• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
at the end of the day that would result in pretty much the same thing though. she either gets the money now or later.
Yes and no. She gets a huge payout but at least you can then be assured none of your purchases are adding to her coffers directly (again, Minecraft and Notch).
But it's never happening, so this is a moot point.

Oct 28, 2017
As long as she's getting any sort of royalties I don't think I could spend money on anything Harry Potter, so this game is going to be a hard pass no matter how "good" it is. I feel bad for the developers, even worse if any of them are trans.

It's great that half of the thread is commenting on the actual situation, and others only care about the leaks put in at the end of the article for clicks, shows people's priorities.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Can we cancel her forever but keep HP around?

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Rowling but be an awful human, but as a teacher I still think the series itself is an incredible tool. At 7 books it's a pretty lengthy series, but it's also easy enough for most kids to jump into. The books grow with the reader, so Sorceror's Stone is going to thematically be less intense than, say, Order of the Phoenix. After the first 2 books, it's also not really stand alone. You need to read Year 4 before you can read Year 5, etc.

It sounds like it shouldn't be a big deal, but when you take into consideration similar books in that Lexile level, there really isn't anything to compare it to. Harry Potter is unique in that the books are big (literally, it's chunky), but also it's a book series where you can stick with the characters and continue their adventures. The more time you spend reading them, the better the payoff is going to be. Because the books are so big for that level, I've found that it's an absolutely incredible confidence builder. For many of my students, the series is the first "big" books that they get into.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The issue is what incentive could WB give her to sell the franchise? She doesn't need money, so i'm afraid the franchise will always be stuck with her.
Oh yeah, unfortunately it's never happening. I wish it could, because i loved HP, it was crucial for me in my formative years, but it's forever tainted by association with a horrible bigot now.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She has full ownership and creative control of the IP, so you can't divorce the two unless she sells HP outright like Notch did with Minecraft to MS. She's said in the past she never would do that iirc

She also has no real incentive to sell it unless she needs the cash (that will never happen) or if she wants to pull a George Lucas and retire. She's only 54 so I doubt she is slowing down any time soon.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you CAN do that.

The best you could do would be to pretty much have the damaging underpinnings of her public persona stapled to the front of her work the way Lovecraft's hideous racism has basically been hot glued to the front of his work's historical record.
The problem is that Lovecraft isn't making money out of his work considering he has been long dead and buried. Not the same for Rowling.

Just don't support anything related to her as long as she is actively profiting from it, that's it.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As a leftist UK person I was baffled at first but then I saw an interesting point in another thread here - people in the UK are a lot more used to insular communities where everything is everybody's business. The US has more than its fair share of problems but comparatively it promotes individuality (culturally, not financially). In the UK it's a lot more difficult to be different from the "norm" (white, cis, and straight.) It's less that the British are always polite, it's more that we're conditioned to stay in our lane.

So for middle aged and older UK people, who think rights issues were done and sorted thanks to their efforts, trans people existing throws a wrench into their worldview. It's why a lot of the transphobia is framed as "protecting" women - but only specific women.

Huh...this is a really good explanation. I didn't think about it like that. I wasn't aware that the UK's TERF problem was more pronounced than the US,but I'm just not as informed about the issues within this minority being a straight black male. It explains the sort of rhetoric a lot of middle-aged white people here use when talking about racism or the supposed lack of it in the UK.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man its such a bummer that such a magical and influential franchise can be tarnished by such a big piece of shit author.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that Lovecraft isn't making money out of his work considering he has been long dead and buried. Not the same for Rowling.

Just don't support anything related to her as long as she is actively profiting from it, that's it.

Pretty much. The best you could do would be a public condemnation like Lovecraft has been getting, but that doesn't fix the fact she'd still profit off of her work even in the process of doing so. It would be like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole.

Oh well. There will always be other children's fantasy series out there that aren't linked to virulent bigots.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Feel bad for the team making it, but also JKR has been a crypto-TERF for years so her deciding to take it public was always a strong possibility.

I honestly wasn't the target for this game, much as I enjoyed reading Harry Potter casually as they came out, so I'm not going to pretend my "boycott" would actually affect the game, but I'm never buying a Harry Potter game, movie, or book again. She's wrecked any fondness I have for the series and made all the suspect shit in it so much more suspect.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If these developers could publicly condemn JK Rowling they wouldn't be talking anonymously to a media outlet about it.

