• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Can't imagine the mental gymnastics they used to convince themselves they are operating for the greater good. I get it it's a hustle, that's what scalping is. But pretending like it's not preying on the public is wild.
I mean they 3500 to increase scarcity of a product already scarce then add a markup. They are assholes full stop.

Some people rationalize their actions in all kinds of fucked up manner that the average person wouldn't comprehend. It's like someone who decides to rob a liquor store, they don't think what they're doing is wrong. They've completely bought into whatever logic makes it a justifiable act in their minds.

I really wish people would resist buying from these assholes because you can't have a scalper without someone willing to buy from them. The cycle perpetuates itself.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Anyone who buys something just to sell it is effectively committing tax fraud if they don't report it, because anything bought purely to be sold is considered a business transaction, and by law they must declare any profit made.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When you decided to do scalping and reselling for a living, it would honestly be MORE surprising if you had regrets over doing it with a video game console.

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
I guarantee you my flippant dismissal of capitalism towards an issue where flagrant capitalists are lying about their motives on a video game forum that a hedge-fund manager is not even going to read is not fucking "watering down" the issues with capitalism as a whole. Sorry, but a person doesn't always need to be talking about eating billionaires to criticize our shitty system or how awful gaming culture's blind consumerism is.

Then I suppose I'm confused by your take, then, and there's no need to become aggressive about it. I'm interested in having a discussion, not being combative.

I found the post to be hyperbolic and reductive because video game products like the PS5 are inherently a product of capitalism, so I don't understand the purpose in blaming a system for these exploitative practices when the system you're criticizing is the entire reason the product itself exists. Sony dumped R&D and marketing into this thing to make money. Not to represent any artistic merit or positive contribution to the world's culture, but pure profit for them and theirs. Regarding your comments on gaming culture, some of the blind enthusiasm that you speak of has to be laid, at least in part, at the culture's feet. At some point it is on the individual who is refusing to say no to a marked-up product that they do not need.

A hedge fund manager doesn't have to be a witness to your criticism for it to be reductive. Outrage is finite and must be handled with caution. Such overarching criticism on capitalism itself is better reserved for the elements that deal legitimate damage to people's wellbeing, not something as trivial as this. Wasting such criticism on scalpers of video game consoles are how so many feel the need paint left-leaning voices with titles like 'outrage culture.'

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
buy low and sell high. it is literally the essence of capitalisms.

unless you are actively advocating for communism you have no moral ground on which to hate on these scalpers.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I would agree if the product in question wasn't a toy.
here's the problem scaplers don't stop at "toys", when a product is in high demand they scalp it. They did it to hand sanitizer, masks, toilet paper, and other pandemic necessary supplies earlier this year. You are focusing on the current thing being scalped which is a "Toy" but the mindset is the same as all those other incidents of scalping

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol they didn't even try with that excuse. Why did they bother saying anything at all?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

unless you are actively advocating for communism you have no moral ground on which to hate on these scalpers.
Wait you're actually defending scalpers? I mean congrats on literally the dumbest take in a while I guess

But let's be real its pretty clear you're post was just a shitpost

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Scalpers are the scum of the earth. They bring literally nothing but misery into the world. They're the mosquitos of people, only bats eat mosquitos so mosquitos have some vague use.

When you decided to do scalping and reselling for a living, it would honestly be MORE surprising if you had regrets over doing it with a video game console.

Is that true, because I would love it if it was true and a way to be rid of these shits for good.

Why do all the dumbest takes lack capitalisation?

Unless this is a joke?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
If eBay and others would restrict resale to no more than retail prices this shit would stop.
You're asking huge corporations to not make a profit too then? Never going to work. If sellers are forced to sell at MSRP, how is Ebay going to make money gouging the seller?

And for what it's worth, Amazon shut down scalping on the new consoles.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Then I suppose I'm confused by your take, then, and there's no need to become aggressive about it. I'm interested in having a discussion, not being combative.
I'm really not interested in "discussing" this with you, but you typed a few paragraphs so I'll entertain this.

