• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
My son was excited to hell when I showed him this, I didn't hate it either. Just got stung with Adams Family though so I'm weary.

Oct 27, 2017
I know they gotta introduce it to a new generation of kids, and make it family friendly, but damn I'm sad that the actual canon of Shaggy being super high all the time is being re-written

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Whenever a new Scooby-Doo project launches I always wonder "Who asked for this?"

But they keep making them, so someone out there is watching them I guess.

In this case, they're using this movie as the lynchpin for a Hanna Barbera CU.

Warner Bros. really bungled Hanna-Barbera. When Universal signed with H-B to do that Funtastic ride at the parks, they had a whole bunch of popular franchises that got focus. When Warner bought them out, they pushed nothing but Scooby, and neglected the others so badly that they fell into obscurity and Universal closed the ride.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
When I look at the character designs, it's obvious they tried to update Fred to be modern. Velma's look is fairly timeless, so it doesn't really stick out as being antiquated or modern.

Daphne and Shaggy look straight out of the 70s and it is incredibly jarring compared to Fred.

It's an odd mash-up that really doesn't work.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Don't see why they didn't use Mathew Lillard, it's not like Will Forte is some bankable star and he sounds like he is doing a poor impression of Shaggy.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Art, animation, and humour look great. But god I just can't jive with those voices. Scoobs is okay, but Shag, Fred and Velma ain't right.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to formally announce that, yes, I am the new voice of Shaggy. I was first approached by WB as far back as breakfast and I've been working on capturing the essence of Shaggy and bringing him to life ever since I got home from work.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how verbal Scooby is nor do I like that awkward licking joke. The rest looks fine and the animation is lovely.

I thought you were exaggerating, but I hate the Scooby voice work. He's not supposed to be so phonetically sound.

Everything else looks cool.

CrimsAnil

Nov 6, 2019
that crappy pop song ruins the entire vibe.
Totally. Put a generic piano, inspirational pop or something, but not this kind of EDM over an older franchise like this. Now it made me remind the Emoji Movie, great.

But I was expecting way worse from this. The animation looks good enough, I liked most of the designs; the jokes were hit and miss to me, but the last and the first one were good.
Let's see more of it, and I might give it a shot once it comes out, but not a must.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The jokes were terrible, but I really love the animation.

I would have appreciated this more if the kids were designed with a pup named scoob in mind

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Would like to point out that Scooby and Shaggy were costumes as Blue Falcon and Dynomutt in the haloween scene so they are teasing that before the beaming up too

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember Scooby ever being quite so... verbose.

Art style looks nice but a lot of the voices sound off to me and the humor seems much more miss than hit, at least going off this teaser. Can't say I'm impressed.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shaggy's voice is so off it's not even funny. Why didn't they hit up Lillard?

When I look at the character designs, it's obvious they tried to update Fred to be modern. Velma's look is fairly timeless, so it doesn't really stick out as being antiquated or modern.

Daphne and Shaggy look straight out of the 70s and it is incredibly jarring compared to Fred.
Shaggy's look isn't especially era-specific either, I wouldn't say. Nondescript pants and a t-shirt.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Saw this and was instantly disappointed because it has the same exact artstyle as most other movies trying to be Pixar but whatever at least Scooby still exists in some form and this is a good idea for a movie but the artstyle and animation is just lame to me. Reminds me of those horrible Adam Sandler vampire movies that dont make me laugh once but its for kids so whatever.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Cartoons can't be for me anymore.

It looks alright, but I feel like I'm fatigued by the way characters animate in modern cg movies. I can't explain it, but maybe someone will know what I mean.

Also, I must be old, because that music is terrible and doesn't seem to fit the scooby universe for any reason. It doesn't have to be hippy shit, give it a spooky sound or something. This just sounds like any other pop garbage.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to make a Hanna Barbera Cinematic universe is dumb to me honestly
Ohhhhh so they're using this to try to make some Hannah Barbara cinematic universe. Sigh.
Do people who keep posting this like... are y'all really young, or just completely unfamiliar with Hanna Barbara cartoons and characters?

Crossovers is like their main schtick and it has been for decades.Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss, Huckleberry Hound, The Flintstones, the Jetsons, Jabber-Jaw, Scooby-Doo in particular, were all constantly crossing over with one another since their inception. They don't have to force or even try to make it happen, it's well known [or it used to be, I guess] that they all take place in the same universe. Then you get shows like Harvey Birdman that capitalize on that fact.

I'm trying to think how some would fit in. stuff like the Jetsons, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Goober, Johnny Quest etc. would be fine, but what about stuff like Pixie and Dixie, Huckleberry hound etc.?
Scooby-Doo has not one, not two, not three, not even four, but more than five talking dogs in the Doo family. It's an accepted fact within the confines of the Hanna Barbara world that animals can talk. They exist in the same world as Jabber Jaw, who is a land walking talking shark. They also exist in the same world as a living car named Speed Buggy. The Flintstones are their wold's past, and the Jetsons are their future, both of which were also inhabited by talking animals (Astro, the many appliance animals in Bedrock). Some of them have crossed paths with Yogi at one point or another. So Jellystone Park is probably an actual place that Mystery Inc could drive to in their world, and if they drove through Texas they'd probably run into Quick Draw McGraw, if they went to Hollywood they could meet Snagglepuss, etc. In fact I just googled to double check and Yogi Bear has appeared in two different Scooby-Doo shows, and there was a Team Up comic featuring Scooby and Shaggy in Jellystone. I think the only one that doesn't fit is Johnny Quest?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
ZPmz.gif

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
It looks more like an adventure movie then a mystery movie, which has me a bit worried, but I'll still probably give it a shot. The humor was all right based on the trailer though, so I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Do people who keep posting this like... are y'all really young, or just completely unfamiliar with Hanna Barbara cartoons and characters?

