• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
A Japanese university professor could face up to 10 years in prison after allegedly teaching his students how to produce MDMA to "further their knowledge" of pharmaceuticals, according to reports.

Tatsunori Iwamura, 61, has been likened to Walter White, the fictional chemistry teacher in the cult TV series Breaking Bad who starts manufacturing crystal meth after being diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer.

Iwamura, a professor at Matsuyama University in Ehime prefecture, has reportedly admitted getting students in his pharmaceutical science class to make MDMA – commonly known as ecstasy – along with the "designer drug" 5F-QUPIC, in 2013.

Japanese law requires researchers to obtain a licence from regional authorities to manufacture illegal drugs for academic purposes.

The Kyodo news agency quoted unnamed sources as saying that Iwamura had a license issued by a local government outside Ehime but it had expired.

Local drug enforcement authorities believe 11 students produced the drug under Iwamura's instruction. Four students, along with an assistant professor, have also been referred to prosecutors, Kyodo said.

The university said it would discipline Iwamura and the assistant professor once the investigation had ended.

"We sincerely apologise for causing serious concern to students and their parents," said Tatsuya Mizogami, the university's president, according to Kyodo.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...sor-allegedly-taught-students-to-make-ecstasy

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Which Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio game is getting pulled off the shelves over this blunder?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I mean they didn't sell it or produce it on large scale so I don't see the problem.
We're talking about university here, not high school chemistry. It's not unusual to produce substrates like this in organic chemistry.
Professor is to blame for not paying attention to the legal requirements but it's not like he's Walter White now

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory generalizations about another country
guess that's a Japanese thing. my ochem professor taught us the basic idea for synthesizing many drugs including LSD and meth. Illicit drugs were the subject of retrosynthesis exercises as well, I'm pretty sure these kinds of problems were standard excercises that could be found in any ochem textbook. probably especially in a textbook made for an undergrad class such as Drugs and Toxins, which I think most schools have

the basic outlines of synthesis of countless illicit drugs can be found on Wikipedia, or any university library. Moreover, a motivated chemistry undergrad could work out retrosyntheses for practically any popular (or not) illicit drug, they generally aren't that complicated or uneducated traffickers wouldn't be able to cook them

tldr any student advanced enough to be taking a "pharmaceutical science class" would probably have already realized that most illicit drugs are only a hop and a skip away from stuff they have been synthesizing since freshman year

mtldr japan is batshit

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
e400a1b3a8b23fa24370e06c1c4c3d55.jpg

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
guess that's a Japanese thing. my ochem professor taught us the basic idea for synthesizing many drugs including LSD and meth. Illicit drugs were the subject of retrosynthesis exercises as well, I'm pretty sure these kinds of problems were standard excercises that could be found in any ochem textbook. probably especially in a textbook made for an undergrad class such as Drugs and Toxins, which I think most schools have

the basic outlines of synthesis of countless illicit drugs can be found on Wikipedia, or any university library. Moreover, a motivated chemistry undergrad could work out retrosyntheses for practically any popular (or not) illicit drug, they generally aren't that complicated or uneducated traffickers wouldn't be able to cook them

tldr any student advanced enough to be taking a "pharmaceutical science class" would probably have already realized that most illicit drugs are only a hop and a skip away from stuff they have been synthesizing since freshman year

mtldr japan is batshit
Big difference between teaching them the science behind it and having them do it, which the article quote in the OP states he did.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the article said he had a license to do this but it expired, which kind of feels more like he just forgot to renew it and went on with business as usual?

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017

mtldr japan is batshit
ochem? What's that?