• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
On stage at E3 2014, Microsoft revealed a project helmed by famed developer Platinum games to be released on their newly announced Xbox One console, an open world Action-RPG directly lead by Hideki Kamiya, one of the greatest makers of action video games to ever grace the medium.

On January 9th, 2017, a little under 3 years later, the project was canceled, the official website was removed, and for many, a game that seemed the stuff of dreams was forever lost.

The purpose of this thread is to serve as hub where people who were interested in this project can come and learn about the video game that would have been known as Scalebound.

I. Origins

Upon the completion of Bayonetta in 2009, Hideki Kamiya began discussing a longtime dream project of his with the team at Platinum. Originally starting as a dinosaur filled motion control game for the Nintendo Wii, it actually wasn't until much later that the version of the game we would eventually see would be started. During these preliminary stages, the protagonist of the project was set to be a young girl, and would see the player take a much more reserved role in combat. The child's frailty would make using the dragon as a conduit to defend her from the world around her the focus of the gameplay, something not dissimilar to a title like The Last Guardian.

"When they first started, the idea was for a Wii game and we wanted to use a Wii remote to do the orders for the dinosaurs...You were in control of the dinosaurs, you were ordering the dinosaurs around, and they'd do cool things. Then after we made Bayonetta, we started the prototype. The first thing that I made a change to was making it a dragon game."

-Hideki Kamiya

However, the game was simply not destined for full-scale development at that point in time. Platinum began crafting the prototype on PC, where they realized the ambition and the scope of the game made releasing on the current generation of consoles not a possibility without serious compromise, a decision Platinum did not intend to make:

"When we first started prototyping, we didn't have a clear design. We knew we wanted a dragon and a monster fighting with each other and we just worked with that as the focus. ... At last, we'd got our prototype far enough that we could fly around this island we built on a dragon. And that's when the project was put on hold, that very day."

-Hideki Kamiya

While Scalebound was put on the backburner, they shifted focus and began development on what would eventually become the Wii U-Exclusive The Wonderful 101. Following that titles release in 2013, Platinum had a newfound interest in working with new partners in the industry. It's then when Atsushi Inaba, former CEO of Clover Studios and producer at Platinum, suggested pitching the idea to Microsoft. From their perspective, the deal was advantageous: On Microsoft's side, they would receive a AAA product from Platinum to promote their console with, meanwhile Platinum would gain experience working with a big western publisher on a AAA project, while also getting to work on a longtime passion project.

II. The World Of

Scalebound's setting was going to be the world of Draconis, a fantasy-inspired world filled with giant monsters, knights, and floating islands. Speaking to the origins of the designs, Art Designer for the project Yeng-Kee Cho discussed there were originally several themes Draconis was experimented with, including both a more sci-fi inspired world as well as a steampunk approach. The decision to focus on a more fantasy setting arose from an iterative process the art team followed, as well as an interesting although minor clash in how to approach the aesthetics:

"As an artist imagining this world filled with fantastic things like swords, dragons and monsters, I have this tendency to want to make everything look as cool as I possibly can. I wanted to draw a dragon with spikes, with a design that would make you say "wow, awesome" when you see it. But coolness wasn't what Kamiya-san was after. He wanted something closer to an actual living thing. He told me "look at some real animals. They aren't 'cool'. They're wild and alive. Design me something like that", but even after Kamiya said that I still made them look pretty cool, we fought over it quite a bit. Since then, I think i've come to understand the direction that Kamiya san wants to take."

-Yeng-Kee Cho

"To elaborate on one thing, we tried lots of designs for the world of Scalebound, and for the dragons as well...But as we designed the world we thought "How can we balance what everyone imagines when they hear dragon, knight, or hydra, with the effects of the pulse, to create a memorable setting for Draconis? Rather than go for off the wall designs that deliberately goes against people's expectations we want to bring the player the knights, dragons and so on that they've always wanted to see."

-Hideki Kamiya

Governing the world of Draconis was a mysterious energy known as "The Pulse", compared by the lead art designer to Star Wars "The Force", in that it's a defining energy that forms the base for the entire universe. The pulse is both a literal and figurative shaper of the world of the Draconis, being responsible for some of its more exotic features like the floating masses of earth that decorated the skyline as well as bearing responsibility for the situation that found our main character in this foreign land, although the specific details on why or how were never revealed.

