• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Came into this thread expecting it to be from a chinese researcher, did not leave surprised. China really needs to up it's ethics game when it comes to research, I feel like this type of stuff is coming from them far too often (which is not to say they don't do plenty of genuinely great research as well to be clear)

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
D5dIDkc.jpg

Dec 31, 2017
I don't think the point of this is to make "human smartened monkeys" for slave labor; it's an experimental model. The ethics of this are still morally complex, but let's not jump the gun here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the point of this is to make "human smartened monkeys" for slave labor; it's an experimental model. The ethics of this are still morally complex, but let's not jump the gun here.
Yeah, I feel like a lot of the weird unethical research from China including this isn't coming from a bad or malicious place, it's just a bit shortsighted and they probably didn't stop to even think of the ethical implications too hard, which is probably on a higher education system that doesn't stress ethical and responsible research in the same way most western countries do, plus a government more willing to approve of such projects

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, there's a "zoo" in China that lets you throw live chickens whose legs are tied by a rope to tigers in a pen below. Then you pull the rope up and there's usually a drumstick left attached.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
How many times do we have to go over this, science fiction stays science fiction, its not a handbook of how to end the world. Slow the fuck down.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How many times do we have to go over this, science fiction stays science fiction, its not a handbook of how to end the world. Slow the fuck down.
I mean this is more an animal cruelty situation than an actual threat to humans. Because lets be real, if it looked like the monkeys were actually getting smart enough to be a threat (which is highly unlikely in the first place), we'd just slaughter them which would be easy since it's an isolated and well documented group in a laboratory setting

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
And people say they want communism. If it brings intelligent killer then no thanks.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget to teach them how to use a gun and vape.

I also hope they're eating all the remains of the monkeys that they most assuredly have killed in the process of such a miracle.

Last edited:

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I realize it's a bit of "who gives a shit what you think", but I can't fucking stand when the title of your article tells the reader how to feel about about what the article is about.

I know this is Vox (the also-ran Wired) but it's always triggering to me.

Have some fucking respect for your reading audience. This topic is dense enough (more than you're capable of reporting on), and interesting enough for just about any human being that you don't have to treat the subject as if it's a thought-piece on whether gluten allergy is a real thing or not.

(this isn't any great addition to the conversation, and probably just a case of my irritation at contemporary style-guides for outlets whose whole thing is to "explain complicated things" to joe schmoe).

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is crazy. The next step is doing the reverse. We'll get some Batman Beyond shit.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't sound that bad. As someone mentioned, the article makes it seem like they're trying to advance brain growth specifically for testing how far they will make it.

It seems that they're doing it to figure out why the human brain has advanced so much further.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
A single gene? As long as they're only doing one gene at a time I don't think that's too terrible. IIRC there are over 200 genes that have been linked to intelligence.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racism. Long history of infractions for trolling and inflammatory behaviour.
What should the world do about the Chinese?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I do think care should be taken with primate studies in general, but the article title is on the side of fear-mongering.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it feel like China is gonna create some kind of horrific end of the world scenario lol

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Generalizations; Fearmongering
Chinese dont care about rules. They are gonna be very dangerous in the future.

Yeah, when you don't care about ethics, you can go super far. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past them to secretly use humans for testing.

They are probably thinking Fuck it, they were gonna be executed anyways. Why not infect them with some super virus and see what happens?

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Wonder what we'll get first

Terminator or Planet of the Apes

Holdup I might have just given hollywood the next big hack franchise/crossover...