• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Until August 30, the PBS documentary Worlds of Ursula K. Le Guin, directed by Arwen Curry, is free to watch!

USA Link: https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/worlds-of-ursula-k-le-guin-full-film/11632/
UK Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bh0x

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find links for any other country. If you do find (legal) streams available elsewhere, please let me know and I'll add them here.

TOR's Description:
TOR said:
The hour-long documentary is a deep dive into Le Guin's career, interviewing not only her, but other authors like Margaret Atwood, Michael Chabon, Neil Gaiman, and David Mitchell. The documentary premiered in 2018, and is part of the American Masters series, a long-running PBS franchise that examines the works of the nation's most influential artists and creators.

I'll be seeing it for the first time these weekend so I can't speak to its quality, but I wanted to give folks a heads up.

Ursula K. Le Guin needs no introduction for her fans, but for those that do need an introduction, I want to convince you to take a look at her work. She is a literary giant in science fiction and fantasy, and yet, she hasn't broken into the mainstream the way other (male) authors of her generation have.

If you've ever thought that science fiction and fantasy never quite delivered on its promises of imagining other ways of living, never moved beyond worlds that were predominately white and male, then Le Guin's works are for you.

And even if you've never thought that about the two genres, you should still definitely check her out. There is plenty to enjoy in the staggering amount of work she left behind during almost six decades of writing.

Her themes include humanism, environmentalism, feminism, and anticaptialism. She was one of the first American fantasy and sci-fi writers to center people of color and queer protagonists in her work. Unlike many of the white authors working in the genre, particularly during her time, Le Guin never considered a default of race, gender, or sexuality. Her stories are truly diverse in character, theme, and setting.

Below, I've highlighted arguably her most famous works. Maybe if there's enough traction in the thread, I'll post about some of her less known stuff that I've really enjoyed, particularly her short story collections which are on par (or even better) than her novels.

The Earthsea Books
sWL3xvW.png

A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, Tehnanu, Tales from Earthsea, and The Other Wind

Synopsis of A Wizard of Earthsea (from Goodreads): Ged, the greatest sorcerer in all Earthsea, was called Sparrowhawk in his reckless youth. Hungry for power and knowledge, Sparrowhawk tampered with long-held secrets and loosed a terrible shadow upon the world. This is the tale of his testing, how he mastered the mighty words of power, tamed an ancient dragon, and crossed death's threshold to restore the balance.

Image from the dust cover of The Books of Earthsea: The Complete Illustrated Edition, illustrated by Charles Vess.

The Left Hand of Darkness
WBAyhIR.png

Synopsis (from Goodreads): A groundbreaking work of science fiction, The Left Hand of Darkness tells the story of a lone human emissary to Winter, an alien world whose inhabitants can choose - and change - their gender. His goal is to facilitate Winter's inclusion in a growing intergalactic civilization. But to do so he must bridge the gulf between his own views and those of the completely dissimilar culture that he encounters.

From How The Left Hand of Darkness Changed Everything by Becky Chambers:
Becky Chambers said:
Rereading Genly's story amid the complex gender discussion taking place here in 2018 is a reflective experience, and if this is your first time visiting Gethen, and if you are of my generation or younger, you may not struggle as our Terran protagonist does. After all, you're already familiar with ideas such as gender-fluidity and neutral pronouns. These concepts may apply to you yourself. But these had little visibility in 1969... Remember always, when reading this book, that we, like Genly, are time-jumping. Remember that the con- versation was different then. Remember that the conversation was altered by this book.

Image from Folio Society's illustrated edition, illustrated by David Lupton

The Dispossessed
lRVMcIq.png

Synposis (from Goodreads): Shevek, a brilliant physicist, decides to take action. He will seek answers, question the unquestionable, and attempt to tear down the walls of hatred that have isolated his planet of anarchists from the rest of the civilized universe. To do this dangerous task will mean giving up his family and possibly his life—Shevek must make the unprecedented journey to the utopian mother planet, Urras, to challenge the complex structures of life and living, and ignite the fires of change.

Image from Folio Society's illustrated edition, illustrated by David Lupton

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cheers for the heads up, big fan of Le Guin. Left Hand of Darkness was a hugely influential novel on me as a teenager.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is what I saw on BBC early this year or maybe last year, it was pretty good, though not earth shattering in any way. It did have good animated sequences throughout and talking heads Interviews with contemporary writers like Atwood, Chabon and Gaiman from what I can recall.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for letting us know about this! Need to watch this as I completely adore Le Guin. Earthsea books are probably my single favorite fantasy book series. <3

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
The documentary is a very nice introduction to Le Guin and her work. She really is one of the most important American authors of the past century.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Cool. She is an author I definitely need to read more of. It's just too bad that I haven't been reading much in English for the last few years.

