• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would rather have 1x USB-C (I/O) instead if the 2x USB 2.0. Or simply one USB-C instead of one of the 2 USB 3.0.

Still, very cool.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some very puzzling reviews concerning video playback. Tom's Hardware (which I honestly don't respect on anything) had playback issues on almost everything. That seems odd and contradicts Wired. Wired, however, claims it does software decoding of video. The specs say it has hardware decoding of HEVC. I could really careless if .264 was what had software decoding, but I would assume HEVC would choke to death on software decoding. And if it had actual hardware decoding for HEVC, it should be able to hit the 4K@60fps in the spec sheet. So I guess I'm still left wondering whether it in fact has HEVC hardware decoding and whether it's up to snuff.
From what I understand it is a brand new GPU and only has support in the latest Linux Kernel. Kodi hasn't been optimised for it either. Give it a little bit and it should chew through 4k HDR video like a champ.

This is what Libreelec (standalone kodi) has to say about it:
In this initial release 1080p playback behaviour and performance on the 4B are broadly on-par with the previous 3B/3B+ model, except for HEVC media which is now hardware decoded and massively improved. New 4K video capabilities still have plenty of rough edges to be smoothed out, but the Pi Foundation developers have been pushing fixes to the Alpha test team at a phenomenal rate over the last month and that will continue as the userbase expands.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited to get one on my hands and subsequently pimping it out... not looking forward to finding new resources for totally legal nothing to see here move along move along ROMs though. RIP Emuparadise.

As far as emulation goes, is there anything other than major improvements to N64 and PS1 emulation that this new hardware could help out with? I suppose saturn is still too funky to emulate. I guess GBA could always use some smoothing out.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Very excited to get one on my hands and subsequently pimping it out... not looking forward to finding new resources for totally legal nothing to see here move along move along ROMs though. RIP Emuparadise.

As far as emulation goes, is there anything other than major improvements to N64 and PS1 emulation that this new hardware could help out with? I suppose saturn is still too funky to emulate. I guess GBA could always use some smoothing out.

Honestly, I may be way overshooting this but considering the claimed 3x CPU performance and the use of Cortex A72's I could see this managing to run a few Gamecube games.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I may be way overshooting this but considering the claimed 3x CPU performance and the use of Cortex A72's I could see this managing to run a few Gamecube games.
considering how phenomenal dolphin runs (assuming it would be using dolphin for emulation and not a GCN branch of retroarch) I can totally see this happening. That'll be hype as hell.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It can overclock to 1.75GHz (~17%) and 600MHz on the GPU (20%), considering Nvidia Shield's 1.9GHz A57 quad core is enough to emulate Gamecube, the CPU shouldn't hold back emulation on the faster A72 CPU, and it has faster RAM than the Nvidia Shield... GPU is obviously weaker than the Nvidia Shield, but I'm not sure how much is needed to emulate Gamecube, I'd venture to guess that it is indeed going to be possible to emulate Gamecube and even some Wii Games.

3DS might be possible too. Maybe PS2? (My Galaxy S7E has a A72 quad core processor and seems to do ok in this video, but it might be clocked over 2GHz)

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It can overclock to 1.75GHz (~17%) and 600MHz on the GPU (20%), considering Nvidia Shield's 1.9GHz A57 quad core is enough to emulate Gamecube, the CPU shouldn't hold back emulation on the faster A72 CPU, and it has faster RAM than the Nvidia Shield... GPU is obviously weaker than the Nvidia Shield, but I'm not sure how much is needed to emulate Gamecube, I'd venture to guess that it is indeed going to be possible to emulate Gamecube and even some Wii Games.

3DS might be possible too. Maybe PS2?

PS2 CPU needs are too insane so I can't see it doing that but as long as the GPU doesn't prevent it I could totally see Dolphin happening which insanely exciting to me. I can't wait to see tests.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 CPU needs are too insane so I can't see it doing that but as long as the GPU doesn't prevent it I could totally see Dolphin happening which insanely exciting to me. I can't wait to see tests.
Seems the A72 is capable of emulating PS2 games, I'm not sure what the clock requirement is, but my phone uses an A72 quad core processor and can play GoW2 at 30+FPS, though it might be overclocked from the 1.8GHz spec.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
CPU benchmark compared to the previous PI. The difference is staggering
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9MLzUvODQzMTYxL29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDMxLnBuZw==

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Aw man this looks just barely different enough that it won't fit in my RPi 3 case. Would have loved to keep the case and replace the Pi, but it's understandable for the hdmi/USBC upgrades.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
They did change the ports just to fuck over the megapi case, didn't they?
I hope this new one can run N64, Saturn and Dreamcast already.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
They did change the ports just to fuck over the megapi case, didn't they?
I hope this new one can run N64, Saturn and Dreamcast already.