I found the post to be hyperbolic and reductive because video game products like the PS5 are inherently a product of capitalism, so I don't understand the purpose in blaming a system for these exploitative practices when the system you're criticizing is the entire reason the product itself exists. Sony dumped R&D and marketing into this thing to make money. Not to represent any artistic merit or positive contribution to the world's culture, but pure profit for them and theirs. Regarding your comments on gaming culture, some of the blind enthusiasm that you speak of has to be laid, at least in part, at the culture's feet. At some point it is on the individual who is refusing to say no to a marked-up product that they do not need.
Absolutely none of this has anything to do with my original comment, which is that the scalpers are obviously abusing the system to their own ends, or rather, they are actually using the system as intended (because the purpose of capitalism is to hoard capital; kind of in the name). That would be fine, but clearly they know what they're doing is morally contentious and can't take the criticism, hence why they put out this bullshit statement of trying to feed their families, which is even dumber in the philosophical confines of capitalism which- again- does not exist to make the world a better place. Just take your money and go home; don't try to guilt me into feeling sorry for you for being a good little capitalistic dog.

A hedge fund manager doesn't have to be a witness to your criticism for it to be reductive. Outrage is finite and must be handled with caution. Such overarching criticism on capitalism itself is better reserved for the elements that deal legitimate damage to people's wellbeing, not something as trivial as this. Wasting such criticism on scalpers of video game consoles are how so many feel the need paint left-leaning voices with titles like 'outrage culture.'
Yawn. For one, I'm not outraged. I made a flippant comment about some assholes and apparently that was enough for you to get in your feelings. Not that it matters. Even if I were angry, one's emotional state doesn't discredit one's argument. If I angrily say the sun is a star, I'm still fucking right; I don't care if some centrist or right-wing turd would stop listening to facts as a result of my anger. And ultimately, I don't care about anyone who would seriously use the term "outrage culture." I write what I want, however I want to. I'm not gonna temper my language or my opinions, especially statements as tepid as "capitalism sucks," to make people like you feel better about what anti-leftists think.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. "Hmmmm, should I use this £450 to put food on the table or should I buy PS5 consoles and sell for profit in order to put food on the table".

Just admit you're being scummy, don't try and claim the moral high ground. Mind you, perhaps people who buy scalped products are the real problem, no supply without the demand.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
What is
Lol. "Hmmmm, should I use this £450 to put food on the table or should I buy PS5 consoles and sell for profit in order to put food on the table".

Just admit you're being scummy, don't try and claim the moral high ground. Mind you, perhaps people who buy scalped products are the real problem, no supply without the demand.

You understand that in your analogy, the person now has more money for food, right?

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
I'm really not interested in "discussing" this with you, but you typed a few paragraphs so I'll entertain this.

I'm sorry, but... isn't that the entire point of a web forum?

Either way, if we're just gonna be talking at each other and you're not willing to make your point with some refinement, I'll just find another thread to post in. Thanks for the posts and have a good one.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but... isn't that the entire point of a web forum?
Yes, but you're not obligated to respond to everyone who quotes you on social media. And I don't feel like getting into a protracted argument after you finger-wagged me. Sorry. Find another thread to post in.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I worry that this is a loaded questions but I'll bite:

The individual consumer is solely responsible for their impulses and decisions when it comes to luxury items like a video game console. Adults with the means to afford such an item need to posses the willingness to withstand extreme advertising and community-driven hype, or people will take advantage.

And please note that I'm only talking about luxury items. Those hoarding and scalping essential supplies during a pandemic are horses of a different color.
Where does the individual learn "to withstand extreme advertising" in a capitalist system?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
"serial killer doesn't regret the murders". Of course they don't. They're still assholes for doing it and also fuck the people lining their pockets, but hey, the world is filled with scum so what else is new.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with scalpers is that they have the power to manufacture scarcity by starving the distribution channels. This is why during the pandemic doctors were wearing trash bags while scalpers were stockpiling face masks (and also why scalping websites like ebay took a quick notice to stop that or risk severe regulation).

This has nothing to do with how markets (demand/offer)and pricing works. And it's without a doubt a crime when it reaches certain thresholds (andends invariably in violence).

