• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot more infos provided by SciresM (the fact that it's Mariko based for instance, or OLED-based) than what was reported in that thread.
It's the same info from the 10.0 firmware which has been known for months with the hacker inserting his own speculation. Here's his tweet clarifying
For perspective Switch is already on 11.0 firmware. it's been that long.

The actual source is saying it is speculation.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Honestly ERA, keep your expectations low and also wait until the Pro releases before passing judgement. I still believe the Pro exists and will probably bump the CPU and RAM, similar to how the 3DS to new 3DS bumped some specs. OLED screens would be nice, but knowing how Vita had burn issues, don't think Nintendo will allow that in the Switch Pro, for cost issues and LCD screens are cheaper. Still gonna buy it though because it'll be a better upgrade graphically too. The Mariko SoC won't be changed until Switch 2, which should have more bells and whistles in 2-3 years time. The Pro should be sufficient to get some last gen and current gen games ported for Nintendo.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that there's an upgraded tablet display for an OLED screen. Mariko based. Has "firmware support for some Realtek chip that advertises itself as a 4K UHD multimedia SoC".

those all all his speculation. AFAIK all the profiles on the firmware are based on existing chips, so I've ever argued for AULA being an overclocked Mariko based Pro.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't speculation. Please read the OP in its entirety.
I have, this was all a repost from the speculation thread.
And for the record, it's not me dismissing it as speculation, SciresM who is the source of those OP ports, himself said it is. read his tweet responding to Spawnwave commenting about the 4chan posts in the OP.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
How will games like Xenoblade Chronicles look like on an OLED with the added power? It's so blurry now.
There's no added power indicated in the firmware. That part is pure speculation.

The actual source is saying it is speculation.

It's pretty clearly indicated in the actual posts, as well, though I feel like he doesn't properly emphasize that there's no guarantee this device ever hits retail.
The fact that there's an upgraded tablet display for an OLED screen. Mariko based. Has "firmware support for some Realtek chip that advertises itself as a 4K UHD multimedia SoC".
We've known that it was Mariko with some weird dual display adapter thing going on the whole time. That's the main reason it's been largely dismissed up until now.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have, this was all a repost from the speculation thread.

Then you can clearly see the bits that are speculation:
I personally believe it's 4K given the signs I'm seeing in the firmware, but that's not confirmed yet and could be wrong.
That chip might be inside a new dock and not inside the tablet, though, there's no way to tell from the firmware code yet.

From those that aren't:
The new hardware is codenamed Aula, it's using a Mariko SoC. There's a bunch of references to it in code (atmosphere supports the new display already in theory).

The tablet itself definitely has an upgraded display [...] Checked my previous discussions with hexkyz, the upgraded tablet display is an OLED screen.

Aula has firmware support some Realtek chip that advertises itself as a "4K UHD multimedia SoC", too

It's basic reading.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
tenor.gif

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The screen being OLED and the Realtek SoC are the only bits that are new, and honestly neither make this look significantly less like an internal experiment.

Those are new bits of informations brought onto light, alongside reconfirmation of Mariko SoC, that are worth making a thread on since it could be actual hints at the upcoming Switch revision. Those bits aren't speculation, they're traces found within the firmware. Whether or not Aula is the revision, this we don't know, and SciresM certainly doesn't either.

The real important thing is that Nintendo is working on a hardware profile that uses an OLED screen, is Mariko-based and has Realtek 4K UHD support. Whether or not it's the pro, we don't know and won't until Nintendo confirms it. But it's possible, hence why it's discussed (because we have actual details on some technical aspects).

That's all. Not wasting more time on semantics. Or on this thread, since it doesn't generate good discussion anymore.

Last edited:

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait for some gaming outlets to jump the gun and outright say this is what the "pro" model will be.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
it's not gonna 4k, maybe it will output a 4k signal on the TV but u ain't getting a 4k portable screen or a machine capable of output native 4k resolution. C'mon ppl, that's never Nintendo's modus operandi.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Massive doubt, but please Nintendo. Release a refresh/spec bump already. I need it for MHRise and I refuse to buy that ancient hardware at this point :(

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Then you can clearly see the bits that are speculation:

From those that aren't:

It's basic reading.

His tweet on the 4K stuff you think isn't speculation. hint, it is.

Oh here's his comment on the screen stuff, which you think is OLED. he said it could also be Mini-LED

You're way invested in this particular leak being true in the way it was first reported/posted about, i think you've lost perspective.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OLED, yeah!
But 4K for such a small screen? What a waste of power and resources. Make it 1080p/1440p and enable 4K via dock or something.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

Also apparently the OLED bit is also speculation. Which makes sense, Mini LED not only makes a lot more sense for a handheld, but has actually been a technology that Nintendo has been rumored to be working with.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
His tweet on the 4K stuff you think isn't speculation. hint, it is.

Oh here's his comment on the screen stuff, which you think is OLED. he said it could also be Mini-LED

You're way invested in this particular leak being true in the way it was first reported/posted about, i think you've lost perspective.

Thanks for this.

It does appear like the only new info to come out of this is the reference to that Realtek chip. Everything else is speculation, regardless of how well informed.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this.

