• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand the sentiments again scalping , it is not unexpected nor unrealistic that there'd indeed be people who do it to put food on the table/pay bills. It's easy for people to afford something worth 450-900 quid even if they are short on cash or don't have money IF they know that it's guaranteed to turn them a small profit within days. They can just buy 2 PS5 on credit and then sell it for a 20-40% markup and that's the decent profit.

It is what it is but if you have that kind of capital to invest, wouldn't you get better returns in other methods? Imagine buying 3500 ps5's worth of cost in bitcoin when it was 5k, and now it's 20k, as a random example.
It's not one person buying 3500 PS5, they probably have people ranging in thousands and each person probably sold like 1-2 PS5. Additionally, bitcoin was 5K is March, and it was 20K earlier this week. That's 8 months of wait to turn over a profit vs turning over a profit in a couple of days. Not to mention investing big in crypto requires a strong headgame and experience else you lose money. Easy guaranteed money vs volatile trading.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I ended up getting involved in this, I sold a PS5 as I ended up with 2 and the store made it difficult to return it, so I stuck it on Ebay and it sold for £960.

I then did some research joined a group and with their help managed to get 10 Xbox Series X in the recent Argos restock. I've sold 6 of them on Ebay each for over £800

For me it's easy money that was too good to pass on. I invest in stocks have a decent private pension etc. but this was so much simpler and the risk involved is almost not existant.

I don't feel bad, if the demand wasn't there the consoles would have gone close to RRP as I'm not putting a reserve on them.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
www.ebay.com

rtx 3080: Search Result | eBay

Buy and sell electronics, cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, digital cameras, baby items, coupons, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

it's happening with everything right now

www.ebay.com

Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 Founders Edition NEW printed image | eBay

<p dir="ltr">You are bidding on a new Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 Founders Edition printed image. From Nvidia, describing the 3080: "The GeForce RTX™ 3080 delivers the ultra performance that gamers crave, powered by Ampere—NVIDIA’s 2nd gen RTX architecture. It’s built with enhanced RT Cores and...

bonus:
The funny thing is, post ebay/paypal charges that seller's going to end up with a $100 profit or so. The seller would've paid around $770-800 for it, and ebay+paypal fee is 13.4-13.9%. Scalping on ebay seems to me is a lot of hassle for not much profit unless you are able to sell for almost 2x the price.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Scalping really isn't the issue here. It's these bots being able to put in hundreds of request per 1 normal person request.

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of our community have been furloughed, made redundant, or at some form of disadvantage due the pandemic," it said.

"These people have managed to cover their bills, put food on the table and supply Christmas presents to their children.

"It may be unfortunate that a child wont wake up to a PS5 this Christmas, but another child may have woken up to nothing. We have no regrets.⁠"
spidey.jpg

Shut your mouth Robin Hood , you're a fucking scalper, you don't get to have the moral high ground here

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting involved in this, I sold a PS5 as I ended up with 2 and the store made it difficult to return it, so I stuck it on Ebay and it sold for £960.

I then did some research joined a group and with their help managed to get 10 Xbox Series X in the recent Argos restock. I've sold 6 of them on Ebay each for over £800

For me it's easy money that was too good to pass on. I invest in stocks have a decent private pension etc. but this was so much simpler and the risk involved is almost not existant.

I don't feel bad, if the demand wasn't there the consoles would have gone close to RRP as I'm not putting a reserve on them.
Thats pretty cool not gonna lie. In the end, people can decide not to buy products at a higher price.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
User warned: hostility

Imagine being a scalping POS and bragging about it.

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
It's a luxury item and you don't need one to survive, so I ain't mad at them. I sold my extra console for 1200 and have no ragrets.

The people who were snatching up all the hand sanitizer when the pandemic first hit are the real scumbags.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
User banned (1 week): Hostility and Repeated Use of Slur Over Multiple Posts
Imagine being a scalping POS and bragging about it.

