• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does that irritate you?

• Yes, it annoys me when an established series is announced with one of these

Votes: 342 55.2%
  • No, I don't mind

Votes: 278 44.8%

• Total voters

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
AK's CG trailer wasn't that far off from the game's graphics, so I was okay with it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd only really mind if it leaves things vague - like if all we see are Court of Owls people running around and it's not entirely clear if we're playing as them (god I hope not) or as Batman.

Usually in cases like that though we get a press release, unless it's very much a teaser.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I don't have any interest in CG trailers for video games, and frankly I don't understand why they're done at all. We're at a point where anything you want to convey story or character wise can be done in real time. There's no reason to introduce a game with a prerendered CG movie that has nothing to do with the actual experience of playing the game.

I hope there's some shard of reality on the multiverse where new movies are routinely unveiled by way of a video game version of it being shown
It's not the development team that makes the CGI trailer, so it's the only logical conclusion when the game is in first stages of development.

Oct 29, 2017
I feel to opposite. I only give it a pass if it is a famous franchise. They feel more useless for new IPs you know nothing about, while something like Warcraft 4 could honestly only need to show a logo.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
A CGI announcement trailer. A piece of paper with "Game X is being made" written in crayon. To me, they have about the same level of impact.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im expecting cgi since it's batman but i'll be happy still since the game will be finally revealed

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the development team that makes the CGI trailer, so it's the only logical conclusion when the game is in first stages of development.

So? Just don't announce the game until it's near enough to release to where they can show the game. I don't think games really need to have trailers years in advance. Movies don't do that, not sure why games do

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are we expecting the gameplay to not look like the dozen other games? I don't get what the big difference is in this case. It's just going to look like one of those games.

Any differences will come from tone and atmosphere, which a CG trailer can convey just as easily (if not better) than seeing batman leap over a guy to punch another guy.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I love me some cool CGI trailers but if I had to choose between never seeing a CGI trailer ever again or not it would be the first option no hesitation.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Hold up. Timeout. Tomb Raider can get away with CGI trailers since the fans are more interested in what the setting is and CGI is an impressive way to announce it. Most games don't get away with it though.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Within an established franchise, I'm more interested in where the story is going. So if the CGI team is tasked with making a trailer so the development team can keep at it, that's a non-issue for me. We know it's gonna look like a Rocksteady Batman game, just let me know what Batman's up against.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't mind cgi trailers when they give an exact date for gameplay or we see gameplay right after like at conference or similar. But cgi trailer then seeing something like 2022 pisses me the the hell off. Or we pretty much only see cgi trailers for a game like elder scrolls online, I get the game looks like garbage to a mass audience but at least do both.

Oct 27, 2017
If the first thing we get from WB Montreal after six years of silence is a CG teaser, then yeah, I'd be disappointed.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't care. CGI trailer is fine if you want to pitch the games story, atmosphere and/or theme. The Witcher 3 "killing monsters" cgi trailer is probably my favorite trailer from Witcher 3 for example. It wasn't the reveal trailer but still.

I want to know what their plan is for a new Batman is and a cgi trailer would totally enough for that, since I don't expect the gameplay to be drastically different.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
So? Just don't announce the game until it's near enough to release to where they can show the game. I don't think games really need to have trailers years in advance. Movies don't do that, not sure why games do

Movies have their existence known through press releases. There's a Batman movie due for 2021 that we first learned about in 2017.

I see CGI trailers can be an entertaining way to make those same announcements. A situation like MK11, where it's six months before release, is a little strange though.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I actually expect this to be the case lol, they have a track record.
It'll be annoying yeah and since I don't expect gameplay, it'll be a nice surprise if they show some.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. I'm not expecting anything from another current gen game's graphics anyway so I would be ok with them announcing it with a CGI trailer.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movies have their existence known through press releases. There's a Batman movie due for 2021 that we first learned about in 2017.

I see CGI trailers can be an entertaining way to make those same announcements. A situation like MK11, where it's six months before release, is a little strange though.

I guess, but there are times -- this past e3, for example -- where it's just one CG trailer after another, never any gameplay, and I can't help but feel let down. That's not what we play games for

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly liked the Batman CGI trailers. The one for Arkham Knight is amazing, but I also really like this (short) TV spot for Arkham Origins:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
An announcement is an announcement. It's better to know it's coming.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have a good track record so who cares. If the game isn't coming out any time soon, gameplay is worthless.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely CGI. Dropping you into gameplay immediately without setting up the premise seems like poor pacing. In an ideal world you would do CGI trailer into gameplay.

Oct 29, 2017
I hate CG trailers. If they're not going to tell you anything about at all about what the game is actually like, they may as well not have announced it.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't vote because Batman and I couldn't care less right now if the game is even announced or not, but the CG reveal of Elden Ring and then nothing at all is a very ugly thing to do. CG trailers must die and never ever return.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it's not a whole conference full of it EA did once. But anyways I expect it to be CGI but we get some screenshots next month.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm not interested in watching CG game trailers anymore. You can get me just as excited with a tweet reading "[developer] is working on a new game in [franchise]".

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who could be annoyed at knowing a new Batman game from the Arkham Origins devs is coming? Can't believe this is an issue for some.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind if it was being built from the ground up for next gen and wasn't coming til 2021

but given that rocksteady hasn't released a game since 2015, I'm expecting an announcement this year, crossgen release next year. so given how close we probably are from launch, we'll probably see some gameplay.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's only really an issue when we've been waiting more than like 5 years for the game. If you've been working that long and dont have in-game footage to show... what are you doing

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of tradition for Arkham games so I wouldn't mind that much. After so much time I kind of hope that the release date is relatively close though and that seems unlikely if they'd do a CG trailer