With early benchmarks showing absolutely massive CPU performance upgrades (which was the main issue in emulation performance) and 2x+ GPU upgrades on top of the RAM speed blowing away old models it should run circles around N64 now.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
CPU benchmark compared to the previous PI. The difference is staggering
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9MLzUvODQzMTYxL29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDMxLnBuZw==

Wow, that's a big jump. I'm guilty of setting up a Pi 3 years ago and only using it for like a week, but... once drivers have been optimized for this thing and a bunch of cool cases are available, I might pick one up as a weekend project.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Mine'll ship later in July. Fine with the wait honestly...I think new cases for the redesign will be well underway, if not available, by then. But we'll see.

Regardless, this looks like a nice boost. They had to rearrange a few things, but that was expected.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just in time as I'm still building my arcade :)! Going to order this ASAP as I don't think I'm wrong to assume Naomi emulation will be much better improved and realistic. My dreams of a Versus cab setup for CvS2 are alive and well!

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Forgive my complete ignorance on this, but could this function as a Plex server for 4k video streaming?

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see what this does for N64. Anything more than that is mostly wishful thinking I guess.

Generally though most of what I use to screw around with on a Pi I moved on to doing with a Shield TV. But a Pi is so much cheaper still.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
gonna wait to see when everything is updated to see if i'm going to make the jump anytime soon.

my pi 3 basically does everything i want it to do, aside from n64 emulation which isn't close to being perfect even on a hotrod gaming rig

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I put in an order for a 4 GB version, although there is no estimate on ship date, might be something that arrives in a few months lol... Can't wait for better PS1, Dreamcast, and N64 emulation.

Microcenter will carry the 1 GB version which is probably the easiest place to find it, but I wanted the 4 GB version for maximum capability.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, proper emulation of N64 and up possible now?

I guess RetroPie will have to be updated to specifically support this, what with the new graphics drivers and such?

Also, is my RetroFlag NES case fucked with the moved HDMI and Ethernet ports?
I can't imagine 'proper' emulation is possible but it should improve greatly.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like 4GB versions aren't readily available in the US until mid-July. Bummer.

Was hoping to mess around with one this week.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
One of the big problem on Linux is that neither Firefox or Chromium have video hardware acceleration, so when watching a YouTube video the CPU is doing all the work.
There's a patch for Chromium to enable VA-API support, though it's currently broken on Intel and nVidia because of some implementation changes in recent Chromium builds.

I was just talking with a friend recently about how I'm tired of seeing everyone on the Pi bandwagon when there are better boards for about as cheap, then I wake up and see this on my news feeds. Kudos to the RPi team for stepping up to meet their "competition" in this space in a meaningful way.

I'm still not replacing the Pi that I use to controller the fan and monitor probe temperatures on my grill, however.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is it reasonable to use this to emulate SNES games while having a Plex server running in the background at the same time so that my father can stream stuff to our Nexus 9?
Would the 2 GB RAM version be enough for that or should I go for 4?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I already need like 2 of these lmao

Pi-Hole and Remote Desktop terminal/VPN.
Media player/Emulation box for my TV.

Can't wait to get one (or two)

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm definitely going to pick up one of the 4GB models when they're available, but I'm also going to wait until they pop up on Canakit's Amazon store - I'm not going to pay $14 to ship a Raspberry Pi and power supply (which is what Canakit charges directly) when I can get Prime shipping for the same thing.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm this may make a decent usb external hard drive NAS now for my Intel NUC Plex server. I am running OpenMediaVault on a raspberry pi 3 b+, but the shared bus for the ethernet and usb holds it back and maxes ~20 MB/s transfer speeds. Will have to keep an eye on a new build of OpenMediaVault that supports this.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Went with the 4gb for no reason. I think I like setting up devices that I can emulate on, then putting them to the side while I play Xbox. Makes no sense. Pricing with some add-ons(since 4gb is not the $35 everyone is raving about):

FIrkhNz.jpg