• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

One of the most anticipated video games is one whose existence has yet to be acknowledged by its publisher, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It's a big-budget Harry Potter game that will let players role-play as wizards and roam a vast, open-world re-creation of Hogwarts and its surrounding areas.

The long-rumored project is very real, according to two people currently working on it. The game is in development at a Warner Bros.-owned studio, Avalanche Software in Salt Lake City, Utah, and is scheduled for release late next year for platforms including the upcoming Sony Corp. PlayStation 5 and Microsoft Corp. Xbox Series X, said the people, who requested anonymity over fears they would be fired for speaking publicly about an unannounced game.

Within the team, though, some anxiety surrounds the work. The studio's management has not addressed recent comments from the author J.K. Rowling that were widely viewed as transphobic, the people said. The situation made some members of the team uncomfortable and sparked private discussions among staff over the pandemic water cooler, the workplace communication app Slack.

Spokespeople for AT&T Inc.'s Warner Bros. Interactive and Rowling declined to comment.

The result was that many transgender people felt demeaned, and the comments were denounced by fans and collaborators. Cast members from the Harry Potter series, including Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, said they disagreed with Rowling's stance, and Warner Bros. responded by touting its "inclusive culture."

Many fans are attempting to reconcile their love of the fantasy series with its author's beliefs, which they find repugnant. On Reddit, there's a 6,000-member community dedicated to the yet-to-be-announced Harry Potter game. The usual exchange of rumors and wish lists that takes place there was derailed this month by debate over Rowling's statements. The forum's editors posted a declaration that they "firmly stand in disagreement with the opinions stated in those tweets" and that fans should avoid discussing them.

Warner Bros. had originally planned to announce the Harry Potter game during a news conference at the trade show E3 in June, according to people familiar with the plans. When E3 was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, the publisher's marketing roadmap shifted.

The new plan is to unveil the Batman game in August at a digital event called DC FanDome, and the Harry Potter game will be revealed later, a person with knowledge of the plans said. The person said those plans were made before Rowling's comments.

mod edit: added quotes from article to OP

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
sad to know she will get royalities from the game :(

happy to know it's real at least.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I personally hate that something that was such a strong element of my formative years is the product of somebody so hateful. I can't even imagine what the developers must be feeling as they are the ones producing another piece of content for Rowling.

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): drive-by in a sensitive thread
Avalanche? Must be an open world then, color me interested.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Unveiled after August. Next-gen only(?). Late 2021.

The new plan is to unveil the Batman game in August at a digital event called DC FanDome, and the Harry Potter game will be revealed later, a person with knowledge of the plans said. The person said those plans were made before Rowling's comments.
The long-rumored project is very real, according to two people currently working on it. The game is in development at a Warner Bros.-owned studio, Avalanche Software in Salt Lake City, Utah, and is scheduled for release late next year for platforms including the upcoming Sony Corp. PlayStation 5 and Microsoft Corp. Xbox Series X

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone who ever interacted with this franchise in even the most casual of ways should be bothered by those comments. They were inexcusable and abhorrent.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I feel for the people developing the game. I imagine there must be folks from the LGBT+ community with them and it must be hard to hear the comments from Rowling.

I thought the game would be ready on 2022, so late 2021 is sooner than I anticipated.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): drive-by in a sensitive thread
Can't wait to play it. Give me a quidditch mode that's as fun as Quidditch World Cup was.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
How could it not?

To give you an idea how much I enjoy Harry Potter universe, I played Harry Potter: Wizards Unite daily since launch - when her "essay came out" - I completely stopped cold turkey. Its disgusting.

Nothing I wanted more than a Harry Potter open world game for years, and then her comments.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like every single Harry Potter thread needs a "NOT THAT AVALANCHE" disclaimer in the OP at this point. lol

Oct 29, 2017
When the leak dropped I was super excited about the game; not touching it now. I've given that transphobe enough of my money.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I personally hate that something that was such a strong element of my formative years is the product of somebody so hateful. I can't even imagine what the developers must be feeling as they are the ones producing another piece of content for Rowling.
This is same thing with Dragon Quest and it gets harder and harder to accept the praise that it gets especially from around here.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, she just had to go and sour the incoming announcement . Now i will play the gaeme with a guilty heart :(

Deleted member 60772

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobic rhetoric
Oh god.

This whole subject is so fraught with emotion, pain and frustration that's it's so incredibly hard to know what to say. Trans rights must be upheld, and so must women's.

As a straight white bloke I always feel I should say nothing (You'd probably agree), other than to hope the two sides can reach a happy consensus at some point.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
What's the explanation behind the rabid TERFdom in the UK? Trans people are under siege all over the world, but UK liberals seem to be uniquely loud and persistent in their hatred.

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god.

This whole subject is so fraught with emotion, pain and frustration that's it's so incredibly hard to know what to say. Trans rights must be upheld, and so must women's.

As a straight white bloke I always feel I should say nothing (You'd probably agree), other than to hope the two sides can reach a happy consensus at some point.
This is some TERF shit, stop.

Trans women are women.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
They could begin by making sure trans folks are represented in the franchise for the first time, but considering Rowling will still profit from it, I don't know, man. Tough situation to be in for the devs. I can imagine.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Oh god.

I see you aren't too familiar with JK's recent writings lol

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh god.

What womens rights are being challenged here?

Dec 2, 2017
Rowling and her disgusting views on trans people have destroyed my interest in anything Harry Potter related ever again. Won't be playing this one.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
So, I know it's not the Just Cause studio, but is there anything noteworthy that this Avalanche has produced to lead us to believe to more than a cash-in on a popular IP? Disney Infinity isn't anything to brag about.