• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With that tone, I'm surprised she didn't say she could play an attack helicopter as well.

She's going to play Chun-Li.

tumblr_nmffgoN7IT1qbvx0xo1_400.gif

Nov 1, 2017
Coming soon The Trail of Tears where Scarlett bravely plays every first nations role simultaneously.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I expect her inevitable portrayal of Obama to be on par with Dee's from Its Always Sunny. WHERE MY SENATORS AT, DAWG???

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
friend of mine went to college with her. Based on what ive heard, she ain't got much going on upstairs...

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
She addressed was she called the 'political correctness' in casting without directly mentioning her controversial casting in Rub & Tug. 'You know, as an actor I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree, or any animal because that is my job and the requirements of my job,' she said point blank. She continued: 'I feel like it's a trend in my business and it needs to happen for various social reasons, yet there are times it does get uncomfortable when it affects the art because I feel art should be free of restrictions.' 'I think society would be more connected if we just allowed others to have their own feelings and not expect everyone to feel the way we do.'

smh, LGBTQ people wanting to be represented properly in film and opening up more acting roles for themselves doesn't mean Scarlett is going to lose the opportunity to play a Dog in a Dreamworks cartoon.

Oct 28, 2017
She's not actually wrong. There's certainly space for actors and actresses to put their own spin on characters. For instance, gender swapping characters has, at times, been celebrated and it can bring a fresh take on an older character. That said, just because it can be done doesn't mean it's always a good idea. Sometimes, the inspiration would be better off as true to the original.

Clearly she has missed that point. She also said this in like the worst way possible. She sounds like she's completely apathetic toward the concerns of others. As if art excuses everything. It doesn't.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She is allowed, the police aren't coming to her door to arrest her. Just as she's allowed to do that, people are allowed to criticize her.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because if there's one woman struggling to find roles in modern Hollywood, it's Scarlett Johansson, the highest-paid actress in the world.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Now it just looks like the only reason she wanted that trans role was to make herself look woke. Dumb fucking thing to say.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Of course if a non-white actor/actress portrays a traditionally white role......

I wonder if she'd defend them like she does herself.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Because if there's one woman struggling to find roles in modern Hollywood, it's Scarlett Johansson, the highest-paid actress in the world.
Now it just looks like the only reason she wanted that trans role was to make herself look woke. Dumb fucking thing to say.
This is straight from my ass, but the sense I get is that she wants serious critical acclaim, sees that addressing issues regarding race and LGBT+ seems to get that, and decided "okay, I'll do that then" while having a completely vapid, insight-less view of the subjects. Now that that's failed, probably because of that vapid view, she then goes on the blame people for not letting her win the same way she saw others do it instead of evaluating what she's been doing wrong in the roles she's been seeking out.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So she looked at all those joke posts of roles she could play and went, 'hmm keep the suggestions coming folks!"

Nov 1, 2017
She is allowed, the police aren't coming to her door to arrest her. Just as she's allowed to do that, people are allowed to criticize her.
That's the thing it's not just that she can play any role but that she should be celebrated for doing so. Maybe they can make a biopic of Vin Diesel and she can play him in a Groot costume for the whole thing so she can fulfill two of her wishes at once?

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
That is a really incendiary headline that doesn't reflect what she said (which wasn't good, but still).
That is a really incendiary headline that doesn't reflect what she said (which wasn't good, but still).

Glad that someone else picked up on that. She is still wrong when so few roles go to Asian Americans or PoC broadly but Vulture is still trash as well. They know full well the implications of accusing her of calling it her "Right" as it conveys an extreme sense of entitlement. She probably is, but attributing language like that to her when she didn't use it is still bullshit and deserves being called out alongside the criticism of her.

May 13, 2019
This is straight from my ass, but the sense I get is that she wants serious critical acclaim, sees that addressing issues regarding race and LGBT+ seems to get that, and decided "okay, I'll do that then" while having a completely vapid, insight-less view of the subjects. Now that that's failed, probably because of that vapid view, she then goes on the blame people for not letting her win the same way she saw others do it instead of evaluating what she's been doing wrong in the roles she's been seeking out.
I could see this being the case.

Specially now that every other non Marvel movie that star her seem to bomb at the box office (Under The Skin, Rough Night and Ghost in the Shell). Scarlet must the truly desperate for some success before she's labeled as box office poison.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Reading that it seems like she's triggered af, calm down ScarJo.
How dare they try to limit me to white peoples' roles!!! I AM AN ACTRESS AND I WANNA DO MY ART lol stfu.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair though I would like to see how she tries to pull off a Barack Obama biopic

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
She can't see the point because the whiteness is blinding.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys hear me out now. What if this isn't some social faux pas but instead she's hinting at the fact she'll be playing an Entwife in Amazon's upcoming Middle Earth series?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I couldn't be more disappointed in how she's handled this. And on top of the racism, she's essentially ruined any chance of a decently realized GITS live action movie any time soon

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
Her playing an Asian woman was dumb but I have no problems with straight actors playing gay roles. Being forced to pull out of that trans role was messed up.

Eddie Redmayne was fantastic in The Danish Girl. It's called acting ffs.

Volcane

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She was so preoccupied with whether or not she could, she didn't stop to think if she should.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Im sure her state of mind was not in the right place at the time of this statement.
nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

An extremely common thing that white moderates do is seek to look woke by "helping" marginalized groups, but the second someone from those groups says "Excuse me, can you actually not say/do that, that's hurtful to us" they explode and go "WELL I GUESS YOU DON'T ACTUALLY WANT MY HELP THEN! THIS IS WHY TRUMP WON. PC GONE MAD!" and then a year later they're making the right-wing talk show circuit talking about how they used to be a liberal but "today's Democratic Party just doesn't get it anymore."

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She really just keeps showing over and over again that at the absolute best, she does not understand the issues or the people that she wants to represent in movies. When you receive backlash for a trans role, don't go for some dumb comparison like being able to play trees. It's so insulting to be compared to plants

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Scarjo is catching all the heat for this stupid decision instead of say..idk..the CASTING director or even the studio/director themselves?

I'm ticked they are whitewashing but In my opinion, The people who made the casting decision get the horns...unless scarjo muscled her way into the role like some actresses and actors do.