Early concept art of the protagonist:

tumblr_nsmmc3ObYg1qz5g4uo1_500.jpg

Speaking of the protagonist of the story, players would have been in control of a fashionably questionable young man named Drew. While his in-game backstory remained sparse, the character of Drew was born when Platinum desired to increase the players sense of immersion while in the world of Draconis. Drew was from our reality, a young man thrust into a foreign and hostile world, and like many young people around Drew's age his character was reckless and hot-headed, a result of the overestimation of his youth. From the footage we had of the game in-action, this certainly seemed to be an important theme that would have been explored in the final game. (For those curious, Drew's VA was actor John Omohundro.)

Growing up heavily interested in the worlds of fantasy inspired RPG's, Kamiya had always wanted to create a game where the player controlled character would fight alongside a dragon, and so the dinosaur from the original version of Scalebound was switched to a dragon. Partnering up with Drew was to be Thuban, a majestic dragon that is the last of its kind in Draconis. Even less was known about Thuban's backstory, but what was known is that the dynamic between these two characters is what would have formed the backbone of the game, especially considering they were linked together (no doubt due to the aforementioned "Pulse") in quite a serious manner: If Thuban died, so did Drew:

TornEllipticalFrogmouth.gif

As Drew grew, both in terms of power and his development as a character, Thuban was to be present and grow right alongside him. More than just a story however, the partnership between the two would have been represented in-game in several ways, such as the banter between them as they wreak havoc on a battleground, or Drew's mysterious dragon arm, which acted as an in-game health meter for Thuban.

Fun fact: Thuban, for those interested in astronomy, is a star in the constellation Draco. That stars Bayer designation? Alpha Draconis.

One of the more interesting pieces of gameplay showing the extent of Drew and Thuban's relationship came from the live demonstration at the Xbox fanfest in Tokyo towards the end of 2015. During the demonstration, Hideki Kamiya (who was playing live) mistakenly caused the mantis monster from previously released gameplay demos to jump off the in-game cliff, killing itself before he could show off Drews "dragon mode" and Thuban's "ultimate attack". While figuring out the best way to show off Drews fighting abilities given the incident, Kamiya decided to make Drew attack Thuban.

And the result? Thuban wasn't happy:
ReadyLightIntermediateegret.gif

III. Gameplay

As stated above, Scalebound was an action role playing game first and foremost, so those who came no doubt interested in the hundred-hit combo style of action game PG gained fame with would have probably been served better elsewhere. This is not to say the combat featured in Scalebound was to be a simple affair, this is still Platinum we were talking about, but what made Scalebound so at odds with people who are fans of the extreme action genre is the very thing that makes it special in the first place; Thuban, your partner dragon. The fact is, in games like Bayonetta for example, the player is in complete control. An experienced player laughs in the face of adversity because they understand their player character is the powerful one in this world, so while there might be a particularly difficult enemy or encounter, it comes down to mastering the powers of this character to succeed and nothing more. In Scalebound, that focus was on the synergy between two beings, rather than the mastery of one. Not only that, but Thuban is capable of acting independently of Drew, the exact opposite of that level of control you see in an extreme action game. Not only would the player have had to manage powers and equipment for Drew over a longer period and to a level of detail deeper than your typical action game, but there's a much larger and much stronger partner you must build a relationship with to succeed.

"One thing that's been on my mind as we make Scalebound is that is actually no good to always make Thuban act "Ideally". We have this character whose huge and alive, and if he just does everything you want him to...How can I put this? Thuban feels a lot stronger when you can't completely control him. We want players to feel what it's like to head into battle with a large, powerful, and independent partner. I've been thinking that that's the key to the games true impact. "

-Yusuke Miyata

That all said, basic combat with Drew seemed like familiar territory to those who have played similar genre games: You mixed up between a variety of different attacks, strong and weak button presses switching (preferably in a row with no damage taken to interrupt you) the type of attack and other factors like speed, damage, and range all based on the button pressed and the weapon equipped. Prior to the games cancellation, we had seen a few of these weapons in-game, including what appears to be a greatsword, a longsword, a bow, a spear, and a usable shield:

Spear/Greatsword
ScornfulDescriptiveAmericanratsnake.gif

Bow (With explosive tips)
SpicyFoolishGopher.gif

Shield
ExcellentEmbellishedBasenji.gif

Longsword
BabyishSlipperyIndochinahogdeer.gif

Multiple Weapons/Multiplayer

Mines (electric/paralyzing)
WastefulQueasyBurro.gif

(From the version we had seen gameplay of, it seemed weapon durability was also a thing)

Next, we had Drews "Dragon Arm". I mentioned early that it served as an in-game reminder of Thuban's health, but it also came with its own nifty bag of tricks. First, a tether of sorts used to propel you towards the enemies in order the mount them, like an odd hybrid of Just Cause and Dragon's Dogma, for example:

ImaginaryNimbleGalapagoshawk.gif

Secondly, the arm also allows Drew to rapidly fire blue orbs out of it, damaging enemies it can hit.

WaryRaggedCock.gif

Lastly, the Dragon Arm can overtake the rest of Drew's body, granting him enhanced speed, damage, and overall abilities. This "Dragon Mode" is managed by a meter located under the current health bar, and only lasts a brief time (Can be upgraded to last longer, of course) during which Drew can fight on par with Thuban, tackling giant monsters up close and personally:

SBE3Dragonmode.gif

Outside of the player character, we would have had the massive dragon Thuban to assist us on the battlefield. Thuban was to be a powerhouse capable of outrageous outputs of damage, breathing fire, crushing foes, and delivering kick ass flash kicks were just a few of the possibilities, and adding even more is the fact that Thuban was quite customizable. Change his fire breath to an icy roar of frost, customize his horns and his skin color to your liking, equip him with metal blades attached to his tail to enhance his close quarters capabilities. You can even change the very dragon-type Thuban is, perhaps making him a slower, ground based dragon, or possibly making him a high-speed aerial monster. It also seems the player can give Thuban basic instructions to guide him a bit on the battlefield, such as attacking a specific enemy or base.

Players were also capable of playing the game cooperatively with friends, and utilizing the different style options for both Drew and Thuban to create your own unique combination of player and partner would have been a heavy focus in cooperative play. At the Microsoft E3 2016 press conference, Hideki Kamiya was bought on stage to premier the first official Scalebound multiplayer gameplay, as well as the first look at how the games larger bosses were supposed to be handled. During the gameplay, 4 player controlled Drew's, all with their own personalized Thuban's, battled together to defeat a goliath sized enemy Scorpion, were we saw a couple of new gameplay mechanics such as:

Dragon riding (and what appears to be "thrusting")
SBE3.gif

And Dragon "propelling" (which can be done outside of boss battles if you can get Thuban to agree)
SBE3Dragenpropel.gif

Shortly after, it was during Gamescom 2016 that an entirely new mechanic in the game was revealed, although no footage exists of it in action:

"Enter the dragon.

Activate Dragon Link mode with a quick button press, and you'll switch to a first-person view, looking over at your beast's position. You'll be rooted to the spot, but you'll have a nice, pulled-out cinematic perspective on your combat-lizard's position. And you'll now have full control of his actions.

I cannot emphasize this next point hard enough. When it's big monster vs. big monster, Scalebound immediately turns into the best Godzilla game you've ever imagined. Two giant beasties knocking lumps out of each other in close proximity, but with a weighty finesse and versatility that could only come from the studio that managed to make Transformers fun and dynamic to play.

And now you have many more options. You can use your dragon to soften the other monster up. You can use him to smash open weak points that you can then rush in to exploit with your blade. But best of all - and this is the thing that really matters - you can set up huge combos that require dexterous co-operation between the two of you.

Let rip with a dragon combo, and you might be able to trigger a launcher. And yeah, that's exactly as ridiculous a sight as you're imagining. House-sized ape aloft, you can then disengage Dragon Link and charge forward to safely catch it with a juggling sword flurry as it plummets, using the extra air-time to safely activate your own powered-up state on the way in.

This, already, is excellent stuff. Not only does Scalebound have a great combo system, it has a combo system that can span entire arenas without dropping a hit
. And it also looks nonsensically cool. But it doesn't stop there. Because then Kamiya asks me to consider something. What if there were two giant gorillas, and my vulnerability during Dragon Link saw me getting stomped left, right and center? Then my dragon would be on attack and protection duty at the same time.

