• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

Scalpers are selling preorders of Super Mario 3D All-Stars for up to £200

The "limited release" of Super Mario 3D All-Stars has already seen scalpers chancing their luck on auction sites, with …

Nintendo, friends of scalpers everywhere lol.

Gonna be wild once US pre-orders of Mario Game and Watch happens.

The "limited release" of Super Mario 3D All-Stars has already seen scalpers chancing their luck on auction sites, with copies of the £50/$60 game selling for as much as £200/$265.

As Tom reported at the time, Nintendo lifted the lid on its celebrations for Super Mario Bros.' 35th anniversary a few days back via a Nintendo Direct broadcast. Headlining the announcements was the re-release of Mario's three 3D platforming classics: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy. The Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection will arrive on 18th September, but will be removed from sale at the end of next March.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Mario All-Stars Wii was of any indication I somehow don't think scalpers will be that big of a problem in the long term.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are pre-orders unavailable or something? I just checked Amazon again and they're still open. Like where are pre-orders sold out?

Nintendo's gonna print millions and millions of copies. I don't see the big deal?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Weird time for scalpers to start listing things at stupid prices considering the physical game is still available to pre-order with no signs of it being sold out...

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They could make physical copies useless if you need to download a patch to play the game. Isn't there other Switch games that are too big for the cartridge?

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to trust pre-orders when they have a new trend of being cancelled after the fact and sometimes close to launch. They are preparing themselves for that possibility

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is scalpers trying to set the market value. It is not what the game is worth at the moment because you can still just buy it for RRP everywhere.

Until the game is sold out and people are actually paying this then it's totally hypothetical.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Top eBay sold prices are around half that price, and eurogamer took down the article.

Nevertheless, it sucks.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
This is scalpers trying to set the market value. It is not what the game is worth at the moment because you can still just buy it for RRP everywhere.

Until the game is sold out and people are actually paying this then it's totally hypothetical.
Are the Sold items on eBay from fake accounts?

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo said it would be on sale until March 2021, not September 2020. But whatever, I don't care about scalpers or anyone dumb enough to deal with them when the rest of us are capable of securing a copy with ease.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Disgusting that people try and take advantage of others like this but more fool anyone willing to pay anything near that...
If you want a piece of history buy the original games for a fraction of the price.

It's only a matter of time before a game like Mario 64 gets a true remake as well IMO.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's still up for pre-order on Amazon. It'll be a normal run game, they'll just stop delivering copies in April.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I mean, when you look at MMOs people sell stuff on auction houses that you can easily buy at a vendor, and they list it for 10-1000x the price and every now and then people buy it.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It also makes Nintendo's decision to limit the digital release more questionable but I guess they'll be doing their own price hikes for individual releases after March anyway so this works for them in a mean anti-consumer kind of way.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
This game will be readily available for the next 6 months without a doubt. I guess some people just try to take advantage of people that are jumping to conclusions. It's also probably gonna sell more than 5 million copies physically so I doubt there aftermarket prices will ever be all that high.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon (US/UK) is not shipping this item internationally and I don't see pre-orders anywhere where I live... These sellers know exactly how things work

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
If Mario All-Stars Wii was of any indication I somehow don't think scalpers will be that big of a problem in the long term.

It's not indication. That was Mario All Stars. This is a new, long waited collection that has been hyped for months and is the first time these games will be available in HD (or any format since launch, in Sunshine's case).

The prices are going to be ridiculous after the gates are closed.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Yeah a bit too early for this from the scalpers, pre-order numbers will already be informing the number of physical copies Nintendo are going to print upto Christmas so I doubt this will be in short enough supply until to warrant a high resell value

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon (US/UK) is not shipping this item internationally and I don't see pre-orders anywhere where I live... These sellers know exactly how things work

Yeah, I was surprised that I can't order it from Amazon for whatever reason. Shopto is also sold out.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Exactly. In my country we only find Ring Fit for a crazy price.

But at least this collection is available digitally.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I'm not sure why people are saying that it's a limited time instead of limited copies, the digital edition is time limited but the Nintendo website specifically says that it is a "limited-run retail edition". Once this sells out physical copies of this game are gonna go for crazy amounts, I'm not surprised that it's already started to go that way

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all the scalpers are out of luck when Nintendo actually manages to stock this adequately.

I guess after April they'll do better.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Just checked and as others have said, preorders are still up on Amazon. If someone isn't aware of this, spread the word. Make scalpers regret attempting this.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people are saying that it's a limited time instead of limited copies, the digital edition is time limited but the Nintendo website specifically says that it is a "limited-run retail edition". Once this sells out physical copies of this game are gonna go for crazy amounts, I'm not surprised that it's already started to go that way
That limited run is still something like 10 million copies, probably.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Has the game and watch been on preorder yet in the US? I want to get one for my dad for Xmas as he had a bunch of them back in the 80s...

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
If people are that impatient and that stupid to buy a pre-order for a such a premium, then that's fine by me.

Limited time release =/= limited release
These things will be as rare as the Halo 2 Collectors Edition with the steelbook

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
They could make physical copies useless if you need to download a patch to play the game. Isn't there other Switch games that are too big for the cartridge?
Those 3 titles in their original form amount to less than 5GB. I'd be very surprised if the maxed out the of a switch cartridge putting them all on there. Also, what exactly would they need to patch on 10+ year old games.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Those 3 titles in their original form amount to less than 5GB. I'd be very surprised if the maxed out the of a switch cartridge putting them all on there. Also, what exactly would they need to patch on 10+ year old games.
I'm just wondering how far Nintendo is willing to go to keep these limited? Sounds so dumb they will only sell it for a certain time. Before some had concerns with Disney was would they ever be able to lock away the movies you bought digitally in their Diamond or vault collection? Of course if you own the physical copy they can't do anything about it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I was about to make sure I had my preorder but preorders are still open.

Yeah this may be a limited run but I highly doubt there won't be enough stock for people who want it.