• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.wired.com

Scientists Accidentally Discover Strange Creatures Under a Half Mile of Ice

Researchers only drilled through an Antarctic ice shelf to sample sediment. Instead, they found animals that weren't supposed to be there.

Science_20.01.16_FSW2_Image03.jpg

BIVOUACKED IN THE middle of the Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf—a five-hour flight from the nearest Antarctic station—nothing comes easy. Even though it was the southern summer, geologist James Smith of the British Antarctic Survey endured nearly three months of freezing temperatures, sleeping in a tent, and eating dehydrated food. The science itself was a hassle: To study the history of the floating shelf, he needed seafloor sediment, which was locked under a half mile of ice.

To get to it, Smith and his colleagues had to melt 20 tons of snow to create 20,000 liters of hot water, which they then pumped through a pipe lowered down a borehole. It took them 20 hours to melt through the ice inch by inch, finally piercing through the shelf.

Later that night in his tent, Smith watched the footage, and recognized a rather glaring problem. The video shows a descent through 3,000 feet of blue-green ice, which suddenly terminates, opening up into dark seawater. The camera coasts another 1,600 feet until the seafloor finally comes into view—mostly light-colored sediment, which Smith was after, but also something dark. That dark thing turned out to be a rock, which the camera hits with a thud, tumbling face-down into the sediment. The camera quickly rights itself and scans the rock, revealing something the geologists hadn't been after at all. In fact, it was something highly improbable: life.

Wrong place for collecting seafloor muck, but the absolute right place for a one-in-a-million shot at finding life in an environment that scientists didn't reckon could support much of it. Smith is no biologist, but his colleague, Huw Griffiths of the British Antarctic Survey, is. When Griffiths watched the footage back in the UK, he noticed a kind of film on the rock, likely a layer of bacteria known as a microbial mat. An alien-like sponge and other stalked animals dangled from the rock, while stouter, cylindrical sponges hugged the surface. The rock was also lined with wispy filaments, perhaps a component of the bacterial mats, or perhaps a peculiar animal known as a hydroid.

The rock Smith had accidentally discovered is 160 miles from daylight—that is, the nearest edge of the shelf, where ice ends and the open ocean begins. It's hundreds of miles from the nearest location that might be a source of food—a spot that would have enough sunlight to fuel an ecosystem, and be in the right position relative to the rock for known currents to supply these creatures with sustenance.

Science_Life.jpg

We can say for certain that these animals are living in total darkness, which is fine—plenty of deep-sea critters do the same. But animals that live sessile (read: stuck in place) existences on the deep sea floor must rely on a fairly steady supply of food in the form of "marine snow." Every living thing swimming in the water column above must one day die, and when they do, they sink to the depths. As the corpses descend and decompose, other creatures pick at them and fling off particles, tiny morsels that accumulate even on the deepest of seafloors. (When a whale dies and sinks, by the way, it's epically known as a "whale fall.")

But the Antarctic critters on this particular rock don't live under a bustling water column. They live under a half-mile of solid ice. And they can't roam away from their rock in search of food. "The worst thing in a place where there's not much food, and it's very sporadic, is to be something that's glued to the spot," says Griffiths. So how on Earth could they be getting sustenance?

Science-map.jpg

As that water pushes outward, something has to fill the void. "There's going to be some inflow to replace that," Mooi adds. "And that inflow, even over hundreds of kilometers, is going to carry organic matter." For our lifeforms stuck on that boulder, this would bring food. The currents could also bring new animals to add to the population on the rock.

But because the researchers couldn't collect specimens, they can't yet say what exactly these sponges and other critters could be eating. Some sponges filter organic detritus from the water, whereas others are carnivorous, feasting on tiny animals. "That would be sort of your headline of the year," says Christopher Mah, a marine biologist at the Smithsonian, who wasn't involved in the research. "Killer Sponges, Living in the Dark, Cold Recesses of Antarctica, Where No Life Can Survive."

The researchers also can't say whether this rock is an aberration, or if such ecosystems are actually common under the ice. Maybe the geologists didn't just get extremely lucky when they dropped their camera onto the rock—maybe these animal communities are a regular feature of the seafloor beneath Antarctica's ice shelves. There'd certainly be a lot of room for such ecosystems: These floating ice shelves stretch for 560,000 square miles. Yet, through previous boreholes, scientists have only explored an area underneath them equal to the size of a tennis court. So it may well be that they're out there in numbers, and we just haven't found them yet.

And we may be running out of time to do so. This rock may be locked away under a half mile of ice, but that ice is increasingly imperiled on a warming planet. "There is a potential that some of these big ice shelves in the future could collapse," says Griffiths, "and we could lose a unique ecosystem."

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo ain't this how Devilman started

(Bless these folks for finding something new about the world every day)

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
This is the exact kind of reason we should really amp up our search for extraterrestrial life in our solar system.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be let alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
life here doesn't mean life there, but i find it even more believable now that there might be life on europa

Oct 27, 2017
The are feeding on the sludge that leaked from the sewage system from the aliens that live under the poles

The recycling plants have a 99.89% efficiency so the round off has to go somewhere /s

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I like looking at arctic horror quotes and imagining these are quotes from the actual scientists involved in this story. Like:

What we did see—for the mists were indeed all too malignly thinned—was something altogether different, and immeasurably more hideous and detestable. It was the utter, objective embodiment of the fantastic novelist's "thing that should not be".

It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be let alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
1. The video footage was really cool

2. This made me sad:

And we may be running out of time to do so. This rock may be locked away under a half mile of ice, but that ice is increasingly imperiled on a warming planet. "There is a potential that some of these big ice shelves in the future could collapse," says Griffiths, "and we could lose a unique ecosystem."

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, think we should be poking at this stuff more, and not less.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This story makes it pretty obvious we are going to find microbial life on other planets. It just seems like life evolves in every ecosystem.

I hated this book. The ecosystem of that island would have violated the laws of thermodynamics with how quickly everything grew. I did like the mantis shrimp stuff though, motivated me to read up on them.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder is this possible because of the relatively rare property of ice being less dense than its liquid form

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This story makes it pretty obvious we are going to find microbial life on other planets. It just seems like life evolves in every ecosystem.

I hated this book. The ecosystem of that island would have violated the laws of thermodynamics with how quickly everything grew. I did like the mantis shrimp stuff though, motivated me to read up on them.
Life finds a way, did you read the sequel?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
This is the exact kind of reason we should really amp up our search for extraterrestrial life in our solar system.
"We found some new life on earth and there are lots of places we haven't explored. The world is still full of discovery! We barely understand this planet we live on."

"Neat but what about other planets"

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
"We found some new life on earth and there are lots of places we haven't explored. The world is still full of discovery! We barely understand this planet we live on."

"Neat but what about other planets"
"Hey guys I don't have anything of substance to say, but I still feel compelled to create discourse so I can feel ahead of the curve. Let me pick this random comment, misrepresent it, and mock it. Am I cool now?"

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

But I wanna see more crazy deep water fishies!!!