• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Teachers are saints and deserve so much more than they get. It's really terrible that Republicans seem to want to turn schools into the next culture war front because it's going to make it worse for everybody.

As a parent, I also hope that there is some help from the Federal government because many kids can't just get an entire day off of school every week or even virtual learning. It's not sustainable. My wife teaches and I also work.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
BAsed on the OP this was handled very poorly. You can't give a 48 hour notice and not expect working parents to freak out. Also for inner city school systems, there's a higher rate of jobs that can't be worked remotely, and households are less often two parent households where there is more flexibility.

I think it's also good to challenge the assumption that this is "good for teachers." My wife teaches at an inner city school not *that* different from Detroit and they were remote for Fridays last spring, and she fucking hated it. The student engagement for remote in our district is very low, and she'd basically be talking at a screen for an hour with no feedback, no input, I'd hear her upstairs, "Hey everybody, anybody there? Hello, any signs of life?" In our district, the school is also very important for nutrition, meals, and with my wife's school, laundry. For her school it was a mistake to close on Friday's last spring, but her school had to follow the practices of the rest of the school district, which ranges between very low income levels to modest middle income, generally diverse populations for all schools in our district, but hers is mostly non-white, high percentage of english language learners, the most at risk population for outcome declines related to COVID.

In our district Friday's were cleaning days as well, but now 20 months into the pandemic, I think it's worth questioning the deep cleaning mentality. In ~20+ months, as best as we know, there's been near enough to zero covid transmission from surfaces, so called "fomite" transmission, perhaps a few confirmed cases through a surface, compared to ~50m known cases through typical transmission in the air. A lot of the deep cleaning mentality is either based on faulty assumptions from the beginning of the pandemic, the same thing that caused people to leave mail or groceries outside for X days which was utter hogwash and corrected by the science pretty quickly, but the habit started and it's difficult to disrupt. Like the restaurant that'll pack in hundreds of people, and then make a big show about using bleach on every surface. Or the hotels that have special tags on every door that "this room was deep cleaned," and yet the hotel bar has people shoulder to shoulder from 4PM to 8PM every night. For private businesses, I get that a lot of the theatre is marketing. For public policy in government-run institutions like schools, I think there needs to be better justification.

Feb 2, 2019
My husband is a high school history teacher, and feeling this too. His district refuses to hire another history teacher so he (and a few of his fellow teachers in his department) are teaching 6 classes (instead of 5). Each class is filled up to maximum capacity (average of 30+). He is teaching 190+ students total. Not to mention that he works in a school with one of the largest refugee/immigrant populations - he has several students who are English Learners that he tries hard to create individual lessons for so they can participate and learn.

He is paid comparitively well here in WA state, but the burn out is so real. Glad to be back in the classroom though. Virtual learning almost broke him - very minimal participation, like talking into the void day after day, with admin constantly asking "but what more can you do to help your students?" And the answer is nothing. Emails, phone calls, all met with radio silence.

It's a lot. It always has been, even before the pandemic. But this is too much - teachers cannot be expected to carry it all. Not only are they teaching the next generation, as others have mentioned, they are expected to address huge systemic issues that are impacting students but they have no control over - like childhood hunger, children experiencing homelessness, experiencing physical or sexual abuse, mental health, the list goes on. And they get no support, but all the blame.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The school system in America right now is mostly about deciding who we want to put the most stress on. It's awful. My wife is finally going to quit teaching. The administration has just been piling on more and more work for teachers since they returned to in-school learning in September. Tons of teachers are out every single day due to stress and sickness, and there aren't enough Substitutes, so they are shifting around teachers to make up for it. It's only getting worse.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I was talking to my wife about the recent school shooting and she brought up a situation they're in.

She has a young boy that does NOT need to be in the school system. She wants him to get help, and they are trying to work towards getting him out and into where he needs to be (which is a mental health care facility for kids).

She describes him as a sociopath. The problem is, they have to have recorded so many "incidents" in a certain time period. They want him gone NOW for help, but they legally can't do jack. They have to report and photograph incidences. He has to hit a threshold, and that can take months. He has told kids he'll kill them. He has told the teachers he wants to rip their eyes out and eat them. He goes from being calm to throwing his breakfast across the room and flipping chairs. He's EIGHT.

Teachers are so tied up by the "processes" they legally have to follow in everything from masks, to healthcare, to safety, to suspensions, and handling of students...they just don't want to do it anymore. My wife is an administrator, and she's doing her best, but she literally can't do what is right or what needs to be done due to the processes put in place in system that needs an ENTIRE overhaul. No one above her will step into these situations. Their response is "follow protocol".

