• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Uvalde PD to issue "criminal trespass" charges to any reporters trying to get information at the Uvalde School District HQ.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
This story is just so heartbreaking:

In the days following the school shooting at Robb Elementary, the streets of this small town were lined by sets of 21.

The 21 bows of gauzy ribbon tied to the thin posts of a black iron gate. The 21 candles glowing from the window ledge of the historic Uvalde Grand Opera House. The row of classroom chairs — 19 small red ones and two taller black ones — looking out onto Getty Street.

But then 21 turned to 22.

At a memorial on the town square, another white cross was added next to the tribute to veteran teacher Irma Garcia, who died in the shooting. The 22nd cross was in honor of Joe Garcia, her husband who died suddenly days later. The family has said it was on account of a broken heart.

"I know this was too much for you and your poor heart couldn't take it," reads a scribbled note on the right-side swell of the blue heart on Joe's cross. "I will spend the rest of my life fighting for you and mom. Your names will not be forgotten."

The note is signed "Your daughter, Lyliana" with a small heart drawn next to her name.

Full article:
www.texastribune.org

Irma and Joe Garcia, a teacher and her heartbroken husband, are buried together in Uvalde

They were high school sweethearts. Irma Garcia taught at Robb Elementary for her entire 23-year career. Her husband died of a heart attack two days after she was shot.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This Shit is Infuriating. Thoughts from a Mom, that had push her way through police to get her kids. Fucking stupid that as active shots are going on, everyone is just standing around.

Oct 26, 2017
This Shit is Infuriating. Thoughts from a Mom, that had push her way through police to get her kids. Fucking stupid that as active shots are going on, everyone is just standing around.

The reporters here believing the police that there were 19 officers in the school, that they later revised, and saying the it was a high stress situation and the mother maybe just didn't realize there were officers in the school, huh?

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
State Sen. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio, said during a press conference the Uvalde school district's police chief, Pete Arredondo, wasn't made aware of 911 calls that students inside Robb Elementary School made around 30 minutes after the gunman entered, including a student begging for police to take action. The shooter killed 19 students and two teachers during his siege on the school.

Instead, Gutierrez said 911 calls were relayed to the Uvalde Police Department, which operates separately from the school district's police, and Arredondo — who was leading law enforcement's response on the scene — was left in the dark.

Gutierrez described the lack of coordination as a "system failure."

Arredondo has been widely criticized by state leaders and safety experts in the days after the shooting for his handling of the situation. It took more than an hour to breach the classroom where the gunman was holed up. The delay was contrary to the way law enforcement is trained based on best practices that were widely adopted after the 1999 school shooting in Columbine, Colorado, which recommend engaging with active shooters as soon as possible.

"There is blame enough to go around," Gutierrez said during the news conference. "There was human error and there was system error."

www.texastribune.org

Uvalde school district’s police chief didn’t know about 911 calls coming from inside the school, lawmaker says

State Sen. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio, said the commanding officer at the scene of the shooting was not informed about the calls that Uvalde police were receiving, calling the lack of coordination a “system failure.”

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Abbott has the brilliant idea to terrorize even more kids:

I'm directing
@TxSchoolSafety
to immediately conduct comprehensive school safety reviews of Texas public schools.

Among other reviews, the Texas School Safety Center should begin conducting in-person, unannounced, random intruder detection audits on school districts.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Imagine in the near future, random intrusion detection audits combined with teachers being armed with guns.

Oct 27, 2017

Every time I think I cannot hate this man more.
For fucks sake, it isn't the school not being secure as a prison that is the problem. The problem is guns that can obliterate dozens of people in less than a minute are readily available.

So fucking tired of the dance. The problem is the gun. We need our politicians to say it.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Obviously there are a million problems with just thinking fortifying schools is the solution but like what if they just wait outside for when school finishes? Shit there are so many ways for kids to still get gunned down even if they turn every school into a maximum security prison.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously there are a million problems with just thinking fortifying schools is the solution but like what if they just wait outside for when school finishes? Shit there are so many ways for kids to still get gunned down even if they turn every school into a maximum security prison.

