• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Released or not she's going to be radically different design wise from her OG design via a radically different color palette. Going from white skin to black skin is a drastic change that you don't have to be racist to take note of. If fans sperg out over the tiniest changes then why wouldn't they sperg out over such a drastic change as this? That's why I bring up the Sonic backlash. And I've stated both times in those quotes that racists are a vocal minority, so what are you arguing? And again, please drop the personal attacks.
So not just content being racist, you've now moved on to ablelist language?

Ben-Ou

Banned
May 13, 2019
Asperger's Syndome

Sonic

Racism

This alt account's journey in this thread has been fun.
Already edited out the ablelist language. If I feel I'm being offensive I'll always apologize, but I don't feel my line of argument is in favor of racism, merely reasonable frustrations of fans.

And give me a sec, I'll post another pic if you want to prove I'm not some white dude with an alt account.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Already edited out the ablelist language. If I feel I'm being offensive I'll always apologize, but I don't feel my line of argument is in favor of racism, merely reasonable frustrations of fans.

And give me a sec, I'll post another pic if you want to prove I'm not some white dude with an alt account.

You're not fooling anyone, dude.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It doesn't matter if the film is out, Ariel fans already know she's going to be changed from her original design to a radically different one. Why did Sonic fans think the new design was terrible? Because it was so drastically different from the OG game design, that's the point. The most Sega would do is restore his design to the one fans remember from the games, in live action form. Ariel's pale skin tone was without a question a core part of her design, like literally any other fictional characters with recognizable color palettes.

Sonic fans would get mad if Sega made him Red even more than they already did with the small changes they gave him. Why? Because it's drastically different to what they remember, for no justifiable artistic reason. If Disney fans as a whole made as big a stink about say Princess and the Frog then they'd just be racist, but Ariel fans angry that the character they remember is being drastically changed design wise are within their right to be upset without being labeled racist, ala Sonic fans that were outraged. It's a matter of drastic design change, when fandoms are know to go off over petty changes all the time.

Yes absolutely racists latch onto this to engage in their culture wars, but I maintain they're a minority of fans who are otherwise arguing in good faith. And here's another pic to prove I'm not some white dude using black face.

I Honestly don't even know how to articulate what i want to say. I'm genuinely curious as to what exactly people you think people are 'arguing in good faith' in regards to ariel. 'Man, I use to love ariel. But now that she's black, i just can't enjoy her character, or relate to her. I won't see this film. They ruined her design'.

You're comparing what is essentially a 90's corporate mascot to racism and vitriol that's been directed to an actress, who has not been seen in costume yet and that somehow her being black completely ruins the character, or film. I don't know what to say.

And nice with the autism insults. And stop with the 'I'll prove IM BLACK!'. It doesn't help legitimize your arguement, if anything it really shows just how much the point is missing you entirely.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

You realize proving you are real only makes the whole thing sadder? Like at least if you were a troll you could always fall back on the idea that you don't actually believe all the stupid bullshit you are posting.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

"An interview that was recently published has been edited for click bait and is widely taken out of context," the actress said in a statement. "The question I was answering in my conversation with the contemporary artist, David Salle, was about the confrontation between political correctness and art. I personally feel that, in an ideal world, any actor should be able to play anybody and Art, in all forms, should be immune to political correctness. That is the point I was making, albeit didn't come across that way."

Johansson also went on to clarify some of the points made during the original interview, noting that not every actor gets the same opportunities as their Caucasian, cis-gendered counterparts.

"I recognize that in reality, there is a wide spread discrepancy amongst my industry that favors Caucasian, cis gendered actors and that not every actor has been given the same opportunities that I have been privileged to," she said. "I continue to support, and always have, diversity in every industry and will continue to fight for projects where everyone is included."

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I think for fantasy/fiction roles sure, she should be allowed to play whatever role she wants. As should ALL actors. but if its based on a true story or set in certain historical settings where it doesn't make sense then nah.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WTF is happening here?

What ALWAYS happens threads like these...

giphy.gif

Ben-Ou

Banned
May 13, 2019
If you truly believe this, you are really living in blissful ignorance.

"I have a problem with her being black and not white, but I'm not being a racist."
"I have a problem with a radically different color palette to a beloved character of mine", it's not racist. Ariel isn't even real, she's a Mermaid.