It's not a brag, just saying that it's so easy to do I can see why people do it. I can't think of another product that has such a good ROI at the moment.

I guess maybe sneakers but that's not something I know anything about so won't be looking into it.

Also imagine being such a cunt you call people out on the Internet for it, goes both ways.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
It's not a brag, just saying that it's so easy to do I can see why people do it. I can't think of another product that has such a good ROI at the moment.

I guess maybe sneakers but that's not something I know anything about so won't be looking into it.

Also imagine being such a cunt you call people out on the Internet for it, goes both ways.

Calling scalpers out for being scalpers isn't being a cunt lmao.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the people who go "well it's the people who bought the scalpers stuff that are at fault" because
1. It's victim blaming and suggesting those who get scammed deserve it
In scalping there's no victim and you're not getting scammed.
2. Suggests that scamming people is ok as long as it's on luxury goods
Frankly, it's probably morally neutral or perhaps immoral (but with virtually negligible harm when the scalped product is a luxury item), as scalpers reportedly use bots to buy up PS5s in bulk. They then redistribute the PS5s to people with a high willingness to pay as opposed to the random random distribution of regular stores. While the latter sounds "fair", you could make an argument that giving the console to those who pay more for it, is an appropriate approach as well as it is probably indicative of a high desire for the product. I think the only issue with scalping that I have is that the willingness to pay is obviously impacted by your income, so someone who has a big desire for a PS5 but low income might miss out on the console in the launch week, whereas someone with a medium desire for it but a high income has access to it. And even then, it's just a luxury item nobody needs and that you can buy 3 months down the line anyway. It's a mild inconvenience at worst.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I agree with their position. This isn't something people depend on to live. Either put in the work to get one at MSRP, wait, or pay the premium. The hate for scalpers is far overblown to me.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
"I spent $10,000 on PS5s so I could afford to put food on the table."

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Frankly, it's probably morally neutral or perhaps immoral (but with virtually negligible harm when the scalped product is a luxury item), as scalpers reportedly use bots to buy up PS5s in bulk. They then redistribute the PS5s to people with a high willingness to pay as opposed to the random random distribution of regular stores. While the latter sounds "fair", you could make an argument that giving the console to those who pay more for it, is an appropriate approach as well as it is probably indicative of a high desire for the product. I think the only issue with scalping that I have is that the willingness to pay is obviously impacted by your income, so someone who has a big desire for a PS5 but low income might miss out on the console in the launch week, whereas someone with a medium desire for it but a high income has access to it. And even then, it's just a luxury item nobody needs and that you can buy 3 months down the line anyway. It's a mild inconvenience at worst.

It's a gaming enthusiast forum, so the average poster here is "someone who has a big desire".
Some of them have a low income or don't want to spend the premium, so naturally there is a ton of hate for scalpers here.

That said, the way Sony distibuted the stock wasn't fair to begin with.
People in the US had a way better chance to get one than Europeans. Germans and UK peeps got larger quantities than Spain or Portugal. Some countries don't even have a release date yet, others will never get it officially.
At least scalpers don't discriminate.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is, post ebay/paypal charges that seller's going to end up with a $100 profit or so. The seller would've paid around $770-800 for it, and ebay+paypal fee is 13.4-13.9%. Scalping on ebay seems to me is a lot of hassle for not much profit unless you are able to sell for almost 2x the price.

That seller is making all profit because they are just selling a picture not the product.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a gaming enthusiast forum, so the average poster here is "someone who has a big desire".
Some of them have a low income or don't want to spend the premium, so naturally there is a ton of hate for scalpers here.

This forum is very likely to have rather wealthy users (centered around an expensive first world hobby). If those with a big desire and big income (like the average Era user) can't get their hands on a PS5 it means the supply is too low.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Scalping really isn't the issue here. It's these bots being able to put in hundreds of request per 1 normal person request.

