• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I have played: IV, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, FFT

My least favourite is FFVIII, but it has really good visuals for a PS1 game.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Balthier and Fran, at least, are really cool. (FF XII)

The enormously innovative job system really hit its stride here and would impact other games in the series, and JRPGs in general, in tremendously positive ways. (FF V)

It looks great, and it has Lightning in a starring role again. (LR: FF XIII)

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I like the thread idea. Instead I will say something good about each game as to hide which one I least like. XD

FFI - Has a great world and an interesting story twist.
FFII - Introduces many classic FF staples like chocobos!
FFIII - A great introduction to the job system
FFIV - Kain Highwind
FFV - The perfected Job System
FFVI - A compelling idea of a story
FFVII - Zack's story is very emotional
FFVIII - The character development is quite great
FFIX - Vivi 'nuff said
FFX - One of the best turn based battle systems
FFXI - Brought the FF franchise to MMO's better than I thought possible, incredible music
FFXII - Balthier is a baller and the opening is interesting
FFXIII - Has great art direction
FFXIV - Has some really banging tracks by Uematsu
FFXV - An incredibly likable cast of characters with good motivation and one of the best main villains

Oh and they all have amazing soundtracks and are all incredibly beautiful games!

Highly recommend each one and encourage anyone to check out any of the mainline ones that tickle their fancy.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Mainline:

FF9 has a beautiful art style and I thought the setting was fantastic. I also thought the town design was probably the best out of 7-8-9 (although 8 is my favorite of those 3 games) as the cities are charming, beautiful, sprawling and memorable. Good use of end-of-life PS1 tech! It also has some of the better summon designs, and Atomos, Odin, Bahamut and Alexander in cutscenes are all really memorable.

Spinoff:

I thought Type-O's initial premise of a wartorn region was cool and had a lot of potential.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Graphics and music were nice, and I appreciated having one of the few final fantasy games with a black main character, who in fact was the most likable and relatable character.

Their goal of splitting the game into a trilogy could have been really neat because you could really explore this world with these characters.

Edit: oh yeah 2 exists. Man the saga series kind of came from that sorta so ultimately it's worth it

Last edited:

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sazh was cool in FF13.

Mind you, I haven't played FF2, 3, or 5, and I'm sure there's quite a few spinoffs that I haven't played that might be worse than FF13.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Mainline: FF15 has great music and conceptually one of the best endings in gaming.
Spinoff: Type 0... had a potentially interesting premise.

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna say Type 0 because it gave me a migraine with the motion blur.

Great art and characters design at least from what I was able to play of it.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Never finished the original II but I'm going with one that I actually finished (and like) but still, is my least liked.

Tetra Master is cool (a little worse than Triple Triad), some fantastic songs and beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds

FFIX

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
FFII's Main Theme is among the great ones in series. Incredibly haunting, depressing, yet strangely hypnotic. No matter which version of the game you play, it's a good listen. A personal favorite of mine.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
FF7 was groundbreaking for it's time and an important piece of video game history and gaming/nerd culture.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised by the black dude in FF13 with the chocobo in his afro being the best written character in the game

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
XIII is that one hot chick who is undatable. But she's hot. Kind of. From afar.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I quite liked the menu in XV, and the menu music

If we're including spin offs I can't really think of anythinhg nice to say about Crisis Core, I guess the fmvs looked kind of impressive for a handheld game at the time...

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Masashi Hamauzu created a fantastic score for FFX.
Not really the thread to bring it up, but it's really irritating having Hamauzu credited for the FFX soundtrack like this (and lots of people do it). There's 51 tracks from Uematsu, 20 from Hamauzu and 18 from Junya Nakano. Just about any track anyone brings up is from Uematsu >.>

It's the first mainline game where he wasn't the sole composer, but he still did the majority of it.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
FFXIII has good graphics and great looking menus.

I barely remember the music. Didn't think there were any standouts.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
FFVIII had a really good aesthetic design. Gunblades are still pretty cool, if stupid. I also enjoyed the SeeD stuff, just a cool bit of world building, even if nonsensical.

The Man With the Machine Gun is also one of my favorite pieces of music not only from Final Fantasy, but video games as a whole.