And here's another pic for those of you accusing me of being some white dude using black face.

IMG_20190714_102940_zpsiqyrkewq.jpg

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"I have a problem with a radically different color palette to a beloved character of mine", it's not racist. Ariel isn't even real, she's a Mermaid.

And here's another pic for those of you accusing me of being some white dude using black face.

I'm VERY tempted to use this as my Avatar pic now.

Many thanks, now-banned alt account.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's as simple as, if the character had physical or racial characteristics that are integral to the plot or who the character is, that shouldn't change. Nothing about Ariel fits the bill. As long as she's attractive and charming and can sing, she's probably good.

There are white male characters that I personally believe qualify, (like James Bond, since he's a physical representation of the old-school British government and is now a representative of a bygone era) but I also would love to see an Elba Bond-like character, or even an alternate universe or "modern reboot" Bond. Integral aspects of the character would change, so I can see people having a preference there, but so be it.

Ariel is nowhere near as complex in this regard. Who cares if she's black?

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Omg, I totally forgot about this. Was Damon appropriating an Asian character too?

I don't know if appropriating is the right term so much as he's not really necessary to the story other than to make the film more palatable to audiences. The woman on the left should have been the main character.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

You're banned now, but no one's even accused you of being a white guy lmao

You're really shit this.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
can we talk about David Salle, interviewer for a sec because the shit he says is getting stuck in my craw real hard.

as if has made the interview available online, finally: https://www.asifmag.com/story/scarlett-johansson-david-salle-collaboration-with-as-if-magazine

Salle: Must you only represent yourself, your gender, your ethnicity, or can you, in fact, play beyond these categories?

Johansson: There are a lot of social lines being drawn now, and a lot of political correctness is being reflected in art.

Salle: Does that bore you? Annoy you? Buck you up? Cheer you on? I know it's complicated, there's probably not one answer.

Johansson: You know, I feel like it's a trend in my business and it needs to happen for various social reasons, yet there are times it does get uncomfortable when it affects the art because I feel art should be free of restrictions. What do you think about it David? You're literally creating art all the time.

Salle: We're seeing a pendulum swing. The pendulum had gone way too far in one direction, and now it's swinging the other way. We all agree it had to swing; the question now is how far it has to go in the other direction, and how long it will it take to reach a point of equilibrium. I have no idea. Personally, I feel that reactions to certain things in the arts have almost reached a level of mass hysteria, and the criteria by which certain works are being judged are pretty whacky, and yet those reactions seem justified to people of a certain generation. In the visual arts there's an almost oedipal drive to get rid of the people above you, to elbow them out of your way. And that's ongoing. I'm not a sociologist, but I think one aspect of the present mood is just the desire to get rid of people who are perceived as having been around too long.

Johansson: Hmm, that's interesting.

Salle: Do you know what I mean? It's partly just biological.

Johansson: I think that's true. It's important to keep focused on the work that is meaningful to you and to keep going.

Salle: Personally, I don't feel that artists, writers, actors have to be superior, or even especially good citizens, but some people feel very differently about it. I mean, we would all like to be good people, good citizens. But the conflict between the two is the stuff of drama. Besides, mores change. There was an article recently in the New York Review of Books about Oscar Wilde that illustrated this dilemma. Viewed through the lens of our current morality, Wilde was a pedophile, which was the way many people of his class behaved in that time. That is no longer acceptable today for obvious reasons, but does that mean we must strip him of his status as a great writer and gay icon? Do we need to reject him altogether? I don't know the answer to that, but it's possible for me to separate personal behavior from the art. It's not so easy for others.

Johansson: I think that's fair. I understand how it's harder for some, and we all have our own experiences. I think society would be more connected if we just allowed others to have their own feelings and not expect everyone to feel the way we do.

Salle: I agree completely. However, the problem is that some people's feelings manifest in censorship and therefore affect the lives of others. Censorship in the arts results in paintings being taken out of museums, books being removed from libraries, and films being banned because people had certain feelings about what they saw or read. Is this the point at which the left makes common cause with the right? This is the precipice that we are all standing on, for better or worse.