OP
OP
Pau

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that today is the last day to watch this for free!

Also there's got to be more Le Guin fans on ResetEra than this. ;-;

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
One of my faves, thanks. I'll have to check this out.

She also has a really great english translation of the Tao Te Ching, for those who are into that kind of thing.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Never read her books so will soon but have heard plenty of praise and impact her work has had. In UK, so will watch. Thanks Pau !

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I'd agree she hasn't "broken out" like other sci-fi authors of her vintage. Really her "problem" is that a lot of her work wouldn't lend themselves to adaptation nearly as easily, and at this point people like Philip K Dick feel like they're better known for the million adaptations rather than the original work. Hopefully that Earthsea television series will do the world justice.

I think I got Tombs of Atuan as one of those Scholastic "get a bunch of books each school year" things, and it definitely stood out. I should get around to reading the remaining books I haven't gotten to in her bibliography. Watching the doc, American Masters does some good programming.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Tombs of Atuan is one of my favorite books, along with The Lathe of Haven (which I highly recommend). She's become one of my favorite authors, stoked to know there's a great documentary. Thanks for sharing!

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved all her books when I was a teen and early 20-something. I had no idea she was gay at the time of reading them - maybe I did? I guess it made sense for me to be drawn to her material.

That 2004 miniseries with Shawn Ashmore was pretty awful, I remember. Thanks for posting the links, I might watch this tonight.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
Ursula K. Le Guin is one my favorite authors. Thanks for letting me know about this.

OP
OP
Pau

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the documentary with my partner. Definitely some tears. I really enjoyed it and thought they did a good job of covering the most important stuff, but damn do I wish this was a series. For example, I think a whole hour episode could be devoted to gender in Earthsea. Her work is just so rich. And I love hearing people talk about it.

I was a little sad about the lack of diversity in the authors they interviewed. Glad to see Delany at least. I was lucky enough to go to an event for the first year anniversary of her death which had a lot of the same authors talk about and read her work, but it also included N.K. Jemisin and others.

I would also love to see the full interviews if anything was cut. Like I said, I can't get enough of hearing people talk about her work. Does anyone recommend any podcasts discussing her stuff?

Never read any of her works, this thread got me to order A Wizard of Earthsea
Never read her books so will soon but have heard plenty of praise and impact her work has had. In UK, so will watch. Thanks Pau !
A Wizard of Earthsea is next on my reading list, been looking forward to it.
Yay! So happy to see more people picking up her work. Let us know what you think. :D

I dunno if I'd agree she hasn't "broken out" like other sci-fi authors of her vintage. Really her "problem" is that a lot of her work wouldn't lend themselves to adaptation nearly as easily, and at this point people like Philip K Dick feel like they're better known for the million adaptations rather than the original work. Hopefully that Earthsea television series will do the world justice.
Yeah, I debated how to word that so I get what you're saying. But even in fantasy/sci-fi book recommendation threads here I don't see her mentioned nearly as much as male writers like Isaac Asimov, Phillip K. Dick, Frank Herbert, etc.

I don't want to let myself get too excited after what happened with the two previous adaptations, but I would love for Earthsea to be part of mainstream conversation in the same way that other fantasy works like LotR and GoT are.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to let myself get too excited after what happened with the two previous adaptations, but I would love for Earthsea to be part of mainstream conversation in the same way that other fantasy works like LotR and GoT are.

Earthsea definitely got done dirty by the quick-and-dirty attempts of the early aughts to find the next LOTR. It definitely feels like something that would be an excellent adaption in the era of peak TV. We will see.

Oct 26, 2017
I rented this a few months ago and was kind of letdown. I liked the general framework, but something was missing that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe because I love her so much, I had too high of expectations. It just never felt like it ever really hammered home how damn important and amazing she was. I am probably being too picky though.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished book 2 of Earthsea last night and I am noticing this as well. It's almost impossible for me to imagine how those first two books would translate to any other medium. So much of book one is a solitary and psychological journey, and so much of book two takes place in complete and utter darkness. It really highlights the strength of the stories within their medium. But If anyone can crack a solid adaptation I would be pleasantly surprised and happy to see it. If anything I feel like the stories could be decently served as comic books, but like I said I've only read the first two so far and I'm excited to see where else Ursula k. Le Guin takes me.