• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
www.cnn.com

What we know about what it's like to recover from Covid-19 and its long-term effects | CNN

More than 35 million people around the world have tested positive for the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
Some people who get Covid-19 will have problems for months. Thirty-five percent of patients surveyed by the CDC said they still weren't back to their usual good health even two to three weeks after testing positive for the disease.
These long haulers might have damage to their blood vessels, according to one doctor who is researching the long-term effects.

"We think that this long-term damage may in part be due to vascular damage, kind of a footprint that the virus leaves even when it's gone from the body," Dr. William Li told CNN.

Shelby Hedgecock, a former personal trainer, has problems that have lingered since April when she tested positive. Though she tested negative in May, she told CNN last month that she is still having neurological issues, cognitive issues, shortness of breath, chest pain, loss of smell and body aches and pains that send her to her bed for days.
Hedgecock's experience is not unique, Li said. His team is looking to connect the symptoms with data pointing to the virus not just affecting the lungs but the blood vessels that connect the whole body, the doctor said.

Cool cool cool. Sorry to those of you unlucky enough to get hit that bad or worse in this year's Hunger Games, but capital needs its bodies.

Shelby Hedgecock is a 29 year old former trainer with no former preexisting conditions, and rona screwed up her heart. Now she has to worry about heart attacks probably for the rest of her life.

If even only 1 out of a 100,000 folks under 40 suffer from that, it's too many to even attempt to have folks out there getting sick. Plus those sick youngsters are going to inevitably kill off who knows how many of the older even if most stick to their self quarantines.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to be a scientist to know that these scientists are really stupid.

I feel like if you pulled the mask off these scientists you'd just discover that real author was old man GOP.

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya has worked at the Hoover institution (a conservative think tank, whose director is Condoleezza Rice). He's still doing appearances for them which makes me wonder how impartial he is.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Not putting my life and my future health on the line because my incompetent government couldn't act. "You'll *probably* not suffer any severe illness" is not good enough. They can shove their declaration up their butt. And how many twenty something millennials still live with their boomer parents, and how many are overweight, smoke etc? This is the worst idea ever.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The risk is incredibly low of fatality for anyone without pre-existing conditions under 50.

But I just don't know how you isolate everyone considered "high risk" till you can achieve herd immunity.

In New York City around 30k people died from the 470k confirmed cases. Is that incredibly low to you?

The risk for permanent issues afterwards is real (in my case, both me and my wife have loss of smell/taste after recovering).

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this completely ignore the fact that other countries have gotten it mostly under control by NOT doing this? It's just so weird that we seem to have multiple models of success, yet this group of scientists is still looking to extreme, dangerous solutions that HAVEN'T been proven to work.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Fuck that noise. I already have hypertension and arrythmia issues. Don't need more problems.

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the worst idea you could come up with. Based on how much we don't know about COVID immunity, this is unbelievably dangerous and those researchers should be ashamed of themselves

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah... if you think I'm gonna be cool with going about my day like normal and potentially infecting my mother. No.

Dec 12, 2017
If anyone is interested to hear other expert reactions to this declaration: https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/...lockdown-policies-and-for-focused-protection/
Yup, this is why I hate the politicization of this fucking virus. People are making sensationalized emotional statements without reading the articles or dissent.

Scientists who agree with my views: they're the experts and we need to listen to them

Sciebtisi who don't: They're fucking idiots and I'm smarter than them.

This is NOT a black and white discussion. And the dissenting scientists statements prove it.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm sure if anyone looks further into this the scientists calling for this are probably all fringe whackjobs. We have no idea how long significant covid immunity lasts, nor the potential for long-term damage. I have a friend in her 20s who had a horrible bout with covid a few months ago and was told that she likely has permanent lung damage.
To be fair we don't know the potential long term damage of our current path either. It's all speculation.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I would have prefered decisive, pre-emptive action than the reactive cycle of shutting things down when things get too bad and then getting lax the second things look better, personally.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Yup, this is why I hate the politicization of this fucking virus. People are making sensationalized emotional statements without reading the articles or dissent.

