• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so im guessing robert downey doesnt do tropic thunder if it was made today?

and im asian and i didnt care that she played major in GITS, i mean the movie sucked, but it woudlve sucked with a asian lead too, so whatever
Downey's character in Tropic Thunder is still a white character who's treated with nothing but contempt by everyone else for his decision to take the role. It's self-aware and lampooning the sort of ill-conceived transformative performance we saw w/ Johannsson attempting to take the lead role in a Dante Gill movie despite being completely wrong for the part on every conceivable level. It was a part where having an open gendered casting might be warranted because of the degree of difficulty finding someone who can pull off the part physically, but that hypothetical person is not going to be someone with the build of Scarlet Johannsson.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess she probbably made because she knows and wants those roles for award cred. Cause award shows love that bullshit.

i get why she is annoyed, she wasn't to blame for playing motoko in GITS, if you think the major should have been played by an asian woman you should blame the people who casted her. yet she was the one who got all the shit for it.
Everyone can get some, espeically the writers who decided "LOL JK, She was really asian all along"

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Scarlett Johansson is

The Last Nigga on Earth

3In8dh5.jpg

If you don't get the reference

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I never was a ScarJo fan. She is lucky she still has that Black Widow movie because FiTS and Rough Night bombed hard.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Downey's character in Tropic Thunder is still a white character who's treated with nothing but contempt by everyone else for his decision to take the role. It's self-aware and lampooning the sort of ill-conceived transformative performance we saw w/ Johannsson attempting to take the lead role in a Dante Gill movie despite being completely wrong for the part on every conceivable level. It was a part where having an open gendered casting might be warranted because of the degree of difficulty finding someone who can pull off the part physically, but that hypothetical person is not going to be someone with the build of Scarlet Johannsson.
Why do people always skip that, the movie wasn't subtle about it all.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
i get why she is annoyed, she wasn't to blame for playing motoko in GITS, if you think the major should have been played by an asian woman you should blame the people who casted her. yet she was the one who got all the shit for it.

Pretty much. I suspect they would've gave it to another white person anyway but there's always that chance. There's a great deal of white fragility in her comments though.

She's gonna get dog piled while Hollywood being a trash business gets completely overlooked.

Hope how you like white over tanned Egyptians!

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Damn ScarJo. I get the idea, but this just sounds and is one of the most privileged things you could say. Sure it would be nice for you to play whoever you wanted, but there are people of minorities that cant even play themselves in a movie about them.

Oct 27, 2017
She's right though. Although, extremely defensive and poorly articulated.

If they offer her a role she has the right to take it. How many actors are on record turning down roles so they go to minorities? Yeah she could've done that but I mean if they like their job they shouldn't have to turn it down? I disagree with the angle being taken in this thread. If your casting GiTS, Scar Jo shouldn't even be considered.

I blame the people who wanted her in the first place. Reminds me of the Nadine and Laura Bailey incident. Same with Zoe S. and Nina Simone (she's not dark enough!). Disney is at least addressing this in their live action remakes.
I'm sure someone could make an argument about being rich as hell and exercising personal restraint, but I'm there with you. This is a recurring problem because studios have their heads up their asses and don't see PoC leads as bankable.
Why is this clip funnier out of context? 🤣

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (1 week): trolling in a sensitive thread

so it's ok if it's satire? so if the movie was about movies and scarjo is playing and actress playing a trans, people would be ok with it?

i mean i went to art school, and if my teachers started saying you shouldn't do this or that because people will take it the wrong way, id be irritated too

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Playing a character based on a Japanese anime isn't the same as blackface, though.
Well no, it isn't.

But at the end of the movie it's revealed she was Asian all along, her original body was changed because reasons. In the words of Double Toasted, they just didn't just whitefaced Motoko, they white-bodied her lol. And I remember, before release, they were acting like this twist was something so great that was going to elevate the movie and justify Johansson being cast in the movie.

OP
OP
T'Chakku

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Pretty much. I suspect they would've gave it to another white person anyway but there's always that chance. There's a great deal of white fragility in her comments though.

She's gonna get dog piled while Hollywood being a trash business gets completely overlooked.

Hope how you like white over tanned Egyptians.
Who's overlooking Hollywood being trash?