Or more interestingly, I'd have to ration my use of Dragon Link, constantly shifting my position and setting up all kinds of safe opportunities on the fly. Suddenly it really feels like a Platinum game. And then there's co-op, with the potential for designated guardian Dragons clearing space and running security for the designated Linkers.

The scope of Scalebound just exploded. What once felt like an intriguing and but unfocused concept now feels like an immensely well-considered combat ecosystem where fresh ideas and huge scale dovetail with layered strategy and thoughtful finesse. Basically, in half an hour, Scalebound just went from confusing curio to a game I'm going to be keeping a very enthusiastic eye on until its release. Having now finally seen the real game in action, I'd advise that you do the same."

Source: Gamesradar- Scalebound has been hiding a fundamental gameplay system from us.

While it's a shame we never got to see this particular mechanic in action, players familiar with the PS2 classic Robot Alchemic Drive might have a solid idea of what they were going for:

H-ee1u.gif

IV. Death

Less than 5 months after its last showing in a private session at Gamescom 2016, Scalebound was canceled. In the time since the games cancellation, we have seen a lot of ideas floated around as to what could have went wrong. Regardless of my own opinions of the situation, or the opinion of others, id like to keep this post limited to what we do know, and I think it would be best to give the information we have from both Microsoft and Platinum games.

On Microsoft's end we have had a few different interviews but they all essentially boil down to the same reasoning offered in the beginning:

"Today, Spencer shed more light on what happened behind the scene, giving his insight on why the game was canceled in an interview on the Japanese site GameWatch.

Spencer mentions that he shares the disappointment for the game's discontinuation, and he has deep respect for everyone at PlatinumGames, the studio to which his friend Hideki Kamiya belongs.

During the long time in which Microsoft and PlatinumGames worked together on Scalebound, they have learned a lot about game development from each other. Spencer believes that they're a very unique studio, and he hopes to work again with Kamiya-san, who plays an important role in the gaming industry.

His opinion is that perhaps the game was announced too early as PlatinumGames strives to create huge games that have no equal among existing titles in things like size, scale of multiplayer and more.

However since the announcement was too early, it created pressure, influenced development, and raised the hurdles on the way to the goal. As a result, this created a situation in which both companies were in doubt on whether the game could offer what the fans wanted. Due to that, it was decided to discontinue Scalebound's development.

Ultimately, Spencer respects PlatinumGames, and understands the disappointment among Xbox fans. The whole situation has become a big learning for him"

Source: https://www.dualshockers.com/scalebound-phil-spencer-explains-canceled-hopes-hideki-kamiya/

And on Platinum's end, a much simpler response:

Regarding the Cancellation of Scalebound

We're sorry to say that on January 9, 2017, Microsoft Studios announced the cancellation of Scalebound. We are very disappointed things ended up this way, especially since we know many of our fans were looking forward to this game as much as we were.

Going forward, we will strive to continue delivering high-quality games to you, starting with NieR:Automata in March, and including products like GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link and LOST ORDER in the future.

We will keep working hard to meet your expectations and we look forward to your continued support!

President and CEO

Kenichi Sato

Source: https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/9223

Of course, the sad reality is we might never the know the real reasons that resulted in the games cancellation.

Now, I hope that those of you who were interested in Scalebound learned something from this thread, and on the slight chance any of you might have been involved in this project, know that despite how things turned out, I truly believe you were on to something special.

Concept Art:

1d_02_0011.jpg

drew_wp_sword_new.jpg

1d-armor-00_jr4w.jpg

env-night-c1_2qjy.jpg

2dvtar_mantis_pm8.jpg

scalebound-platinum-action-with-deep-rpg-systems_ng3r.640.jpg

envsatellite04jpg-73e5e4_1024w.jpg

CW2k2tkWUAA9SF3.jpg:large

Screenshots:

GC2016_Scalebound_EarthTribeVillage.png

Scalebound_E32016_04_Thuban-Flight-Catch.jpg

GC2016_Scalebound_ThubanDragonDefault.png

GC2016_Scalebound_ThubanDragonArmor.png

GC2016_Scalebound_ThubanDragonModified.png

Flying .gifs:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Media:

Gamescom 2015 Gameplay

E3 2016 Multiplayer Gameplay

Articles:

Everything You Need to Know – IGN First

Scaled back - Microsoft confirms: Xbox One exclusive Scalebound has been canceled

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Such a shame I was really looking forward to this game, its the reason I sold my Xbox to upgrade my PC theirs no Japanese games on Xbox like at all and all the first party games are coming to PC now anyways its best to have a PS4 or Switch at this point combined with a PC their wont be much you miss.