Scientists who agree with my views: they're the experts and we need to listen to them

This is NOT a black and white discussion. And the dissenting scientists statements prove it.
There's no expert that can guarantee the safety of this strategy. And giving an opinion doesn't carry the same accountability as making policy. So the decision makers would be better off ignoring the experts supporting any type of herd immunity strategy because it's far easier to make amends for lost opportunities than for lost lives.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
... I'm so conflicted.
They're scientists, so I'm supposed to trust them... but they're saying stuff I disagree with... 😦

There's a difference between "a scientist" or even "scientists" saying something, and "scientific consensus" saying something.

Sort of like your local small town preacher might shout about how God sent him a vision saying everyone should put snakes up their butt, but that doesn't mean that's the new Christian dogma. These stooges are the snake-butt preachers of the scientific world.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
This sure sounds a lot like the idea that we should sacrifice some grandmas to save the economy, only this time it's for the "greater good", medically speaking. It's still about sacrificing some number of elderly and at risk people, of course. Just, you know, this time we're pretending it's not about money.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You don't always have to listen to scientist, specially when they are in the fringe of their field. That goes for any professional. For instance, these two are "doctors", but you should never, ever listen to them.
2.png

Rand_Paul%2C_official_portrait%2C_112th_Congress_alternate.jpg

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Let young people put parents and grandparents at risk, not to mention themselves due to long term effects due to covid, and hope immunity happens even though there's been reports of people getting reinfected. What a great plan.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
enjoy your lifelong health complications, children!! Hope you didn't want a good life.

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Spreading Misinformation and Dismissing Concerns on the Effects of the Pandemic; Prior Ban for Spreading Misinformation. Account in Junior Phase.
Nice to see more scientist who dare to speak up.
People are really stuck in their bubbles because of politics when it comes to this pandemic.
You don't have to agree with theese scientists but maybe they have a point. How many people will die and get long time effects because of lockdowns?
I recomend whatching interviews done by Unherd.com on youtube. Lots of experts all over the spectrum to get some more perspectives.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
People are really stuck in their bubbles because of politics when it comes to this pandemic.
You don't have to agree with theese scientists but maybe they have a point. How many people will die and get long time effects because of lockdowns?
I recomend whatching interviews done by Unherd.com on youtube. Lots of experts all over the spectrum to get some more perspectives.

Wtf. Dude, people that get it and survive show terrible long lasting effects, let alone the fact that there is a none zero % of these young people that will die.

Also, unherd is some shit site started by right wing journalist.

Last edited:

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, the old place was the other way.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017

There's also a danger in focusing too much on the opinions of the small minority. It's why antivax is a thing. Uneducated people looking for different perspectives find the 1 study that is counter to thousands and run with it. Climate change? Same deal.

So until 90% of doctors are on board with this theory, my suggestion is steer clear. In this era misinformation is a pandemic.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Horseshit. You only care what they have to say because it's what you wanted to hear.

A number of people getting your mysterious, potential lockdown effects isn't fucking comparable to a disease that we know for a fact will cull ~3% of the population plus many more with serious illnesses. Hell, you don't even really need lockdowns if the population are actually sensible and follow other control methods: Germany is pretty much open in terms of services as before but with mask restrictions and limits on big gatherings, work from home where possible, and required quarantines from covid hotspots. It remains to be seen what happens in winter still, but nobody knows that yet.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I am sure it would be great for my daughter's long term mental health if she got mild covid to do her part to boost herd immunity and brought it home to me, her mother who has at least two immune disorders, and I either became a long hauler or died.

This is why I work from home and she is in online school this year.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it if your kids, your niece and nephews all get it first to lead the way.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
So despite what MOST scientists say, A FEW scientists pop up with some clearly terrible advice and its broadcast far and wide to encourage idiots to endanger lives. ffs

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i'd choose mental health damage over covid every fuckin day
whack ass fuckers