• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically...

giphy.gif

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
Can't be mad at people taking advantage of others. Nope. It's all fair. Everything's fair when money is on the table. 100%.

This is a reductive representation of people's arguments and only belittles the folks presenting legitimate takes on why they have a problem with scalping.

There is an emphatic difference between profiting off enthusiast's lack of patience and impulse control and 'taking advantage of them.' Taking advantage would imply the buyer has zero control over their decision to buy or not buy the console. This is not an essential item, even if you're a video game enthusiast. More PS5's will come, will be available with more games to play, and chances are high they'll be less likely to have defects. You do not have to buy one now. The fact that game enthusiasts feel this unnecessary obligation to have new consoles at launch is what spawns scalpers like this.

Does it suck for those who won't have one? Absolutely. But those who pay these prices are not "being taken advantage of," they are showing an unwillingness to concede that supplies are dry and they would be better off waiting.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
We all want not to be part of the problem, But the reality is there are >>>>>>>3500 rich parents round the world alone who will buy this for their kid, who just needs to have it at any cost. Let alone anyone else who simply can't handle the fomo. It is not fair. Oh well.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How much were they selling them for? Because 3500 PS5's at an average cost of £400 is £1.4 million. Assuming a basic £200 markup, that makes £2.1 million.

That's £600k right there...

Oct 25, 2017
Idk why people get mad at scalpers. Ik people want consoles but it's just a "toy". I can't hate the hustle, if they are able to scam people into spending thousands on a product that is only temporarily limited then more power to them. I'd never get mad at anyone for you know, making money
this is how I feel about it too, consoles are way too cheap but that's part of the hype yet there's an demand for paying twice the price. Maybe retailers should offer scalp level prices and half or some of it goes to charities or to the workers who assembled our beloved toy.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
So they cant afford to feed their kids but they can afford to buy 10-20 PS5's each before resale?

Lmao.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've seen scalpers say they're providing a service. That someone was able to get the item at all because the scalper sold it to them. Because if no scalpers bought them, they'd all be sold out to people that are keeping it.

Fuck them.

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
If they are making these purchases manually and flipping them in the resale market then kudos to them for understanding supply/demand. However these guys are all using bots so f em

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
it's obvious they have no regrets, that's why companies like ebay and amazon need to take a stand against them, because scalpers have no moral high ground to see what they are doing is wrong

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck that food on the table horseshit. If you could splurge on PS5 consoles, you sure as hell can afford groceries.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they're blatantly lying about that impoverished excuse, but this is what unfettered capitalism gets you. Maybe we should find better systems.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
"You don't understand, we had to spend $1,750,000 buying PS5s for resale so that we could put food on the table."

Fuck off with that bullshit.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like you could've put plenty of food on the table with the money it took to buy 3500 Playstations, you cunts.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So wait, is this an actual incorporated business? If they're still operating under the heading a "group", they're going to be in for a rude awakening with the taxman isn't entertained with them operating as retailers.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
so you have to pay a membership to get scraps while someone at the top makes a killing. basically a pyramid scheme.

fuck them.

Deleted member 85982

Banned
Nov 17, 2020
I mean, they're blatantly lying about that impoverished excuse, but this is what unfettered capitalism gets you. Maybe we should find better systems.

I find this also to be quite a reductive take, if not hyperbolic. We're not talking about a hedge-fund manager playing games with people's pensions or a maniacal corporation running wild on smaller businesses. Those are true, detrimental consequence of unfettered capitalism that affect innocent people. What we're talking about here are exploitative practices that ask enthusiasts to either wait on a new console are pay above market price. Indeed, the PS5 itself is a by-product of capitalism. The thing exists to make money. Because demand is so high along with a target demographic not known for patience, more people are going to be leeching off those profits.