In this case though it's toy, the distribution channels were badly managed, and the victims are rich idiots who can't wait 2 months: so yeah, I agree with the scalpers there: there's nothing to be ashamed of .

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to luxury items it is as bad as buying shares one day to sell for a higher price in the next one.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
This isn't shocking at all lol

The objective is to make more money than they spent to get the PS5s and I'm sure they did, I'm also sure little Timmy's tears weren't ever part of the equation soo

what's the point of giving them more attention at this point?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Why should they have regrets? People enable scalpers. If people stopped buying from scalpers, scalpers wouldn't be in business any longer. I have sold many consoles in the past for massive profits, but I only don't do it anymore because I have a good paying job. When I was a poor college student or not making a lot out of college, I would absolutely do it and feel no regrets.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It's a mass produced product so there's no need to pay scalpers. I know it sucks missing out for now but please don't cave.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe you. These people were going to do this regardless if they were forloughed or not. And not it's a business for them.

Oct 27, 2017
What is

You understand that in your analogy, the person now has more money for food, right?

Obviously? But let's not be facetious here, we all know that if you're genuinely just trying to put food on the table you don't take that £450 of food money and spend it on a console under the assumption you'll have more money for food in a month's time after you've potentially sold it. The whole 'food on the table' thing is an attempt to make the whole thing more morally palatable - but why bother, it's a scummy thing to do but in a capitalist society, who gives a fuck.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got no money for food... but thousands for game consoles to sell back to others at an extortionate mark-up!

AdmirableSoupyDrever-small.gif

Scum.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they were fairly wealthy in the first place that have purchased 3500 consoles at over $500 each.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Can't feel too upset about it knowing that this mentality is drilled into people their entire lives by a shit economic system and an abusive way of living.

Bakkuma

Oct 28, 2017
They're no different to anyone that buys stocks to flip them.

And it's not like they are reselling something you need to live, it's a video game machine that will be available for years and back in stock again in short order.

Good luck to anyone that wants to buy one hopefully at a price they are able to afford.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The only thing all this media attention surrounding scalpers is doing is making the problem worse by showing more people that this is a quick and easy way to make a buck.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Can't blame them one bit. People know bought multiples and sold them to allow them to afford their own consoles. Personally I didn't find it difficult to get my pre order and find multiple pre-orders for friends and family.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing all this media attention surrounding scalpers is doing is making the problem worse by showing more people that this is a quick and easy way to make a buck.

That can sometimes tank the resell cost too at times as everyone and their grandma suddenly is competing to shift units.

Not sure why they needed to even comment. They already do hypewear like sneakers, so they basically just go for the hot product. Sneakers, games, and if they aren't already doing it, Pokemon cards. And especially during this season where more stuff is "must have", there's a lot of ways for them to put food on the table...

One of the best things Sony could do is a big shadow drop in the UK, but that scale probably won't happen. But even if it's slight, such that the profits become miniscule/eaten up by eBay fees, that's still something.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
it's really shitty. and it's really shitty that the reality is people will buy it instead of just waiting

Deleted member 279

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This second hand industry is a product of fucked up capitalism where we have no ability to create income through our labor. People are forced to cater to the few with big wallets.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
I would respect them more if they just said we wanted to make some fast hard cash so took to scalping rather than come up with that obvious lie.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Obviously? But let's not be facetious here, we all know that if you're genuinely just trying to put food on the table you don't take that £450 of food money and spend it on a console under the assumption you'll have more money for food in a month's time after you've potentially sold it. The whole 'food on the table' thing is an attempt to make the whole thing more morally palatable - but why bother, it's a scummy thing to do but in a capitalist society, who gives a fuck.

I understand your sentiment, but I think you are grossly overestimating the difficulty in getting paid from a console flipping. I picked up a XSX last night at 8PM, posted it, and had a buyer within an hour.

Until my new job starts in three weeks I am pretty much making the acquisition of consoles my full time job. I imagine a decent number of scalpers are in similar situations. It is a way to make some money.