She knows that if people could watch video of him, something may happen, but she can't legally video tape him. In her 12 years as a teacher/administrator, she's never had a child like this.

Take situations like that, and throw CoVID and everything else on top of it, and it's just an absolute train wreck.

I absolutely 1000% understand the people that have no way to take care of their kids if they have to work though. That is an absolute reality for millions of people.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Husband just left his teaching job due to health reasons affected by the pandemic. Teachers have had enough against them as it is but now we expect them to be full time parents and counselors for pandemic-affected children too, without any extra pay or resources.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
  • Some districts are going remote only Fridays to help with this along with cleaning protocols for COVID
www.nytimes.com

Schools Are Closing Classrooms on Fridays. Parents Are Furious. (Published 2021)

Desperate to keep teachers, some districts have turned to remote teaching for one day a week — and sometimes more. Families have been left to find child care.

Do "cleaning protocols" still make sense? Haven't we learned that Covid transmissions are mostly airborne and the virus can't survive long on surfaces? Is it even remotely possible for someone to get sick on Monday because they didn't sanitize desks on Friday?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife has been in person Monday - Friday at her school since September 2020, amazes me how many districts around the country this isn't the case. The parents at her district would fucking revolt if they tried to go back to just one day remote (Long Island NY)

Nov 5, 2017
Teacher in NY here. I'm burnt out.

Our principal had a meeting with each grade to gauge our "mental health," seeing if there's anything she can do to lighten the load. She did one thing and proceeded to pile three more things on top of the load.

I'm six years in and just got tenure so I'm not going anywhere. I count the days until I can retire in 2040.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
All facets of the American system have been slowly eroding for decades now and the pandemic has really put the foot on the gas for practically everything.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Working parents need school to babysit their kids during the day. If I was a parent I'd be pissed too. But it is probably in the best common interest to make this the norm.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
So the school week is shortened to 4 days in the classroom instead of 5, leading to less pressure on teachers and students.

Which SHOULD stretch to hey, if the kids are out of school, parents need to take care of them. Off on fridays too, 4 day work week.

A man can dream.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Just another breakdown in a chain of breakdowns that has no good end.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yup. Teachers are burned the fuck out. All The BS they have to put up with, the lack of substitute teachers, the loss of planning times to deal with crazy parents. Public education is a calling for my wife, she could easily make double in the private sector, but she cares about education and she's ready to tap the fuck out.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Schools need to allow children to still come in even if those are virtual days. For many, the school-provided meals are the only hot meals they'll eat for the day.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Year 7 in my current position, I did a few years of long-term subbing and student-teaching and interning beforehand. After 5+ years you're supposed to start hitting your stride and have the basics down and start doing some more interesting and innovative stuff. I don't feel like I'm hitting my stride at all. My high schoolers are behaving like middle schoolers, the quality of the work has gone down, the amount of things I have to deal with has gone up. It's hard to explain everything about this and why we're all feeling like this... but it's just felt like a gut punch these last few years.

Omicron is lingering and I know that even if the amount of cases get worse... they're never letting schools shut down like they did at the beginning of the pandemic ever again. For any reason. I'm sure of it.

The pay isn't great for a job that requires a master's degree. I make under 60k right now at 7 years of experience. I'll make about 90k (hopefully 6 figures after cost of living increases) once I reach the top of the pay scale, but that's a decade away. I'll be 43.

On top of that, I have to worry about being too 'political' with what I'm teaching. I teach classes about American literature. We talk about race, we talk about gender, we talk about class. The kids have a sense of the fact that there is inequality in our society and they want to talk about it, want to learn about it, and I have to skate around the issue and tone down how I approach it. I have to rely on giving them the right things (even the books I put on my shelf for students to pick from is being questioned) and hope they are the ones who come to the right conclusions and ask the right questions.

I'm just really tired. Give me Fridays off.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I can sympthatize with the parents here. Yes parents shouldn't view schooling as day care, but lets be honest for a lot of people that's exactly part of what it is. And the shitty financial situation a lot of people in this country are in absolutely necessitates that.

At the same time, I absolutely see the teachers' perspective on this with how awful the last year and a half has been for everyone. Its a thankless job. Ultimately its one of those problems where two groups of people are being pitted against each other while the people with the actual power and pull to fix things do nothing and escape any real criticism or consequence.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Schools need to allow children to still come in even if those are virtual days. For many, the school-provided meals are the only hot meals they'll eat for the day.

School districts around here were doing meal pickups during the early days of Covid. They should do that again.

