• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, I never really cared much for what they showed of this game but reading some of the OP and more importantly seeing some of those cool gifs id have definitely checked this out if it hit gamepass.

Imo games like this and Phantom Dust could have thrived if they launched on gamepass. It's a shame they'll never see the light of day because even though they'd never have the appeal of a Halo or gears these type of games really help fill out a games lineup and give some variety where it's badly needed.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting for those receipts that prove that Scalebound would've been bigger than two record breaking IPs that appeal more to casual and hardcore interests than a Platinum Games title.
you want receipts that a cancelled game is bigger than some released games? Could you troll harder? Is MS even paying you enough?

So what your saying doesnt disprove what jez said he said that there was a rumor within ms that the funds where being used for other things. While it is good to get clarification that is not true it doesnt get rid of the fact that the rumors were going around ms
What he's saying is that Jez is spreading rumors that are flat out false. Specifically funding Nier. Defending Jez for that shit is insanity. He should never have opened his mouth in the first place.

Who the fuck cares if there 'may' have been rumors at ms going around with false knowledge. Even that's conjecture since no sources were posted.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
you want receipts that a cancelled game is bigger than some released games? Could you troll harder? Is MS even paying you enough?
Receipts that it would've been their biggest new IP. Genuinely look at the views of each title. Quantum Break & Sea Of Thieves had way better reception than Scalebound at every one of their demonstrations. There was more hype behind them. Scalebound wouldn't have been Microsoft's biggest new IP this gen. Why it's so hard for you to realize this is beyond me.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Scalebound wouldn't have been Microsoft's biggest new IP this gen. Why it's so hard for you to realize this is beyond me.
How do your words mean any more than me saying "Scalebound would have been Microsoft's biggest new IP this gen"

Except your words mean less than mine cause you don't even know why Kamiya being part of the project means anything. Fuck.

I honestly hope your getting paid for the amount of effort your putting into it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How do your words mean any more than me saying "Scalebound would have been Microsoft's biggest new IP this gen"
Because I have actual receipts. When the president of the studio you're stanning for has gone on record saying that they have "c or even d tier sales," maybe your not exactly paying attention to reality.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The point of Scalebound wouldn't to be some kind of 5+ million selling new IP, it'd be to pull in core/enthusiast gamers and guarantee the presence of a rare-but-beloved genre on Xbox. Stuff like that is all about spending money to reap goodwill - that's not saying that Scalebound would've lost money (I don't think it would have) but the point of it wouldn't be to pull in massive direct profits, but rather to improve the health of the platform's ecosystem as a whole. Sony and Nintendo both understand this element of strategy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The point of Scalebound wouldn't to be some kind of 5+ million selling new IP, it'd be to pull in core/enthusiast gamers and guarantee the presence of a rare-but-beloved genre on Xbox. Stuff like that is all about spending money to reap goodwill - that's not saying that Scalebound would've lost money (I don't think it would have) but the point of it wouldn't be to pull in massive direct profits, but rather to improve the health of the platform's ecosystem as a whole. Sony and Nintendo both understand this element of strategy.
Action RPGs aren't rare.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Curious if the design of the protagonist ended up having a far larger (and negative) impact than previously expected. People really did not like Drew at all, from the moment he was revealed.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scalebound wouldn't have been Microsoft's biggest new IP this gen. Why it's so hard for you to realize this is beyond me.

Monster Hunter World sold like what 7m?
Destiny/Division Co-op games also sell well right?

I'm willing to throw money down and say that there was definitely demand for buddy co-op dragon hunting.

Curious if the design of the protagonist ended up having a far larger (and negative) impact than previously expected. People really did not like Drew at all, from the moment he was revealed.

I liked him.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that MS released Sea of Thieves in the state it was makes this game cancellation even more baffling. MS even forced multiplayer into this game and now Spencer says he wants to make SP games...