I support your viewpoint, I just worry that these comments can contribute to watering down legitimate criticisms of capitalism as a system. This situation is more representative of the gaming demographic's extreme lack of impulse control than mustache-twirling capitalist fat cats exploiting the little man.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
You would have to put an end to capitalism for what he did to be wrong.
He still a dick tho.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I find this also to be quite a reductive take, if not hyperbolic. We're not talking about a hedge-fund manager playing games with people's pensions or a maniacal corporation running wild on smaller businesses. Those are true, detrimental consequence of unfettered capitalism that affect innocent people. What we're talking about here are exploitative practices that ask enthusiasts to either wait on a new console are pay above market price. Indeed, the existence of the PS5 in general is a by-product of capitalism. The thing exists to make money. Because demand is so high along with a target demographic not known for patience, more people are going to be leeching off those profits.

I support your viewpoint, I just worry that these comments can contribute to watering down legitimate criticisms of capitalism as a system. This situation is more representative of the gaming demographic's extreme lack of impulse control than mustache-twirling capitalist fat cats exploiting the little man.
And what has conditioned consumers to have such little impulse control?

Deleted member 85982

Banned
Nov 17, 2020
And what has conditioned consumers to have such little impulse control?

I worry that this is a loaded questions but I'll bite:

The individual consumer is solely responsible for their impulses and decisions when it comes to luxury items like a video game console. Adults with the means to afford such an item need to posses the willingness to withstand extreme advertising and community-driven hype, or people will take advantage.

And please note that I'm only talking about luxury items. Those hoarding and scalping essential supplies during a pandemic are horses of a different color.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Pretty sure scalpers still scalped pre-coronavirus. Wonder what their defense was then.

I'm slightly less annoyed by people doing shitty things than I am by them doing shitty things and then being unwilling to admit they're doing shitty things. It's like when people pirate games and then give some long winded response about how they're doing it for some greater good.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I find this also to be quite a reductive take, if not hyperbolic. We're not talking about a hedge-fund manager playing games with people's pensions or a maniacal corporation running wild on smaller businesses. Those are true, detrimental consequence of unfettered capitalism that affect innocent people. What we're talking about here are exploitative practices that ask enthusiasts to either wait on a new console are pay above market price. Indeed, the PS5 itself is a by-product of capitalism. The thing exists to make money. Because demand is so high along with a target demographic not known for patience, more people are going to be leeching off those profits.

I guarantee you my flippant dismissal of capitalism towards an issue where flagrant capitalists are lying about their motives on a video game forum that a hedge-fund manager is not even going to read is not fucking "watering down" the issues with capitalism as a whole. Sorry, but a person doesn't always need to be talking about eating billionaires to criticize our shitty system or how awful gaming culture's blind consumerism is.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
3500 units is a drop in the bucket if the rumors of 2M+ sold-through are accurate. scalping is obnoxious, but maybe we should just recognize the absurdity of the situation and not look for people to hate.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
If they were in need of money that badly then how did they have enough to pay for multiple consoles in the first place?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Same mentality corporations like Apple, MS, Sony etc employ when they overcharge for products simply because they love profits. Expecting them to feel bad about making a profit isn't going to go how you want it to go. If they truly want to be like corporations though, they need to drop the stupid excuses and just be more blatant about wanting to make as much money as they can.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
If they were in need of money that badly then how did they have enough to pay for multiple consoles in the first place?

You know that credit cards are a thing, yes?

I'm unemployed at the moment. I've now bought and flipped 4 consoles this month. It's absurdly easy money, and the extra $1200 or so is incredibly helpful as SC unemployment provides a painfully low amount of support.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why would they? If this was the kind of thing that would make them feel like assholes, they wouldn't have bought the consoles in the first place lol

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Nah, fuck them. They're leeches. They provide no benefit to anyone and just push up the price.

More stores need to put preventative measures in place to stop them hoarding.
I agree that they need to figure out ways to stop hoarding but to say they don't benefit anyone is a little narrow minded. They benefit themselves. It's a "job" at the end of the day at the end of the day. It's a dog eat dog world out here. No one is going to hand you anything so if you go out and invest thousands of dollars and people are willing to pay then I literally see no issue with it. It sucks for sure but once again I can't hate the hustle

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's one of those things where I understand why people are upset, people hoarding items in order to resell them for huge profit. But if we're going to go after people for gaining huge profits from questionable ethics, I think there are places where you could make a much bigger dent. Ultimately, these people are small fry even if they're assholes.