The local food bank also delivers food to schools that parents can pick up. Sadly, it's not every school but it should be.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
As a burned out teacher who's going to leave the profession if I don't transfer, 100% this. The people who are in positions to do something about this: raising pay, helping parents with wage increases and expansion of daycare, creating equitable learning environments... they just don't care. Even most dems just think the solution is hiring more teachers. Guess what? Only 15 people graduated from our local university with an education degree this December while dozens are leaving every month.

I can sympthatize with the parents here. Yes parents shouldn't view schooling as day care, but lets be honest for a lot of people that's exactly part of what it is. And the shitty financial situation a lot of people in this country are in absolutely necessitates that.

At the same time, I absolutely see the teachers' perspective on this with how awful the last year and a half has been for everyone. Its a thankless job. Ultimately its one of those problems where two groups of people are being pitted against each other while the people with the actual power and pull to fix things do nothing and escape any real criticism or consequence.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, I might have been in favor of a 4 day school pre pandemic but after seeing how remote learning disadvantages, in a major way, students at the bottom economically I think I'd oppose this.

Many students at my kids' school only eat when they're at school so reducing their meals by 20% is unsettling.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's also good to challenge the assumption that this is "good for teachers." My wife teaches at an inner city school not *that* different from Detroit and they were remote for Fridays last spring, and she fucking hated it.

I suspect there more going on here than trying to give teachers a break. My wife is a teacher and we had similar last minute decisions made in November. The official statement said something similar but the reality was that it wasn't about giving a teachers a break at all. It was the fact that they flat out couldn't staff essential funcitons those days. NOBODY wants to sub any more. So if a teacher does have to take a day off then a lot of time it's a hodgepodge of trying to cover classes without a dedicated substitute. On top of that you have major bus shortages, cafeteria workers shortages,etc.

So they try to say "oh, we're giving the teachers a break" but the reality is that this is happening because they are so short staffed on those specific days that the schoool literally can't function so they have no choice but to close or go virtual.

And it pisses me off that they couch their inability to properly manager resources as giving a break to the teachers because 1) most of the time the teachers didn't ask for this and 2) it just generates more animosity toward the profession. Lots of "oh, it's not enough they get summers off but now they get mental health days? Must be nice. Wish I got that at my job."

The pay isn't great for a job that requires a master's degree. I make under 60k right now at 7 years of experience. I'll make about 90k (hopefully 6 figures after cost of living increases) once I reach the top of the pay scale, but that's a decade away. I'll be 43.

You must be in a really high COL area. My wife make mid to upper 60s after teaching for over twenty years. Ain't no teacher in her system sniffing anywhere near six figures.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Only 15 people graduated from our local university with an education degree this December while dozens are leaving every month.

I don't think a lot of people realize just how quickly the amount of people entering education is in decline. I knew things were bad, but didn't realize the field was this bad until recently.

www.businessinsider.com

The number of Americans training to become teachers has dropped by a third since 2010, and it's creating a critical educator shortage that will affect every state

The drop in teacher training enrollment suggests that issues plaguing the profession have discouraged potential educators in the last decade.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a lot of people realize just how quickly the amount of people entering education is in decline. I knew things were bad, but not this bad.

www.businessinsider.com

The number of Americans training to become teachers has dropped by a third since 2010, and it's creating a critical educator shortage that will affect every state

The drop in teacher training enrollment suggests that issues plaguing the profession have discouraged potential educators in the last decade.

Of my 2 friends who are teachers, 1 is on the verge of quitting. Kids and parents are on their worst behavior this year

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Of my 2 friends who are teachers, 1 is on the verge of quitting. Kids and parents are on their worst behavior this year

I know a lot of districts, especially in rural areas, are starting to look abroad because they can't fill positions at all. Hell, I'm in a suburb of Houston and it took my principal 3 months to find a math teacher this summer.

Jan 11, 2018
America had better start treating teachers better and paying them more REALLY soon, otherwise this is just scratching the surface of what the consequences will be.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of districts, especially in rural areas, are starting to look abroad because they can't fill positions at all. Hell, I'm in a suburb of Houston and it took my principal 3 months to find a math teacher this summer.

At my wife's school they had a French teacher quit several weeks ago. They've had two spanish teachers tag-teaming trying to keep the class going with no permanent fix in sight.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I don't know, I might have been in favor of a 4 day school pre pandemic but after seeing how remote learning disadvantages, in a major way, students at the bottom economically I think I'd oppose this.

