• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 23, 2017
I really admire that you're able to navigate the current climate at all, and all the proof anyone should need of even "progressive" places like Era having issues is the word of folks like you. I wish there was anything meaningful I could say, but Rowling's comments combined with the general apathy of the gaming community and Era itself show just how much we still struggle with this issue and I have no idea how to respond. For what it's worth I won't be buying this game or any game that I am aware benefits transphobic people or parties. I hope our discourse and our treatment of trans folks gets better; I know it can.
Honestly, your comfort helps a lot. Empathy is a great thing in these moments and I appreciate that from you. If there's anything you'd like to learn or understand better, feel free to ask. It's much easier for me to have these discussions with people who start out with an open mind and thank you for your support.

Umdlye

Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice if the publisher matched the $ amount of royalties for the game with donations to UK trans charities.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if a) the devs will be able to craft some message in their game to take distance from JKR statements b) find a way to, if not entirely, undermine her earnings from the eventual mass sales?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I feel like Avalanche and Warner Bros should collectively do something that JK Rowling would oppose yet have no authority over. She gets royalties but I don't know the extent to which she has control over the project. I doubt they will donate a portion of the profits towards transgender-oriented charities like Mermaids or homeless funds for Black trans women, but they should at least make a statement differentiating themselves from the bigotry of the series creator. I would much prefer them have an Assassin's Creed style statement within the game that affirms that trans rights are human rights and/or trans women are women. If Warner Bros would also make a donating to a trans charity the moment the game releases, that would also be great. I can't imagine the dev team and publisher remaining silent over this issue.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how many hoops TERRs jump through to escape facing their bigotry. I mean their position contradicts with science, feminism, society, heck even laws! And all this for what?

JK Rowling would lose absolutely nothing if she kept her mouth shut. She's smart enough (I hope) to realize how important HP is to many people especially in the LGBT community. Yet she spends time and effort using her big platform to punch down on a group who just wanna be left alone to live their lives.

It's quite perplexing.

White fragility is a doozy, huh? She got called out one time and, rather than learning from the experience and growing into a better person, now spends all of her time trying to defend a cause no one asked her to stand for against her own fans.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's insane how many hoops TERRs jump through to escape facing their bigotry. I mean their position contradicts with science, feminism, society, heck even laws! And all this for what?

JK Rowling would lose absolutely nothing if she kept her mouth shut. She's smart enough (I hope) to realize how important HP is to many people especially in the LGBT community.

Yet she spends time and effort using her big platform to punch down on a group who just wanna be left alone to live their lives. And it's clearly annoying so many people who were inspired by her work.

It's quite perplexing, and it suck so much.
I am a biotechnologist and I hate how all transphobics say "It is simple biology". No, it is not, you have no fucking idea of biology any more than you did when you were 14 years old, shut your mouth.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if a) the devs will be able to craft some message in their game to take distance from JKR statements b) find a way to, if not entirely, undermine her earnings from the eventual mass sales?
Earnings likely no. The first thing, it really depends on their contract. I can imagine there'll be some subversive pro-trans stuff put in though.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I feel for the developers, and any decent Harry Potter fan who is now conflicted about something they love thanks to the views of its shitty creator.

But trans men and women can do without any more money/influence/etc going to Rowling, especially with the control she likely has over any finished product.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Avalanche and Warner Bros should collectively do something that JK Rowling would oppose yet have no authority over. She gets royalties but I don't know the extent to which she has control over the project. I doubt they will donate a portion of the profits towards transgender-oriented charities like Mermaids or homeless funds for Black trans women, but they should at least make a statement differentiating themselves from the bigotry of the series creator. I would much prefer them have an Assassin's Creed style statement within the game that affirms that trans rights are human rights and/or trans women are women. If Warner Bros would also make a donating to a trans charity the moment the game releases, that would also be great. I can't imagine the dev team and publisher remaining silent over this issue.

i'm not saying you are wrong or it wouldn't be the right thing to do but antagonizing JKR would be catastrophic for the studio (and WB), so it's not happening.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
yep we need to separate the art from the artist
Please stop spouting this shit. You cannot separate Rowling from HP. Her beliefs & bigotries are all over Harry Potter + she will still profit from every purchase of a HP product & she retains her societal power & influence for as long as we keep talking about her IPs/franchises. Let's just have her and her legacy fade into nothingess.