And Scarlett isn't some unknown desperate for a break in the business. She's an A-lister with plenty of roles to choose from.

Some of you need to stop acting like it's unfair that she's getting critism, especually when this is her response to it.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
On the other hand, Tom Hanks played a gay man with AIDS in the film Philadelphia, and Jared Leto played an HIV+ trans-woman in the film Dallas Buyers Club. Both actors won Academy awards for their performances.

Hilary Swank played a transgender man in the film Boys Don't Cry and won an Academy award for her performance.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
"In light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting as Dante Tex Gill, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my participation in the project," Johansson said in a statement to Out.com "Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I've learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realize it was insensitive. I have great admiration and love for the trans community and am grateful that the conversation regarding inclusivity in Hollywood continues."

So she was lying when she said this?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so it's ok if it's satire? so if the movie was about movies and scarjo is playing and actress playing a trans, people would be ok with it?

i mean i went to art school, and if my teachers started saying you shouldn't do this or that because people will take it the wrong way, id be irritated too
It works in the movie because RDJ is playing a white douchey actor playing a black man. The joke is always on Downey's character and the absurd myopic ego it takes to think that's a good idea. Tropic Thunder is a movie making fun of movie-making and Hollywood.

If RDJ had played the role of a black guy unironically in the same manner as in Tropic Thunder there would have been mass outcry, and for a very good reason.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, Tom Hanks played a gay man with AIDS in the film Philadelphia, and Jared Leto played an HIV+ trans-woman in the film Dallas Buyers Club. Both actors won Academy awards for their performances.

Hilary Swank played a transgender man in the film Boys Don't Cry and won an Academy award for her performance.
Also, The Crying Game.

I don't know what you mean by "on the other hand", though. Are you referring to the OP?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It works in the movie because RDJ is playing a white douchey actor playing a black man. The joke is always on Downey's character and the absurd myopic ego it takes to think that's a good idea. Tropic Thunder is a movie making fun of movie-making and Hollywood.

If RDJ had played the role of a black guy unironically in the same manner as in Tropic Thunder there would have been mass outcry, and for a very good reason.

I can't believe you're having to explain this. It's plain as day in the film.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
"You know, as an actor I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree, or any animal because that is my job and the requirements of my job," Johansson explained. "I feel like it's a trend in my business and it needs to happen for various social reasons, yet there are times it does get uncomfortable when it affects the art because I feel art should be free of restrictions." She added about political correctness specifically: "I think society would be more connected if we just allowed others to have their own feelings and not expect everyone to feel the way we do."

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017

yeh i get that, so if that trans movie was a hollywood satire would people care then?

and i remember the trans community being all up in arms about hilary swank too, cant please everyone i guess

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
New hero of the alt-right! Finally they can stop making videos slamming Brie Larson and instead praise ScarJo!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Who's overlooking Hollywood being trash?

And Scarlett isn't some unknown desperate for a break in the business. She's an A-lister with plenty of roles to choose from.

Some of you need to stop acting like it's unfair that she's getting critism, especually when this is her response to it.

The criticisms are completely fair.

She's not offering herself these roles and I don't think her turning it down automatically means an Asian woman gets the part. This reminds me of places where I have worked that have said, "WE NEED MORE DIVERSITY GUYS" and it's like all white people for the most part. Well, then hire more non-white people?

Like I said, Disney has it right. They are, from jump offering roles to performers with inclusion in mind. There was no point in time where I think an Asian woman was considered for this part.

She shouldn't even have the choice, no white person should have it because when minorities get passed on these roles I don't think they ever had a say.

I don't get how me putting this on the casting agencies that are notoriously racist and ran by white people is defending her (famous people are whatever, I don't expect them to be good). She's wrong to accept but I'm not gonna fault her for getting offers when we know why she's getting them in the first place.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Tropic Thunder needs to leave some of ya'll vocabulary because you obviously didn't get it. At all.

People are gonna cape, as always. But lets stop with the utterly stupid when we're talking about her own statements.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I like that the "gotcha" on twitter is "Libs say nothing about a Latino playing Alexander Hamilton"

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Why not understand there are limitations within your career? If certain actors get bracketed into certain roles, so can Scarlett Johansson. She still has the priviledge of more opportunities because of her status.