Many students at my kids' school only eat when they're at school so reducing their meals by 20% is unsettling.
I could see an argument for a four day school day if we started having kids go to school through the summer ( there's still a summer break but it's shorter). From my understanding summer is also very detrimental to kids who are the bottom economically and so I've found arguments to eliminate it convincing. Perhaps summer classes could be more focused on creativity and activity along with reinforcing the fundamentals or something.

But I might be biased since as a kid with parents who worked full time, I had to go to a summer program and most of my friends weren't there so I would have rather been in school.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bless these teachers.

... and fuck those parents, especially those that are unvaxxed and get riled up about crt.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Parents can be furious all they want, but here's the thing:

Parents are a huge part of the cause of this.

A 4 day work week with kids going to school Monday through Thursday 8:30 to 5:30 should be the standard; with longer breaks during the day for kids and teachers.

One word why this will never happen:

Sports.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I could see an argument for a four day school day if we started having kids go to school through the summer ( there's still a summer break but it's shorter). From my understanding summer is also very detrimental to kids who are the bottom economically and so I've found arguments to eliminate it convincing. Perhaps summer classes could be more focused on creativity and activity along with reinforcing the fundamentals or something.

Growing up, my cousins were on some weird schedule at a district in Iowa that was 8 or 9 weeks on, 2 or 3 weeks off, year around (with major holidays off too, of course). It worked out that they had the same amount of time off as a normal school schedule, it was just spread out throughout the year. I would love that schedule, not only as a former student, but a current teacher.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Working parents need school to babysit their kids during the day. If I was a parent I'd be pissed too. But it is probably in the best common interest to make this the norm.
I think the big issue here--and it applies outside of school as well--is the sheer enormity of non-commital waffling regarding all things COVID.

This wouldn't be a controversy if school systems said that all Fridays would be mental health days before the school year started. Parents, employers, and everyone else could plan accordingly.

I'm not just putting this on schools either. It seems like every sector of society is making incredibly short-sighted adjustments out of some vain hope that the situation might normalize tomorrow, by some miracle.

Oct 27, 2017
That and many low income parents can't afford to not work and stay home with their young children. Thank god our kids are old enough to be independent and can stay at home by themselves for long periods of time. My wife's work moved to full time WFH during the pandemic but if that didn't happen and we had young kids we would have been in trouble

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018

I had no idea they were outsourcing teachers but it makes a lot of sense. Even as a kid it was pretty obvious to me that teaching was an underpaid, overworked job. I always hated when students made teachers' lives more miserable, and I'm sure it's even worse now with parents. Unfortunately like many things in this country, nobody with any kind of power is interested in making it better so it's just going to get worse and worse and everyone else will suffer for it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
A 4 day work week with kids going to school Monday through Thursday 8:30 to 5:30 should be the standard; with longer breaks during the day for kids and teachers.
People fight for shorter work days and you want to increase a child's day to 9 hours? I don't think engagement studies would support that.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
One word why this will never happen:

Sports.

Kids can play sports on Friday while school is out. And during the week kids can leave early and do make up work as needed. What would prevent that?

People fight for shorter work days and you want to increase a child's day to 9 hours? I don't think engagement studies would support that.

That's what longer breaks for lunch and recess are for.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Kids can play sports on Friday while school is out.

So then parents have to transport to and from for all extracurricular activites on Fridays? At least right now it's just picking up.

all the parents mad about this see teachers strictly as babysitters and nothing else

No, parents are mad because these decisions are made last minute and it casues havoc in changing their work schedule and could lead to a loss of job if their workplace cannot accomodate.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

My girlfriend is a teacher in a Houston area school. They had something like 9 vacancies when school started, with a couple more teachers (and a Vice Principal) leaving partway through this semester.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Kids can play sports on Friday while school is out. And during the week kids can leave early and do make up work as needed. What would prevent that?

First, there are multiple nights a week with games.

Second, kids have practice every night there are no games. In small districts like the one I work in, gym space is limited, so the teams rotate times, and one team practices til 9. That would be 11:30 PM under your proposal.

Also, on game day, there are often freshman teams that play before JV and Varsity, starting at 4:00. Impossible to fit those games in. Varsity would get done at like midnight.

Oh, and good luck convincing today's parents to EVER consider reducing sports time. It's impossible. I've been at schools that tried it. Complete disaster. Whole towns get up in arms because in rural districts, the team is a source of pride.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and good luck convincing today's parents to EVER consider reducing sports time. It's impossible. I've been at schools that tried it. Complete disaster. Whole towns get up in arms because in rural districts, the team is a source of pride.

Plus it's not just conventional sports (for anyone that wants to roll their eyes at kids getting less football time or whatever). It's all extracurricular activies including drama, debate, forensics, clubs, etc.