It does appear like the only new info to come out of this is the reference to that Realtek chip. Everything else is speculation, regardless of how well informed.
Yes and even that it could use 4K is speculation on the chip's supported capabilities, only known thing is the chip is there. What it's being used for is just speculation.
Of course if this AULA device is a non consumer TX1 based device for their theme park, then maybe it makes perfect sense to have it display 4K or do sometihng else.

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't the chip support 4K built into the System but the dock have nothing but an hdmi 2 port? Why would the dock need anything else?

I hope it's just a 4K HDR dock so I can just buy that, not the Pro, and play upscale 4K games in HDR like Xbox One S

Dec 21, 2020
>Mariko
>long battery life
>performance boost

This is rather contradictory

You can only have one or the other, not both at the same time if it is mariko.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and even that it could use 4K is speculation on the chip's supported capabilities, only known thing is the chip is there. What it's being used for is just speculation.
Of course if this AULA device is a non consumer TX1 based device for their theme park, then maybe it makes perfect sense to have it display 4K or do sometihng else.

I dunno if 4k makes sense for AR glasses, but to be honest I have no idea what kind of resolution that kind of tech needs.

I still think this is not anything that will be released in any form, just like Calcio and Copper.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if 4k makes sense for AR glasses, but to be honest I have no idea what kind of resolution that kind of tech needs.

I still think this is not anything that will be released in any form, just like Calcio and Copper.
This is the chip on their website that mentions 4K and was linked in the speculation thread.
It's just a general streaming set top box chip

RTD1395 - REALTEK

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'll be amazed if it's an OLED screen , the cost difference for Nintendo would be significant.

Not only that but the unit would I have to run significantly cooler than it does now to not damage its own display.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued to know what the price will be. Obviously the Switch is killing it in sales and has kept its price well but a more expensive pro model might not look reasonable next to the Series S price.
Nintendo probably doesn't much care about that though.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
This is the chip on their website that mentions 4K and was linked in the speculation thread.
It's just a general streaming set top box chip

RTD1395 - REALTEK

Yeah, whatever this goes in would have to be like the Wii U GamePad, where it's mostly tethered to the console, but could be used semi-independently. Who knows what that could be though.
I'll be amazed if it's an OLED screen , the cost difference for Nintendo would be significant.

Not only that but the unit would I have to run significantly cooler than it does now to not damage its own display.
It's been clarified that the OLED bit was speculation:

There's a pretty good chance this isn't going to turn into a real product anyway (at least not directly), but I suspect the recent rumors of Nintendo using Mini LED could be related to this.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
What I'd like from a new Switch: don't worry about making it more powerful, just make the screen work better with external light, this is a portable console that you can't use outside during the day. Fix the joycon issue for good and hey, if they make it water resistant so I can play in the pool and bathtub, even better.

More portability before more power!

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, if it's only a upclocked version of mariko I will be plenty disappointed, but it's 4chan so take it with a mountain of salt.
It's not upclocked, Aula has the same specs as the redbox model that is sold now, though we don't know it's form factor or if this device is going to be released to retail. There are a few other unknown Switch profiles that are not yet in public firmware, any of those could just as likely be the model we are expecting this year. They could even fit the leaks/rumors that have existed so far.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The Aula codename even came up in several threads here a few months ago.
The term Aula did not pop up until less than two weeks ago on December 28th, when SciresM pushed a commit to the Atmosphere code with support for it. Searching 'Aula' in Era won't give you any English results before that date.

Perhaps, but hexkyz (the guy who first tweeted about nx-abcd), who first put together that nx-abcb are likely simulation platforms*, is also confident this is consumer hardware. If it's not going to release, it's because something didn't work out, which is weird given that it's still being updated.

*I'm not suggesting he was the first to claim they won't release, but that he realized they were never even something experimentally developed as a potential consumer product; they exist to aid R&D and nothing more - if his speculation is correct, of course.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Setting aside it being speculation, would an OLED display really be that sensitive to temperature?
OLED displays are physically degraded by temperature and as we know a switch in a dock can get toasty - this would possibly make it a bad choice for a handheld.
The brightness will degrade faster for a display type which is already typically less bright than even a cheap LED and this is going to be one of the key considerations for a handheld device , just like it is for a laptop or phone.

This is actually one of the barriers for OLEDs being used at scale for automotive uses- you need very bright diplays so you can see instruments in bright daylight- but also you need a display that can withstand the interior heat of a car parked in summer- whilst providing a useable long life.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The term Aula did not pop up until less than two weeks ago on December 28th, when SciresM pushed a commit to the Atmosphere code with support for it. Searching 'Aula' in Era won't give you any English results before that date.

Perhaps, but hexkyz (the guy who first tweeted about nx-abcd), who first put together that nx-abcb are likely simulation platforms*, is also confident this is consumer hardware. If it's not going to release, it's because something didn't work out, which is weird given that it's still being updated.

*I'm not suggesting he was the first to claim they won't release, but that he realized they were never even something experimentally developed as a potential consumer product; they exist to aid R&D and nothing more - if his speculation is correct, of course.
A piece of hardware containing an entire separate SoC shoved somewhere sounds like the kind of thing that would be pretty hard to test without actually building a full prototype.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

IIRC the person who first mentioned the Aula code name here deleted most if not all of their posts. It may have been more recent than a few months but I thought it was further back than just two weeks.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
4k screen on a tablet+ gaming on it= probs not even an hour of battery life.

I think it'll be full hd at max if they have upped the res.

Status
Not open for further replies.