In general you shouldn't expect developers at AAA studios to be able to be public about their issues with the company or the project they're working on.
I would be looking to studio management to discuss this matter, not low level staff.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
This just sucks, one of my most anticipated games is tied to a bigot and now the devs who have no fault risk their years of hard work to be thrown away because of her.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I mean if AT&T via Warner value that IP like they do now, I'm sure they must be drafting up something to get her to distance herself from the creative side of this franchise. she is really not doing justice to it

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid, I used to dream in Harry Potter. I had entire adventures and made friends with the characters. To see her take a stance like this is incredibly disappointing.

I know the franchise is bigger than just JK Rowling, but it's going to be extremely difficult to support anything she is attached to after her taking such a backward, awful view and making headlines with it.

Discussion guidelines

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
The article in this thread is about how the developers are troubled by Rowling's recent transphobic comments and how fans of the series are struggling with excitement over the game, and future properties, while also denouncing and not wanting to support Rowling due to her bigotry.

While we are not going to ban the game, nor the discussion of it, this is simply not the thread to discuss excitement for it. This is a thread to discuss the very serious matters mentioned in the article. If your contribution is only to express excitement for the game, don't post.

Please be understanding of the fact that JK Rowling's blatant and repeated transphobic remarks are incredibly hurtful to the trans community (many of whom were also Harry Potter fans), and the fact that this article is focused on transphobia means that extra sensitivity is required. Posts that go against this staff post will lead to a ban.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if AT&T via Warner value that IP like they do now, I'm sure they must be drafting up something to get her to distance herself from the creative side of this franchise. she is really not doing justice to it

Not only are they not gonna do that, everything Rowling has said and done in response to backlash over her shitty views indicates she would never agree to anything of the sort.

And at the end of the day she owns the IP in full so she holds all the cards and can play them however she wants. WB is at her mercy because they aren't gonna drop HP.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Not only are they not gonna do that, everything Rowling has said and done in response to backlash over her shitty views indicates she would never agree to anything of the sort.

And at the end of the day she owns the IP in full so she holds all the cards and can play them however she wants. WB is at her mercy because they aren't gonna drop HP.

its a weird analogy but by the way you put it, I can't help but think how at this point WB is just plainly simping over her IP.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I am always of the thought that at some points in life an author's work becomes bigger than the author.

I think if any franchise can have this moment is one as big as Harry Potter. One that got as popular from the movies as it did from the books. Specially when the actors portraying these characters have come out against her statements. Daniel Radcliffe is Harry Potter to many now and forever and his act is already a step in the right direction.

I remember as a teen I read the Ender Saga. I like Ender's Game but the other books blew my mind. I loved how it dealt with the different species found. After some time I found out and read about Orson Scott Card and how much of a racist bigot he is. It didn't make sense to me after reading the books. When I read them some changes had been made with some of the more controversial issues, but the general idea of those book was good. So I can like the Ender Saga book and still think OSC is a piece of shit.

I recommend that everyone that loves HP, keeps loving it and just divorce the author from her work since it is bigger than her.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I wonder how much control she has over the game and if she can ban references to trans students or things like that.. would an interesting way to show support while being forced to finish a game you have been doing for 3 years before you realise Rowling is a transphobic shit

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's about people who report to studio management.
lol, the company isn't going to put out a message condemning JK Rowling's views because the developers aren't comfortable with them. If they do, it'd because they think it'd be a good PR message.

And really, just publicly condemning her views wouldn't be enough. Even if WB did, they'd still continue working with her anyway.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am always of the thought that at some points in life an author's work becomes bigger than the author.

I think if any franchise can have this moment is one as big as Harry Potter. One that got as popular from the movies as it did from the books. Specially when the actor portraying these characters have come out against her statements. Daniel Radcliffe is Harry Potter to many now and forever and his act is already a step in the right direction.

I remember as a teen I read the Ender Saga. I like Ender's Game but the other books blew my mind. I loved how it dealt with the different species found. After some time I found out and read about ORson Scott Card and how much of a racist bigot he is. It didn't make sense to me after reading the books. When I read them some changes had been made with some of the more controversial issue but the general idea of those book was good. So I can like the Ender saga and still think OSC is a piece of shit.

I recommend that everyone that loves HP, keeps loving it and just divorce the author from her work since it is bigger than her.