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly hope your getting paid for the amount of effort your putting into it.
You really need to stop with this BS, trying to paint everyone that disagrees with you as "putting in so much effort" in order to paint them as fanboys. No-one here is putting in much effort, it's a forum where people are typing on a keyboard. The person reaching the most to justify their position, however, is you.

It's amazing how a game that had want, 2 public showings in total, both of which looked bad to terrible, somehow is now being painted as this once in a generation, holy, mesmerising, orgasmic game that would have rocketed the Xbox over the PS4 and been the biggest selling game of all time lol. This game took on a life of its own in some people's heads after the cancellation.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing that MS released Sea of Thieves in the state it was makes this game cancellation even more baffling. MS even forced multiplayer into this game and now Spencer says he wants to make SP games...
Exactly.
You really need to stop with this BS, trying to paint everyone that disagrees with you as "putting in so much effort" in order to paint them as fanboys. No-one here is putting in much effort, it's a forum where people are typing on a keyboard. The person reaching the most to justify their position, however, is you.
lol k. The 5 of you vocal posters here are more transparent than you realize.

Anytime someone says somthing good about this amazing game, one of you is sure to show up and convince us that MS saved us all by cancelling this trash tier game created by a nobody.

You couldn't be more ignorant - or transparent.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Exactly.
lol k. The 5 of you vocal posters here are more transparent than you realize.

Anytime someone says somthing good about this amazing game, one of you is sure to show up and convince us that MS saved us all by cancelling this trash tier game created by a nobody.

You couldn't be more ignorant - or transparent.
"Amazing game"?! That game you saw a collective 4 minutes of gameplay of? Loll

Mate you're having a laugh surely? If not then I want some of what you're on.

Shit, are you kamiya?!

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
Once again...why is this a black mark on Phil Spencer and Microsoft? Do you think they were all in a meeting and said "guess what guys, we have been relying on a handful of steadily declining IPs, we starting this generation off like shit but we have this Kayami guy who the gamers really like making a BRAND NEW IP for us. Wouldn't it be funny if we just like totally cancelled it and the nerds would lose their minds from now to eternity. CANCEL IT!"

Come on guys, use some logic. There were obviously very serious issues with the game for Microsoft to cancel it. It's called a business decision, and more than likely they made the right one. Stop with the "grr evil Microsoft!" crap and move on. It's just a game. Games get cancelled all the time.
are you implying than that CD3 did not have serious issues as well?

May 3, 2018
are you implying than that CD3 did not have serious issues as well?

Oh noooo, CD3 has most obviously had issues and I have barely any faith in it thrning out good but the difference is Crackdown is an established IP with many fans already. It is far easier to market an already known game versus some random one that is unknown. Same reason why the vast majority of good performing movies are sequels.

Ciaran

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Sorry but the main character and the writing are so incredibly bad that it would not have carried this game.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of my hype for this game was from the dev and pure speculation. I didn't like the gameplay shown, still was disappointed when it got canned. WellW likely never know if it was a complete mess or not.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Keep spreading that fud Jez

I mean, I'm not the only one that looked at what was shown, and was massively disappointed. The gameplay looked off, the game itself looked pretty though. But considering the fps that was shown was one of the worst I've seen...

I don't blame MS for cancelling the game. You don't cancel projects this massive without some serious thought put behind it. You make it sound like you're more knowledgeable on the situation than MS itself, which is obviously not true. Even if all the rumors are completely unfounded, how can you be 100% certain that they aren't true? People are just mentioning them as a possibility, not saying that they happened for certain.

Eddie Hills

Alt account
Banned
May 4, 2018
I mean, that is simply because people have shit taste. Jokes aside, the game is pretty hard to get into but once it gets going and the player learns to ropes... W101 is easily a 9/10 game bordering on a perfect 10. The only reason aside from the game being pretty brutal in what it asks of you that it isn't held in higher esteem by the general gaming public is because pretty much no one played it, and those who did probably just did a single playthrough on Easy or Normal. Which is fine, but Kamiya games only really shine once you delve deeper.

