• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your response?

• Stay together but now they owe you BIG time

Votes: 74 14.3%
  • Stay together and forgive of all sins

Votes: 307 59.5%
  • Break up because of trust issues

Votes: 83 16.1%
  • Other

Votes: 52 10.1%

• Total voters

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Seduce the robber
PYwJ70.gif

Then take down my new ex. No witnesses.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stay together if we have kids or break up otherwise, can't risk passing on those betrayal genes if I can help it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm going to break up with him then hook up with his best friend.

Match grimey with grimey.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, fight or flight is such an ingrained evolutionary trait that I don't feel it's something to reasonably judge people over. And it works both ways. Personally I am wired for "fight", and it has gotten me physically hurt because even though every logical and conscious thought is screaming to get the hell away, fight or flight kicks in so I stand my ground. Really puts me in the mindset of not judging others who are wired for flight.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy that my wife was able to run away from the situation and that only one of us was robbed.

Oct 29, 2017
Unless my wife is secretly Wonder Woman, I would prefer her running. If she is secretly Wonder Woman, I'm going to be mad I think. I doubt it as long as she uses her Golden Lasso on me.

Apparently, this robbery situation happend to professional boxer Amir Khan and his wife.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
You're supposed to use the distraction to kick the gun out of the robber's hands do a backflip in the air to catch it and then with the coolest of one liners tell the robber how fucked he/she is before shooting right between the eyes

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I know the right answer is winning the poll by a fair margin, but its still wild the number of people genuinely answering that it is their significant other's duty to meaninglessly endanger their life by your side for no reason in a situation where they can't do anything anyway, and can maybe do something if they get away.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'd take a bullet/beating/whatever for my wife without thinking about it. My son needs his mom if it came down to the both of us.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Who is going to be running away at gunpoint unless you know the gun isn't loaded or the robber is a very bad shot? The most likely scenario is the robber would fire multiple times at whomever is running away.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I know the right answer is winning the poll by a fair margin, but its still wild the number of people genuinely answering that it is their significant other's duty to meaninglessly endanger their life by your side for no reason in a situation where they can't do anything anyway, and can maybe do something if they get away.
In this scenario they don't do anything for you

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
The thing is...

If I were to answer this prompt seriously, one of the worst things you can do in the event that you're robbed at gunpoint is anything sudden. That includes running. So, if I didn't break up with my boyfriend (and I still would, I'm real about mine), I'd also be enraged at them for doing something that in reality only increased the chance that harm came to them OR me (because now the robber is pissed, and the partner running is likely WHY I got fucked up and not just my shit taken).

EDIT: I mean, this is hood/self-defense 101. You don't run from someone pointing a gun at you unless you KNOW they're planning to shoot, in which case you take your chance.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Not going to judge my SO or imply that they "owe" me (wtf?) because their fight or flight instincts kicked in. What are we gonna do, bleed out in the street together like Romeo & Juliet?

Oct 28, 2017
They would get the gate. They didn't check in on me after? I had to run into them? The fuck is that? They didn't get the authorities? Couldn't be bothered to call 911 once they got away?

What kind of monster am I dating?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is...

If I were to answer this prompt seriously, one of the worst things you can do in the event that you're robbed at gunpoint is anything sudden. That includes running. So, if I didn't break up with my boyfriend (and I still would, I'm real about mine), I'd also be enraged at them for doing something that in reality only increased the chance that harm came to them OR me (because now the robber is pissed, and the partner running is likely WHY I got fucked up and not just my shit taken).

EDIT: I mean, this is hood/self-defense 101. You don't run from someone pointing a gun at you unless you KNOW they're planning to shoot, in which case you take your chance.
Yeah on a gut level I would be really annoyed that folks took off and I got hurt. That's really what the question is asking. I put multiple options in the poll because I think any response is fine, but for me personally I'd have to dwell on my response

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah on a gut level I would be really annoyed that folks took off and I got hurt. That's really what the question is asking. I put multiple options in the poll because I think any response is fine, but for me personally I'd have to dwell on my response
Them "owing" you because they fled is not really a fine response when it is your SO.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Wouldn't judge. It's better one of us survives than neither. Can't blame that survival instinct.