Immediately I notice that this is the point where this stops being an interview entirely. Salle is soapboxing for this entire segment, and Johansson for her part is just kind of nodding quietly and not offering a bit of resistance to what is clearly a frustrated rant about women, minorities, and victims of sexual violence within the art community at large and the film-making community specifically. He's terrified that old institutions are being torn at for no reasons, instead of for the fact that time after time we find them being run by sexually and physically abusive old white rapists. He's prioritizing the sanctity of art over the safety and well-being of minorities in the system who have time and again fallen victim to structural discrimination and a class of well-connected and endlessly enabled super-predators with their hands on all the money. And he brushes this reaction against such people as 'biological' while mocking it as 'whacky hysteria.'

Johansson does herself no favors in the properly sourced interview, which the Daily Mail (surprise surprise) took every step to not only make it sound worse for her, but completely shrug off the enthusiastic participation of the male interviewer setting art itself up as the victim in the modern climate of culturally aware criticism. Apparently to people like him, all this is happening in a vacuum for no good reason. He's just paying some weaselly lip-service to 'sure it should be happening but not too much now.'

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I mean it seems like it IS mostly white artists fucking up these days lmao...

That said, she hasn't been living in a conservative murica sociopolitical and cultural bubble. You'd think she'd be sensitive and have more damn perspective and common sense of wanting the best for the artform to prevent her from wanting to express something like that and inevitably/likely going all-in on getting defensive in response to the pushback. Her comment basically amounts to "how bout I play whatever fuckin' role I want" in response to her taking on roles with a whitewashing vibe lol. And then there's the phrasing and weird wording smdh. Comments like that imply a "my personal career trumps what's best for the art" mentality, which is something that any good artist knows is toxic and also an early sign of being retired to the pastures of creative irrelevancy.

I mean, I don't like it but I understand it. I feel like a good number of them probably feel like Scarlett but haven't had their buttons pushed or their privileges checked or threatened. I think ScarJo actually meant well until people rightfully called her out. Whenever people face push back against their privilege they go into defense mode like she did and back themselves into double down corner. Maybe not everytime but it has to be like 90/10 lol. They want to have their cake and eat it too but that's not how it works in this instance when where millions can watch you and hear your words.

She's still a woman in Hollywood and unlike men who don't have to worry about being old, women have that clock ticking which is still the shitty Hollywood machine at work. Dudes can turn down shit all the time because ageism isn't going fuck their chances at landing roles. At the same time she is pretty high profile so I don't think abundance vs scarcity is a problem for her. ScarJo fucked up by going full on #TeamWhite and letting her ego get out of hand and control her here.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
What a dumb bitch. Does she not understand we don't live in the kind of society where minorities have equal opportunity to even play the roles she wants? No.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It doesn't matter if the film is out, Ariel fans already know she's going to be changed from her original design to a radically different one. Why did Sonic fans think the new design was terrible? Because it was so drastically different from the OG game design, that's the point. The most Sega would do is restore his design to the one fans remember from the games, in live action form. Ariel's pale skin tone was without a question a core part of her design, like literally any other fictional characters with recognizable color palettes.

Sonic fans would get mad if Sega made him Red even more than they already did with the small changes they gave him. Why? Because it's drastically different to what they remember, for no justifiable artistic reason. If Disney fans as a whole made as big a stink about say Princess and the Frog then they'd just be racist, but Ariel fans angry that the character they remember is being drastically changed design wise are within their right to be upset without being labeled racist, ala Sonic fans that were outraged. It's a matter of drastic design change, when fandoms are know to go off over petty changes all the time.

Yes absolutely racists latch onto this to engage in their culture wars, but I maintain they're a minority of fans who are otherwise arguing in good faith. And here's another pic to prove I'm not some white dude using black face.

IMG_20190714_095028_zpsshrxmeyn.jpg

Ah, the good ole' "I'm allowed to say absurdly stupid shit about race, equality, and inclusion because I'm black" post.

Do more harm than good, brehs.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I don't follow movie news as much anymore, is this over Ghost in the Shell or something else?

Regardless, incredibly ignorant words, she's heard none the arguments, just that people were pissed.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I can kinda see what she's trying to say.

That being said I don't think she get's why she's wrong

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Sexism; Prior severe infraction related to bigotry.
On top of this she's not even the hottest person in the MCU anymore. So she needs to reevaluate.