you are thinking : wait a minutes, a movie that prioritizes universe building over focusing on a characters in that you are suppossed to be looking in the origins story for that same characters? That don't sound like Warner brothers at all!"

Was just about make note of this. Seems whoever was responsible at WAG writing this/setting up this supposed H-B universe learned nothing from the DCEU/Snyderverse and especially the Dark Universe (studios still can't get over taking properties in one genre and then turning them out into another).

There's an old quote about how "everyone wants to have an MCU, but nobody wants to make an Iron Man" and that still seems to ring true.

And speaking of Warner Bros. refusing to learn from mistakes, I can't wait to see that live-action Tom and Jerry movie directed by Tim Story that's supposed to come out in December. Based on the synopsis, it's going to be the 1992 movie all over again.

Oct 28, 2017
Watched it with the kids last night. Thought it was fine. Didnt know about all the Cinematic Universe crossover stuff so I was quite surprised. I laughed at a few things and was too turned off by the humor in general.

Scooby doo aint never been more than silly so this is par for the course.