• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I need to give this another shot. I played the first few levels on Apple Arcade and was not feeling it, it looks and sounds amazing but the gameplay felt braindead.

I've loved every one of Simogo's other games though, and seeing all the positive impressions makes me think maybe I was missing something.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this on Xtortion''s recommendation, the presentation is simply inspired. Gameplay is fast and fluid — I can see this being highly replayable trying to snag every heart. It's also super-clever how there's no real game over state (from what I can tell); seems more like you just get looped back into the moment you were hit, with a score penalty, and this allows them to keep the music synced. Neat idea.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I just started this on Xtortion''s recommendation, the presentation is simply inspired. Gameplay is fast and fluid — I can see this being highly replayable trying to snag every heart. It's also super-clever how there's no real game over state (from what I can tell); seems more like you just get looped back into the moment you were hit, with a score penalty, and this allows them to keep the music synced. Neat idea.

L E T ' S P O P

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just too snobby. I've never tried Rez or Tetris Effect which might be more my jam so I'll pick those up when they're on sale.

Well, Tetris is still Tetris, just with lots of fantastic audiovisual bells and whistles on that. And Rez Infinite is Panzer Dragoon reimagined with the most awesome presentation bolted on.

I'd basically say both are at the very least equal to Sayonara Wild Hearts as a sensory experience (personally I think Rez Infinite is light years ahead) and with the added bonus of being proper games that control well and have (mostly in case of Rez) lots of great additional things like new game modes or graphic filters worth spending the time to unlock.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Played the switch version in the weekend on a big tv

it is beautifull and amazing and more cinematic and deep than anything kojima ever did

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Can anyone help me figure out if this was ever shown in a Nintendo Direct specifically? I could have sworn it was, but as near as I can tell, the only trailer that was ever shown at a big event was during the Game Awards 2018. I have this memory of watching the direct and instantly falling in love with the game, but I guess it was the game awards?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone help me figure out if this was ever shown in a Nintendo Direct specifically? I could have sworn it was, but as near as I can tell, the only trailer that was ever shown at a big event was during the Game Awards 2018. I have this memory of watching the direct and instantly falling in love with the game, but I guess it was the game awards?
it wasn't, not even in a nindie showcase. the game basically had two big showings, at the game awards last year, and at apple's conference this year.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
It probably felt like a Nintendo Direct since that was where they announced Joker for Smash as well.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's surprisingly hard to move around in this game and get the Gold ranks, but it's a fun challenge. I'm at Heartbreak III. Absolutely loving the uncut storytelling, abundance of women in playful fights, and dream pop songs.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It had been on my mind a lot lately, and thanks to positive word of mouth, I decided to finally buy it tonight. Amazing experience! Such wonderful music and visuals. Can't wait to achieve every riddle requirement.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Finished, was fun but I didn't like how sluggish and unresponsive you felt in a lot of levels, I get it's there for balance or whatever but still

I also wished it was possible to disable the sound effects for the button prompts and picking up hearts

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh man what the hell the album arcade doesn't save progress at all?

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up on sale and just finished it.

My review
tenor.gif

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Picked this up on sale and just finished it.

My review
tenor.gif

Did the same last night.

I agree haha.

Great game, but I also love stuff like REZ and Child of Eden. This was a fun and interesting game to run through and I might come back to it occasionally through the new year as a chill "I need it" type game. Pretty sure I'll never gold every stage and what not though.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Was craving the OST and it's on Amazon for like £7.99 but on sale + OST on Steam for like £12 or something so double dipped for the Steam version with the OST.

Easily the best OST of the year. And potentially Best Style.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Finally got around to playing and beating this in one sitting on Switch after buying it on sale. Initially, I was shocked at how unmoved I was for almost the entirety of the game. The gameplay was more frustrating than fun, the songs, while great, didn't sync much with the levels and the scoring system seemed a tad unfair. Plus, don't even get me started on that
snapping level. Fucking painful.
I was really caught off guard as a game centered around bright colors and pop music is so up my alley that it basically owns the alleyway but I wasn't feeling much... until the end.
That last run through the bosses again was pretty neat but when she started to beat them by kissing them, I got choked up instantly. Riding the dragon felt triumphant, it truly felt like rising out of a depressive episode often does for me. Then the narrator started speaking and the line "Now you must go and find harmony on your own. Sayonara, wild heart!" completely broke me. I burst into tears.