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
This was one of my most anticipated games. A total blow to my faith in the Xbox brand. I really think this game could've been something special.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Now, with that said, I'd like to preface this by saying everything I'm about to say is my opinion rather than any type of fact, but I would be lying if I said I don't think it's as simple as what's above. While the game certainly may have had its share of developmental issues, I believe that's only part of what actually happened. Make no mistake, I believe Microsoft failed this project, and failed Platinum games far more than anything on Platinum's end. And I say these things as a long-time supporter of Xbox. The marketing team in charge of presenting this game to the masses should take a good honest look at what they did here, and understand that they bear some (a lot) of the responsibility in this situation.

From the original CGI trailer, revealed years too early with almost no information on the game following that…

To the first gameplay trailer at Gamescom 2015, where we were presented with a very much work in progress look at the games combat and nothing else. The games selling point was an ARPG made by Platinum, and instead of showing off the world and RPG mechanics, we got modern music and some dull action with only a few seconds of that P* brilliance. I'm going to guess not many people even saw stuff like this:

Scaleboundtown.gif

Which is just ridiculous, considering that's what the people excited for the project wanted to see.

It wasn't until the game was on its last legs that we even got an in-depth look at Dragon customization, which you would think would be a main selling point for a game with a dragon for a partner, not mention never getting to see large scale combat whatsoever…

And finally, there's E3 2016. I mentioned earlier that this was to be the first time they revealed the multiplayer aspect of Scalebound, but what I forgot to mention was that the footage had the impact of a wet towel smacking you in the face in terms of audience reception. The game looked clunky, slow, and just not fun or focused, and while many people simply wrote this off as just another poor showing from the game, looking back it's hard not to believe that this was the moment that cost the game its life. Following E3 2016, the game would never be seen in the public eye again and was canceled before the next E3.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I still feel like it didn't demo very well and I don't really like the characteristics of the protagonist, but I was still looking forward to this. Really curious how much of Kamiya's vision got changed through the development.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Never thought it looked completely bad from all the previews, but my hype was focused around other games, and this one was on the backburner no matter how much I enjoyed MGR.

I will say, I like how dynamic the relationship between Drew and Thuban looked. Just awesome, through and through.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible thread. Looking forward to reading it more thoroughly, but I must give you props! When is that "Like" button going live?!

Seriously. Great thread. Incredibly informative. The optimist in me (wants) to believe isn't the last we'll see or hear of SB. But yeah... missed opportunity if I ever saw one.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread OP, very informative! I learned some new things and a few of these screenshots/artworks I hadn't seen yet.
I love the one for the Holidays.

This was one of my most anticipated games. First time I saw footage I was so excited about it, and had been awaiting the release in baited breath ever since.
I know the chances are slim to none, but how I wish this would somehow become a released game!

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Especially the stuff about this game's early development is awesome, and I'd never heard about any of it. Great stuff, OP.

And yeah, I so badly hope that the combat system from this can somehow be recovered in a Drakengard game or something, considering how Nier: Automata saved Platinum when this cancellation had them looking seriously endangered.

Of course I'd understand Kamiya not wanting to let his baby go, but I'd rather see it brought to life than not.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
damn -- such a shame this game didn't come to life.. I hope it gets resurrected at some point in the future. It looked really good.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I know there's no proof but I still theorize MS tried to shoehorn multiplayer into the game and that might have been why things fell apart. Guess we'll never know.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I had just bought an Xbox One when this was cancelled and it was the main reason I bought one. I was salty as fuck. Super happy it made me buy the console in retrospect but I was seriously pissed off at MS. I always felt the game could have been among the greats this gen. We'll probably never know sadly.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread actually sold me this game more than anything Microsoft showed with their E3 conferences. Now I'm more sad about this.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt so bad for Kamiya and his team at Platinum when news of the cancellation came out. Hope it gets resurrected somehow, at least in spirit.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I know there's no proof but I still theorize MS tried to shoehorn multiplayer into the game and that might have been why things fell apart. Guess we'll never know.

