• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
lol I had never seen them swim before. They are oddly cute.

And so, so very tasty. One of my favourite seafoods.

Also, 200 eyes? Cue Bloodborne jok--

200 eyes?!

I wonder what insights into the cosmos it could share.
Kos, or some say.. Kosm!
--Yeah. That. xD

Gorgeous fucking things. I thank them for their service to the plate.

scallops_0.jpg
Mother of Satan that looks good. 🤤

593.jpg

Last edited:

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's just the whiter part- that's why scallops taste so different from other shellfish that you eat whole (and next time you eat them, bite one open and you'll see no guts on the inside).

This is also why counterfeit scallops are a thing, which are just chunks of ray/skate fin hole punched into a scallop shape.
Wait what? How do they manage to pass off normal fish as a scallop? In my experience it's very obvious if you're eating a scallop or some other fish.

Oct 27, 2017
what would you do with these?

You've gotta soak it, similar to dried mushrooms. Add it to soups or congee or stir frys. The most common dish would be dried scallops fried rice. The scallops breaks apart into threads and brings a briny flavor to the dish. Also, dried scallop is a main component of XO sauce, a popular Cantonese condiment.

-IzvHyLWUA2CoYY6Zh2wN-oM_IHLRYH69d6-NYslcLBJEQ-bLq52ToFv02AMI0nuYyz_Yytay4gQqRGVcw1Y6R-yqF4ZQr3kadsQbkGvnIVek9OBYn7HK4tBYXGYU2eBsT2NBQ
g3BjQxhA9V5ePVOZtoCO_S__z6yNtp_Elt0HpYTlUOOSp9w5coiab9p3yuXHgDBwcQouKaTcFnOj2SXqGmdzkiSwxeqNqYXb_1Iy8Y7Uk0helg=s0-d

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like most seafood, I don't understand the appeal. They are flavorless with a rubbery texture. I always feel like people are trolling when they talk about liking them.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Scallops we just eat the muscle, which is just all meat. Also it's typically cooked. Now oysters we eat the whole thing, and we eat it raw. Hell we pick it up and eat it right away. Clams we also eat the whole thing, guts and all, but typically cooked. We eat all sorts of bivalves and other shelled creatures.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Like most seafood, I don't understand the appeal. They are flavorless with a rubbery texture. I always feel like people are trolling when they talk about liking them.
With seafood, or fish sashimi, what you are tasting is the texture. And you enhance the taste with a bit of salt via soy sauce. Or sea salt, olive oil, lime juice, and herbs in a chopped salad (many cultures have this). It's a combination of that texture and the added freshness from ingredients. By itself a lot of it is chewy like typical calamari for instance. Fish sashimi by itself can be amazing, tuna, salmon etc...but it all depends on your taste.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Scallops we just eat the muscle, which is just all meat. Also it's typically cooked. Now oysters we eat the whole thing, and we eat it raw. Hell we pick it up and eat it right away. Clams we also eat the whole thing, guts and all, but typically cooked. We eat all sorts of bivalves and other shelled creatures.
Nah, raw fresh clams for me, thanks! nom nom nom

(fried is acceptable)

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This thread inspired me to watch scallops swimming and I'm throughly confused now by the physics of them swimming.

I thought they would moving in the direction away from where the shell opens but instead the move in the same direction of the facing of their opening.

Anyone can explain this?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread inspired me to watch scallops swimming and I'm throughly confused now by the physics of them swimming.

I thought they would moving in the direction away from where the shell opens but instead the move in the same direction of the facing of their opening.

Anyone can explain this?
It pulls water in when it opens.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can they control where they are going at all? Or is it just a method to get to some other place that isn't here?

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
You can't just mention swimming scallops and leave us hanging! Look, now I had to go look up a video all by my lonesome.

. . .I dunno if I'm just tired, but this is kinda funny not gonna lie.

Lol
Me and my family scallop a few times a year during the season.. water is always so cool around the springs.. love snorkeling and catching these things :)
We go out to Crystal River Florida.

not me but this is our spot
youtu.be

Crystal River Scallop Season Was Terrible??? | 2019

In this video we take you scalloping in Crystal River/Homosassa. This year (2019) most people are saying that the scallop season has been awful and were comi...

youtu.be

Crystal River Scalloping 2019

This video is about Scalloping in the Crystal River Florida area 2019

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah mussels are great. I love raw oysters as well....that briny, seaweedy taste is so good.