It's fine that you don't care but his track record as director so far is literally all gold. Check out his resume at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideki_Kamiya#Works

All best in class. The reason people were excited over him leading Scalebound was due to merit, not empty hype.

This reminds me of people saying ffxiii gets better 20 hours in.

Also the excitement if scalebound was limited and dropped almost every showing. Then suddenly it was treated opposite after it was cancelled.

Eddie Hills

Alt account
Banned
May 4, 2018
Another things is that kamiya pedigree is so over inflated almost anyone not a fan has to ask where the sales are in his games to match the artificial hype. Not saying he's bad just clearly not good enough to draw people in.

Then you have people blaming Spencer for a game greenlit by mattrick In the first place.

Then continued false claim that Ms forced multiplayer.

Then the continued false claims from many people pretending they brought an Xbox for the game. Suddenly. After it was cancelled. I put the ones that really did this at 1.2% of the installbase and that's being generous.

I mean look at SOT and Crackdown, games that are releasing after delays just like Scalebound. The fact nobody found that strange is baffling to me.

I'm sure MS had some fault but I think it's a pretty logical assumption so was Platnium. That's lost money MS isn't getting back. They wouldn't just cancelation game Willy nilly then say keep throwing money at CD3.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Keep spreading that fud Jez
What? lol Now you're saying I'm Jez?

I've never seen someone form such a strong opinion of a game being amazing and GOTG from literally 2 videos that looked very underwhelming lol. It's bizarre.

Go back and watch this and tell me it was going to be Microsofts biggest ever IP and GOTG wth a straight face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moFpyssHL58

That was E3 2016, their last big publish showing. This was the best footage that they thought would be good to represent their game to millions of people. It looked like garbage.

Last edited:

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Even if all the rumors are completely unfounded, how can you be 100% certain that they aren't true? People are just mentioning them as a possibility, not saying that they happened for certain.
i had no idea if the rumors were true or not. Just that they were unfounded, unsourced by Jez.

That is until JP, one of the head devs, confirmed they were 100% untrue on the last page and let us know what those stupid unfounded rumors did to his career for the last year and a half.

We can now say with certainty, THOSE RUMORS WERE BULLSHIT.

It's interesting that with 4 minutes of total footage, As someone pointed out to me, so many Xbox fans could say with such certainty how shit the game was going to be, how jank and terrible the animations, let alone the frame rates...and we handn't even seen dragon vision aspect.

99% Not even playing it once.

And I'm delusional for believing in Kamiya. lol

What? lol Now you're saying I'm Jez?
And I'm Kamiya remember? I was being facetious. Sorry if it went over your head buddy

Honestly I couldn't care less what the 5 of you think of the game. None of you even know what Kamiya is known for so it's hard for me to take you seriously.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Another things is that kamiya pedigree is so over inflated almost anyone not a fan has to ask where the sales are in his games to match the artificial hype. Not saying he's bad just clearly not good enough to draw people in.

Then you have people blaming Spencer for a game greenlit by mattrick In the first place.

Then continued false claim that Ms forced multiplayer.

Then the continued false claims from many people pretending they brought an Xbox for the game. Suddenly. After it was cancelled. I put the ones that really did this at 1.2% of the installbase and that's being generous.

I mean look at SOT and Crackdown, games that are releasing after delays just like Scalebound. The fact nobody found that strange is baffling to me.

I'm sure MS had some fault but I think it's a pretty logical assumption so was Platnium. That's lost money MS isn't getting back. They wouldn't just cancelation game Willy nilly then say keep throwing money at CD3.
Excitement for games others may not care for doesn't make it artificial, and Kamiya's reputation is just fine. Failing to appeal to mass market doesn't make a game or a studio terrible, the games can be judged on their own standing.

