• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 16, 2022
It's a big city and most of the heroes that live there don't even do hero stuff in the state. At least not exclusively.
It's just when they're all bunched up in NY, it gets sillier explaining why this dude or that lady don't help during this thing. At least with DC they can just say "I've got my own city!" with a straight face.

Fantastic Four gets a pass since they're rarely in this plane of existence to begin with, but thinking back on Bendis' New Avengers, it's kind of funny that in terms of heroes who weren't already there like Jessica Drew, Luke Cage, and Matt Murdock, Spidey, Cap, and Iron Man were the only ones who came to help at the Raft. Especially when you look back at how many showed up during Disassembled not long before that.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's just when they're all bunched up in NY, it gets sillier explaining why this dude or that lady don't help during this thing. At least with DC they can just say "I've got my own city!" with a straight face.

Fantastic Four gets a pass since they're rarely in this plane of existence to begin with, but thinking back on Bendis' New Avengers, it's kind of funny that in terms of heroes who weren't already there like Jessica Drew, Luke Cage, and Matt Murdock, Spidey, Cap, and Iron Man were the only ones who came to help at the Raft. Especially when you look back at how many showed up during Disassembled not long before that.
Yeah, but like I said, they live there, but they're not always there. The X-Men lived in Whestchester at the time but globe trotted frequently, same with the Avengers when they're alive.

Yeah, the Fantastic Four might end up in another dimension, but outside of the usual street level people, the other heroes like the X-Men might be in New Mexico beating up Weapon Plus or off fighting AIM in Uruguay. NYC might be the base of operations, but it isn't where they're spending their working hours.

If damn near every hero team didn't have a stealth jet that could get them anywhere on the planet in 12 seconds, sure,

That's definitely not to say that there shouldn't be more overlap, though. Next time Spider-Man is getting his ass handed to him, Luke Cage or Rogue should definitely show up for a few panels since it's likely they'll be in the neighborhood.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
If DC can answer hard questions than what is the answer to the question of them acting like they don't know what to do with my boy Tim Drake when they had the perfect model paved in gold for them in the Red Robin series and just ditched that.

Feb 16, 2022
Yeah, but like I said, they live there, but they're not always there. The X-Men lived in Whestchester at the time but globe trotted frequently, same with the Avengers when they're alive.

Yeah, the Fantastic Four might end up in another dimension, but outside of the usual street level people, the other heroes like the X-Men might be in New Mexico beating up Weapon Plus or off fighting AIM in Uruguay. NYC might be the base of operations, but it isn't where they're spending their working hours.

If damn near every hero team didn't have a stealth jet that could get them anywhere on the planet in 12 seconds, sure,

That's definitely not to say that there shouldn't be more overlap, though. Next time Spider-Man is getting his ass handed to him, Luke Cage or Rogue should definitely show up for a few panels since it's likely they'll be in the neighborhood.
If we're just thinking of the big leagues, yeah, that's fair. But when we really get down to it and list all the names, there's an astronomical density to capes in NYC in Marvel that it's absolutely insane lol

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
If DC can answer hard questions than what is the answer to the question of them acting like they don't know what to do with my boy Tim Drake when they had the perfect model paved in gold for them in the Red Robin series and just ditched that.
DC doesn't know what to do with the Batfamily except make them more miserable, undo their character development, or just straight up forget them.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If we're just thinking of the big leagues, yeah, that's fair. But when we really get down to it and list all the names, there's an astronomical density to capes in NYC in Marvel that it's absolutely insane lol
But once you remove the teams, it's all street level people and equals out to be no different than the amount of people in Gotham. And since these are areas with populations of nearly ten million each without even factoring the millions more from their metro areas, the amount of people tends to even out

The frequency of crazy ass supervillain and super-terrorist attacks is sillier than the amount of costumed heroes in general.

Feb 16, 2022
But once you remove the teams, it's all street level people and equals out to be no different than the amount of people in Gotham. And since these are areas with populations of nearly ten million each without even factoring the millions more from their metro areas, the amount of people tends to even out

The frequency of crazy ass supervillain and super-terrorist attacks is sillier than the amount of costumed heroes in general.
You're severely underestimating the number of NYC based heroes in Marvel lol. Gotham has nothing on NYC, that's for sure

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
"Why doesn't Bruce Wayne use his money to do x for Gotham?"

DC: He does, as well as y, z, and a through w too.

"Okay, then why is Gotham still shitty."