I have had the worst year of my life between losing my dog of 14 years, having to leave a long term relationship after she turned emotionally abusive and so, so much more and I've felt like I've been stuck in a depressive episode for months, going through my life either entirely numb or downright miserable. It's been hard to feel much some days, especially anything like genuine sentimentality and hope. Hearing those words and then seeing the main character's heart literally reassemble and go back inside of her followed by that absolutely beautiful end credits song just had me holding the controller and weeping for a solid twenty minutes. I feel so much love, appreciation and gratitude for this game right now. I wish I had more words but I'm just too stunned.

I may not have liked the gameplay much but this instantly became one of my favorite games of the year with that ending. That all meant the world to me. I'm so glad that I played through this - I needed this.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is an audiovisual success.

And a game design failure unfortunately. I couldn't engage with what little gameplay it has. Rez this ain't. And even as simple as it is, I didn't like the controls either, it all felt really finnicky and granular, it's really easy to miss hearts you think you're going to get, and often you can't even see shit to be honest. Really wish there was more or any substance to it, but I did kinda enjoy my 80 minutes with it regardless.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and without a doubt my GOTY for 2019. I'm already a sucker for rhythm games, but the presentation, not to mention the stellar soundtrack, absolutely blew me away. Hats off to the guys and gals at Simogo, fantastic work.

I don't care how you do it, but I need a sequel! PLEASE!

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
You know a game is good when you buy the OST of said game, right after being done playing with it. Sayonara Wild Hearts truly is an amazing gem, I was blown away by it on all accounts, whether it be the absolutely stunning and beautiful art direction, animation, as well as gameplay that always tries new things, always feels refreshing and inventive without ever feeling punitive. This game brought me a lot of joy, and it was an amazing ride for the hour that I played it. Totally on my top 10 GOTY 2019 list!

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up on Steam finally. Amazing game, my only complaint is it could be perfection if there was a VR option, the game seems ideal for it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Only just heard about it, bought it, and finished it.

This game is incredible.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I just played through this. It would have absolutely made my GotY list had I played it earlier. I think it is a beautiful game. I also think the gameplay is criminally underrated. It is very simple, but it has that classic arcade style itch. I loved it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the game is now available on xbox one, and the thread has been moved back to gaming. xbox players, yall better not sleep on this.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
wish i had known that it was coming to xbox. i bought it on switch.

think i'm going to double dip on this one though.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this almost everyday during my commute. The soundtrack is totally up my alley and it surprisingly never stays boring for me.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really struggling with the timing of the button presses on Xbox One X compared to the PS4 Pro version. It would seem like there's more input lag but I'm not sure.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
I LOVE this game.

just beat it for the first time and just had a huge smile on my face the whole time. even when I was shit at it.

this game has so much style and is so fun to experience. it starts out charming and just gets better from there.

more people should really play this game. thanks to everyone here who listed it as their fave of 2019 and sang it's praises. it really is worth the hype and is a real steal for the asking price.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an iPad recently and this was my first game using Apple Arcade. I just now beat it and I really loved it. What an awesome concept.

The sights and sounds were overwhelming, and I've even been listening to the album lately. My only complaint was that even with high sensitivity enabled it seemed not as sensitive as I would have liked.

Other than that? Terrific experience.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Played this one one sititng.

Its simple, clever, fast, pretty. Then some levels gets crazy inventive and intense.

The the last two levels hit Rez Infinite Area X level of pure bliss and video game perfection. Tears in my eyes. Best two hours of my life I could have asked for right now

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
México
WHY AM I CRYING?!

Why didn't I play this before? It was an amazing, sweet, and short experience. Everyone should play this, I didn't know what to expect but the nice reviews made me buy it and I'm definitely not disappointed. I'm glad I went in blind, it's such a RUSH, god!

tumblr_pe4p6xJF9m1r0x0jro1_500.gifv

I know what I'm going to be listening for the rest of the month.