The world has tons of far better storytellers with progressive, inclusive attitudes. Find them and support them. SIgnal boost them. If HP was important to you when you were growing up and offered you joy/support/whatever, you don't have to let this invalidate those feelings & take that away (completely), but, like, just move on. The HP franchise isn't irreplaceable. Lots of worlds & stories to delve into and leave these bigots behind.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It feels like some of these people are begging for the chance to tell marginalized groups to go fuck themselves, but in a nice way! i.e: "I sure can't wait to play this game!"
Yep, they did this (and still continue to do this) with Cyberpunk 2077 as well. I was there for the thread that basically became a mass cull due to exactly this issue (along with more blatant transphobia and "just asking questions")

I mean look at the Cyberpunk threads open at the moment and look at the amount of posts compared to the thread about the developers being transphobic for like the 6th or 7th time, its a joke, and even in that thread there is still people saying "You can't judge the game before it comes out!" as if criticising the game is actually going to effect their pathetic little nerd lives.

We need to do better as a community. I'm so ashamed

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
www.polygon.com

Open-world Harry Potter game reportedly on track for 2021 release date

According to a Bloomberg report

Honestly, I'm fucking furious with how Polygon are reporting on Schrier's article.

They literally hid the article's focal point that deals with a real human cost in favour of driving traffic about an unannounced Harry Potter game.

Hoping this is corrected rapidly. Polygon what the fuck.

EDIT:

Images in case this does get taken down or altered:

zXIwTLBl.png

OT4OVWV.png

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
i'm not saying you are wrong or it wouldn't be the right thing to do but antagonizing JKR would be catastrophic for the studio (and WB), so it's not happening.
I mean, they have over a year to figure out how to modify the contract between JKR and Warner Bros. Then again, I'm getting too optimistic and it's difficult to purchase a product that supports a bigot, so I'll just get a used copy if the game is any good or if JKR no longer benefits from the franchise in any way.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As they should be. Imagine all of your hard work being done to help a bigot make a profit. Remember, transphobes are a filthy lot who deserve to live in trash cans and get spat on.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, your comfort helps a lot. Empathy is a great thing in these moments and I appreciate that from you. If there's anything you'd like to learn or understand better, feel free to ask. It's much easier for me to have these discussions with people who start out with an open mind and thank you for your support.
Thank you for that, I might hit you up on that at some point. As a straight cis white male in a world built for people like me I am often woefully out of my depth on issues like these and I have a great deal to learn. An educating voice from someone actually living through these things would be extremely welcome.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
www.polygon.com

Honestly, I'm fucking furious with how Polygon are reporting on Schrier's article.

They literally hid the article's focal point that deals with a real human cost in favour of driving traffic about an unannounced Harry Potter game.

EURGHHHH fucking gross. Fuck the gaming community

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Official Staff Communication

The article in this thread is about how the developers are troubled by Rowling's recent transphobic comments and how fans of the series are struggling with excitement over the game, and future properties, while also denouncing and not wanting to support Rowling due to her bigotry.

While we are not going to ban the game, nor the discussion of it, this is simply not the thread to discuss excitement for it. This is a thread to discuss the very serious matters mentioned in the article. If your contribution is only to express excitement for the game, don't post.

Please be understanding of the fact that JK Rowling's blatant and repeated transphobic remarks are incredibly hurtful to the trans community (many of whom were also Harry Potter fans), and the fact that this article is focused on transphobia means that extra sensitivity is required. Posts that go against this staff post will lead to a ban.

I'm not sure if there has been any official statements from the Mods and Admin but why don't we just outright ban JK Rowling works and related works here?
We do that for other creators who are outrightly transphobic right? After that essay she did there's no denial that she is indeed a TERF. Why should we continue to talk about her game and her work here?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, wtf at that Polygon.

Original article: "Devs lamenting on working on a property owned by a POS TERF"

Polygon: "OMG, HARRY POTTER GAME SLATED FOR 2021. GET HYPEEEEEEEED!"