It's the same song and dance with this Scalebound's demise and finger pointing, but we can't ignore Platinum's success with joint projects for major publishers including Konami, Nintendo, and Square. Question is how things went so far south with Scalebound and strangely we still have no answers.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
i had no idea if the rumors were true or not. Just that they were unfounded, unsourced by Jez.

That is until JP, one of the head devs, confirmed they were 100% untrue on the last page and let us know what those stupid unfounded rumors did to his career for the last year and a half.

We can now say with certainty, THOSE RUMORS WERE BULLSHIT.

It's interesting that with 4 minutes of total footage, As someone pointed out to me, so many Xbox fans could say with such certainty how shit the game was going to be, how jank and terrible the animations, let alone the frame rates...and we handn't even seen dragon vision aspect.

99% Not even playing it once.

And I'm delusional for believing in Kamiya. lol

And I'm Kamiya remember? I was being facetious. Sorry if it went over your head buddy

Honestly I couldn't care less what the 5 of you think of the game. None of you even know what Kamiya is known for so it's hard for me to take you seriously.

Thanks for posting that, I skimmed through the thread but didn't catch it. I'm assuming the dude is certified prior platinum employee, in which case yeah those rumors are pretty much done.

I still don't think the game ever really looked good though, minus the CGI trailers. And I'm sure MS had a much closer look at the game than we did.

Again, you don't cancel something this major unless there was a very good or important reason behind it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What the actual fuck are you talking about? We're literally on the internet.

we can't ignore Platinum's success with joint projects for major publishers including Konami, Nintendo, and Square.
We can start with the fact that all of these projects involved Platinum's in-house engine while they were working with UE4 with Scalebound. Despite what Xeontech would tell you as apparently Platinum is perfect and would never struggle with an ambitious title, learning about a new engine while working on a new IP is quite difficult for any studio.

synaesthesiaJP

Verified
Feb 20, 2018
Turning this thread back to positive stuff - we had an awesome Scalebound reunion tonight! Drew and Thuban Mocap actors. And we FaceTimed Kamiya for even more fun times. So great seeing everyone doing so well.

And BTW - I didn't come to talk about my experience to crap on Jez. Dude was being fed rumors, so that is what he ate. I met him during Scalebound and he seemed super nice. I just don't want people to believe untrue things. Honestly, I'm glad that I learned so much about mental health and now I try to advocate to fellow devs on how important it can be to take care of yourself. I wish that part of my story could have been told on my own terms, but in the end, all of the Scalebound team remain friends on both the MS and Platinum side. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you want them to, and that is OK. Same thing for this thread. No need to snipe at each other. Celebrate your successes and your failures.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep my time in here very short, there is a book or two worth of Scalebound stories I'm saving for when I am old and gray, but I did want to say:

1) I love this thread. Seeing how much people still think about Scalebound makes me incredibly happy.
2) Platinum never used Scalebound money for Nier. I have no connection to them anymore, and no reason to defend them, but that is categorically untrue and that rumor shouldn't be allowed to spread.
3) Jez's post cleared some stuff up for me -- Where the leaks about the cancellation were coming from. Especially the one about a "senior staff" (me) taking a month off work because I burnt out. I actually developed an irregular heart beat as the game was falling apart, had a couple of really bad days holding myself responsible for so many things, and then went to see a doctor and a psychiatrist. Was told it was totally stress related and that I should take a month off, which Platinum was incredibly supportive of. When Scalebound was cancelled, this was leaked as some sort of pretense/justification. It really hurt - my medical privacy had been violated, potentially damaging my career prospects in the process, and the VG enthusiast press was more than happy to print it without question. The leaker was spinning a PR situation. I was living my life. My doctor couldn't believe it. I couldn't either. As an aside, I'm super healthy now, and I've learned how important it is to manage stress in a job (production) where you are essentially the baggage drop for everyone's problems. Everyone should really take care of themselves. Scalebound meant everything to me, until I realized that it was the amazing people and experiences that I'd had making it that actually meant everything.

