• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Last year I went to New York with my best friend for biggest wrestling trip of our lives, Wrestlemania weekend. We had tickets to all the big events, there was just event to complete the set we didn't yet have tickets for - NXT Takeover New York.

I checked ticketmaster, nothing doing, so in the end I ended up buying from Stubhub, buying two tickets for 300 dollars. When I got them in an email I read through the fine print very carefully saying they could not be resold for more than face value, per New York law, but the original owner had paid just 75 dollars for them. I felt disgusted and ripped off by the sellers actions.

I did try seeing if I could find out who the original seller is as their name was printed on the tickets, but searches proved fruitless as they had a very common name.

Scalpers are the bane of concert goers, sports fans and even gaming, nothing worse than someone buying up a ticket or item other people are genuinely interested just so they can flip it to make a profit. Especially as most people who do this are effectively committing tax evasion in the proces, under UK law buying something bought purely for the purposes of selling it is considered a business transaction and as a result the profit is taxable. I'm sure most countries would classify this the same legally, but let's be honest the majority if scalpers don't care.

I really more can be done legally to put a stop to this, Ticketmaster have closed their own reselling site which is a start, but I want the ticketing sites to go much further and stop bot accounts buying up ticket/pre-orders and merchandise en masse.

Last edited:

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
YwuT7cwljyJ4O-I7oQK1rjR0xBgodLi3FnNMq_d9BFo.jpg

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Fuck, I just checked my ticket out of curiosity, got ripped off even worse than I remember, original buyer paid 56 dollars per ticket not 75 dollars.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Sometimes, it doesn't work out for them. Friend of mine lost money on a limited edition Lego set that ended up being not so limited.

I do however think venues should do random ID checks to put off people buying these tickets.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Sometimes, it doesn't work out for them. Friend of mine lost money on a limited edition Lego set that ended up being not so limited.

I do however think venues should do random ID checks on tickets to put off people buying these tickets.

I was worried about this, because the ticket I bought from StubHub still had the name of the original seller on it. Thankfully they didn't.

But yes, anything that kills off the scalpers market is something I am in favour of.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Just know you likely wouldn't have been able to find a ticket if not for the scalping. How long after the on sale date were you looking for tickets? There is certainly an argument to be made for market efficiency.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yeah scalpers suck. Especially when they use stuff like bots to buy stuff online quick only to then resell at a higher price. Wish something substantial can be done to cut this kind of behaviour.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I've scalped a thing before. I'm already a demon. Sold a $100 thing for $900. Paid off my credit card debt and didn't look back.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
On the one hand the ticket industry is in a real rough place because of scalping and sites like Ticketmaster leaning into the practice full force, on the other hand it did allow you to actually go the event when otherwise you probably would have missed out. It's not like if scalping didn't exist there would magically be tickets available for a long time.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I disagree.

More often than not, I'll find cheaper tickets on the second hand market than directly from the box office.

If the event is going to sell out, then probably should try and get seats ASAP.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
Scalping is fine. we have season tickets to the Rockies and sometimes you can't hit up every game, or someone in the party of 4 backs out and u need to offload that tix. in NY I believe street scalping is illegal which sucks when u get last min cancellation.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
...What exactly would you have done if you COULD find the original owner? Report him/her? The cops don't give a fuck about scalping unless it's "day of" and the scalpers are selling at the actual event. It's not enough of a big deal to bother with otherwise.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...What exactly would you have done if you COULD find the original owner? Report him/her? The cops don't give a fuck about scalping unless it's "day of" and the scalpers are selling at the actual event. It's not enough of a big deal to bother with otherwise.

This was my question too.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User banned (1 day): Drive by post.
Lmao who the fuck actually enjoys going to live events? Makes zero sense.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like scalpers, don't enable the practice by buying tickets at twice their face value.

Me? I don't care for scalpers, but if it's the only way I can attend an event live, then I bite the bullet and go to stub hub.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
If you are into collecting just about anything you already know scalpers are the worst. It's gotten so much worse since the internet and especially smartphones came around, because now every one knows what to look for, and if they don't they are seconds away from looking it up.