Yeah, I think that is the biggest problem here. If you want to wait in line (offline or online), get a single whatchamacallit (because there is a limit to how many a person is allowed to purchase) and then sell said whatchamacallit for a profit, that is totally cool. However, the idea that someone can force market scarcity (or at least exacerbate it) by purchasing a large portion of the stock is definitely scummy behavior.

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I had someone offer $1200 for my ps5 at work yesterday. I've finished miles,demon souls and cod campaign so I'm seriously considering it as there's nothing to play on the horizon.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
It's 3:20 am and my 10yo son and I just got up at 2 to try and score a PS5 for him. He's been saving for almost 2 years. The only place that had them in person was GameStop and each one in town got a whopping two. We were the 3rd person in line at 2:20. It's virtually impossible to get one online as many here know. It kind of pisses me off this is the route Sony took. He's disappointed and has no idea when he's actually going to be able to get one.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Well im not sure. It's clearly a shitty practice, but was that even legal?

Scalping 10 consoles and 3500 are 2 different things. Scalping a large number does not just surf on high demand, it actually largely contributes to it.
And that's not over, mean they probably stopped at 3500 because they could not get more, but what if they re-iterrate as soon as the supplies are getting produced?

I would not be surprised there would be a law against that.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did you use bots?

If you used bots to get that stock, then no I think you should feel bad.You're cheating your way to profit.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This sounds all kinds of fucked up.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Price skimming has nothing to do with it. Applying a price to "perfect market demand" has nothing to do with people saying they can't help themselves. And not in a "ehhhhh I couldn't help myself, i paid a bunch more.", but literally saying that people CAN'T. Like, they are absolved of all responsibility, their brains couldn't withstand the compulsion, the ads were too magnetic.

Considering subliminal advertising is heavily regulated if not banned in most countries the experts of the world disagree with you.

In addition, there are people with compulsive shopping and buying disorders and other conditions who cannot control their own spending.

I personally know somebody that has this to such an extreme they have had to surrendered power of attorney over their own money.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 exists because of capitalism: Hell yeah!
PS5 costs $1000 because of capitalism: Wait, it's not supposed to work like this.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I shake my head more at the clowns paying the scalper prices than the scalpers themselves.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine bragging about scalping.
Now imagine the irony behind it, when those that participated in it, already have wealth but just can't stop being greedy on top of it.
Capitalism endboss, in the worst kinda way. Could have giftet these consoles to children hospitals or something like that but no, you need more extra cash on top of the cash you already have.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Calling someone a piece of shit sure sounds like something a cunt would do.

I wish I had the arrogance to call another poster a cunt while having the most cunty post in this thread (see below quote):

For someone who doesnt feel bad you got really damn defensive there.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I shake my head more at the clowns paying the scalper prices than the scalpers themselves.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The buyers create the market not the resellers. New consoles are limited supply items, the fact this happens is basic economics. The only way to stop it would be Sony and Microsoft charging the price premium up front themselves. But basically these consoles are underpriced for the launch demand, so it's a given the price will inflate.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

I wish I was this on-the-ball actually. Those are some nice margins.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jj-TaaNDKcHuEtSFJDSkvkhvW7n5Fbxc1KZJuxu6w3-TdjTshfsJMdgeGY2zdzyFMC12brhT

Congratulations on being the problem.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

It's easy to see why people do mean things to others for their own gain, yes. The hard thing for some is seeing the reason not to do something.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because I'm sure people that can buy 3,500 PS5's at $400-$500 a piece by the dozens are really struggling to put food on the table.
Anyone can max out their credit cards. It's not hard. People just don't do it because then you have to pay it back. If you're maxing out your cards for guaranteed profit then yeah, doesn't matter how poor you are, most people can afford a dozen or so PS5s.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
The buyers create the market not the resellers. New consoles are limited supply items, the fact this happens is basic economics. The only way to stop it would be Sony and Microsoft charging the price premium up front themselves. But basically these consoles are underpriced for the launch demand, so it's a given the price will inflate.
I would actually argue that scalpers have driven demand up by limiting the stock more so than it should be.