There was a film a few years back that dealt with similar themes called The Loneliest Planet, where a couple get a gun pointed at them on a trip and the guy reflexively puts himself behind his girlfriend for a moment, which forever taints their relationship.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I'd be glad that my SO made it out safely. I would literally take a bullet for them.

Absolutely no hard feelings.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I would want my wife to protect herself and bounce out of there, for her own sake and our kids. I wouldn't hold any grudges.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
You fucking crazy! You could have been shot. Also, that was amazing! Now give me your phone I need to lock my iphone and call the cops.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
it really depends, it my gf a karate kid that could kill this robber without breaking a sweat? yeah i'd be pretty angry

if my gf is definitely not the kind to be able to fight back she can go, i'll take the beating for the two of us but she is getting me some fucking mcdonalds and that's the end of it

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've been held at gunpoint several times and it's terrifying always, I would hold 0 grudges in fact I'd be extremely happy that my SO got away, people have different responses in fight or flight, what kind of an idiot would hold such an extreme situation against their SO?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I've been held at gunpoint several times and it's terrifying always, I would hold 0 grudges in fact I'd be extremely happy that my SO got away, people have different responses in fight or flight, what kind of an idiot would hold such an extreme situation against their SO?

This idiot. This idiot right here.

Because you running could have gotten me killed.

Like, no judgement to anyone who wouldn't leave their SO, but I would hope running would not be something encouraged in a scenario even remotely like this.

Can't emphasize it enough. Maybe it was just how I was raised, but this scenario wouldn't even trigger my fight or flight instincts. It would trigger my "Freeze!" instincts.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
If my SO ran they would most likely be shot on the spot, and then me shortly after
If the person doesn't shoot then they were just bluffing/afraid to actually fire the entire time
This aint no action movie where my SO is running and zig zagging and avoiding all gunfire and I karate chop the person and disarm them like that one internet cop person while they are distracted missing fire on my SO, we're both going to get fucked at that point, chill

Last edited:

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of like "I don't have to be faster than an angry bear, I just have to be faster than you."

As much as my wife and I push against gender norms, I think there's a better chance I'd be alright with my wife running than if the situation was reversed.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd be pissed because they ran and left me or because they didn't give me a chance to run and leave them.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I've been in a situation where people were being shot and the shooter was still active. My personal reaction was very much focused on self preservation. This was at work and it was just me and one other coworker and we were lucky enough to not attract the shooter's attention. I can tell you there was a moment I considered moving from my hiding place to see if there was any way to be of assistance, and pretty quickly my survival instincts overrode that idea. I stayed put until the cops arrived. Basically there is no reaction someone could have when being threatened by a gun that I would find cowardly or inexcusable.

I'd like to think that in a situation like the OPs if it was my wife or kids I'd be brave and make sure they were safe from harm, but will admit knowing what it's like to be in a situation like that I'm not sure how I'd actually act.

Oct 28, 2017
Tbf, what it would do? If the robber is still there it would increase the risk, if he got away nothing could be done unless the cop is Sherlock Holmes

At a moment like this just give your stuff
I would give up my stuff, but It's the thought on their end that counts. There are security cameras everywhere and I'm sure one would have caught the robbery and I could at least file a report to the responding officer. I did get roughed up too, maybe I need to go to a hospital.

My S.O. got away. Make the 911 call once you are free. I get running. I'd forgive them that. It's the callousness after that bothers me.

Remember, I had to run into them later. They didn't even check to see if I was okay. Didn't get help. Didn't even text.

Absolute sociopath.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If she runs off to get help, that's exactly what I would've wanted her to do. If she runs off and doesn't stop running until she's miles away from the scene, then she did exactly what I wanted to do.

Not blaming her in either case.