I had this exact discussion at work yesterday.

Like clock work, conservatives started talking about fortifying schools, and I had to remind them of the absolute terror that I was in as a child when the DC sniper was active.

One of the victims was a student who was in the process of being dropped off at school. Just walking towards the building. I told them how my school district instructed us to zig zag as we walk to and from the school building to make it harder for a sharpshooter to take us out. And to avoid standing still in crowds. Now those who don't want to admit guns are the problem are telling us to do the exact opposite.

You can fortify the school building and limit entry/exits so that someone would have great difficulty assaulting class rooms. But now you have sitting ducks waiting in line to enter/exit the school at a single point. You have complete vulnerability during recess.

If you care about kids you wouldn't just care about them while they are within the walls of the building. You'd care about ensuring that any random asshole can't get their hands on the most efficient tools of destruction in existence and Wreak havoc on communities.

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, the town's cops having such a cosy, cooperative relationship with the local bike gang is like the biggest red flag for corruption, especially when they work together to harass people.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this video (in spanish) where they interview one of the parents who lost a child, and unfortunately he still thinks it's not the guns fault (though he thinks stronger background checks would be good), he's also a Trumper and wouldn't be willing to meet Biden because "he's a joke".

The interview itht he father starts around minute 10.
This is the indoctrination of the citizens of republican states.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
www.cbsnews.com

Wounded Uvalde teacher who lost 11 kids in his classroom: "I tried my best"

Arnulfo Reyes said he was gathering his fourth-grade students under a table when he saw the gunman enter the classroom.

Surviving teacher that was shot in classroom with 11 victims.

Also, I heard the student that covered them self in blood would be testifying.

jesus christ that is about the most painful thing i've ever read. you know the GOP-brain worms types will just say "HE SHOULD HAVE A HAD A GUN!!!!" though.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the Tweet of the paramedic describing the kid's wounds. I almost threw up. I'd post it, but's pretty gruesome.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
www.cbsnews.com

Arnulfo Reyes said he was gathering his fourth-grade students under a table when he saw the gunman enter the classroom.

She did earlier. It was frustrating to see four or five testimonies of people who were there calling for action to take place with laws for AR15s etc, followed by one calling for gun restrictions to be removed entirely, gun-free zones to be abolished, everyone to be given guns and armed guards at schools - and it happened twice. First one being Lucretia Hughes and the other being Amy Swearer.

Oct 25, 2017
jesus christ that is about the most painful thing i've ever read. you know the GOP-brain worms types will just say "HE SHOULD HAVE A HAD A GUN!!!!" though.
There's a reddit post with the text exchange from one of the victims of the Tulsa hospital shooting, and there are some of those in the comments making the stupidest possible 'she should have been armed' argument:

So tired of this all

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
www.cbsnews.com

I just read this article about the girl who testified:

Miah Cerrillo, an 11-year-old in fourth grade who survived the school shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, said she covered herself in another student's blood to trick the shooter into thinking she was already dead.

Cerrillo, wearing a sunflower tank top and her hair pulled back into a ponytail, spoke softly as she answered questions for two minutes on video about what she endured that day in the classroom, just two weeks after she witnessed her friends and teacher die in a deadly school shooting.

"He shot my teacher and told my teacher good night and shot her in the head," she said in the prerecorded video shown at a hearing before the U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Reform. "And then he shot some of my classmates and the white board."

One of the students who was shot, a friend of hers, was next to her among the backpacks.

"I thought [the gunman] was going to come back to the room, so I grabbed the blood and I put it all over me," she said.

www.texastribune.org

Fourth grade Uvalde survivor testifies that she covered herself in another student’s blood to survive shooter

Miah Cerrillo, 11, was among the small group of Uvalde survivors and community members who testified at a House hearing Wednesday, offering details about the incident and the devastation to those left behind.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018

This is funny. Surpirse. We came to check whether you can stop a gun man with an AR-15 with your books.