When every dollar spent on it is another in her pocket, there is no way to divorce the two things.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Avalanche is located in Utah? Huh, I never noticed a major developer was located in my home state and I've lived here for 20 years lol.

But as for the topic, they're basically stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much control she has over the game and if she can ban references to trans students or things like that.. would an interesting way to show support while being forced to finish a game you have been doing for 3 years before you realise Rowling is a transphobic shit
Even if they'd put in trans characters, that wouldn't stop the game from supporting JK Rowling. Money would still go to a wealthy TERF.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Yeah I ain't spending a dime on anything JK Rowling related as long as any percent of it ends up in her pockets. Sucks that her shitty worldview is going to affect projects like this, but I can't in good conscious support it.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
So how much influence does she have over the franchise and the game?
If the devs want to include trans characters can she block that?

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If the developers are distraught about JK they can easily bump up trans positive representation in the game.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"My advanced mind can separare artist from her work"="I just don't give a shit about human rights tbh"

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
When every dollar spent on it is another in her pocket, there is no way to divorce the two things.
Sure, but Harry Potter is bigger than money. That is part of my point.

All the kids cosplaying it or discussing it or doing a hundred things with the franchise are bigger than JKR and it doesn't give her money all the time.

The characters that JKR wrote are bigger than her and her bigotry and fans have to own that over her IMO.

So I disagree that you can't divorce the 2 and there are many easy ways that I will not share here to get around the money part.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah it must be really grim working on a project or for a company where someone you really disagree with will benefit from your work, so I completely understand why they feel conflicted

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but Harry Potter is bigger than money. That is part of my point.

All the kids cosplaying it or discussing it or doing a hundred things with the franchise are bigger than JKR and it doesn't give her money all the time.

The characters that JKR wrote are bigger than her and her bigotry and fans have to own that over her IMO.

So I disagree that you can't divorce the 2 and there are many easy ways that I will not share here to get around the money part.

Even if it's not giving her money, it's giving her mindshare which furthers her platform to stand on for her shitty views.

There is no situation, none, where further promotion and public adulation does not benefit JK Rowling, who is a shitty human with shitty beliefs.

Oct 27, 2017
interesting to see how many gamers care so little about trans rights.
Bunch of era members are going to buy it and shrug off Rowling's transphobic rhetoric because their video games are more important. But it's ok, they might put up a transgender pride flag next to their twitter name next June or something, maybe even tweet out "trans rights", cause all of this is probably a videogame to them too, it's about high scores in (performative) wokeness. It's going to be a redux of thq nordic.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt JKR has any control whatsoever over the game design, so it's quite possible for WB to add in whatever they like. Whether they will or not remains to be seen, if they're willing to risk upsetting the golden goose.

Maybe it's time for companies to start distancing themselves from her, regardless of how much money she makes them. Otherwise they're just confirming what we all know (and more news outlets need to be pointing it out), that they value money over everything else, including human rights.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Why warner dont try the Assassins Creed route? Change it to a new ip so they can reuse the assets and they don't need to pay royalties to JK Rowling.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
They can't be shocked she's been saying questionable things longer than that game has been in development.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of era members are going to buy it and shrug off Rowling's transphobic rhetoric because their video games are more important. But it's ok, they might put up a transgender pride flag next to their twitter name next June or something, maybe even tweet out "trans rights", cause all of this is probably a videogame to them too, it's about high scores in (performative) wokeness. It's going to be a redux of thq nordic.

Seriously, posts like this really sum up the problem with the performative wokeness that encompasses so much of Twitter and Era itself.

Fuck JK Rowling, still interested in the game.

People are all for throwing out a paltry "Trans Rights!" but when it comes to actually making meaningful change, or even the smallest of sacrifices, people are unwilling to do it. This is why despite so many celebrities coming out and saying those one liners on twitter of "Trans Rights!" almost every country is regressing on trans rights. No one actually cares beyond just looking good for everyone around them and it's painfully obvious to those of us who have to actually live this shit

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Even if they'd put in trans characters, that wouldn't stop the game from supporting JK Rowling. Money would still go to a wealthy TERF.

Yeah but at this point isnt the goal to mitigate the damage she's doing with her platform while they already deep in development? Upping trans representation and including the main character would be better than doing nothing

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I feel really bad for this team. Rowling has become toxic and threw them under the bus, it isn't their fault but they will probably be the ones punished for it instead of her. Not sure what the right answer is here.