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
JK is a disgusting person whose prejudices permeate many aspects of the HP universe and it is sad that she's going to be getting royalties for this. With that said, she's one of the richest women on the planet and controls a massive media empire that's going to last long after she's dead, and the development team has been working really hard on this for years now, so canning the project I think would be counterproductive. I really think there is a way for the team to help "redeem" the universe and the game by representing transgender people respectfully and in a way that rebukes Rowling's bigotry directly- make a Hogwarts that feels inclusive and I'm sure a lot of people, especially transgender people who are fans of the series and have been hurt by Rowling , will appreciate the effort

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

Honestly this might be even worse since at least Polygon's article still brings up the developers being uncomfortable with JK Rowling, disappointing from Nibel

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

YUCK, WTF Polygon that's so fucking abhorrent. I find it no different than some of the banned posters in this thread

''THERE'S A HARRY POTTER GAME COMING OUT IN 2021. WE ASKED WB ABOUT BUT GOT NO COMMENTS YET.
also there's some stuff about rowling's transphobia i think idk''

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Lol, wtf at that Polygon.

Original article: "Devs lamenting on working on a property owned by a POS TERF"

Polygon: "OMG, HARRY POTTER GAME SLATED FOR 2021. GET HYPEEEEEEEED!"
While the polygon article is shit, I'm not sure that I got from Schreier's article that they were worried about working on a TERF's property and more how it might affect the sales of their product? I don't see anything about them being upset by the actual transphobia? There's not actually any quotes from the devs either.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I wish they'd just change aspects of the game so it's no longer an official Harry Potter game.
And yes, I know why they can't do that.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel for the devs. It's easy for me to sit here and say I won't support her or any affiliated projects again, and I absolutely never will, but I'm sure it's not an easy situation to be in when it puts food on the table and contracts are involved.

I hope those who decide to get out and can do so do it in a way where they land on their feet.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if there has been any official statements from the Mods and Admin but why don't we just outright ban JK Rowling works and related works here?
We do that for other creators who are outrightly transphobic right? After that essay she did there's no denial that she is indeed a TERF. Why should we continue to talk about her game and her work here?

For whatever reason, staff have never entertained the idea of banning movie or game discussions even when the creator is horrific and directly profits from it. Everything else? Sure.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel for the devs. It's easy for me to sit here and say I won't support her or any affiliated projects again, and I absolutely never will, but I'm sure it's not an easy situation to be in when it puts food on the table and contracts are involved.

I hope those who decide to get out and can do so do it in a way where they land on their feet.

The devs are already being paid, and people don't buy games because they simply aren't interested in it all the time.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's the explanation behind the rabid TERFdom in the UK? Trans people are under siege all over the world, but UK liberals seem to be uniquely loud and persistent in their hatred.

I think mumsnet makes the UK a particular breeding ground for some of these thoughts. I don't know if there is a US equivalent, but imagine a huge forum like resetera, but filled with Karens.

I think Glinner (Graham Linehan) literally posted in there after getting banned on Twitter again. They're a perfect seeding ground for this kind of TERF bollocks - daily mail headlines and all that trash.

Last edited:

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Trans women are women and trans men are men.
Fucking get over it you disgusting piece of trash boomer.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I blame mumsnet. I don't know if there is a US equivalent, but imagine a huge forum like resetera, but filled with Karens.

I think Glinner (Graham Linehan) literally posted in there after getting banned on Twitter again. They're a perfect seeding ground for this kind of TERF bollocks - daily mail headlines and all that trash.

I don't think it's right to assume one shitty online forum is the source of all transphobia in the UK. The rot goes way deeper than that, mumsnet is just a convenient access point for a lot of stupid people.

JK's been putting this shit into her work for years, I doubt she was "indoctrinated" by them when she was working on the original books. This is just who she's always been.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Although I agree we should, we really don't. As long as people want to talk about a game, they will be allowed, take for instance Dragon Quest, Any Atlus game, Cd Projekt Red, among others.

Edit: At most, content creators are banned.