Funnily enough, I'm wearing a Scalebound tshirt and probably going to dinner with John Omohundro tonight. Everyone from the project is still friends and keeps in touch.

P.S. I wish we would have released video of Dragon Link. Damn that was cool. :)
I really don't have much to add except thank you for posting this. Obviously your own health is not our business, but I'm glad to hear you're in a better state after what happened. Behind Kamiya, you were the first one I thought of when the cancellation news dropped. Madden's not my thing, but I wish you the best there, you seem very happy with where you're at. I have nothing but respect for you and the team you've worked with in the past. I appreciate all you've done (especially the OST for MadWorld and Max Anarchy)!

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Turning this thread back to positive stuff - we had an awesome Scalebound reunion tonight! Drew and Thuban Mocap actors. And we FaceTimed Kamiya for even more fun times. So great seeing everyone doing so well.

And BTW - I didn't come to talk about my experience to crap on Jez. Dude was being fed rumors, so that is what he ate. I met him during Scalebound and he seemed super nice. I just don't want people to believe untrue things. Honestly, I'm glad that I learned so much about mental health and now I try to advocate to fellow devs on how important it can be to take care of yourself. I wish that part of my story could have been told on my own terms, but in the end, all of the Scalebound team remain friends on both the MS and Platinum side. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you want them to, and that is OK. Same thing for this thread. No need to snipe at each other. Celebrate your successes and your failures.
Pure class my friend.

You are very cool to hang out in a place like this with all the vitrol some people like to spew. Seriously, thank you for your hard work and sacrifice. I'm really sorry it didn't work out for you guys.

I was a little over hyped for the premise of this game as you can tell. Everything about it was intriguing to me. Despite the naysayers around here, I thought it looked awesome even in the early stages. Huge monster battles in between Dragoon sections and DMC character action, it was just too good to be true apparently.

Very glad to hear all of you are still friends. Gives me a little hope someone might be able to salvage somthing of this project one day.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

That's so great to hear, and also that your health has gotten better. When a game this big fails to materialize, there's a strong desire within the community to pin the blame on someone, because people want to make sense of what happened (and when the game in question is also a platform exclusive, there are often other motivations as well). I'm reminded of another related case, the original version of Metal Gear Rising that was scrapped, and Platinum was brought in to salvage the project. It's not that the Kojima Productions team was incompetent or that they didn't have enough passion for the game they were building, but like you said, sometimes things just don't work out, despite the best of everyone's intentions. Of course, Scalebound's story was a different one, and I do hope that we get to hear more about it one day.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Fantastic OP! I'm glad someone bumped this thread so I could read all of this. It's the most I've seen or heard of Scalebound.

Looked like it could have been really fun. Fuck Microsoft for canceling this. Seriously.

Could someone else fund this? Crowd funding? Sony? Could Microsoft come back to it?

I guess it's more likely that the teams involved with this probably moved on right?

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fantastic OP! I'm glad someone bumped this thread so I could read all of this. It's the most I've seen or heard of Scalebound.

Looked like it could have been really fun. Fuck Microsoft for canceling this. Seriously.

Could someone else fund this? Crowd funding? Sony? Could Microsoft come back to it?

I guess it's more likely that the teams involved with this probably moved on right?
For the bolded, get out of here with that. Games that are looking good and close to being finished don't get cancelled. That says all that needs to be said

MS own the IP, so no, Sony or crowd funding can't do anything. MS are the only ones that can.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
For the bolded, get out of here with that. Games that are looking good and close to being finished don't get cancelled. That says all that needs to be said

MS own the IP, so no, Sony or crowd funding can't do anything. MS are the only ones that can.

