• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
scitechdaily.com

66 Million Years of Earth’s Climate History Uncovered – Puts Current Changes in Context

A continuous record of the past 66 million years shows natural climate variability due to changes in Earth's orbit around the sun is much smaller than projected future warming due to greenhouse gas emissions. For the first time, climate scientists have compiled a continuous, high-fidelity record

Past-and-Future-Global-Temperature-Trends-scaled.jpg

For the first time, climate scientists have compiled a continuous, high-fidelity record of variations in Earth's climate extending 66 million years into the past. The record reveals four distinctive climate states, which the researchers dubbed Hothouse, Warmhouse, Coolhouse, and Icehouse.

The new findings, published today (September 10, 2020 in the journal Science, are the result of decades of work and a large international collaboration. The challenge was to determine past climate variations on a time scale fine enough to see the variability attributable to orbital variations (in the eccentricity of Earth's orbit around the sun and the precession and tilt of its rotational axis).

"As we reconstructed past climates, we could see long-term coarse changes quite well. We also knew there should be finer-scale rhythmic variability due to orbital variations, but for a long time it was considered impossible to recover that signal," Zachos said. "Now that we have succeeded in capturing the natural climate variability, we can see that the projected anthropogenic warming will be much greater than that."

For the past 3 million years, Earth's climate has been in an Icehouse state characterized by alternating glacial and interglacial periods. Modern humans evolved during this time, but greenhouse gas emissions and other human activities are now driving the planet toward the Warmhouse and Hothouse climate states not seen since the Eocene epoch, which ended about 34 million years ago. During the early Eocene, there were no polar ice caps, and average global temperatures were 9 to 14 degrees Celsius higher than today.

Now that they have compiled a continuous, astronomically dated climate record of the past 66 million years, the researchers can see that the climate's response to orbital variations depends on factors such as greenhouse gas levels and the extent of polar ice sheets.

"In an extreme greenhouse world with no ice, there won't be any feedbacks involving the ice sheets, and that changes the dynamics of the climate," Zachos explained.

The new climate record provides a valuable framework for many areas of research, he added. It is not only useful for testing climate models, but also for geophysicists studying different aspects of Earth dynamics and paleontologists studying how changing environments drive the evolution of species.

"It's a significant advance in Earth science, and a major legacy of the international Ocean Drilling Program," Zachos said.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
There are fossil forests of giant trees in the arctic and antarctic. It's fascinating, but I'd rather we don't go that route of warmer climates with that sea-level rise likely displacing billions of people around the world.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I really, truly struggle with even caring about climate change when I see shit like this. Like, when I know that it's beyond hopeless to fix things, I just want to say fuck it and try to have everyone live their best lives now as they can and stop worrying. Just don't have children.

I seriously do. It makes me want to seek therapy.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would really just be a desert.

Keep in mind the time scales. Life had a fuck of a lot more time to adapt to those historical temperature changes. Between general human activity and the scale things are heating up, we'd really just go for desert wasteland.
There would be some green and habitable areas.

Humanity would survive...in some form.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, it looks like there was a pretty severe warming period between the pleistocene and the holocene. I didn't know about that (or rather, I did, but not how rapidly it seems to have happened). Looking it up, it happened in 40 years, caused a bunch of extinctions and forced humans to rapidly adapt to new ways of living.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
There would be some green and habitable areas.

Humanity would survive...in some form.
I'm not saying no greenery would exist. I'm just saying a "massive jungle" isn't going to spring into existence, because there won't be time for one to evolve, and any new growth of relevant scale isn't really going to occur anyway because humanity generally isn't going to allow that level of reclamation, rather the opposite.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I'm not saying no greenery would exist. I'm just saying a "massive jungle" isn't going to spring into existence, because there won't be time for one to evolve, and any new growth of relevant scale isn't really going to occur anyway because humanity generally isn't going to allow that level of reclamation, rather the opposite.
If it gets hot enough for a hot-house, I'm figuring that there would still be some kind of plant life.

I looked up the eocene era, and there appeared to be life on earth with dinos.

That's why asked the banal question about Pangea.

The poles would be the most habitable, but over time and fewer humans there may be more resilient plants that grow.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Crazy how quickly we are fucking up the planet. Really hoping we fuck off before we can do any more damage to earth. She'll heal eventually without us fucking it up.