While I agree that MS almost certainly was responsible for several decisions that hurt the development of the project, I don't believe multiplayer was one of them.

Mainly because even in the original announcement trailer from back at E3 2014, multiplayer was heavily hinted at:

That said , I could see MS attempting to turn traditional cooperative play into something that resembles their more GAAS-focus these days as being a source of issues.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I still miss it. Sure it wasnt the most polished game etc but i loved the Artstyle, your dragon buddy looked awesome and i liked the protagonist too.
Oh and it had Coop, was looking forward to that aspect the most.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, an open world RPG by Platinum seemed like a great idea. Taking their great gameplay and advancing beyond mission menus for the game structure surrounding it.

But nothing they showed of Scalebound looked as fun combat gameplay wise as Bayo/MGR. It wasn't the Platinum style I wanted.

Perhaps Nier or the Granblue game might be more of what I wanted. But they won't ever be on Xbox. I bet on the wrong horse and have to hold this L.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the only reasons why I got my Xbox One...

So sad it got cancelled... Got damn it.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I could never understood what the gameplay was about. But, I never turn down the opportunity to play a PG developed game.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I imagine this fell apart due to a combination of Platinum's vision for the game not being compatible with Microsoft's shift to GaaS, Platinum's inexperience with UE4, and the game simply being too ambitious for the XB1 hardware (especially in multiplayer). But just my guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I know the game apparently wasn't coming along together that well, but shit, I'd have been happy to just fly around on a dragon in a big open world and fight random scrubs.

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for all the great games that came out the start of this year (and NieR being a huge success for Platinum), 2017 would've been a major bummer just from hearing about this game's cancellation. Seriously, seeing that Dragon Link in action would've been so spectacular, and the idea of it giving a similar vibe to R.A.D.'s gameplay excites me so much. But we'll never see it now.

Really hope Kamiya and his team got something else cooking that we can hopefully see in the next year or two. Already four years passed since Wonderful 101. I want to know what my favorite director has planned and see it succeed.

Oct 26, 2017
Ah man such a fucking shame. I remember the first proper footage and how awesome it looked and when they later in articles revealed that it would have towns with NPCs with quests and just a big big game I started looking forward to it.

Could have been a great game to have with the One X this year. Thing is, we don't know in what state the game was when Spencer decided to cancel it sadly.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent write-up OP, which is ironic since it centres around, at least for me and several others it seems, one of the biggest let-downs in the industry for the last decade.

dannycoxr

Oct 27, 2017
This game was one of the main reasons for picking up a xbox 1, shame.

Learned my lesson, don't pick consoles based on exclusive announcements that aren't releasing anytime soon.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy an Xbox One but I certainly would have if this game had released. A shame, I was really excited to play it. Great write-up!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fantastic read but damn if this one still doesn't sting. Just thinking of the possibilities this had and knowing that since MS owns the IP and all the created content it will never see the light of day just hurts.

Jez from Windows Central tells us about the cancellation and some more details

Jez

Windows Central
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. Thanks for the link to Windows Central too. I'd been DM'd some rumors about Scalebound being killed, but I didn't believe it, figured there was no way Microsoft would kill such a big flagship project. I'd recently interviewed Hideki Kamiya and JP Kellams who both seemed really upbeat about the project, so it just seemed really odd that this kinda rumor would be circulating. Later that same day, I got a call from Microsoft, offering us early access to some news on the state of Scalebound. I was pretty stunned.

We had a brief 15 minute Q&A, they wouldn't offer details on why it had been killed. I asked about the gap it was gonna leave in Microsoft's lineup, and they gave a typical PR response pointing to other games in the lineup (many of which have now been delayed). I think it was pretty soon after Scalebound got killed that the central criticism of today's Xbox started focusing on exclusives, and I don't think that's going to go away any time soon.

