• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Scientists in China have created a new kind of monkey. It's got a human brain gene. And that just might make its intelligence a little bit more like ours. That, in turn, makes its fate — and its very existence — very ethically fraught.

In a study published last month in Beijing's National Science Review journal, researchers took human copies of the MCPH1 gene, which is believed to play an important role in our brain development, and introduced it into monkey embryos by means of a virus that carried the gene.

Of the 11 transgenic macaque monkeys they generated, six died. The five survivors went through a series of tests, including MRI brain scans and memory tests. It turned out they didn't have bigger brains than a control group of macaques, but they did perform better on short-term memory tasks. Their brains also developed over a longer period of time, which is typical of human brains.

Although the sample size was very small, the scientists excitedly described the study as "the first attempt to experimentally interrogate the genetic basis of human brain origin using a transgenic monkey model." In other words, part of the point of the study was to help tackle a question about evolution: How did we humans develop our unique brand of intelligence, which has allowed us to innovate in ways other primates can't?

Changing monkeys' behavior and intelligence raises major ethical issues

If you make primates smarter and more human-like, you're not doing them any favors — not least if you're going to then keep them locked up in a lab. In the words of University of Colorado bioethicist Jacqueline Glover, "To humanize them is to cause harm. Where would they live and what would they do? Do not create a being that can't have a meaningful life in any context."

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/4/12/18306867/china-genetics-monkey-brain-intelligence

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory generalisations; fearmongering.
Chinese dont care about rules. They are gonna be very dangerous in the future.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know what the Chinese Communist Party is doing these days.

What possible benefit to the world does this bring.

Why violate every moral code doing this.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
CorneliusAtRestGif.gif

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The Chinese government has no moral ethics. I guess this is interesting, but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should..

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Monkeys deserve to take over the world and we're gonna deserve evertyhing they're gonna do to us.

Dec 22, 2017
The backbone of our future economy will be a fleet of monkey drone factory and office workers.

(Actually was the premise of a comic strip I attempted to get syndicated a decade ago)

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
There's that quote that if there was an "END OF THE WORLD" switch hidden in some cave somewhere, the paint wouldn't even dry before someone would pull it.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
We can have these "human smartened" monkeys in dangerous locations where we wouldn't put humans, like for space travel or in the depths of the oceans.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if they're creating an army of them? Holy shit. It must be a conspiracy like in the X-Files... Roswell style! This little monkey could be the fuckin' damn dirty ape responsible for the fall of the human race. In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey — the monkey will spank us. And after the fall of man, these monkey fucks'll start wearing our clothes and rebuilding the world in their image. Oh, and only those as super-smart as me will be left alive to bitterly cry "You maniacs! Damn yous! Goddamn yous all to hell!"

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
We can have these "human smartened" monkeys in dangerous locations where we wouldn't put humans, like for space travel or in the depths of the oceans.

are you serious? it's fucked up.

this post sounds like "let me put this monkey in the microwave oven for 2 minutes, just to perfom an experiment"

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019

this post sounds like "let me put this monkey in the microwave oven for 2 minutes, just to perfom an experiment"
I'm not saying I would approve of such a thing. I'm just imagining the potential uses of these "improved" monkeys.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did the new Planet of the Apes trilogy not make it to Chinese cinemas? Because this is exactly what it sounds like. It starts with this, and ends with Woody Harrelson yelling at monkeys.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

we can train them to use weapons and vehicles and they can fight in place of our American boys.
those monkeys can save lives! and eventually turn against us and enslave us with our own technology!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'll start filling plastic bags with metal cans now

Px0Y.gif

because this is how you get rage infected monkey virus.