Crossovers is like their main schtick and it has been for decades.Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss, Huckleberry Hound, The Flintstones, the Jetsons, Jabber-Jaw, Scooby-Doo in particular, were all constantly crossing over with one another since their inception. They don't have to force or even try to make it happen, it's well known [or it used to be, I guess] that they all take place in the same universe. Then you get shows like Harvey Birdman that capitalize on that fact.
For me, it isn't the fact that they are crossing over that's the issue, it's that it feels undeserved. This is meant to be an introduction to the Scooby Doo characters, and for many young children it will be, but the audience isn't just being introduced to the Scooby Doo characters they are being introduced to several franchises in on movie.

Its similar to the DCEU or the Dark Universe. They want to copy the success of the MCU without doing any of the work. In the MCU they teased Iron Man was part of a bigger universe at the end of the first movie, sure, but it didn't really happen fully until five whole movies later. In between Iron Man and the Avengers you had solo movies that stood by themselves that also slowly worked towards a bigger narrative. You weren't introduced to all the Avengers in Iron Man or Incredible Hulk or Thor or Captain America. It didn't happen until the Avengers.

Even within the old cartoons they didn't have crossovers on their first episode, most didn't happen until the second or third season. You have to work towards a crossover. You can't just pull it out of your arse.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I grew up watching the shit out of all of these cartoons. Scooby Doo has plenty of cross-overs yeah, but it was also by far the strongest series on it's own merit, aside from maybe the Flinstones, and the vast majority of what I watched (and what was generally produced) was just Scooby and the gang.

We have not gotten a legit Scooby movie in theaters in....well never (I personally have a strong fondness for the original live action film but I know it's not a good movie). And we haven't even had an attempt in well over a decade. The fact that this one, which looks promising, seems to be immediately focused on launching a HB universe rather than focusing on the gang is stupid.

There is plenty of meat that can be established in Scooby Doo's own personal world and characters. They should have pulled an Iron Man and made this a Scooby Doo movie through and through, and then post credits or what not Scooby gets a call from Dynomutt or some shit saying they need their help. That's fine. Instead it seems that they're more focused on immediately trying to chase combined universe money. And that's been the downfall of a lot of attempted CUs.

Edit : Yeah, a lot of what the poster above me said.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Are we still on this "you have to do several separate movies to do a cinematic universe" shit in the 2019th year of our lord? And why are we listening to a /co/ user's summary?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Are we still on this "you have to do several separate movies to do a cinematic universe" shit in the 2019th year of our lord? And why are we listening to a /co/ user's summary?

The way DC worked out would suggest that you do. But this is Hanna-Barbera, and they've been doing crossovers before most of the people on this forum were thought about.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Scooby-Doo has not one, not two, not three, not even four, but more than five talking dogs in the Doo family. It's an accepted fact within the confines of the Hanna Barbara world that animals can talk. They exist in the same world as Jabber Jaw, who is a land walking talking shark. They also exist in the same world as a living car named Speed Buggy. The Flintstones are their wold's past, and the Jetsons are their future, both of which were also inhabited by talking animals (Astro, the many appliance animals in Bedrock). Some of them have crossed paths with Yogi at one point or another. So Jellystone Park is probably an actual place that Mystery Inc could drive to in their world, and if they drove through Texas they'd probably run into Quick Draw McGraw, if they went to Hollywood they could meet Snagglepuss, etc. In fact I just googled to double check and Yogi Bear has appeared in two different Scooby-Doo shows, and there was a Team Up comic featuring Scooby and Shaggy in Jellystone. I think the only one that doesn't fit is Johnny Quest?

I meant more in terms of theme. The likes of Yogi, Huck, Hokey Wolf, Snagglepuss Augie Doggie etc. are a bit more random in nature than stuff like The Jetsons, Dynomutt, Goober, Hong Kong Phooey etc.

Like, they could get it to work, but I feel like it'd be easier to incorporate the more I guess story based ones into their own films, as opposed to those guys. Obviously they'd show up, but if anything, I'd expect either Yogi or Huckleberry Hound to headline a feature with all of them, like they usually do.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

Oh, I grew up watching these shows too

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This looks cute and I think kids will love scooby in it (how couldn't you).
I still want more Mystery Incorporated though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching the trailer... The most distracting part is that young Shaggy's voice is 100% identical to the elder brother from Boss Baby... Not the sorry of connection I want to make, and now I can't unhear it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Because the trailer appeared to make it seems real, but the official youtube description informs it has to do with Cerberus and that it is true dick dastartly not generic one

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really pretty, voices will take some time to get used to. Shaggy is meh

Will watch it. The cartoon was my childhood I loved it so much