Nothing worse than when there are five pieces to a wave of collectibles and four of them are relatively easy to find but not that fifth "chase" piece, thanks to scalpers snapping them up in bulk like it's fucking Costco so they can sell them at many times their worth.

Oct 27, 2017
The worst is when you want a pair of trainers or a jacket or something and regular purchasers have zero chance of getting them sure to scalpers.

the stuff ends up all over eBay etc with some ridiculous markup

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As someone looking forward to trying to get RATM/RTJ tickets when they go on sale this Thu and already seeing general admission tickets going for $400, I am pretty annoyed by this atm.

Lmao who the fuck actually enjoys going to live events? Makes zero sense.
Lmao who the fuck actually enjoys going into a thread like this to post this kind of garbage? Makes zero sense.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
For live events, if you just follow whatever it is to see when tickets go on sale you should be ok. I've never had a problem getting a concert ticket.

Limited edition online physical merchandise I don't even bother with anymore, at first sale or off ebay. People find a way to get in early, or scripts and programs to fill and order multiples in seconds, or find a way to jump in front of the queue. I just say fuck you to those companies, they know they're just selling to resellers in the first place.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People were scalping the dualshock backbutton for like 120 bucks, it was crazy

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Not quite the same but when Games workshop released this magazine starter kit meant for kids (like ÂŁ2 for ÂŁ15 worth of models and paints) scalpers bought them all to get the models for themselves and tried to flog the paints at full price. They had to introduce a rule in stores that no one can buy more than one magazine and a bunch of 40k community pages banned people from selling those paints.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
A concert I wanted to see in NYC later in March went on sale last week and sold out in under a minute. The ticket site, Eventbrite, was botted to hell and the $35 tickets are now $300++ on StubHub. :(

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Fucking scum

Was super lucky to have grabbed a seat just a little bit above face on stubhub for that same WM. Met the seller, who was a few seats over, and thanked them for not gouging people.

Oct 25, 2017
The only winning move is not to play, really. You can only get ripped off if you agree to it.

Sucks, but there's not really an incentive for the ticket companies to change things since tickets are sold regardless.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Honestly, I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, I agree that people that use bots to buy up a bunch of tickets the instant they go on sale with the express purpose of reselling them at vastly inflated prices are wrong.

On the other, I'm not sure why tickets are different than anything else. It's supply and demand, right? Would you be angry with someone who is selling a rare game or book for a lot more money than they paid? And like someone mentioned above, if not for resellers, would you have been able to find a ticket?

I had tickets to the Hamilton tour for last summer. Something came up and we were unable to go (something I'm still heartbroken about). I resold the tickets on Ticketmaster and made a profit. I think I paid $200 for the tickets and resold them for $300? I figured my time waiting in the virtual line to buy them was worth that much.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boomer Bitcoins took another unexpected dip in after hours trading today, as demand for Wii-U and Wonderswan remained at a multi-year plateau. Beanie Babies were also impacted by the continuing slump, which Boomer economists describe as "just a normal undulation. You guys will be kicking yourself when they hit $10k"

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
People who justify scalping as part of a free market can fuck off. You're not smart because you bought something someone else wants so you can sell it to them for more later- you're a fucking scumbag.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
If there weren't scalpers, I'm 99% sure you wouldn't have been able to attend at all, so...what are you complaining about, exactly?

Like, if you want to live in a scalper-free world, don't buy from scalpers and you're basically living that life. Where if you miss the day they go on sale, you just can't get the thing you want.

But instead you want the benefit scalpers provide (letting people with disposable income like yourself get in on things late), without paying the added cost that allows that service to work. You're imagining a fantasy that makes zero sense.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm dreading trying to get Rage Against the Machine tickets this Thursday.....the process of getting in line to buy them in the Ticketmaster app is atrocious and stressful as fuck. You pick your seats and they're gone from under you before you can even try and pay for them. Then stubhub immediately gets flooded with tickets 4 times the price.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Scalping laws are worthless unless the buyer, seller, and venue are in the same jurisdiction and the police give a rats ass.