A few weeks later and after a few conversations with people I know who were involved with the project (no names, sry), the impression I was given was that Platinum missed a few development milestones. There was definitely a sense, at least a rumor, within Microsoft that PG was essentially putting Microsoft's $$$ towards projects like Nier Automata. Whether that's true or not I don't know, I never got PG's side of the story, so take that with a pinch of salt (and that's why I never published that rumor really). I was also told that the main character was a point of contention, considered to be unappealing to mainstream Western audiences. Again, don't know if 100% true.

I think Scalebound would've been really good if things had gone better. I saw the game running at E3 on a console that year and, sure it was a demo, but it seemed really solid, at least conceptually.

I'm happy over all with my Xbox, but that's mainly because of third-party games. I think for those who are concerned about missing out on exclusives will continue to consider the Xbox a tough sell, even with 6TF.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Looked awful in every showing that they've given the game. MS's hands were too deep into the production.

Best to keep Kamiya's track record spotless instead of a big ol' blot known as Scalebound.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
A few weeks later and after a few conversations with people I know who were involved with the project (no names, sry), the impression I was given was that Platinum missed a few development milestones. There was definitely a sense, at least a rumor, within Microsoft that PG was essentially putting Microsoft's $$$ towards projects like Nier Automata. Whether that's true or not I don't know, I never got PG's side of the story, so take that with a pinch of salt (and that's why I never published that rumor really). I was also told that the main character was a point of contention, considered to be unappealing to mainstream Western audiences. Again, don't know if 100% true.

so what you are saying is Platinum pulled a Gearbox move hm

I don't think I can believe that.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I never got to hear about the "Dragon Link" mechanic.

Like, when news hit about the cancellation, it was just kinda tragic. But after hearing about that, the cancellation of this game fucking hurts.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Great thread. Thanks for the link to Windows Central too. I'd been DM'd some rumors about Scalebound being killed, but I didn't believe it, figured there was no way Microsoft would kill such a big flagship project. I'd recently interviewed Hideki Kamiya and JP Kellams who both seemed really upbeat about the project, so it just seemed really odd that this kinda rumor would be circulating. Later that same day, I got a call from Microsoft, offering us early access to some news on the state of Scalebound. I was pretty stunned.

We had a brief 15 minute Q&A, they wouldn't offer details on why it had been killed. I asked about the gap it was gonna leave in Microsoft's lineup, and they gave a typical PR response pointing to other games in the lineup (many of which have now been delayed). I think it was pretty soon after Scalebound got killed that the central criticism of today's Xbox started focusing on exclusives, and I don't think that's going to go away any time soon.

I think Scalebound would've been really good if things had gone better. I saw the game running at E3 on a console that year and, sure it was a demo, but it seemed really solid, at least conceptually.

I'm happy over all with my Xbox, but that's mainly because of third-party games. I think for those who are concerned about missing out on exclusives will continue to consider the Xbox a tough sell, even with 6TF.

Thanks for stopping by with the info Jez, appreciate the work you do at WC.

As for your post, that's a lot to take in.

I cant say its surprising how many people were caught off guard by this projects cancellation as the very idea of them canceling a AAA RPG made by an famed Japanese developer when their lineup was looking the way it did was seemingly crazy. That's without getting into Xbox's already nonexistent rep in Japan, and situations like True Fantasy Online. Here we are a year later and almost nothing has changed, no replacements to look forward to, E3 2018 still more than half a year away, and not a single sign of Xbox popping up anywhere until then. Looking back your absolutely on the money, you could see this general attitude towards them pick up almost immediately after the cancellation, and it hasn't gone anywhere since. All the smash hit indie titles and cute platformers in the world aren't going to change that, as much as I enjoy them. Ill be getting a One X as well, but that's to enhance my existing library rather than any anticipation of what's to come.

I don't have much of a comment on the P* diverting funds info besides that's some serious shit if they did and would explain just how quickly everything went down, but the odds of that coming to light at this point I'm guessing are pretty low.

I just wish they would have taken what they had and did something with it instead of scrapping everything and letting all that work sit around some basement in Redmond. But then again if you look at their history, there's at least a lot of stuff down there keeping Scalebound company.

Lugnutal

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Awesome price OP!!! I had high hopes for this one. It scratched my gaming itch good (RPG, dragons, big open world, dragons, flying dragons...lol). With a great developer in Platinum, and maybe a bit more time, this could have been a good un!!