Jan 21, 2020
User Banned (Permanent) - Concern trolling in sensitive thread; Account in junior phase
Please stop spouting this shit. You cannot separate Rowling from HP. Her beliefs & bigotries are all over Harry Potter + she will still profit from every purchase of a HP product & she retains her societal power & influence for as long as we keep talking about her IPs/franchises. Let's just have her and her legacy fade into nothingess.

The world has tons of far better storytellers with progressive, inclusive attitudes. Find them and support them. SIgnal boost them. If HP was important to you when you were growing up and offered you joy/support/whatever, you don't have to let this invalidate those feelings & take that away (completely), but, like, just move on. The HP franchise isn't irreplaceable. Lots of worlds & stories to delve into and leave these bigots behind.

So do we just say fuck lovecraft and all the amazing stuff thats stemmed from his work too. Or is it ok cuz he's dead? Let's stop trying to do this cancel culture shit and make it simple and just call her out. Knowing is enough

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's right to assume one shitty online forum is the source of all transphobia in the UK. The rot goes way deeper than that, mumsnet is just a convenient access point for a lot of stupid people.

JK's been putting this shit into her work for years, I doubt she was "indoctrinated" by them when she was working on the original books. This is just who she's always been.

of course I didn't mean only mumsnet. But it certainly seems one outlet where you get sympathetic views and so such thoughts can be seeded and grow. Edited to soften the comment

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Yo I feel for the devs caught up in this. On one hand, Harry Potter is an amazing IP and to be able to contribute to it and make something meaningful and fun is awesome. On the other hand, JK is an asshat and has repeatedly shown it and I wouldn't want to contribute to her.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
So, I know it's not the Just Cause studio, but is there anything noteworthy that this Avalanche has produced to lead us to believe to more than a cash-in on a popular IP? Disney Infinity isn't anything to brag about.

It's all very confusing tbh, one is called "Avalanche Studios" and the other "Avalanche Software". It looks like this developer, Avalanche Software actually existed first. One of the rare situations where it would have made sense for the trademark people to step in and stop Avalanche studios from being named what it is but clearly they didn't.

They've been around for ~24 years and have only ever produced cash-in tat as far as I can see, so I don't think anyone should be getting their hopes up for a masterpiece.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The devs are already being paid, and people don't buy games because they simply aren't interested in it all the time.
... what?

I'm saying I hope that the devs that disagree with her stance morally can find a way out of working on the project that doesn't bankrupt them. Like find another job. I get that the devs aren't being paid by game sales. That's not the point.

I understand people don't buy games they aren't interested in, but what does that have to do with anything? Choosing to not support this or her future projects goes beyond "lack of interest" in the game and fully into an interest in not giving a hateful bigot any money.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Sadly, everything I've read about Rowling's creative control of all Potter media is that it's very strong. She rejected WB's pitches for spin-off movies and they only got made with her writing the scripts herself. And she refused to allow any marketing deals with fast food restaurants. While I believe the Avalanche devs that she has little direct involvement with the game so far, my guess is it's only because she hasn't chosen to get involved.

Fuck Rowling and Fuck TERFs. I can't in good conscience ever buy products that are approved by her and benefit her financially.

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
I'm OOTL can someone explain what happened? I wasn't huge on Harry Potter do I never knew JK made any comments.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do we just say fuck lovecraft and all the amazing stuff thats stemmed from his work too. Or is it ok cuz he's dead? Let's stop trying to do this cancel culture shit and make it simple and just call her out. Knowing is enough

Knowing is not enough. Knowing does not prevent the harm that she is actively causing on a day to day basis. Lovecraft has been dead for a while now and is not actively causing harm to people, as no one even contests that he was a racist. We all know he was, and he gets no support from anyone as a result of it

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
They've been around for ~24 years and have only ever produced cash-in tat as far as I can see, so I don't think anyone should be getting their hopes up for a masterpiece.

Yeah, looking into it I did notice the pattern, but this will be their first game under WB after a decade under Disney. And they've had much more time on this one that they usually had when working on Disney cash-ins. So maybe there's hope that WB lent them some Montreal/Rocksteady tech/talent and the proper budget. Or maybe it will be a by-the-book cash-in.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for them. They're just trying to do their jobs and now their names are tied to someone else's shitty opinions.