If there was any reason it was canceled it was this based on what I read in the OP. Given Kamiyas track record, MS could have given him more time to do what he needed to. Instead we're left with a system which needs good exclusive games with very few of them.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
An ex worker of Platinum come here and say the development simply went wrong, and that it's nobody (enterely) fault, and people are going to still pointing, and blaming, and complaining. : /

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If we were being honest in this thread it looked pretty rough every time they showed it. Rougher than ReCore launched. It wouldn't have been the great title that MS was missing, and it wouldn't have been an answer to what Xbox's problem was at the time. (power, remember? that's when it was all about the Ps, before Pro didn't get the last minute bump and it was known the X would be quite superior.) It's framerate even when shown off looked not great and wouldn't have helped with the "xbox is weak" at all. Rough as it likely would've been at launch sonyfan media would have shredded it like they do any flaws in Xbox games. Giving passes for flaws is reserved for Sony and Ninty 1st party games.

Fable Legends was actually the game to mourn losing. Not Scalebound.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
If we were being honest in this thread it looked pretty rough every time they showed it. Rougher than ReCore launched. It wouldn't have been the great title that MS was missing, and it wouldn't have been an answer to what Xbox's problem was at the time. (power, remember? that's when it was all about the Ps, before Pro didn't get the last minute bump and it was known the X would be quite superior.) It's framerate even when shown off looked not great and wouldn't have helped with the "xbox is weak" at all. Rough as it likely would've been at launch sonyfan media would have shredded it like they do any flaws in Xbox games. Giving passes for flaws is reserved for Sony and Ninty 1st party games.

Fable Legends was actually the game to mourn losing. Not Scalebound.

As someone who actually played Fable: Legends.....

Nah.

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
As someone who actually played Fable: Legends.....

Nah.

I mean, there's no accounting for bad taste, but yea as someone who also played Fable: Legends, I'm among many that were sad to see it go. It was very Fable despite its change in format and I think it had way more potential than Scalebound. Certainly had gobs and gobs more polish.

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
Probably cheaper to fix.
Cheaper? aren't they creating a whole new cloud gaming division for this game? I can't imagine that will be cheaper.

Oh noooo, CD3 has most obviously had issues and I have barely any faith in it thrning out good but the difference is Crackdown is an established IP with many fans already. It is far easier to market an already known game versus some random one that is unknown. Same reason why the vast majority of good performing movies are sequels.
This contradicts the whole "vocal minority" online that Xbox is Halo, Gears only. If the only thing they are willing to following through on is established IP they will do nothing but continue what Don Mattrick started first party wise at least. Part of the reason Xbox is losing is the lack of appealing exclusives. The first appealing new IP in awhile and it got the axe. I know Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break were new did not sell well, but at least they had the small install base as an excuse at that time

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
If there was any reason it was canceled it was this based on what I read in the OP. Given Kamiyas track record, MS could have given him more time to do what he needed to. Instead we're left with a system which needs good exclusive games with very few of them.

Really? There could be any number of reasons it was cancelled, and you're dead set on simply blaming one side? In terms of him never making a bad game, was he at all involved in the Legend of Korra game, or was that an entirely different team in the company? Actually asking, as I don't really know.

Also, while Platinum games hasn't made a terrible game before (not counting Korra), that doesn't mean every single game they make is amazing. Look at Star Fox Zero, not really that good of a game. Again, I'm of the opinion that you don't cancel something this major and deal with all the public image and financial consequences without good reason.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Really? There could be any number of reasons it was cancelled, and you're dead set on simply blaming one side? In terms of him never making a bad game, was he at all involved in the Legend of Korra game, or was that an entirely different team in the company? Actually asking, as I don't really know.

Also, while Platinum games hasn't made a terrible game before (not counting Korra), that doesn't mean every single game they make is amazing. Look at Star Fox Zero, not really that good of a game. Again, I'm of the opinion that you don't cancel something this major and deal with all the public image and financial consequences without good reason.

I blame Microsoft until more info comes out from either camp, because MS seems to have a history of canceling games. Fable Legends, True Fantasy Live Online, Phantom Dust, Kameo 2, Rare Racers, and I'm sure others.