DC: Really fucking cursed.
That's such a stupid explanation, instead of making Gotham literally cursed to explain why bazillionaire Bruce Wayne can't just solve most of its problems with money they could just make Bruce less rich, make him wealthy enough to finance his Bat crusade but not rich enough that he could make most problems in the city go away by throwing money at them.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a stupid explanation, instead of making Gotham literally cursed to explain why bazillionaire Bruce Wayne can't just solve most of its problems with money they could just make Bruce less rich, make him wealthy enough to finance his Bat crusade but not rich enough that he could make most problems in the city go away by throwing money at them.
I think that actually is his current status quo. Or at least it was for a minute I haven't kept up. Bruce Wayne didn't have access to most of his fortune and so he was "just" a millionaire and had to fight crime with that.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Batman hire some cursebreakers? Maybe start his own Hogwarts. Run an America's Got (Magical) Talent TV show if recruitment's an issue.

Like, not only are curses apparently the root of all Gotham's problems, but also magic is real and here's Batman outfitting his squad with grappling hooks and taser staffs.
Some magic people tried and got their ass kicked by Gotham lol

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Because then it is irresponsible for him to use his limited wealth to personally fight crime with an assortment of gadgets and weaponry instead of using it for philanthropy.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

Or if they were being honest, Batman fixing Gotham means no more comics.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Because then it is irresponsible for him to use his limited wealth to personally fight crime with an assortment of gadgets and weaponry instead of using it for philanthropy.
He could still run or support charities without being Gotham's Bill Gates. I don't mind that he's rich, that and the playboy persona he presents as Bruce are part of the character but I think a year or two ago his net worth was $100 billion. That's absurd.

Or if they were being honest, Batman fixing Gotham means no more comics.
Of course, but having him be less rich is a more elegant solution in my opinion. It's weird that they made him so rich that they created a new problem and solved it by making Gotham a cursed lazarus pit demon swamp cesspit of hell.

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
He could still run or support charities without being Gotham's Bill Gates. I don't mind that he's rich, that and the playboy persona he presents as Bruce are part of the character but I think a year or two ago his net worth was $100 billion. That's absurd.

Of course, but having him be less rich is a more elegant solution in my opinion. It's weird that they made him so rich that they created a new problem and solved it by making Gotham a cursed lazarus pit demon swamp cesspit of hell.
This post doesn't make any sense. If Bruce Wayne is using his money for his personal crusade without helping Gotham in the other ways it needs, then he's being a shitty person.

If Bruce Wayne is still able to dump infinite money into charitable organizations and the other things he contributes to while still waging his personal crusade, what difference does it make how much money he has on paper? He's still functionally and infinityaire. You still have to explain why, with all of the money going into Gotham's betterment, shit's not getting much better.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Or Carter Hall/Hawkman.
They at least recently finally gave a complicated answer but one that makes sense in that all Hawkmen and hawkgirls are reincarnation through space and time to explain both the space cop hawk characters and the Egyptian ones

But yeah it's great how Hawkman became so unusable basically because editors weren't paying attention and he was replaced with an Angel on JL
A guy with wings and mace was more complicated than having a fucking angel hanging around with superheroes

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Just like in real life - aren't Bruce's charities something that would take years to decades to really notice the impacts? Isn't he always kinda time locked to being somewhere between 25 and 55 or so? It'd be nice if they had an older Bruce living in a slightly nicer Gotham.

The real question is why would anyone still be living in Gotham after several years of that nonsense?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Just like in real life - aren't Bruce's charities something that would take years to decades to really notice the impacts? Isn't he always kinda time locked to being somewhere between 25 and 55 or so? It'd be nice if they had an older Bruce living in a slightly nicer Gotham.

The real question is why would anyone still be living in Gotham after several years of that nonsense?

A lot of Gotham is really poor, there's likely a good portion of the population that couldn't leave even if they wanted to. For everyone else, it can be stubbornness, not wanting to leave their homes, or the property values being so low they can't afford similar lodgings elsewhere.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

I assume most are too poor to move and remember bludhaven is their neighbor lol
I think a batcomic had a line of the citizens becoming stubborn after all the villain attacks

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
beqpcjibb8r41.jpg

Sometimes they explain stuff that doesn't need to be explained.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The most important question being "Who's gonna give you a reach-around?"

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Can a descendant of someone struck with the godwave microwave a burrito so hot that they themselves could not eat it?