• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man did it.
main-qimg-783896dbe02adccd017fd642f9ac9d07.webp

Iron Man gets a pass... I don't understand why people post this as justification for appropriation or stereotyping/black/whateverface...

--

I feel like, if you're an artist trying to portray a well written character in good faith and are not trying to perpectuate some negative stereotype or narrative, then the judgment you receive should be based on your ability to nail the part. In other words, if you want to try a Kirk Lazarus or a Miss Doubtfire, you best be able to back that up with some real acting chops and good writing. That said, I find it difficult to reconcile this with just casting a character with someone who's already "like" the character. Like... why not cast a PoC, gay or trans person to portray a PoC, gay or trans character, rather than someone who isn't any of those things? Name recognition alone? Why not boost the names of the people who are actually "like" the characters? Kirk Lazarus is an exception only because the meta commentary there (not trying to deify Ben Stiller's writing, either, here) - like the character is written a white person playing a black person. That's VERY tongue-in-cheek, and I don't see this being attempted ever again short of a sequel.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Scarjo is catching all the heat for this stupid decision instead of say..idk..the CASTING director or even the studio/director themselves?

I'm ticked they are whitewashing but In my opinion, The people who made the casting decision get the horns...unless scarjo muscled her way into the role like some actresses and actors do.

No one forced her to accept those roles. She could have said no, she SHOULD have said no...

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Scarjo is catching all the heat for this stupid decision instead of say..idk..the CASTING director or even the studio/director themselves?

I'm ticked they are whitewashing but In my opinion, The people who made the casting decision get the horns...unless scarjo muscled her way into the role like some actresses and actors do.
Casting directors are much smaller fries with much smaller liberty. The only face that anyone gives a fuck about is Scarlett anyways.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has she had every type of White role? She literally could be bored of playing White people at this point in her career.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What other role has she played besides Ghost in the Shell where she shouldn't have?

And she's sounds purposefully dense

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

probably because if you're saying something like this after having apologized for it before it looks extra bad. also her production company was on the project.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lol she's gonna walk that shit way back before the Black Widow press tour starts.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That means I should be able to play Scarlett Johansson playing other characters. I'm off on my acting career.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Why does she play all those roles? Wouldn't an agent not trying to avoid that she would get such a stigma of a minority stealing actress?

I'm as confused as Scarlett looks like through all of her movies.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. Can she be Scarlett Johansson as a Scarlett Johansson that is self-aware of her words and actions? Or is that too much for her to comprehend?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
She's right though. Although, extremely defensive and poorly articulated.

If they offer her a role she has the right to take it. How many actors are on record turning down roles so they go to minorities? Yeah she could've done that but I mean if they like their job they shouldn't have to turn it down? I disagree with the angle being taken in this thread. If your casting GiTS, Scar Jo shouldn't even be considered.

I blame the people who wanted her in the first place. Reminds me of the Nadine and Laura Bailey incident. Same with Zoe S. and Nina Simone (she's not dark enough!). Disney is at least addressing this in their live action remakes.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
so im guessing robert downey doesnt do tropic thunder if it was made today?

and im asian and i didnt care that she played major in GITS, i mean the movie sucked, but it woudlve sucked with a asian lead too, so whatever

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's because she keeps having the same problem come up over and over where she doesn't get the "yes anyone can theoretically play anyone, but use some common sense" aspect of it. She's oblivious to the point that "is she actually just too dense to even understand the argument?" is a valid question.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, she does have that right.

The right she doesn't have is the right to be immune to criticism. Because no one has that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Two things.

First is not getting Tropic Thunder a meme or the new cool thing?

Two, this tells me black widow is her last marvel movie.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
White people: I should be allowed to play anyone I want!

Also white people: Arielle is not black! She's white!

Oct 27, 2017
He thought he would never find love. She just wanted some water. He got drunk and took a piss on a tree. Coming next summer, a rom com that'll make you laugh your heart out! Adam Sandler and Scarlett Johansson Star in..

Oops, I fell in love with a tree!

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

I think you kind of have to switch perspective to understand what these people think.

They feel the other side is hypocritical because only white people are singled out.

So the Little Mermaid can be black but a white woman can't be the colonel.

Lots of white people legitimately feel persecuted because they can feel their waning influence in society. It's not cool to be white anymore in their heads.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't she going to play a trans person right after Ghost in the Shell but because of the backlash she dropped out? Smh.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised she'd have this kind of egotistical attitude, after choosing to be in Ghost in the Shell and then jumping immediately into that other movie that ended up getting cancelled, where she was supposed to play trans man.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

In general, white people can't come to grips with the fact that if the character's race is of consequence to the character, they either shouldn't be playing it, or they're going to be playing a villain.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i get why she is annoyed, she wasn't to blame for playing motoko in GITS, if you think the major should have been played by an asian woman you should blame the people who casted her. yet she was the one who got all the shit for it.